Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,405 members, 7,800,826 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Love Is An Algebraic Expression - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Love Is An Algebraic Expression (2469 Views)

is Sending Unclad Pictures An Expression Of Love? / Guys Checkout This Algebraic Equation Pix / Love Is Unfair: Why Don't Ugly Girls Get Love? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Is An Algebraic Expression by ochon: 11:11pm On Aug 02, 2014
Guest post by Mynd

Human emotions are funny. Well funny is a good way to describe it because any other thing is just inadequate. I remember a story about a man who opened a facebook account and used that account to flirt with his wife. He continued with it until his wife fell in love with that alternate person and was even thinking of leaving her husband for the handle. This got me thinking: was the wife really wrong or was there more to this than we see on the surface?

Now I once likened falling in love to Boolean algebras and Truth tables. Of course the inputs of anything will definitely determine the output and like Boolean algebra, most times, the input describe and give a definite answer on what our emotions will be towards the person with the inputs.

Just because a statement is true does not mean it is a fact, but what makes a statement true? It is the inputs. If a woman loves a man who is kind, listens to her and is always there for her, she is likely to fall in love with any man who shows such attributes; if the same woman also love men with with nice voices it is an addition.

Now if a woman loves men that are kind and caring, and while dating her husband he showed these attributes (lets call them inputs) the output might be the woman falling in love because he has fulfilled the conditions for the output to be love. So she loves him.

Imagine again if that same man stops being kind, although he is caring. He is the same man, she is the same woman but the inputs have changed. He has altered the inputs and this becomes a problem as the output might not be love anymore. She might not love him as before. She might not be as confident in him as before. She might find him inadequate which
means “altered output”.

Human emotions is like the “AND” and “OR” gates of a Boolean expression. While the AND gate says the output is positive if and only if the inputs are positive, the OR gate says the output is positive if at least one input is positive. In essence, the AND gate is like resistors in series and OR gate, resistors in parallel.

For none programing or science folks, if a person finds caring as a must in someone she will love, it will be implausible for her to love someone who is not caring. That input is missing as it is an “AND” expression. It must be present for her to love you.

So can we really blame the woman who fell in love with her husband’s alternate account?

He presented all the inputs she needed to fall in love. The expression was complete and total. He probably showed her all the qualities of the man her husband was when she fell for him and hence the result was Love. If he had not showed the attributes that triggered her emotions, it possibly won’t happen.

Now some people argue that women love the “Bad guys” but they forget that bad is relative. Sometimes, there is something these bad guys have that triggers the love output. A woman who love guys who can make her laugh and dance might be willing to endure the fact that he is a drunk and a spend thrift.

These attributes to her is just part of the “OR” gate expression. To her, it does not really matter as long as he has the positive attributes, the output will be love.

Does this explain why some women stick with their irresponsible spouses? Maybe. The man might be a sick person to the outside world but there is a part of him that just trigger those emotions in the spouse and because most humans can’t fight love (it is a factor of want and need), they fall hopelessly and fail to see the ills as a reason to leave him.

It is all Boolean algebra.

It is about dividing each attribute into where they should be for each person and the result will come naturally since the heart will love who the heart will love. Hell the heart loves even against our will.

Now on to what I said about how a statement can be true and not be a fact.

A man can love a woman because of some attributes (inputs). So the truth is that he is in love with her. But is it a fact? At that moment, it is true since the inputs are unchanged but immediately a new variable is added ie. the woman nags, it throws the dynamics into a new light and that true statement “He loves her” becomes untrue. Then we start wondering what
went wrong without wanting to check the inputs.

Facts don’t change, truths do because truths are present realities based on a series of events. If the series of events change, the results change.

Fact is that Acid+Base= Salt+Water because it is true for every Acid and Base input no matter the time or date, the output will be salt and water. But “Eze Loves Tolu” is not always true because in 5 months the dynamics might change, and although it is the same Eze and the same Tolu, love might not be the output.

………………….
Mynd is a smarty pants and a well known out-of-the-box thinker
amongst his friends. He broods as often as he writes poems and weaves enticing stories. Never mind he is a mathematical genius, this fella can make you wonder how he got all artsy.
Follow Mynd on twitter @Oluwamynd

http://pathsonwater./2014/07/17/love-is-an-algebraic-expression/

1 Like

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by waxdude: 11:19pm On Aug 02, 2014
undecided brb
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by ochon: 11:21pm On Aug 02, 2014
waxdude: undecided brb
Longest time my nigga from another mother. Missed our days on the BBA thread, hope you are good? Just checking on ya.
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by waxdude: 11:23pm On Aug 02, 2014
ochon: Longest time my nigga from another mother. Missed our days on the BBA thread, hope you are good? Just checking on ya.
i'm fine ohh....jst der..,same here too, too bad we connect only here on nl... undecided
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by Nobody: 11:30pm On Aug 02, 2014
WwW.Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by MizMyColi(f): 10:27am On Oct 23, 2014
Lolest.

In line with my new week goal of reading everything readable, I had to bring myself to read this.
I cringed at first.....I'm not a fan of maths or anything maths(ish).

So, I'm thinking, "if Ochon posted this, then it means he agrees with Mynd's views" shocked

Owh well, here's my take:-

Loving either of them would be quite herculean for my person.
Reason's not far-fetched.

undecided The Love would be too MATHEMATICAL
kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by lawrenceunaa: 10:41am On Oct 23, 2014
i take time to read
but BTW pls is mynd ,nl mynd44
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by ochon: 10:52am On Oct 23, 2014
MizMyColi:
Lolest.

In line with my new week goal of reading everything readable, I had to bring myself to read this.
I cringed at first.....I'm not a fan of maths or anything maths(ish).

So, I'm thinking, "if Ochon posted this, then it means he agrees with Mynd's views" shocked

Owh well, here's my take:-

Loving either of them would be quite herculean for my person.
Reason's not far-fetched.

undecided The Love would be too MATHEMATICAL
kiss kiss kiss

LOL. Do you just stay and start reading everything "readable"? I wish I could but I procastinate a lot. This thread is so old I never thought you'd dig it up. cheesy

Well, you thought wrong. tongue I don't actually agree with his views by the mere fact that I posted it here, I only posted it on here because I find that "scientific" appraisal of love, fascinating and mind boggling. Just like you, I'm not a fan of Mathematics/Engineering field so I couldn't understand the whole semantics of Boolean Algebra. when I found that post on UjSizzle's blog, I'd had to post it on NL, so people with a wider spectrum of understanding about the topic, can broach on it, unfortunately, no one did.

The love in the OP's post is too "Mathematical" for me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by ochon: 10:53am On Oct 23, 2014
lawrenceunaa:
i take time to read
but BTW pls is mynd ,nl mynd44

Yeah, that's him.
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by MizMyColi(f): 11:13am On Oct 23, 2014
ochon:

LOL. Do you just stay and start reading everything "readable"? I wish I could but I procastinate a lot. This thread is so old I never thought you'd dig it up. cheesy

Well, you thought wrong. tongue I don't actually agree with his views by the mere fact that I posted it here, I only posted it on here because I find that "scientific" appraisal of love, fascinating and mind boggling. Just like you, I'm not a fan of Mathematics/Engineering field so I couldn't understand the whole semantics of Boolean Algebra. when I found that post on UjSizzle's blog, I'd had to post it on NL, so people with a wider spectrum of understanding about the topic, can broach on it, unfortunately, no one did.

The love in the OP's post is too "Mathematical" for me.

Aha!
Good to know I'm not alone.

If I get Mynd44 correctly, he's saying that love's a give and take ish.
I quite understand that angle of human reasoning.

Yet,

There's a kind of love I aspire to, one that keeps its flames burning even in the face of opposition/absence of those "inputs".

I mean, given what we've been taught in the bible, which resonates/rings true in the hearts of so many - talking about God's Love.
You gotta give it up to him mehn.

I mean, how do you keep at loving a person who judging by every human standard isn't worth so much as "a like?"
Yet we're made to understand he loved us while we were yet sinners.
Hmmmm........
I just heard myself say "well undecided undecided that's why he is God"

But then again, wouldn't to be a bad idea to aspire to be like God, innit?
Y'know.......in that regard?

At this point, I concur with C.S Lewis - "If I find in myself, desires which cannot be fulfilled in this world, the only logical explanation's that I was made for/in another world.

#NoAlien
#JustAThoughtProcess
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by lawrenceunaa: 11:18am On Oct 23, 2014
ochon:

Yeah, that's him.
wow
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by justmag(m): 11:33am On Oct 23, 2014
shocked SEE ESSAY!!!
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by ochon: 4:06pm On Oct 23, 2014
MizMyColi:

There's a kind of love I aspire to, one that keeps its flames burning even in the face of opposition/absence of those "inputs".

I mean, given what we've been taught in the bible, which resonates/rings true in the hearts of so many - talking about God's Love.
You gotta give it up to him mehn.

I mean, how do you keep at loving a person who judging by every human standard isn't worth so much as "a like?"
Yet we're made to understand he loved us while we were yet sinners.
Hmmmm........
I just heard myself say "well undecided undecided that's why he is God"

Late reply. I got caught up in a frenzy of offline activities.

The part I quoted is what I like to term an "unconditional love." Unconditional love (the kind of love that keeps its flames burning, even in the absence of the "inputs/outputs" ) is unrealistic when it comes to especially "romantic love" IMHO. It's idealistic but highly unrealistic. It usually exist between a mother/father and her/his kids. It's the Agape love that God talked about.

I can't love back a person that doesn't worth even a "like." Not me mehn. I can love such a person for a given time frame, but after so much "benefit of doubt," hoping that he or she will reciprocate such love/care (in this case romantic love), and if she/he fails to, I let go (not talking about becoming enemies with the person). Most types of love is conditional, it's about give and take like you opined.

Love can be unconditional from parent-kids perspective in the sense that "blood" is involved. You'll see a mom that will love and not give up hope on her kid(s) that might be hurting her, no matter the situation. Like in the parable of the prodigal son. If that guy wasn't the man's son, I'm not sure he (the dad) would have taken him back easily when the prodigal son returned. Catch my drift?

1 Like

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by MizMyColi(f): 4:22pm On Oct 23, 2014
ochon:

Late reply. I got caught up in a frenzy of offline activities.

The part I quoted is what I like to term an "unconditional love." Unconditional love (the kind of love that keeps its flames burning, even in the absence of the "inputs/outputs"wink is unrealistic when it comes to especially "romantic love" IMHO. It's idealistic but highly unrealistic. It usually exist between a mother/father and her/his kids. It's the Agape love that God talked about.

I can't love back a person that doesn't worth even a "like." Not me mehn. I can love such a person for a given time frame, but after so much "benefit of doubt," hoping that he or she will reciprocate such love/care (in this case romantic love), and if she/he fails to, I let go (not talking about becoming enemies with the person). Most types of love is conditional, it's about give and take like you opined.

Love can be unconditional from parent-kids perspective in the sense that "blood" is involved. You'll see a mom that will love and not give up hope on her kid(s) that might be hurting her, no matter the situation. Like in the parable of the prodigal son. If that guy wasn't the man's son, I'm not sure he (the dad) would have taken him back easily when the prodigal son returned. Catch my drift?

Y'know, I agree with you 120%
I see we reason alike.

Given the context you've just described, I think that's where self-control comes into play.
Loving someone at your own expense (I'm talking about "love the feeling that produces love the action"wink for a prolonged period might as well be termed stewpidity, or put more mildly - ignorance.

SELF LOVE ISN'T SELFISH.

But then again, when we leave toxic people behind, with what eyes in our minds do we view them?
Hate, bitterness orrrrrr
Sheer compassion?

(I'm working on attaining the compassionate level).

More oft than not, except I'm very conscious of the life giving force within, I can be quite the lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by ochon: 4:37pm On Oct 23, 2014
MizMyColi:

Y'know, I agree with you 120%
I see we reason alike.

Given the context you've just described, I think that's where self-control comes into play.
Loving someone at your own expense (I'm talking about "love the feeling that produces love the action"wink for a prolonged period might as well be termed stewpidity, or put more mildly - ignorance.

SELF LOVE ISN'T SELFISH.

But then again, when we leave toxic people behind, with what eyes in our minds do we view them?
Hate, bitterness orrrrrr
Sheer compassion?

(I'm working on attaining the compassionate level).

More oft than not, except I'm very conscious of the life giving force within, I can be quite the lipsrsealed

@ first embolden, exactly!! It's just sheer stùpidity.

@ second embolden, it's not hate on my part. I'm yet to see a human, no matter how toxic he or she is, that I will HATE. Dislike? Yes. Bitterness? Possible. But hate? No way, or not yet.

@ last embolden, you can be quiet what? Spill the beans. tongue
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by MizMyColi(f): 4:45pm On Oct 23, 2014
ochon:

@ first embolden, exactly!! It's just sheer stùpidity.

@ second embolden, it's not hate on my part. I'm yet to see a human, no matter how toxic he or she is, that I will HATE. Dislike? Yes. Bitterness? Possible. But hate? No way, or not yet.

@ last embolden, you can be quite what? Spill the beans. tongue

Skeptic, Bitter Babe grin
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 23, 2014
Ochon,you ain't talking drugs nor money?

Love stories suck seriously.
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by ochon: 4:57pm On Oct 23, 2014
Tabh:
Ochon,you ain't talking drugs nor money?

Love stories suck seriously.

LOL.. I'm with you on this one. Love stories sucks big time!!
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by ochon: 4:58pm On Oct 23, 2014
MizMyColi:

*******; ****** ****

I hope you won't "murdify" this one later? grin

Nothing to be "mute" about it. ******ness is a form of emotion, it's inherent in all of us.
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by MizMyColi(f): 5:49pm On Oct 23, 2014
ochon:

I hope you won't "murdify" this one later? grin

Nothing to be "mute" about it. ******ness is a form of emotion, it's inherent in all of us.

Hmmmm.....

I can only imagine the calibre of females you attract as a result of this trait you possess.

Empathy in a Thinking Man; Such rarity these days.

@TheQuotedAbove
I understand, I guess my being quite shy of it arises from the need to wanna be better, for self, for those the creator has given/will give me.

1 Like

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 23, 2014
Is God's love truly unconditional the way we humans see unconditional love?
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by ochon: 7:02pm On Oct 23, 2014
MizMyColi:

Hmmmm.....

I can only imagine the calibre of females you attract as a result of this trait you possess.

Empathy in a Thinking Man; Such rarity these days.

@TheQuotedAbove
I understand, I guess my being quite shy of it arises from the need to wanna be better, for self, for those the creator has given/will give me.

I like to think I attract many sorts of ladies, good and bad, all strata. embarassed

@Embolden, aptly said. Yeah I understand why you are shy of IT. Though it's an innate emotion, it's a negative one and nothing to be proud of. So we all strive to be better, to kick "IT" to the curb and live a life devoid of "IT." It's a nasty emotion, leaves one stuck in the past. But I think you are on the right path if you keep inhibiting that emotion.
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by MizMyColi(f): 9:08pm On Oct 23, 2014
ochon:

I like to think I attract many sorts of ladies, good and bad, all strata. embarassed

@Embolden, aptly said. Yeah I understand why you are shy of IT. Though it's an innate emotion, it's a negative one and nothing to be proud of. So we all strive to be better, to kick "IT" to the curb and live a life devoid of "IT." It's a nasty emotion, leaves one stuck in the past. But I think you are on the right path if you keep inhibiting that emotion.

That's a good thing, imo.
I can relate too with the "many stratas".
grin grin

The goal though, consciously/unconsciously, should be to leave everyone better than we met them.

Thanks, thanks.
Have you always been like this @Empathetic, @Warm

Are you beyond your early twenties?

Pardon my askings please.
It's rare meeting a guy who's beyond the "25" mark and still has this innocence about him.

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by MizMyColi(f): 9:11pm On Oct 23, 2014
andromida:
Is God's love truly unconditional the way we humans see unconditional love?

If God's our standard here and we're talking about unconditional love, not blind nor foolish love.

Then unconditional love is what it is, whether we get it right or not.
Love Never Fails.
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by Obinoscopy(m): 8:21am On Oct 24, 2014
I love mathematics and I love love. But mathematical love? Count me out grin.

Love is beyond mathematics. Love defies logic. Loves defies laws. Love is life itself.

Love is beyond the universe. And since we have not been able to fully develop a mathematical formula that defines the universe (despite the appreciable efforts by Newton, Einstein and present generation scientists), that ultimately means that we've not been able to develop a universal mathematical formula that defines love. And we won't succeed with that no matter how hard we try.

Love is the only thing that makes me believe that all is not vanity afterall. Someone once said that Loving is her Religion. I totally agree.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by dre11(m): 9:01am On Oct 24, 2014
If love were to be mathematic..... I don't think we could find the solution. ...

But love is an art.. .. A spiritual exercise..... Which always defile all logic and reasoning when u see its expression by people......

The best part of LOVE is the agape love.... Which the LORD shows to us

For we humans..... Our complex nature makes our love stories different
Sometimes pleasurerable
Sometimes it's suck like hell
Sometimes u ask urself questions on why and why!

The best aspect of love is YOU LOVING YOUR SELF place a worth on your self and let it define you
All other will keep falling in place

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by Obinoscopy(m): 9:13am On Oct 24, 2014
^^I agree with you 100%

Inspirational quote:

"If love were to be mathematics......I don't think we could find the solution......."

- Dre11

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by dre11(m): 9:24am On Oct 24, 2014
Obinoscopy:
^^I agree with you 100%

Inspirational quote:

"If love were to be mathematics......I don't think we could find the solution......."

- Dre11

Bossshocked

I appreciate

Seems we do agree on a common ground on that.. ..

2 Likes

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by MizMyColi(f): 9:46am On Oct 24, 2014
Obinoscopy:
I love mathematics and I love love. But mathematical love? Count me out grin.

Love is beyond mathematics. Love defies logic. Loves defies laws. Love is life itself.

Love is beyond the universe. And since we have not been able to fully develop a mathematical formula that defines the universe (despite the appreciable efforts by Newton, Einstein and present generation scientists), that ultimately means that we've not been able to develop a universal mathematical formula that defines love. And we won't succeed with that no matter how hard we try.

Love is the only thing that makes me believe that all is not vanity afterall. Someone once said that Loving is her Religion. I totally agree.
grin grin
Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:56am On Oct 24, 2014
Very well written piece. I must confess. My question is, if love is conditional is it really love.

If a certain kind of input is required to output love do we call that love.

Because my definition of love is that of a woman who would shelter her son, a murderer from the arm of the law just because she can’t stand the thought of losing him to the hangman.

Of a father who would not mind giving his kidney to his son kn coma, who for the past 20 years has caused him untold pain due to his drug life style.
Love is a man who looks at the stretch marks, and the wrinkled face of his wife and all he sees is that young cute twenty something that stole his heart away.
Love is a man dying on the cross for sins of the very people that killed him … So that these same people might have life.

I believe the moment love starts been conditional in that same moment it stops been love.

I of of the opinion that Love is not conditional, because one thing that is very sure about life is change. and if change is inevitable it means love is nothing but a temporal feeling that will surely fad once new input comes in play as caused by change.

I personally think what the writer is mistaking for love is attraction aka chemistry.

Attraction is conditional, it is dependent on certain parameter to take place. Absence or presence of this inputs decides the feasibility of it growing or dying just like the writer already explains.

The mistake most people make is to think Attraction is love.

Personally I think love is unpredictable, It is a very tricky idea/concept that is hard to define or confine to a formula of inputs and outputs. I think it is a mystery in which till today mankind still struggles to unravel and the more we try to define it, the more we are lost in our definition.

I maybe not be able to define or really understand love. But I think love in it is real and pure essences is selfless and unconditional … ( This is the idealist side of me speaking).

But from a realist perspective, I quite agree with your stance to some extent.

#Mathew Briggs

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by Obinoscopy(m): 12:30pm On Oct 24, 2014
^^Well said Matthew.

Inspirational quote:

"I believe the moment love starts being conditional, it stops being love."

- MatthewBriggs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Is An Algebraic Expression by mcshol(m): 7:31pm On Oct 24, 2014
Matthewbriggs:
Very well written piece. I must confess. My question is, if love is conditional is it really love.

If a certain kind of input is required to output love do we call that love.

Because my definition of love is that of a woman who would shelter her son, a murderer from the arm of the law just because she can’t stand the thought of losing him to the hangman.

Of a father who would not mind giving his kidney to his son kn coma, who for the past 20 years has caused him untold pain due to his drug life style.
Love is a man who looks at the stretch marks, and the wrinkled face of his wife and all he sees is that young cute twenty something that stole his heart away.
Love is a man dying on the cross for sins of the very people that killed him … So that these same people might have life.

I believe the moment love starts been conditional in that same moment it stops been love.

I of of the opinion that Love is not conditional, because one thing that is very sure about life is change. and if change is inevitable it means love is nothing but a temporal feeling that will surely fad once new input comes in play as caused by change.

I personally think what the writer is mistaking for love is attraction aka chemistry.

Attraction is conditional, it is dependent on certain parameter to take place. Absence or presence of this inputs decides the feasibility of it growing or dying just like the writer already explains.

The mistake most people make is to think Attraction is love.

Personally I think love is unpredictable, It is a very tricky idea/concept that is hard to define or confine to a formula of inputs and outputs. I think it is a mystery in which till today mankind still struggles to unravel and the more we try to define it, the more we are lost in our definition.

I maybe not be able to define or really understand love. But I think love in it is real and pure essences is selfless and unconditional … ( This is the idealist side of me speaking).

But from a realist perspective, I quite agree with your stance to some extent.

#Mathew Briggs

respect Baba. That's y am always ur follower. U explain things I term herculean tasks.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

7 Signs He Wants To Marry You / Photo! Nigga Be Like God Please Forgive Me For The Sin Am About To Commit / Some Of The Reasons Why I Love MAMAGEE3.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.