Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:05 AM

We Are Able(a Touching Story) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / We Are Able(a Touching Story) (118132 Views)

We Are Able (A Touching Story) / We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) / My Story, My Life (A Touching Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Canme4u(m): 4:35pm On Aug 04, 2014
cheesy
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by onosj(f): 4:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
Oga Sammy i dey follow u like twitter!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 04, 2014
maputohq:
I'm here.

Welcome on board Maputohq...feel free, have your seat and let's roll on.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by princesssusan(f): 5:48pm On Aug 04, 2014
I was here even tho...............
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by maputohq: 6:02pm On Aug 04, 2014
SammyHoe:

Welcome on board Maputohq...feel free, have your seat and let's roll on.
Alright...Oga Sammy...
*winks*
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 04, 2014
If i hear say i no follow

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
Divepen: If i hear say i no follow

Welcome sir

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by LarrySun(m): 8:16pm On Aug 04, 2014
Touching. Very touching.

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by seunviju(f): 9:25pm On Aug 04, 2014
Different people with different problem.well done sir,keep up the good work
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by crislyn(f): 9:45pm On Aug 04, 2014
Hmmm..u aff come again o sammyhoe. Following
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Olusharp(m): 10:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by opyzy(m): 10:06pm On Aug 04, 2014
*panting *present Sir
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by dammygoody(m): 10:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
princesssusan: I was here even tho...............
. ..even though what, madam princess? undecided
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 3:35am On Aug 05, 2014
I shall dedicate my next post to the first five people to comment in sign language

[b]~~~~~~~CHAPTER FOUR~~~~~~~~~

Mother was discharged after two weeks. Her right hand is bandaged and attached to her neck so that her bones can heal up fast. She has her right leg in POP. Now I feel the real meaning of being deaf and dumb. I have to be at home to take care of her, but home was hell to me. No one to communicate with me.

Mother watches me as I do my sign language before her face. She can only shake her head vertically or horizontally to either concur with me or disagree to any matter I raise. Now I have to endure the true meaning of suspense: if you ask me, I can't understand what really transpires between daddy, mummy and the other woman in question, but it seems mummy now knows all because I see daddy talking to her at length. She weeps endlessly and her face swells when father speaks then.

My teachers have come to pay my mother a visit when they discover my absence in school. Mrs Oyin, my classteacher comes around and rapports with my mother. She then tells her the whole story:

[i]John, my father, begins to deal in extra marital affair when I was three--then it has just been confirmed that I am completely deaf and dumb. John needs an able child desperately then, such that he has to spread his tentacles to a woman whom I will refer to as a prostitute; her name is Toyosi.

Daddy so much keeps his affair away from my poor mother such that she didn't suspect that he is doing such a thing. It seems that Toyosi in question is a young teenager who is not through with her secondary school education then. She gets pregnant and daddy asks her to abort her pregnancy because my mum was also having her second pregnancy by then also (mummy's pregnancy was not successful).

That's the end of their affair--Toyosi disappears without the knowledge of my father. He can't tell if she has aborted the pregnancy or not. Things goes on normally for my daddy until Toyosi shows up in his life again two weeks back--the day we find them kissing each other.

Toyosi, whom I have only seen once, is a light-skinned, wide browed pretty lady in her twenties. Going by my teacher's narration of the story, she should be about twenty-five years now, because she tells me that Toyosi gets pregnant when she was in J.S.S 3.

Toyosi has a lionesslike waist and the hair on her head that only day I see her makes her take the form of a lady in a beauty contest. Her teeth are spaced at the centre to add to her pulchritude. Her purplish-brown tinted eyelashes must have been artificially brushened up to exude such lustrous appearance. To call a spade a spade, Toyosi looks angelic (or maybe I should say demonic) in her make-ups.

The cleavages she reveals alone could have made my father go lusting for her again. Her miniskirt is what I would refer to as a minipant if there is anything like that. But why is my father so bold as to rough-handling his real wife because of a mere outlandish appendage as her? She is supposed to be punished under the law for her act, but she is spared. That is even too much for her, let alone treading the path of my mother, coming into her matrimonial home and kissing my dad with those red lips of hers.

My teacher doesn't want to hide anything from me regarding the matter despite the fact that it can be very bitter.

"You see, Rose, you have to be a strong lady and take heart. How old are you now?" Mrs Oyin signals to me.

"Eleven," I signal back and protrudes my lips in dissatisfaction.

"Good! You are already mature--puberty, everything," she says and sighs at my bust as if she is just discovering the development on me. "Rose, your mother doesn't want me to hide anything from you as regards that matter."

"Which matter?" I ask.

"That matter now; that woman you see with your daddy, ehn, that woman."

"Okay, go on ma, I'm all eyes," I say. She smiles. She must have been wondering how I come about some idioms let alone using it to suit my taste.
'I am all ears' is what I turn around to 'I am all eyes'.

"So, Rose this is what actually happened: your daddy went into extramarital affair eight years back for reasons best known to him..."

That reason is best known to me than John himself, I think. Then I am just three, that year it is confirmed that my eardrums weren't in place at all. So dad must have gone into the extramarital relationship because of me.

"Your daddy impregnates T-o-y-o-s-i, a Yoruba girl from..." she pauses as she sees me trying to spell out the name with my hands since such name hasn't been in my vocabulary of words earlier.

"Toy? Is she a toy?" I ask strangely. Mrs Oyin signals the name to me again; there is no break between the letters when she is spelling the name, so she is not Mrs Toy Osi as I have thought earlier, but Toyosi is just a single name.

Something about me is that I am too outspoken. Maybe God knows that I will turn out to be a parrot if he has created me with a mouth that can talk that is why he didn't do that. Well...I am still waiting to hear either my mother or my teacher tell me the gain of being disabled since they have both said that there are gains in it.

"Rose, listen, Rose," my teacher says after pulling me to see her speak. I was looking away earlier. "When your father impregnates Toyosi, he gave her money to terminate her pregnancy because your mother was also pregnant at that time. Toyosi collected the money and since then your father didn't know her whereabout until last two weeks when she showed up in your home as you can see."

"Did I hear you say my mother was pregnant?" I ask her at once.

"Yes, she was pregnant at that time," she nods in affirmation.

"Where is my sibling then?" I ask.

"A stillborn, Rose. It was dead at birth."

I am 'mute'. So I should have had a brother, a younger brother, I thought and shook my head in self-pity.

"Ahh!" I yell as if a big bedbug has just punctured my skin. "So I should have had a brother or sister!" I intensified my response to show my utmost displeasure.

"Yes Rose, you should have had a brother," she says. "Well... goodnews Rose, now you have a brother," she smiles. "And your brother will be here any moment from now," she adds.

"A ghost brother? Stillbirth?" I am horrified.

"No, no, no, Rose. Your brother will be here any moment from now--your brother from another mother, Bode by name."

"What! Who is Bode?" I ask and shout with my useless mouth.

"Bode is Toyosi's son she had for your daddy. He would be here soon to live with you. He's only seven years, Rose, so take care of him very well when he comes. Don't fight him at all. You are from the same father, so please take good care of him."

My head begins to knock like a car engine as sweat covered me up. I begin to envisage the beginning of torture for myself and my mother. That Toyosi in question, a second wife? Yes, this is the beginning of torment for myself and my mother, I think.

I leave my teacher in the parlour and go straight into my mother's room. She is sitting on a wheelchair, being confined to such since the day she was pushed by my daddy.

"Mummy is it true?" I ask with utmost seriousness written on my face.

She shook her head in affirmation, weeping.

"Aargh!" I scream in sign language.

[/b]

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by PrinceAdepoju(m): 3:52am On Aug 05, 2014
//\\/||¡§§ []]]^ ^~¿// ()¥>¡
First To Comment

grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Kaymania(m): 4:54am On Aug 05, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: //\\/||¡§§ []]]^ ^~¿// ()¥>¡
First To Comment

grin cheesy grin

2nd i guess
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by talk2riel: 5:19am On Aug 05, 2014

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 5:29am On Aug 05, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: //\\/||¡§§ []]]^ ^~¿// ()¥>¡
First To Comment

grin cheesy grin

*$;$-\\¶•ππ÷÷÷÷÷
meaning: the bolded sign language means 'first to ferment'
L grin l
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 6:00am On Aug 05, 2014
Sign Language(Code Formulated by one of my students: Adejugba Omolade Julianah--15years; see picture below)

This is the sign lang. we shall adopt to communicate on this thread. Any other lang. is highly prohibited. Anybody who becomes pagelord or pagelady with the usual English language shall not be considered for that position.

If the five vowel letters of the alphabet represent the first five Arabic figure, then we have:

a=1
e=2
i=3
o=4
u=5

Now, any English word intended to be spoken must have letter 'a' after every single letter.

Therefore, the sign language will take this form:

E.g
CAT= Ca1aT

DOG= Da4aG

I AM GOING= 3 1aM GaOa3aNaG

THE BOY IS SLEEPING= TaHa2 Ba4aY 3aS SaLa2a2aPa3aNaG

WHO IS THAT?= WaHa4 3aS TaHa1aT ?

Now Try to decode these:

1. Wa2 1aRa2 1aBaLa2

2. Ha4aNa2aYaMa4a4aN 3aN PaRa3aSa4aN

3. 1aS 2 Da2aY Ha1aPaP2aN

4. 2aVa2aRaY Ba4aDaY 3aS 1 Ga2aNa3a5aS

5. Ha4aPa2 1aNaD TaHa2 3aSaLa1aNaD 4aF GaRa2a1aTaNa2aSaS

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by talk2riel: 7:36am On Aug 05, 2014
1. Wa2 1aRa2 1aBaLa2= we are able
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 05, 2014
talk2riel: 1. Wa2 1aRa2 1aBaLa2= we are able

Ya4a5 1aRa2 Ca4aRaRa2aCaT!!!

Ha4aW Wa1aS Ya4a5aR Na3aGaHaT?
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by stormybucci(m): 7:59am On Aug 05, 2014
2:honeymoon in prison
3:as e dae happen
4: everybody is a genius
5: hope and the island of greatness
3 JaSaT SaTa4aPa2aD CaRaYa3aNaG
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by DONMAYOR19(m): 8:08am On Aug 05, 2014
SammyHoe: Now Try to decode these:

1. Wa2 1aRa2 1aBaLa2

2. Ha4aNa2aYaMa4a4aN 3aN PaRa3aSa4aN

3. 1aS 2 Da2aY Ha1aPaP2aN

4. 2aVa2aRaY Ba4aDaY 3aS 1 Ga2aNa3a5aS

5. Ha4aPa2 1aNaD TaHa2 3aSaLa1aNaD 4aF GaRa2a1aTaNa2aSaS

1-we are able....

2-honeymoon in prison...

3-As E Dey Happen....

4-Everybody is a Genius...

5-Hope and the island of grateness.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 05, 2014
stormybucci: 2:honeymoon in prison
3:as e dae happen
4: everybody is a genius
5: hope and the island of greatness
3 JaSaT SaTa4aPa2aD CaRaYa3aNaG

WaHaY CaRaYa3aNaG Fa4aR CaHa3aBa4aY?
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 05, 2014
DONMAYOR19: 1-we are able....

2-honeymoon in prison...

3-As E Dey Happen....

4-Everybody is a Genius...

5-Hope and the island of grateness.

Va2aRaY Ra3aGaHaT!!!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by princesssusan(f): 8:48am On Aug 05, 2014
dammygoody: . ..even though what, madam princess? undecided
I wasn‘t invited angry
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 05, 2014
princesssusan:
I wasn‘t invited angry
But I didn't invite anybody nah.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by DONMAYOR19(m): 9:24am On Aug 05, 2014
3 1aM 2aNaJa4aYa3aNaG TaHa3aS Sa3aGaN La1aNaGa5a1aGa2. grin
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 05, 2014
DONMAYOR19: 3 1aM 2aNaJa4aYa3aNaG TaHa3aS Sa3aGaN La1aNaGa5a1aGa2. grin

3aT 3aS Va2aRaY Da2aLa3aCa3a4a5aS grin
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 05, 2014
I have the 'madest' sign language
a-#
b-¥
c- <
d- +
e-@
f-¤
g- $
h-€
i-?
J-x
k-i
L-*
m-§
N-:
o-u
p-w
q-:
r- >
s-p
T- =
u- -
V-{
W-}
x-[
y- J
z- ]

Sentence to test
}€u <#: i:u} ?=
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by princesssusan(f): 9:56am On Aug 05, 2014
SammyHoe:
But I didn't invite anybody nah.
Bt am nt anybody nah undecided
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by stormybucci(m): 10:26am On Aug 05, 2014
SammyHoe:

WaHaY CaRaYa3aNaG Fa4aR CaHa3aBa4aY?
Na4aT CaHa3aBa4aY 3aTa'S Ra4aSa2 1a'M CaRaYa3aNaG Fa4aR

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

A Fatal Love {Sequel to 'The Sugar Mum'} / The Handsome Devil I Know / Make Me A Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.