Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,483 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:17 PM

Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? (7920 Views)

Is It A Sin To Style A Haircut? / Is It Wrong To Question The Existence Of God / Why Are People So Afraid To Question God? Why, How, When, If Etc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Nobody: 12:38am On Aug 03, 2014
Brethren , just a small thought here. When we encounter difficult passages, errors or contradictions in the bible, are we to ignore them or investigate the discrepancies.

If the later, is it then a sin to challenge these issues by careful reanalysis of impacted doctrines and religious statements.

Please let me know.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by elipheleh(m): 12:48am On Aug 03, 2014
We are encouraged to question discrepancies as Paul rightly said :

10The brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so .12Therefore many of them believed, along with a number of prominent Greek women and men.…Acts 17 :10-12

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Goshen360(m): 12:49am On Aug 03, 2014
I'm mostly (not in all cases though) with you in not being dogmatic about doctrines. Every Christian is to question (by questioning, I mean, asking our teacher, the Holy Spirit questions and\or our ministry teachers) what they learn or are being taught. Every Christian is to investigate thoroughly every verse and line by line.

You won't believe how I'm being to spot errors out of what I've been taught as a young Christian when I started investigation many scriptures, using word meanings as used in context. Christianity is further made easy for me and living the life of the Spirit is freely flowing in my Christian life.

It is religious spirit that often raises alarm when somethings are questioned. Whether the one questioning is right or wrong, it is important for the other party to take a look at what is said and consider it. But most will rather believe their MoG is right and cannot be wrong because they feel such MoG is anointed, so cannot be wrong.

I join hand with you, frosbel in the Spirit to call on every Christian on this forum to begin to investigate every scripture, dig into it and question things we're taught when we're young Christians. Many will be shocked what they will discover.

I believe one of the best tool to use to investigate bible verses as used in context is the bible concordance that tells us what the original words meant in context.

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Nobody: 12:50am On Aug 03, 2014
elipheleh: We are encouraged to question discrepancies as Paul rightly said :

10The brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so .12Therefore many of them believed, along with a number of prominent Greek women and men.…Acts 17 :10-12

well said , thanks.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Nobody: 12:53am On Aug 03, 2014
Goshen360: I'm mostly (not in all cases though) with you in not being dogmatic about doctrines. Every Christian is to question (by questioning, I mean, asking our teacher, the Holy Spirit questions and\or our ministry teachers) what they learn or are being taught. Every Christian is to investigate thoroughly every verse and line by line.

You won't believe how I'm being to spot errors out of what I've been taught as a young Christian when I started investigation many scriptures, using word meanings as used in context. Christianity is further made easy for me and living the life of the Spirit is freely flowing in my Christian life.

It is religious spirit that often raises alarm when somethings are questioned. Whether the one questioning is right or wrong, it is important for the other party to take a look at what is said and consider it. But most will rather believe their MoG is right and cannot be wrong because they feel such MoG is anointed, so cannot be wrong.

I join hand with you, frosbel in the Spirit to call on every Christian on this forum to begin to investigate every scripture, dig into it and question things we're taught when we're young Christians. Many will be shocked what they will discover.

I believe one of the best tool to use to investigate bible verses as used in context is the bible concordance that tells us what the original words meant in context.

Thanks Bro.

I search to know God better and follow him deeper, and my faith is unshakeable. What worries and concerns me is ( this started from deeperlife and other churches ) , many believers look at you in a strange way or even consider you as dangerous simply because you decided to start questioning certain discrepancies.

I will never forget the day some leader in the church asked me to avoid a certain brother who had left the church because he knew the scriptures too much and could very easily convert me to his side. Very strange attitude if you ask me.

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Goshen360(m): 12:59am On Aug 03, 2014
^ Mostly, I have learnt that religion will read into the bible text, instead of allowing the verse speak for itself in line with another verse. Lemme give example, one verse that is and is still causing problem in Christianity today:

New American Standard Bible
"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

People use this text to justify keeping the law (of Moses...which they cannot keep in the first place). When I did a thorough investigation, my whole life changed.

This statement when questioned, investigated and thoroughly stretched out, we will understand what Christ meant. Babylon is deeply working in the church today and we must get rid of it.

4 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Aidy97(f): 12:59am On Aug 03, 2014
Na dis kin thing dy make FP so dt ppl can argue

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Goshen360(m): 1:03am On Aug 03, 2014
Aidy97: Na dis kin thing dy make FP so dt ppl can argue

Maybe your wishes might come true....Frontpage please @ Moderator. Ermmm, by the way, we can argue to set people free. In the cause of arguing, some people will be open minded and flow along the conversation. Can we discuss the OP please? cheesy
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Alishachris: 1:08am On Aug 03, 2014
its not a sin. As long as you question with an unbiased and open mind. The spirit will reveal the mysteries to you. And when it does, dont try to hold back or doubt. Peace cool

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Nobody: 1:10am On Aug 03, 2014
No.. Unless you blasphem.
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Rapsainot(m): 1:12am On Aug 03, 2014
it is not

2 Timothy 3:16 - All scripture [is] given by
inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine,
for reproof, for correction, for instruction in
righteousness:

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Missy89(f): 1:12am On Aug 03, 2014
Galileo Galilei said.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them.

The Brain is meant for reasoning and questioning everything is part of that so if that is a sin, we would probably have to remove our brains then and walk the earth like brainless zombies then

16 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Goshen360(m): 1:12am On Aug 03, 2014
Alishachris: its not a sin. As long as you question with an unbiased and open mind. The spirit will reveal the mysteries to you. And when it does, dont try to hold back or doubt. Peace cool

Let's put in this way.....as we're reasoning together in the word. Can the Spirit tell Deeper Life something and tell RCCG another different thing?

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by MrRhymes101(m): 1:13am On Aug 03, 2014
curiosity kills d cat
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by haibe(m): 1:14am On Aug 03, 2014
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by shadowwalker101: 1:15am On Aug 03, 2014
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
no only great minds do

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:17am On Aug 03, 2014
One thing that befuddles me generally is the level of reverence and infallibility that this book garners. I often wonder why Christians could not question first of all the authenticity of a text, why they would not be bothered to know the circumstances and the reasons around which the text was written.

I think your dilemma starts from the fact that seeing as it is supposed to be some manual when you see the heinous and hideous things in some parts you begin to wonder if it is of God. Like where does the conviction come from that the book is the total undiluted thoughts of God. Now some parts of it pose stories that can be traced historically, how much of it matches with the actual facts? You hear people say things like oh Moses wrote this and that.....Shocking.

WHY HAVE HOLY OR INSPIRED TEXTS STOPPED BEING WRITTEN? IF THEY ARE STILL BEING WRITTEN DO YOU THINK THERE IS ANY WORTH TO BE PUT IN THE BIBLE TODAY?

Disagree with me all you want but if there was to be a new version of bible, call it the jet age testament. Where you have the letter of Adeboye to the Lagosians, or the Letters of Daddy Oleyedepo on tithe payment, Combined with the book of TB joshua, 1st 2nd and 3rd Chris Oyaks I am sure that version even if it manages by phee dee phee stroke of luck to pass in Nigeria.........the slavereligious masters that be will not even allow it.

So what made Joshua, daniel, Isiah and co better than the legend himself PASTOR GBEJERO or SAINT DIKEJI MIMIYERIJESU - BISHOP OF THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!

12 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Kalvan: 1:19am On Aug 03, 2014
The bible is full of contradictions.

Nothing should be exempt from criticism.

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by curiouslad(m): 1:19am On Aug 03, 2014
How dare you! >sad
You want to question the infallible scriptures that were written with divine inspiration from the sky. shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Nobody: 1:22am On Aug 03, 2014
Goshen360:

Let's put in this way.....as we're reasoning together in the word. Can the Spirit tell Deeper Life something and tell RCCG another different thing?

Precisely my problem .

Why for example will a Pastor or priest put fear into their sheep to ensure they question scripture only according to their denominational beliefs and everything else is either blasphemy or a sign of backsliding ?

It really bothers me that the average Nigerian Christian is not at all like the berean who questioned everything , instead he follows his pastors own interpretation of scripture not knowing if it is valid or not. Hence we have over 42,000 denominations each with it's own understanding of some portion of the scripture while referring to others as heretics.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Nobody: 1:22am On Aug 03, 2014
^^¶It's a big YES. Questioning the Bible is a SIN. But coming to think of it, My Bible is ERROR Free - so that make this Topic - RIDICULOUS.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by macsika: 1:22am On Aug 03, 2014
Brb
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Nobody: 1:23am On Aug 03, 2014
Missy89: Galileo Galilei said.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them.

The Brain is meant for reasoning and questioning everything is part of that so if that is a sin, we would probably have to remove our brains then and walk the earth like brainless zombies then

I concur.
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Goshen360(m): 1:27am On Aug 03, 2014
frosbel:

Precisely my problem .

Why for example will a Pastor or priest put fear into their sheep to ensure they question scripture only according to their denominational beliefs and everything else is either blasphemy or a sign of backsliding ?

It really bothers me that the average Nigerian Christian is not at all like the berean who questioned everything , instead he follows his pastors own interpretation of scripture not knowing if it is valid or not. Hence we have over 42,000 denominations each with it's own understanding of some portion of the scripture while referring to others as heretics.

Brother frosbel, look into the word. Babylon means confusion and there's Babylon spirit in the church today.
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Alishachris: 1:28am On Aug 03, 2014
Goshen360:

of course not. There is no discord in the spirit for the Spirit and the Word is one! cool peace.
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by chuxyz(m): 1:31am On Aug 03, 2014
It's the Bible that defines what is a sin and what is not. So if the Bible never stated it's a sin, then it's no sin. Otherwise, it's a sin.
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Goshen360(m): 1:32am On Aug 03, 2014
Alishachris:

of course not. There is no discord in the spirit for the Spirit and the Word is one! cool peace.

So then, it is not out of place to question @ Deeplife vs Mountain of Fire if we have contradictions from same bible right?
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Wiseracre(m): 1:33am On Aug 03, 2014
Biblically, yes. Rationally, No
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by komek(m): 1:33am On Aug 03, 2014
Believing everything said in the bible has been one of the things that has kept we Africans the way we are today. The pple who brought same bible to us has been revising and revising to impoverish Africans the more.

The bible said "with all u have, get knowlege" or something like that. Another one is "my pple perish as a result of lack of knowlege". Another" knowlege is profitable to direct". If u don't understand certain things, ask questions untill u are satisfied.

The so called Men of God has put some serious fear into Africans. Whenever they try to question the bible and the activities of those who are meant to interprete the bible, the next thing u hear " Do not touch the anointed and do the prophet no harm". Scam! Cos I no majority of them where not anointed by God but instead started interpreting the bible out of economic fustration.

Why shud you not questions about some portions of the bible? If u feel u don't understand it, question it until u get the knowlege u are looking for cos its not everything written down in the bible that u are supposed follow. Cos I read somewhere where it was written that it was not everything that was written down in the bible but that the ones that were written was enof for our knowlege., then the question is why did they not complete it? Was it because the space wud not be enof?

6 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Alishachris: 1:35am On Aug 03, 2014
Goshen360:

So then, it is not out of place to question @ Deeplife vs Mountain of Fire if we have contradictions from same bible right?

all these you are calling are religions. Man made and fallible. The Word of God is not a religion. Christianity is not a religion. Read your bible and follow your own personal revelations about the spirit. We all experience the spirit and God in our own individual ways. cool Peace.
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by mstik(f): 1:37am On Aug 03, 2014
I don't know but I know it's a sin to lie.. undecided
I'll leave this one to the religious gurus
Re: Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:38am On Aug 03, 2014
Alishachris:

all these you are calling are religions. Man made and fallible. The Word of God is not a religion. Christianity is not a religion. Read your bible and follow your own personal revelations about the spirit. We all experience the spirit and God in our own individual ways. cool Peace.
Except you forget that back then they had their own factions and divisions. Each with his own books and practices like deeper life vs MFM.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

70 Virgins In Paradise / Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? / Beware! Nairaland Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.