Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up (1415 Views)

Help, A Married Woman Refuses To Leave My House, How Can I Send Her Away? / ' I Sold My Child For N4M And I Want Him Back Now' / What Should I Do If My Wife Destroy My Property (tv) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by Torkwase1(f): 8:56pm On Aug 04, 2014
(I'm not sure if this is the right section, please pardon me.)
My post may be long, cos I need to get the issues involved across to you guys.
While serving in 2011/2012, a new corper in my office needed somewhere to stay, so I offered to let her share my room, free of charge. We became quite close, and I shared everything with her. I never asked her to buy food or water for us to use, and was content taking care of everything. Even when she would borrow money from me, I would collect only part of it back.
When it was time for me to pass out, she had to relocate to a corpers lodge cos my rent had expired. With only few months for her to also leave, we agreed that instead of her buying new property, she should continue using mine and later hand them over to a friend of mine based in that town who would keep them safe for me to retrieve later. However, if she found anyone interested in buying some of them, she would let me know so that I would negotiate with the buyer. Also note that she was owing me some money that she would pay to my acct, according to her, within the month I left NYSC.

When this my 'friend' was finally passing out, she never told me that she had sold some of my stuff to the corper taking over her room. She gave me the impression that they had been packed and kept safe in the lodge. When I wsd ready to travel there and pick my things, I called her and asked for the girls number so I could go retrieve my things, she gave me a WRONG NUMBER. After trying it several times to no avail, I called her, and she gave me ANOTHER WRONG NUMBER. I finally had to call someone in knew in the town to go the corpers lodge and and ask for the girl in question. That was when it came out that she had sold many things, collected the money an lied that she would send them to me. Also, she sold them at a ridiculous amount, that I would rather have kept my stuff for personal use.
When I confronted her on phone, she started saying things, that she was sorry blablabla, and would send the money to me soon. I felt very hurt, but I didn't want money to cause rife btw me and my friend, so I took it easy with her, hoping she would pay on time. Little did I know that this girl would manipulate and play me for a fool over the period of 18 months and counting....to be continued...
Re: My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by delishpot: 9:12pm On Aug 04, 2014
See, anyone that owes you and can't pay all outright but rather pays half and never talks about the other half should not be lent money or given anything to sell for you. You can dash her money but never lend him/her your money. And never give them anything to sell for you.
Sorry Na so life be. Move on and learn from this mistake. Don't over do good be kind but use your head. When friends like that ask me for #10 that they will pay later, I give them 2naira as dash to take go home and collect from anyone who is sponsoring them. Do not house an ungrateful person cos you will not be able to say no to their demands without them beefing you.
If they ask for money and you say no(knowing that they won't return it) and then in the evening you return with a new purse or phone or shoes, they will frown as if to say you can't spend a dime on yourself again cos they want your money.
This will cause enemity between you and the person you thought you were being kind to.

2 Likes

Re: My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 04, 2014
The mistake you made in the first place was allowing her use your properties for free when you left. You would have sold it to her or sell it to someone else,collect your money and leave. Or preferably you take your properties with you when you passed out. I don't know the worth of your properties but you made a terrible mistake.
When I passed out,all my properties(mattress,pillows,buckets, camp gas,pots,utensils,television,Dvd) including my NYSC uniform,I gave it out to my students. The only thing I came back with was my Certificate.

If your friend keep giving excuse for not paying you back your money after more than a year,forget it and move on.

1 Like

Re: My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by ayukdaboss(m): 9:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
berem: The mistake you made in the first place was allowing her use your properties for free when you left. You would have sold it to her or sell it to someone else,collect your money and leave. Or preferably you take your properties with you when you passed out. I don't know the worth of your properties but you made a terrible mistake.
When I passed out,all my properties(mattress,pillows,buckets,pots,utensils,television,Dvd) including my NYSC uniform,I gave it out to my students. The only thing I came back with was my Certificate.

If your friend keep giving excuse for not paying you back your money after more than a year,forget it and move on.

You dont mean it undecided

1 Like

Re: My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by Torkwase1(f): 9:53pm On Aug 04, 2014
.....Continuing....
@Berem and Delish,its just now that I realize I shouldn't have been so ready to give her my stuff. As a matter of fact, the total money is not really much over she, but anytime I think of what this girl did to me and the circumstances surrounding the money, I find it difficult to say I will leave it for her. I tell myself that even if I become very rich, get married, have children etc, if I ever lay my eyes on her, I will collect my money!
...Meanwhile, when the issue just started last year, she lied to me that she had sent it to my account, only to confess later that she didn't send it when I didn't get anything in my account. Also, she stopped answering my calls at several intervals. When I finally get through to her using strange number, she will start talking plenty things. What also pains me is that thus girl is from a relatively rich family. Her father lives in the US, and she attended Covenant university. I remember her Dad sending her money thru Western Union, and she would buy all kinds of expensive cosmetics and beauty products.
Ever since this issue started, the girl has never used her phone and credit to call/text, to apologise or explain or make me feel better, that she's trying to send me the money. I'm the one always calling her. The amount I've spent on calls and text alone must amount to quite a fortune, but she hasn't budged. I really don't know how to get what's mine from her, and it really pains me that she may get away with it....
Re: My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by nerodenero: 9:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
My policy is simple:
1.I dont loan people money that I can't let-go off so that when 'grammer' starts,I will just work away.
2.Same goes to my property,I would only leave the ones that If it gets stolen,sold or destroyed,I wont feel it.

A hard lesson for you.If you try all effort to recover your money and all proves abortive,Chairman,I'd advise you move on.
Re: My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
Torkwase1: .....Continuing....
@Berem and Delish,its just now that I realize I shouldn't have been so ready to give her my stuff. As a matter of fact, the total money is not really much over she, but anytime I think of what this girl did to me and the circumstances surrounding the money, I find it difficult to say I will leave it for her. I tell myself that even if I become very rich, get married, have children etc, if I ever lay my eyes on her, I will collect my money!
...Meanwhile, when the issue just started last year, she lied to me that she had sent it to my account, only to confess later that she didn't send it when I didn't get anything in my account. Also, she stopped answering my calls at several intervals. When I finally get through to her using strange number, she will start talking plenty things. What also pains me is that thus girl is from a relatively rich family. Her father lives in the US, and she attended Covenant university. I remember her Dad sending her money thru Western Union, and she would buy all kinds of expensive cosmetics and beauty products.
Ever since this issue started, the girl has never used her phone and credit to call/text, to apologise or explain or make me feel better, that she's trying to send me the money. I'm the one always calling her. The amount I've spent on calls and text alone must amount to quite a fortune, but she hasn't budged. I really don't know how to get what's mine from her, and it really pains me that she may get away with it....
she's even from a rich family? You can imagine how greedy some people are. Even with all the money her father has,she couldn't buy a single property for her use during her NYSC? Well I blame you for helping an ingrate.
My dear,forget it and let it pass. Her conscience will certainly judge her.
Re: My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by cococandy(f): 10:11pm On Aug 04, 2014
Insist she pays you.
Tell her you're tracing her and if she doesn't pay up you'll catch her and make her pay.

Just kiss the friendship goodbye after that though.
So choose one. Your money or the friendship.

1 Like

Re: My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by Godmystrength: 2:50pm On Aug 05, 2014
cococandy: Insist she pays you.
Tell her you're tracing her and if she doesn't pay up you'll catch her and make her pay.

Even as it stands, the friendship is already goodbye. Whether she pays now or not, i doubt if they can still continue to be friends.

@OP- Since you said the money is not that much, why not just forget about her and the money and stop wasting your credit calling her. It is so obvious that she has no intention of paying.

Forget about her parents living in USA and them being rich. It could be all lies from her just to ''feel among''. Maybe those expensive things she buys then are money from somewhere else and not from her parents.

2 Likes

Re: My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by shizzle11(m): 12:24pm On Aug 08, 2014
cococandy: Insist she pays you.

friendship kor, friendboat ni.

Even if she happens to pay him the money with interest sef, their friendship should be dead and buried. Her type(ingrates) are the worse kind of people to have as friends.

Op, unless you know where you can find her, but if she doesn't live in the same state with you, just forget about her, count it as one of those loses in life, then try to get over it and move on, you did your best to be so nice to her and she payed you back with lies and deceit, leave her to God.

@Godmother well said!
Re: My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by SAMBARRY: 2:00pm On Aug 08, 2014
See how many nigerians pay evil with good. undecided

Now if a genuine person comes for help tomorrow it wouldn't be rendered because of someone else's misbehaviour undecided

no wonder its so difficult or almost impossible for a nigerian to go to a friend for loan etc.na nigerians dey teach fellow nigerians wickedness undecided

my own policy is I don't lend money to people even if i can afford to neither do I get myself involved in anything money with people before we start speaking grammar.

In fact if anybody comes to me to borrow money I'll make up one story right there why I don't have. But if you say please give me 100 naira,even if i can afford to give the person, I'll rather give him 30 naira just to fulfill all righteousness. One lesson I have learnt through experience is that no matter how close you are with a person, never ever engage in any thing finances with the person

2 Likes

Re: My 'friend' Sold My Property, Refuses To Pay Up by Torkwase1(f): 4:31pm On Aug 10, 2014
I really hope God gives me the grace to forget it all, as many people have advised. because right now, I feel even if I become very rich and all, and I mistakenly see her somewhere, I will still try to get my money back!!! This is because anytime I remember the circumstances involved, and the continuous deceit and manipulation this lady keeps dishing out, it pains me and makes me feel like a very weak, big fool.
I don't know even which state she is now, its either Lagos or Ogun, and I really have no way of seeing her face to face for now. Its is well.

(1) (Reply)

Amazing!! 11-year-old Boy Helps Mum Deliver Baby Brother At Home (photos) / Domestic Violence Against Men / I Seriously Need Advice From You Guys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.