Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest (25039 Views)

Durban Invites All Short Filmmmakers To Submit Entries For 6th Talent Campus / Viewing Nigerian Tv Stations Is Like A Nightmare / The Durban Youth In Film Society Presents The Durban Short Film Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 4:00pm On Aug 05, 2014
Article by - Oris Aigbokhaevbolo

Nollywood took a beating at the Durban International Film Festival due to the quality of most of our films. In fact, my presence as a critic was greeted with surprise. One participant asked how it was possible to be a critic in so ‘chaotic’ a movie industry.

Too much happens at festivals. Most of it, not within the cinema halls—the conversations, the flirting, the drinking, the debates, the communal meals, the lingering animosity of a heated exchange.

With the Durban International Film Festival (DIFF), a lot happened onscreen as well. I saw a low-budget sci-fi vampire flick set in 1930s Ethiopia; I saw a tale of corruption set in Kenya; I saw a young man, on account of a woman—what else?—go from ménage a trois to murder in Johannesburg; I saw the faces of several critics whose only proof of life earlier, to me, was text; I sat beside the beautiful star of a movie premiering and listened as she, with happiness and alarm, spoke to her partner about the shock of her father’s presence at the screening of a film with risqué moments.

But mostly I saw Nollywood take a beating.

Take these incidents. One. After the screening of Veve, the film on political corruption in Kenya, I turned to my compatriot Terh Agbedeh. He was looking at me. We shook our heads: “Nollywood never start.” This, even as we agreed Veve wasn’t excellent.

Two. At the end of the much-hyped South African production Cold Harbour I was impressed even as the film’s black lead’s uncertain fate in an ambiguous ending was a letdown. (The white director later explained she couldn’t go through with the scripted tragedy after Marikana—to always consider racial politics is the burden of a public performer in South Africa.)

Cold Harbour Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnIwascAUXo

Separate discussions with two South Africans produced different opinions. Film critic Kavish Chetty touted the film’s quality, hinging his praise on two politically charged scenes.

Jozua Malherbe, a filmmaker taking part, as I was, in the Talents Durban program was unimpressed. He said Cold Harbour gave the impression—from its trailer I assume—that it was a thriller but it failed to be a good example of one. Unburdened by both hype and trailer, I explained that the film was drama with action diversions. I believe(d) so, yet that was talk; I was thinking: here is a man spoilt by a national cinema producing excellent films regularly.

Nigerian cinemagoers don’t have that luxury. A film half as well made as Cold Harbour will meet with deserved acclaim. Expression of chagrin at the little letdowns of a film with such production values as Cold Harbour is a privilege exclusive to customers of better fare.

Gavin Hood’s Best Foreign Film Oscar for Tsotsi is the acclaim-peak of a cinema tradition that has, save for commercial appeal, eclipsed the Nigerian film industry. As a country in love with excess, we citizens, surrealists, are quick to tout volume of production that places the country as third in production, after the other –woods, as proof of success. The volume of releases of the Nigerian film industry is, however, a tribute to the industry of the Nigerian—it is not evidence of artistry.

Because a film festival is mostly about artistry, it was certain Nollywood will be excluded; yet with evidence came a sting.

Living Funeral Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRqxVja0KPo

The 2014 DIFF catalogue listed two and a half films from Nigeria—half because Biyi Bandele’s Half of A Yellow Sun is credited to both the UK and Nigeria. The others, Udoka Oyeka’s short film Living Funeral and Chika Anadu’s B for Boy, are wholly Nigerian. None of these films screened in competition. (A fourth film Gone Too Far, also not in competition, was directed by Destiny Ekaragha, who is of Nigerian parentage.)

Such is the Nollywood stigma that when I asked Chika Anadu at the Q and A session after the screening of the super-serious B for Boy if she considers her film Nollywood, she said no. She went on to clarify. Nollywood had made her career possible; but while its very visible viability gave her aspirations credibility, she feels unconnected to its sensibility.

B for Boy Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhTbVimeX4

The filmmaker is of course free to profess a dissociation from her country’s major cinema tradition. But with the Nigerian film industry only into its third decade, is total dissociation necessary? Might it not be prudent to profess a change in direction as opposed to freeing oneself from a tradition that has given young filmmakers freedom in the first place?

Again, Anadu’s use of Ngozi Amarikwa, famous for her role in some of the earliest Nollywood films, and Oyeka’s use of Liz Benson, star actress of 90s Nollywood (avant la lettre), means the novel directors are yet to discover novel tools. And here the irony of expressing an exception to Nollywood shows: these young non-Nollywood filmmakers in going forward are using tools of the past. Not to say there is no place for Nollywood vets, but the situation is akin to a farmer using hoes and cutlasses while speaking endlessly about mechanised farming.

Destiny Ekaragha on Gone Too Far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3d2ZapWDSg

On several occasions my presence at the Durban Film Festival as critic was greeted with surprise. A participant asked how it was possible to be critic in so ‘chaotic’ a movie industry.

That was a hard one, but in the grand scheme of hard questions presented to Nollywood-backing Nigerians at the Durban International Film Festival, I got off easy.

A Nigerian journalist was discussing the existence of Rwandan cinema, when, perhaps in jest, he was asked by a filmmaker from that country: “is it not better to produce nothing than to produce crap?”

SOURCE - http://thisisafrica.me/lifestyle/nollywood-nightmare-durban-int-film-fest/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My people, na so we see this article. What do you all think?

9 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Briareos(m): 5:44pm On Aug 05, 2014
We knew this before na. We knew our movies + our industry na thrash. We know say we no join for movie matter.

But that's not the news. the news is that people wey suppose sabi, wey know better thing film follow join people wey dey do rubbish films.

22 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by dejahvu(m): 7:16pm On Aug 05, 2014
Lagos monopoly is the Bane of creativity in the nigerian entertainment industry

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by sholay2011(m): 8:29pm On Aug 05, 2014
cry cry sad
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 12:11am On Aug 06, 2014
Diaris God o!! grin

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by sholay2011(m): 1:03am On Aug 06, 2014
VillageBoi: Diaris God o!! grin
There's God indeed. All these threads that you're sharing will answer. sad

Nollywood has to get it right sooner than later o.

*Goes back to studying hooks in scriptwriting wink*

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 8:16am On Aug 06, 2014
sholay2011:

Not just getting it right but getting it right CONSISTENTLY... one off flukes are not enough.

Come oh, na right hook abi left hook wink

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by sholay2011(m): 9:17am On Aug 06, 2014
VillageBoi:

Not just getting it right but getting it right CONSISTENTLY... one off flukes are not enough.

Come oh, na right hook abi left hook wink
Getting it right CONSISTENTLY no easy oh...but persistence with willingness to learn should get us there.

Lol...right hook ko, front hook ni. tongue Smh.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 9:31am On Aug 06, 2014
sholay2011:
Getting it right CONSISTENTLY no easy oh...but persistence with willingness to learn should get us there.
People can do things 'consistently' abi we dey fear? Willingness to learn won't get us there but a willingness to apply what we have learnt will.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Jayboy124: 9:46am On Aug 06, 2014
No cinemas.

No good distribution network.

Nollywood dey fight CGI dinosaurs.

By the way, how our Oscar waka dey go sef?

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by sholay2011(m): 10:03am On Aug 06, 2014
VillageBoi:
People can do things 'consistently' abi we dey fear? Willingness to learn won't get us there but a willingness to apply what we have learnt will.
Hmmmmm....no be say we dey fear joor. But I know getting it RIGHT consistently isn't piece of cake. Doing things WRONGLY consistently is quite easy though. grin

Well yeah, applying things we've learnt. Mr Villageboi...I duff my hat. I hope to see you in real lyf someday. cheesy
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 10:10am On Aug 06, 2014
sholay2011:
Well yeah, applying things we've learnt. Mr Villageboi...I duff my hat. I hope to see you in real lyf someday. cheesy
Of course you will see me in real life. There's a whole bunch of you guys on NL I can't wait to meet. Damn, that'll be crazy fun.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 10:13am On Aug 06, 2014
Jayboy124: No cinemas.
Hahahaha oloshi... agbero boys done sell all the dinosaurs as grade 'A' meat. Even aliens dey fear come Naija make boys no rough them up, pull their shoe and send them packing.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by sholay2011(m): 10:37am On Aug 06, 2014
VillageBoi:
Of course you will see me in real life. There's a whole bunch of you guys on NL I can't wait to meet. Damn, that'll be crazy fun.
Lol
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 11:54am On Aug 06, 2014
sholay2011:
Lol
Na only 'lol' you fit tok?
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by prof800(m): 12:37pm On Aug 06, 2014
Jayboy124: No cinemas.

No good distribution network.

By the way, how our Oscar waka dey go sef?

'they' are working on it. sad undecided

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by sholay2011(m): 1:20pm On Aug 06, 2014
VillageBoi:
Na only 'lol' you fit tok?
Yes naa.

Lol grin grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 6:08pm On Aug 06, 2014
What's this about exactly? Durban film festival.... What's that? Nollywood films screen in much bigger festivals, who cares what South Africans think? They've always been anti-Nigeria, so to hell.

And we Nigerians; in our eyes (in all aspects of life), every kid is the best in the world, except ours. Who've bothered to know what's going on in SA film industry right now? Or what South Africans actually think about their films?

Talk of consistency, why didn't they keep winning oscars after Totsi? Talk about the Oscar sef, They won Oscar once and so effing what?!!! That's 10 years ago, get over it already! Look around, nothing really changed after Totsi.

Not one single Bollywood film has ever won an Oscar, yet Indians are not killing themselves over it. They are not using Oscar to measure their success, infact they don't care about it! Yet, everyone around the world will pick bollywood then take many many steps before even thinking of recognizing our almighty Oscar winning SA industry.

Bottomline is; i don't envy SA cinema! I don't wish Nollywood to be in its shoes. I don't want Nollywood to start making propanga-ridden western stereotypical films, just to attract western audience. That's what SA is doing and most South Africans bash their filmmakers for that and more. Most even use Nigeria as an example for their filmmakers. I don't want an industry without self esteem. I don't care if we keep producing crap, as long as we don't loose ourselves or start making some "shitty Tarzan-like" films. I'm comfortable with Nollywood depicting the typical Nigerian world and i even want them to up that "hip" style, a big NO to some "pity party" films! No way!

I'm sure the day Bollywood will start getting Oscar is when they start making "slum dog nonsense" kinda films where they'll depict some indians struggling to make it. That's the Oscar spirit; if it ain't hollywood, then don't depict a civilized citylife of your country, else no Oscar for you. What they want are films with strong "messages". You know what the message is wink.

83 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Jayboy124: 8:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
VillageBoi:
Hahahaha oloshi... agbero boys done sell all the dinosaurs as grade 'A' meat. Even aliens dey fear come Naija make boys no rough them, up pull their shoe and send them packing.

Mutants, super heroes... I know say all go dey fear come here, loooooooool.

Even Thor hammer go miss if he dare enter Naija.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Jayboy124: 8:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
prof800:

'they' are working on it. sad undecided

I hope say rigging no go dey.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Jayboy124: 8:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
Anyone heard of the film 50 Kisses?
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by sholay2011(m): 8:43pm On Aug 06, 2014
speedyboi: What's this about exactly? Durban film festival.... What's that? Nollywood films screen in much bigger festivals, who cares what South Africans think? They've always been anti-Nigeria, so to hell.

And we Nigerians; in our eyes (in all aspects of life), every kid is the best in the world, except ours. Who've bothered to know what's going on in SA film industry right now? Or what South Africans actually think about their films?

Talk of consistency, why didn't they keep winning oscars after Totsi? Talk about the Oscar sef, They won Oscar once and so effing what?!!! That's 10 years ago, get over it already! Look around, nothing really changed after Totsi.

Not one single Bollywood film has ever won an Oscar, yet Indians are not killing themselves over it. They are not using Oscar to measure their success, infact they don't care about it! Yet, everyone around the world will pick bollywood then take many many steps before even thinking of recognizing our almighty Oscar winning SA industry.

Bottomline is; i don't envy SA cinema! I don't wish Nollywood to be in its shoes. I don't want Nollywood to start making propanga-ridden western stereotypical films, just to attract western audience. That's what SA is doing and most South Africans bash their filmmakers for that and more. Most even use Nigeria as an example for their filmmakers. I don't want an industry without self esteem. I don't care if we keep producing crap, as long as we don't loose ourselves or start making some "shitty Tarzan-like" films. I'm comfortable with Nollywood depicting the typical Nigerian world and i even want them to up that "hip" style, a big NO to some "pity party" films! No way!

I'm sure the day Bollywood will start getting Oscar is when they start making "slum dog nonsense" kinda films where they'll depict some indians struggling to make it. That's the Oscar spirit; if it ain't hollywood, then don't depict a civilized citylife of your country, else no Oscar for you. What they want are films with strong "messages". You know what the message is wink.
Am....am I dreaming shocked

Speedyboi is back?

*Mouths 'Oh my God' *

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Jayboy124: 9:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
speedyboi: What's this about exactly? Durban film festival.... What's that? Nollywood films screen in much bigger festivals, who cares what South Africans think? They've always been anti-Nigeria, so to hell.

I think you're right about the 'slum-themed' stuff though but it's not always true. Have you seen the Iranian film A Seperation?
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by prof800(m): 10:12pm On Aug 06, 2014

+1999 Likes.

15 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by prof800(m): 10:14pm On Aug 06, 2014
Jayboy124:

I hope say rigging no go dey.
Hahaha...
I hope so too. grin

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 10:53pm On Aug 06, 2014
prof800:
+1999 Likes.
Only 1999 likes... ah, that post na 9999 likes oh!

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 10:57pm On Aug 06, 2014
sholay2011:
Am....am I dreaming shocked

Speedyboi is back?

*Mouths 'Oh my God' *
Haba, he has been back since nah! At least one miracle came out of the 2014 NL hack/crash... the dearly departed returned!
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by sholay2011(m): 11:10pm On Aug 06, 2014
VillageBoi:
Haba, he has been back since nah! At least one miracle came out of the 2014 NL hack/crash... the dearly departed returned!
Lol. I know his moniker was 'revived' with the NL crash but didn't he is now back online...with his unmatched stubborness and strange comments undecided
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 12:11am On Aug 08, 2014
VillageBoi:
A Nigerian journalist was discussing the existence of Rwandan cinema, when, perhaps in jest, he was asked by a filmmaker from that country: “is it not better to produce nothing than to produce crap?”

And on this very last sentence, my own response is -

Absolutely not! It's far better to produce crap than nothing at all because by producing crap one is immediately on the first rung of the ladder to 'learning' and greater things.
*Ahem* errrrmmmmm Rwanda produces what?!?!

7 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 09, 2014
sholay2011:
There's God indeed. All these threads that you're sharing will answer. sad

What a waste of a thread, everyone knows this its not news, stop deceiving yourself about nollywood nothing will change they are making money in africa and they don't care..don't waste out time again with this rubbish nuff said

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by sholay2011(m): 9:24pm On Aug 09, 2014
justcoolgmt: What a waste of a thread, everyone knows this its not news, stop deceiving yourself about nollywood nothing will change they are making money in africa and they don't care..don't waste out time again with this rubbish nuff said
Please, don't quote me.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by safarigirl(f): 3:44pm On Aug 10, 2014
A thousand gbosas to speedyboi for that awesome post abeg.

SA movies are extremely boring cuz they only shoot what Westerners like. No originality at all, nothing hip and fun. All their movies are either based on apartheid, drug abuse or some other shitty problem people would rather forget.

They're little pawns, the Western worl isn't interested in a civilized Africa, they only love watching woe-unto-I movies like Mandela, war and propaganda movies like that nonsensically boring Black Gold and ridiculous movies like Mr. Bones.

In fact, Osuofia in London was so famous cuz it depicted an impossibly uncivilized African in the Western World, which is exactly what they want to see

18 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Most Annoying TV Adverts / BBNaija: Housemates Nominated For Possible Eviction On Sunday / Profile Of Chichi, Bbnaija Season 7 Housemate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.