Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible (38071 Views)

ANAMBRA CORPSE: Contacts Test Negative To Ebola Virus..by Vincent Ujumadu / How Nigerians Can Defeat Ebola Virus -by Attorney Patryk Utulu (USA) / Men: Experts Say You’re Overweight If You Can’t See Your Joystick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by oshokay(m): 9:20am On Aug 06, 2014
THE Ebola Virus is essentially transmitted from human-to-human through direct contact with infected patients, or through contact with body fluids of a victim. However, scientists are not ruling out the possibility of transmission by air through aerosolised particles.

Previously, Canadian scientists have shown that the deadliest form of the Ebola virus (the Zaire Ebola) could be transmitted by air between species. Although no human over-ther-air transmission of the lethal viral disorder has been recorded, but the Patrick Sawyer incidence in Lagos, Nigeria, has reopened worries over the implications of the possibility of its transmission in an enclosed environment such as an aircraft cabin.

Transmissible from pigs to monkeys by air Studies show that the Ebola virus is transmissible to monkeys from infected pigs without them coming into direct contact. The Ebola virus survives for days outside infected hosts and can “ride” on aerosolised droplets to spread to potential victims.

In a demonstration of the infectious dose of the Ebola virus, the Public Health Agency of Canada says 1 – 10 aerosolised organisms are sufficient to cause infection in humans.

In demonstrating the transmission from pigs to monkeys without any direct contact between them, the scientists housed the pigs carrying the virus in pens with the monkeys in close proximity but separated by a wire barrier. After eight days, some of the macaques (monkeys) were showing clinical signs typical of ebola and were euthanised.

According to the Canadian Public Health Agency: “The virus can survive in liquid or dried material for a number of days. Infectivity is found to be stable at room temperature or at 4 degrees celsius for several days, and indefinitely stable at -70 degrees celsius . Infectivity can be preserved by lyophilisation.

Hence, it is implied that Ebola viruses can survive for several days on common objects such as door knobs or household surfaces. If an infected Ebola victim runs around touching such common objects after cleaning blood or mucous from his nose, another innocent victim can easily infect himself by touching the same objects and then eating some food that places the virus in his mouth.

Level 4 biohazard
Ebola, considered a level-4 biohazard, is very infectious, requiring special protective biohazard suits, containment Level 4 facilities, equipment, and operational practices for work involving infectious or potentially infectious materials, animals, and cultures. To date, according to the World Health Organisation, the Ebola virus has caused 1,323 cases of the disease and 729 deaths–a mortality rate of 55%

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/experts-say-transmission-ebola-virus-air-possible/

3 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by Toyolad(m): 10:23am On Aug 06, 2014
I just switched on my nokia phone and two hands refused to shake hands..hmmm I guess that's the fear of Ebola.

109 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by CharlieMaria(m): 3:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ok

1 Like

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by justi4jesu(f): 3:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
Hiann!!! It is well cry

1 Like

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by sirjohnson(m): 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
God help us all o. Read Shocking Ebola facts here: www.9u0f2h85mi and you will know that this deadly thing can finish humanity. I pray it doesnt
Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by BrAkingNews: 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
CharlieMaria: Ok
Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by chitokwe(f): 3:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
The grace and mercy of GOD almighty be with us.Amen

9 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by dridowu: 3:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
All is well

2 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by Sweetlemon(f): 3:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
Toyolad: I just switched on my nokia phone and two hands refused to shake hands..hmmm I guess that's the fear of Ebola.

The next time I see a joke on ebola, I'm gonna show the poster how bitter lemons can be.

27 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
Interesting.

I just knew it...but they should have disclosed this to the public time ago.

3 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by sofadj(m): 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
You wont believe how fast Ebola can kill,see how the deadly ebola virus kills here:

http://www.healthlineafrica.com/how-ebola-kills/

2 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by aibisoye: 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked grin grin grin
Toyolad: I just switched on my nokia phone and two hands refused to shake hands..hmmm I guess that's the fear of Ebola.

2 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by onlymase(m): 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
#rollbackebola

22 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by alotofgrace(m): 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
well...

experts.... always wrong

why-we-should-believe-the-dreamers-and-not-the-experts i read this thread on LinkedIn

1 Like

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by vivaciousvivi(f): 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
The news just gets grimmer and grimmer sad
What are the aerosolised organisms abeg?

5 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by Nobody: 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
Abeg o.

1 Like

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by kobonaire(m): 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
What da .... And Dr Sanjay Gupta@CNN was yarning for hours that Ebola is highly infectious and not highly contagious. This subtle but distinct difference means that it can not be spread by air but rather only by contact with bodily fluids of an infected individual.

3 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by ndlife: 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
it cant happen,dat just a virus

1 Like

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 06, 2014
I hope this does not spiral out of control. Especially in Nigeria - think overcrowded slums and the likes.

5 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by iJAY1: 3:29pm On Aug 06, 2014
can we give Ebola a break? too much of it on the news. it creates more harm than good

13 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
justi4jesu: Hiann!!! It is well cry
Turn around! Ebola is at your back shocked run!

1 Like

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by publicenemy(m): 3:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
Hmmnnn...Na wah.

Small time them go say it can be transfered through bluetooth.

One news today another news tomorow.

3 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by Leopantro: 3:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
the following was said on April 9th, 2014.

“Nigeria is ready, because the
Ministry has taken every
precaution, including getting the
vaccines and medicines in case
there was any incident in
Nigeria." Minister of
Information, Labaran Maku
“If there were vaccines,
government will certainly buy a
stock and keep. There is no
specific treatment.” Minister of
Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu

2 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by saymax(f): 3:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
Make una(all in d SW) respect una sef stay 4 una region while we here in d north stay wit our bokoharams. Shebi una no want bombs? Smthing gat 2 giv.

11 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by justi4jesu(f): 3:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
Nobleval: Turn around! Ebola is at your back shocked run!

lol...not my portion abeg cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by Ekans: 3:32pm On Aug 06, 2014
With all these hi-tech grammer concerning ebola, na die be dat ooooo.

5 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by wellmax(m): 3:32pm On Aug 06, 2014
Is this a death sentence on the world?

6 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by Rilwayne001: 3:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
embarassed Lord have mercy embarassed

5 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by RedArrow: 3:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
We 'll survive it.

5 Likes

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by hazyfm: 3:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
AIR BORNE

1 Like

Re: Experts Say Transmission Of Ebola Virus By Air Possible by MaziOmenuko: 3:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
This too shall pass.

It always does...

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SHAME: Over 50m Nigerians Defecate Openly (Pictured)–UNICEF / Nurse And Her Mother Test Positive For Coronavirus In Epe, Lagos / Ernest Izevbigie Sues Nigerian Breweries For Misleading People About Malt Drink

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.