Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,855 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts (51004 Views)

Ebola: Lagos Okays N50m Grants To First Consultant Medical Centre / Ebola: Lagos Govt Confirms 2 Contact With Dead Victim Had Fever / Ebola: Lagos Govt Identifies 59 Contacts With dead Liberian Victim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by fun4: 5:06pm On Aug 06, 2014
The Lagos State Government has commenced an intensive search for 27 secondary contacts, who might have had contacts with doctors, nurses and health workers, who attended to the late Liberian-American Patrick Sawyer, at a Lagos private hospital.

Sawyer, who was infected with the deadly Ebola virus in his native Liberia, died in the Obalende, Lagos-based hospital penultimate Friday, four days after he was admitted to the hospital.

The 40-year-old Sawyer was in Nigeria to attend a conference in Calabar, Cross River State.

Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, who spoke in Lagos on Wednesday, said the government was also planning a life insurance cover for doctors and other health professionals, who volunteered to work with experts monitoring and testing suspected cases of the Ebola Virus Disease.

Idris, who spoke at a press briefing, said the government was presently facing a shortage of experts, doctors and health workers needed to attend to those that had been infected and those that were going to be isolated for monitoring.

He said, “We will provide a life insurance for any doctor, nurse and other experts that want to work with isolated patients. We need more hands, because we have moved from the stage of primary contacts to secondary contacts.

“We are tracing all the people that had contact, not just with (the late) Sawyer, but those that had contacts with the health workers and others that have died.

“We have identified 27 secondary contacts already, we tracing the addresses of others.

“It is a tedious task, because we will also be taking their blood samples for testing and we will be monitoring them.

“We are appealing to the doctors on strike to resume work and set aside their grievances. No doubt, this situation is a dire emergency and our health professionals must recognise that.

“It will be morally unjustifiable for us to call for help from the international community if our own experts and doctors are not working.

“The bottom line is that we cannot provide the requisite expertise needed to manage these confirmed and probable cases.”

Idris said it would also be evacuating tuberculosis patients at the Infectious Diseases Hospital in Yaba, Lagos, to another hospital to accommodate more suspected and isolated cases.

The commissioner said, “The TB patients at Mainland Hospital were protesting this morning but we appealed to them, that if they stay there they might be exposed and get infected.

“If we need to evacuate any hospital to ensure that we contain this disease, we will do it. If we have to take suspected cases to LASUTH, we will do it. If we need to take decisions that will be inconvenient for some people but beneficial to the larger population, we will do it. Ebola is a highly infectious disease. We will do it to contain it.”

www.punchng.com/news/ebola-lagos-begins-search-for-27-secondary-contacts/

9 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by Leopantro: 5:40pm On Aug 06, 2014
The bottom line is that we cannot provide the
requisite expertise needed to manage these
confirmed and probable cases

But I thought you said doctors have volunteered to help out.

Ebola horror: When Nigeria's first case was told he had Ebola, he pulled down pants and URINATED on the doctors - FPAfrica

BTW, I know where two are.

7 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by ddooskie(m): 5:44pm On Aug 06, 2014
good move

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by CharlieMaria(m): 5:44pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 06, 2014
The truth of d matter is dat Nigeria is still too far frm being developed.
Wit d epidemic in Liberia, he was still allowed to come to Nigeria for a conference??
Naija needs to wake up frm dis 'I-dnt-care' attitude.. If they av taken proactive measures wen d disease broke out in Liberia(by tightenin borders nd security, etc), by now, there shud be no such tin as ebola in Naija!!

9 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by alotofgrace(m): 5:46pm On Aug 06, 2014
there biodata are at the airline they flew...

god help us
Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by Blockus: 5:46pm On Aug 06, 2014
Tooo Late Biitches...

Patrick Sawyer arrived Nigeria on the 20th of Fhucking JULY..

Na today, 6th of August, 3 weeks after na ehn them wan start to contain the matter. grin

The Grim Reapers reaction to News of Ebola in Nigeria... grin

[img]http://media./media/gEo36y1gALoQ/giphy.gif[/img]

31 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by priscaoge(f): 5:47pm On Aug 06, 2014
May God save us from this deadly virus angry We Have had enough lately. This Boko Haram is too much for us to bear,So Ebola there's no space for u in this country sad angry I pray they use every possible means to evacuate this wicked virus because this is more deadly n wicked than Boko Haram angry cry angry angry

14 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by johnshagb(m): 5:47pm On Aug 06, 2014
Where's jack bauer

11 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by Kalvan300: 5:48pm On Aug 06, 2014
LooooL!!!

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by henrinity(m): 5:48pm On Aug 06, 2014
Every day Ebola Issue..Oluwa will definitely come to our rescue #Ibelieve.

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by vedaxcool(m): 5:48pm On Aug 06, 2014
This is very disturbing, I assumed they would have quaratined everybody that the late sawyer came in contact with?

6 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by Enity: 5:49pm On Aug 06, 2014
Good move so far by the Lagos State Govt. we all must commend you. You have done the very best given the inadequacies in this country.

Please, whatever the difficulty, Ebola must be curtailed! There should be no politicking on it too.

6 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by realone2012: 5:49pm On Aug 06, 2014
'Every Pharaoh has a Moses'.
Oh Ebola! Your 'Moses' will be discovered sooner rather than later.. In sha Allah

39 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by iterator25: 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2014
chai!! our own don finish ooooooo

i'm going back to ijesha asap! before abiola takes me my family

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by Tunmi(f): 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2014
Health professionals should have life insurance for occupational hazard anyway. I hope this plan goes well

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by Mexyz(m): 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2014
If you know you had a contact with the said persons and you are on nl reading this, pls report yourself to the appropriate authorities bikonu. God help us.

39 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by wayne4loan: 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2014
Naija which way? It seems the numbers of Ebola victims keeps on growing larger everyday

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by remmat(f): 5:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
am so scared....God please help us

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by Liability(m): 5:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
ebola is making headlines more than hiv.

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by ashewopeckas(f): 5:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, so they are on the loose.

Omo na to dey rub hand sanitizer for t0to now oh, make these mumu clients nor gimme EBOLA

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by GentleMimi: 5:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
Nigeria! Always reactive,never proactive.
I cannot believe we are still considering locations for Ebola victims. They are still contemplating places to evacuate,so as to make room for the victims.
Last two months when i read abt an awareness campaign,i assumed certain things were put in place for preparedness,but i guessed wrong.
This unpreparedness is causing chaos. Chaos breeds confusion. In the midst of confusion,objective thinking is virtually impossible.
Now we are running about,looking for secondary contacts. Soon it will be tertiary contacts.

13 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
“The TB patients at Mainland Hospital were protesting this morning but we appealed to them, that if they stay there they might be exposed and get infected."

grin grin grin grin grin
Abi TB patients no like their life?

But this Sawyer(suya) guy nawa for u o.

Finest Boy.

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by coolsalm: 5:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
This EBOLA! Shit is getting more serious by the day
#GodHelpYourChildren!

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by wayne4loan: 5:52pm On Aug 06, 2014
Thinking of exit destination! " Cotonue here I come"

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by Mickey7(m): 5:52pm On Aug 06, 2014
While others get a hundred plus likes for their comments,No one ever likes my comment please advise me

144 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by roufy235(m): 5:52pm On Aug 06, 2014
hmm
Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 06, 2014
There are actually two on NL;the Liberian named "Demdem";and the apc b00tlicker /transgender called-"Berem"

10 Likes

Re: Ebola: Lagos Begins Man-hunt For 27 Secondary Contacts by mrking3(m): 5:53pm On Aug 06, 2014
Thankfully, the body of patrick was burnt to ashes! So no need to wish him to Hell anymore!! This man is just an Agent of the devil released to destroy the world!

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

'beard Gang Can Give You A Vaginal Infection' - Nigerian Doctor Claims / Man And His Pregnant Wife Found Dead In Their Abuja Home (Photos) / 16-Year-Old SA Girl Accused Of Witchcraft Commits Suicide, Leaves Note Behind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.