Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,555 members, 7,809,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

My Little Advice To Job Seekers On Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Little Advice To Job Seekers On Interviews (1171 Views)

My Advice To Job Seekers Based On Experience. / Prophesy To All Job Seekers On NAIRALAND!! / Job Seekers On Nairaland: Let's Get Organized (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Little Advice To Job Seekers On Interviews by LaurelP(m): 10:56pm On Aug 06, 2014
Its no longer news that there are not enough jobs out there for graduates. Its gradually becoming more possible for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for a graduate to get a job immediately after graduation and the one year compulsory "service".
It has become so bad that O'level is gradually fading out and becoming useless as jobs meant for this level are being rushed for by OND and even degree holders atimes. Me for instance, the first job I had to do was a teaching job which paid me a paltry #15000/month. Ordinarily, this kind of job should be done by Olevel holders.
During the course of my job hunt, I attended a lot of interviews, both genuine and scam ones. I learned a lot cos as they say, experience is the best teacher! I made a lot of mistakes and also saw other job seekers make a whole lot of mistakes too, so I learned first hand, what interviews are usually all about. So I decided to share a little about the nitty-gritty of preparing and sitting for an interview in Nigeria from my own experience. Since the jobs are scarce, we should really make sure we nail it on the first few interviews we attend.
Now to the tips:
1. Package an easy to read resume: No need to use those big big and popular phrases like I'm a team player. Most employers know dat people just smuggle those phrases and they've become too old. If u must use them, back dem up with how you've demonstrated such traits in the past. Highlight ur job experience if u have one and also ur education. Keep it smart and simple, no ambiguity.

2. Study your resume: Make sure you're conversant with every detail on your CV. Memorise your career objective if you have one. There's nothing as embarassing as not being able to recite ur career objective when asked to. Read every detail on ur CV and know them like the palm ur hands.

3. You must know how to respond to the question "May we know you?": Almost all the interviews I attended, I was asked that question and its usually the first question. Its a brief summary of your CV starting fromyour name.

4.Decide the least salary you will earn: This is important because almost all the interviewers will ask this question. Based on the level of the company, the position and other factors, its good to have a figure in mind that you cannot go lower than. This is to avoid feeling like a fool after you've been hired and you realise that you were cheated.

5. Get some info about the company: They are likely to ask a question about the company and it will be a shame not to know the company one is aspiring to work with.

Let me stop here for now. I will share more later

6. Be well dressed and groomed: Wear a corporate dress and make sure it is well ironed. Polish your shoes and put on a tie if you don't have a suit. Have a neat haircut or hairdo for ladies. It increases your confidence and also raises your value in the eyes of the employers. First impression matters a lot and you're more likely to get a good offer if you look polished and professional.

7. Smile: Don't frown your face. Smile when meeting the interviewers and try to be confident even if you're scared, don't show it.

8. See interviews as an interaction and not an exam: The problem most times is dat we see interviews as a question and answer session where the interviewer must be asking and we will be answering. It shouldn't be like that. Atimes, in interviews I'm usually the first person to ask a question. For instance asking "How is work?" gives me the needed confidence to carry on till the end.

10 Likes

Re: My Little Advice To Job Seekers On Interviews by cuteposhy(f): 11:47am On Aug 07, 2014
Nice and inspiring....
Re: My Little Advice To Job Seekers On Interviews by pearlmma05(f): 12:41pm On Aug 07, 2014
Ride on! I am following smiley
Re: My Little Advice To Job Seekers On Interviews by rexibity(m): 3:57pm On Aug 07, 2014
chillin beside your posts with my regular drink...
Re: My Little Advice To Job Seekers On Interviews by snill: 5:40pm On Aug 07, 2014
Great and inspiring tips. I love dis. I haven't done any interview yet coz I just graduated and serving, but I'm already seeing myself in front of the interview panel using some of dis tips. Nice one...ride on smiley

(1) (Reply)

WAEC Recruiting Graduates With Degrees In Education And Counselling Psychology. / Nlng Experienced Hire Interview / Stranded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.