Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,292 members, 7,780,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:26 PM

How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? (10686 Views)

After A Long Day Of Job Hunting / My Funny Job Hunting Experience / What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 07, 2014
I use to be a very bright student back then in school but unsuccessful aptitude test and interviews have made me look like a high class Grade I Olodo. I have been job hunting for the past 5months+ now but no show. I know my condition is not the worst but i'll like to hear how long you have been job hunting or how long you job hunted before you got a job. Please share for it can be a hope for the hopeless cos i'm totally depressed now.

3 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by lekhane(m): 10:44am On Aug 07, 2014
OP, don't be depressed, if you finished NYSC february this year, then I think we are in the same boat, My advice is try to get something doing no matter how small or unprofitable or embarrassing it is, it will not only get some money in your pocket, it will save you from been depressed and give you experience and exposure. Sooner or later we'll all have reasons to look back and smile

8 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by groovie(m): 10:50am On Aug 07, 2014
Bros abeg just help us modify ur topic. U get?
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 07, 2014
lekhane, thanks alot for those encouraging words.
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 07, 2014
groovie: Bros abeg just help us modify ur topic. U get?
you can help me modify it. U get?

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by groovie(m): 12:17pm On Aug 07, 2014
unyours: you can help me modify it. U get?
Enjoy grin
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by chommi(f): 1:40pm On Aug 07, 2014
unyours: I use to be a very bright student back then in school but unsuccessful aptitude test and interviews have made me look like a high class Grade I Olodo. I have been job hunting for the past 5months+ now but no show. I know my condition is not the worst but i'll like to hear how long you have been job hunting or how long you job hunted before you got a job. Please share for it can be a hope for the hopeless cos i'm totally depressed now.

we r in d same boat oh.
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by may448(f): 1:41pm On Aug 07, 2014
My broda no bi small matter...after P.O.P for feb,i came back with pride at least i wil get a teaching job being experienced n Bsc ed.wen called the first offer was 27k even dou the pupils pay more than 40k n i will hav up to 15 of them to teach,i insisted on 30k tinking they wil call me back after impressing them in all test.by the time i didn,t hear from them i called back as to tell them dat i want to start only to be told the offer was taken same day.
With high hope i continue....the next was 20k with SHAKARA i told them i wil think about it...behold by the next school day i called another has gladly taken it....The 3rd was 15 i was told me that they call me to tell me wen to start..only to hear it was given to ssce holder...the last was 10k i eagerly took it but my hubby said i stay at home he can afford to pay me that till better job comes.
....my dear i,m still searching.i wil never loose hope...infact as i,m typing this i,m in a cab taking to warri for interview...wish me luck N/landers.

25 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 07, 2014
chommi:

we r in d same boat oh.
my dear ihn no easy. One day that same boat will take us to our desired destination. I believe so.
Wow, thanks may448 for sharing your experience. I'm really touched especially when you wanted to settle for the less - really what frustration can cause. I wish you all the best dear. May God be with you.
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by cuteposhy(f): 2:15pm On Aug 07, 2014
Truth is, it is not how fast but how well! I have a friend who got a ( 500k) job after 3 years of job hunting...

9 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by justineu(m): 2:38pm On Aug 07, 2014
@ op, am also in ur shoes too I passed out dis year feb.in abuja, even d small pay job is very difficult to see self talk of the 100k+ own, the only tin dat is kipin me busy nw is movies.,@tymes u may nt ven enjoy d movie bcus u will remember dat u might still stay @ home the nxt mornin..seriously am nt gettin it funny anymore..the Lord will see us tru sha

4 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 07, 2014
No matter what you have to start somewhere, my first job after NYSC june 2013 was 23K teaching, used the salary for transportation and feeding while searching for better, thank God the school wasn't so strict so when I have test and interviews I could go for them, but I made sure I taught the students like no other could.
After a few months I got a contract job of 130K per month after 4 months contract expired and I volunteered to remain with them even without pay just to gather up experience since it was my field.
That experience paid of atleast I earn 200+ monthly with great prospects of earning over 500+ in a month.

Start somewhere, and don't think because you have a 2'1 in a good engineering course you can't do some jobs. See it as a means to an end. Jobs won't come meet you at home, its not easy but its very much possible, people are doing it..you can!!!!

And less I forget, there are still many companies who recruit on merit...so study for your tests very well, prepare for your interviews and God be with you.

11 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by liliangmail(f): 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2014
Dsame here! After POP feb, i tot by nw i must av reged for Msc bt wer u see job? Well all hope is nt lost.... Beta days ahead
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Cpumping(m): 3:54pm On Aug 07, 2014
I passed out october 2013, after many depressing months, many regret mails and many 'we would get back to you', I got invited to a bank's training school in may 2014.
It lasted for a month, & now I'm still waiting to be called to resume.
Its just depressing. But God dey sha.

1 Like

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 07, 2014
5 months
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by ednut1(m): 4:56pm On Aug 07, 2014
three and half depressing, frustrating and esteem sucking months grin, d job came from no where, went fot interview failed all d questions, was like chai not again, which kind tin be dis, but to my suprise they were like ur young, smart and straight, ur also a chartered accountant at such young age, lets give u a try and u asked for the least salary, first person asked for 350k, the oda 280k grin, asked for lipsrsealed, make una no give up o, e go beta . still dey search for sometin bigger sha cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 07, 2014
@ OP.... Keep the faith alive. Never despair, your job's on its way

@ topic
Got my first real job 5 weeks after POP from NYSC in February this year. A test I gatecrashed because I was bored @ home. Borrowed fare from Pops n the rest is history. But b4 then, I was always on the road to n fro Lagos during service year... PwC, Unilever, KPMG n Shell knack me better regret mails but the experience gotten from those failed tests helped me scale the test that landed me my present 6 digits job

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by will2lead(m): 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2014
I finished serving feb 14, 2014,decided to rest trout the month of feb before applying for any job at all and dat was in warri because i held too many positions during my nysc. O boi, after one week, rest tire me, na so i send application to so so many companies in my field (make i no even try mention the total number of application i sent), after three days, i got an invite in lag; i called and postponed it to the next day, packed a few of my belongings, went to lag and did d interview. As a mata of fact dose funny guys haven't gotten back to me; anyways, as i was still awaiting dere feedback, i got a call and he person said, he got my mail seeking for a placement and dat his company doesn't hv but that he heard abt one company seeking for my field and that he will send me a mail containing who i should contact, na so i thank the unknown caller till date, called up the manager from the mail i was sent and he booked an appointement wit me next day, did test and passed, moved to interview and negotiation and collected my letter around first of march, den told dem i will resume wen am ready (lol), went to play wit my friends in lag for two weeks because no playing days if u working in lag, and on march 11 i started working. So boTtom line, i job hunted for like a week or so...

5 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 07, 2014
cuteposhy: Truth is, it is not how fast but how well! I have a friend who got a ( 500k) job after 3 years of job hunting...
I have a friend too, got a job at schlumberger after 3years too.. 750k

4 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Aug 07, 2014
Took me 1 year, 1 month to get a job after NYSC. (June 2013- July 2014). Wrote series of tests, passed some, failed some, got no result for some. Shuttling between Osun state and lag for interviews and aptitude tests was demoralising enough. Started MSc in January just to put my mind off joblessness, I discovered this helped me a lot because i started passing tests frequently after resumption (back to school things grin).

My advice is don't dwell much on regret mails. Bigger and better things are coming. Mine is a testimony.

7 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by luvola(m): 11:08pm On Aug 07, 2014
I am a bookworm while in the university having graduated with 2.1 bsc accounting but right now ,I am below average in aptitude test due to low moral , fustration . Finished service last year june so it 13months of job hunting and still counting . I have lost confidence in such a way that I now believe I can never pass an aptitude test again. Even a nairalander still called me a fustrated over age job seeker 2 days ago using my predicament to abuse me . Well I can't blame him ,na condition make cray fish head bend. I will be heading to several audit firms tomorrow to drop CVs ,hope I see God's favour.

16 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Felixitie(m): 11:23pm On Aug 07, 2014
When there is life there is hope,,I finished my nysc last october,10mnths counting,,,yeepaa,many test and few interview,passed some and failed some,moving up and down hustling for jobs.Am so strong and I believe in time or matured period,no lamentation or feeling depressed cos am on the right direction and growing,and some failures must come before success,it is a process.Even did one interview today...just keep believin,the journey isn't for the swift..There is God,,different appointed time..soon,goodnews is coming,,ready for ur testimony,SHALOM

3 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by sleeksuz: 11:40pm On Aug 07, 2014
I finished nysc in feb bh had my baby abt a month before so wasn't too keen in looking for month till last month wen my baby turn 6 months.house don tire me. Like this boredom is making me tink nonsense sef. Tinking of looking for one teaching job around till betta tin come. U are even getting regret mails and call sef, me I neva see any. God pls help me cous You no dis is not my kind of living.
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by nitane25(f): 12:44am On Aug 08, 2014
Omo,I stil dey d boat oh..feb 13 stil waitn4God n searchn
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Nobody: 3:28am On Aug 08, 2014
may448: My broda no bi small matter...after P.O.P for feb,i came back with pride at least i wil get a teaching job being experienced n Bsc ed.wen called the first offer was 27k even dou the pupils pay more than 40k n i will hav up to 15 of them to teach,i insisted on 30k tinking they wil call me back after impressing them in all test.by the time i didn,t hear from them i called back as to tell them dat i want to start only to be told the offer was taken same day.
With high hope i continue....the next was 20k with SHAKARA i told them i wil think about it...behold by the next school day i called another has gladly taken it....The 3rd was 15 i was told me that they call me to tell me wen to start..only to hear it was given to ssce holder...the last was 10k i eagerly took it but my hubby said i stay at home he can afford to pay me that till better job comes.
....my dear i,m still searching.i wil never loose hope...infact as i,m typing this i,m in a cab taking to warri for interview...wish me luck N/landers.
Try this https://www.nairaland.com/1428481/strictly-those-interested-teaching-jobs/19
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Nobody: 3:35am On Aug 08, 2014
Y'all coyld try this pending when you get a better offer https://www.nairaland.com/1428481/strictly-those-interested-teaching-jobs/19
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by stephen13(m): 4:47am On Aug 08, 2014
P0P february 13, got my first job a week before leaving service dats 9th of february dou d salary was just 50k. I had to be on the job just for m 2 see money 4 transportation and feeding after service. Some month got by with d experience gather on the job I move to a big FMCG dats exactly 2months with little experience gather on the job wch ws meant for 2 years experience person. My people der is ntng impossible if u start early dats wat have come 2 realize. Because all tru my service year I wrote series of test nd interview dat had prepared m for the life after service...dou we still dey find multinational oh . Nah God get power grin

1 Like

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by seagullbabz(m): 5:42am On Aug 08, 2014
4 weeks...finished service June...and got july...It is not the kind of digits I wanna see coming in, but it covers my transport and still leaves a size to save and flex...Its been grace tho, coz it was a 3years experienced position in the advert, but I just felt there was nothing bad in applying, since it was a post I felt I knew about, except the experience...I got a call for interview, and almost left when I saw the num of peeps that had cme in, but at the end I got it, even tho the coy slashed the salary for the post coz of the lack of 3years experience...May God grant us all abundant grace...It's not how far but how well...Bless

3 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by liliangmail(f): 7:53am On Aug 08, 2014
Reading d above write ups is enuff encouragment....dis is my 7th month of stayin at home! Even d teachin job sef , i no see bt i av nt lost hope... After so many interview, always end up wif *we will get back to u* ...well i av made up to mind to go nd reg for Msc or ICAN.... Beta still follow up my NIM prof
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by Glocee(f): 9:12am On Aug 08, 2014
luvola: I am a bookworm while in the university having graduated with 2.1 bsc accounting but right now ,I am below average in aptitude test due to low moral , fustration . Finished service last year june so it 13months of job hunting and still counting . I have lost confidence in such a way that I now believe I can never pass an aptitude test again. Even a nairalander still called me a fustrated over age job seeker 2 days ago using my predicament to abuse me . Well I can't blame him ,na condition make cray fish head bend. I will be heading to several audit firms tomorrow to drop CVs ,hope I see God's favour.
My dear, God will see u through. Don't grieve over what people say about ur present condition, these things will soon be history. I'm in d same boat with u, hence know ur pains but DON'T GIVE UP ON GOD!

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by crowntoro(f): 10:05am On Aug 08, 2014
Nigeria is messed up but dont give up.... sad
Re: How Long Did/Have Your Job Hunting Lasted? by luvola(m): 10:06am On Aug 08, 2014
Glocee:
My dear, God will see u through. Don't grieve over what people say about ur present condition, these things will soon be history. I'm in d same boat with u, hence know ur pains but DON'T GIVE UP ON GOD!
thank dear

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Long Does Recruitment Process Take. / I Was Deployed By Npower But I’m Far From My State / I Think Its Fraud Posting A Job Without A Salary Range

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.