Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating (1633 Views)

Why You Must Not Drink Water While Eating. / Reason Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating / Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating by ayukdaboss(m): 1:13pm On Aug 07, 2014
I am trying to remove the words “should” and “shouldn’t” from my vocabulary, and instead replacing them with “could”, but for the purposes of this article I feel it’s appropriate.

Drinking while you’re eating is not a good idea, and essentially it’s something most of us will benefit from refraining from.

It wasn’t so long ago that I found it almost impossible to make it through a meal without relying on a mouthful of water to wash down every bite, so I understand the resistance you might feel upon hearing this idea. However,
this also means that I have experienced the benefits of ceasing hydration during meals.

If I’m going to go around telling you that you shouldn’t enjoy your meal with a glass of water, I need to give you a reason why. So, here it is: It screws with your digestion.

When you’re settling in to enjoy a meal, your stomach – being the clever little worker that it is – will start releasing the exact amount of gastric juices that are needed to digest the food you’re shovelling into your system. However, if
liquid is going in as well, not only doesbthe water dilute the digestive juices, but water is absorbed through the walls of the stomach until the contents are concentrated enough for the digestive juices to act. When this happens, the concentrated substance ends up being
thicker than the food your stomach was
expecting to accommodate for and you won’t have enough gastric juice to break it down. This leads to undigested food being absorbed through the stomach wall and sneaking into your system.

Cold water, especially, is a problem. Drinking cold water during meals can slow digestion and may cause cramping if you are particularly sensitive.

If the idea of skipping water during meals all together is too much to handle, slowly wean yourself off it by just allowing small sips of room temperature water. Aim to hydrate
about 15 to 20 minutes before you eat, and then try not to drink too much water until about 30 minutes to an hour after you’ve finished your meal.

With all of the rules we have floating around in the wellness world, this isn’t something to worry yourself sick over. You don’t have to treat it as gospel.

However, if you do experience bloating, cramping or gas after eating, making this slight change could do you the world of good.

www.jessainscough.com/2011/11/why-you-shouldn’t-drink-water-while-you-eat/
Re: Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 07, 2014
Hah...if na this 1 go kill me, that means na God hand I dey.
I can't imagine eating without drinking water (simultaneously)...
I can't even try itttt!
I will dieee...lol

Growing up, when there wasn't enough food.
I would be like 'mummy I af not belleful'
She will tell me 'use water and fill ya belle'
So I started doing just that....
Old habits die hard, u know?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating by Nobody: 1:25pm On Aug 07, 2014
Noted!!!
i will definitely start frm tday, 30minutes wuld do for a start. Right?
Re: Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating by ayukdaboss(m): 1:27pm On Aug 07, 2014
unpredictedone: Noted!!!
i will definitely start frm tday, 30minutes wuld do for a start. Right?

Sure man...I have already started myself.
Re: Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating by KONJIKILLER(m): 3:20pm On Aug 07, 2014
Come chop my babe food,wey get pepper na.Woh na 2-litre keg go dey beside u,
Re: Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating by joeybankz: 7:17am On Nov 13, 2015
Water Absorption Capacity Tests

The results of the studied parameters are shown below in Table 7. The bulk density values range from 1309 to 1328 kg/m3 with a mean value of 1317 kg/m3. The lowest value1309kg/m3 is recorded on sample NC 2 and the highest value 1328 kg/m3 is recorded on sample NC 1. The values of water absorption capacity range from 0.25 to 3.20 % with a mean value of 1.83 %. Samples AHQ 1 and UC have the same and highest values of 3.20%, while samples NC 1 and EC have the lowest values of 0.24 and 0.28 % respectively. As seen in Table 9, the maximum value for bulk density is 1328 kg/m3 and the minimum value is 1309 kg/m3. The minimum and maximum values for water absorption capacity are 0.24 and 3.20 % respectively.

Table 7: Results of Bulk Density and Water Absorption Capacity Tests.
PARAMETER EC NC 1 NC 2 AHQ 1 AHQ 2 LC UC

Bulk Density (kg/m3) 1313 1328 1309 1325 1312 1316 1313
*W.A.C (%) 0.28 0.24 1.32 3.20 3.00 1.58 3.20

*Water Absorption Capacity

Table 8: Summary of Properties.
http://www.prestarticles.com/geochemical-bulk-density-water-absorption-capacity-tests/

(1) (Reply)

Brown VS White Rice - 13 Little-known Health Difference? / Pls Help Me Oo Have Started To Notice Jaundise On My Baby ,what Can I Use / This Happens When You Take Tramadol, Alcohol For Sex........try This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.