Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,667 members, 7,801,926 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! (1561 Views)

Visa-free Countries For Nigerian Citizens / U.S. Issues Travel Warning To Its Citizens In Nigeria / Which Countries Are Visa-Free To Nigeria Citizens? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by lukkie(m): 8:12pm On Jul 21, 2006
this story caught my attention and i feel y'all should see it. Freedom isn't so free afterall.

See http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/latestnews/index.php?id=7583
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by OldGlory1(m): 8:25pm On Jul 21, 2006
Lukkie

I would say that is very cheap for the Marines, the Navy/Ocean Liners and a plane ride home. Plus you sign a "I owe U form" and the government gives you ample time to pay back. It is not the government that sent those citizens to Lebanon. The US and EU governments have done well for their citizens abroad and many evacuees are pleased.
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by LoverBwoy(m): 8:28pm On Jul 21, 2006
atleats they are offering something for their citizens

i wonder if any nigerian embassy put a warning in its website about things going on in the middle east or any evacuation plans? undecided
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by naijarikan(m): 8:33pm On Jul 21, 2006
The US congress has ordered the US military not to collect on these promisory notes.
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by Seun(m): 8:57pm On Jul 21, 2006
It's time people learnt to take responsibility for their own actions. If people are rich and responsible enough decide to emmigrate to the middle east, they should be rich and responsible enough to pay for emergency evacuation. People should learn responsibility. It is not ok to rob an entire country for the benefit of a few.

Before you start applauding the US Congress, consider the fact that they are not the ones paying for the evacuation.
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by LoverBwoy(m): 9:01pm On Jul 21, 2006
thats why tax are paid wink
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by OldGlory1(m): 9:12pm On Jul 21, 2006
Naijarikan

You got your info from where? Some members of the US senate and house scolded the State dept for charging US citizens,that is about it. The house has not passed any resolution that i know of. Where did you get your gist from?
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by lukkie(m): 9:22pm On Jul 21, 2006
seun you sound so insensitive. do you think its these people's wish to be caught up in a war zone? if countries could donate millions of dollars to the civilian victims of lebanon, how much less paying their citizen's fare home? try to look at the big picture.
mind you, the $150 was for the trip to Cyprus. they had to pay the normal fare onward to the U.S. and why are the U.K. evacuees for instance not paying same? y are taxes paid for god sake. a country that spent $300b to invade iraq? too bad. i guess congress probably got embarassed by it before ordering it shouldn't be collected. av not seen that story anyway.
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by OldGlory1(m): 9:34pm On Jul 21, 2006
Lukkie

Those US citizens in Lebanon are probably not paying taxes. They government did not send to Lebanon. The US state dept does it best to update citizens of the risks before they travel www.state.gov. When the going gets tough, they Embassies and State dept help secure citizens and evacuate them. If it cost $1000, i think they should pay. It is not like they are told to pay before they leave, the are told to pay "WHEN THEY CAN".
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by krazysage(m): 9:48pm On Jul 21, 2006
The american government has a very bad history when it comes to evacuating people [katrina]. it is a countries duty to protect its citizens irrespective of were they are. You cannot blame those caught in the war. imagine coming to nigeria to see your family and a war breaks out because of the election.
if other smaller countries are doing it for free why should the US charge?
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by lukkie(m): 9:58pm On Jul 21, 2006
u cant say they dont pay taxes, and ur govt doesn't have 2 send you somewhere to be responsible for you. do u know they include american tourists for instance. or people who are just visiting for a few days/weeks? or people who live like half of the year in the U.S. and the other in Lebanon. once you're an american citizen, then they're ways of "paying your dues" so to speak. and citizenship doesn't expire, no matter where you live. am also not saying these people are so poor not to be able 2 pay. but am just reasoning along the same lines as those congressmen. i also know they're not paying immediately.

some people are arguing that it's got to do with the fact that most of those people are not pure americans. u know many are like americans by marriage etc. it's beginning to make sense to me. u know U.S. was about the last 1st world country to evacuate.
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by Seun(m): 9:59pm On Jul 21, 2006
seun you sound so insensitive.
They are only being required to issue I owe you notes. They aren't being left behind or paying upfront.

What about those being left behind because they are not Americans? Are they dogs? Are they not human beings too? So why are "sensitive" people like you not asking for them to be evacuated too? So this is not about sensitivity!

It's about responsibility. The US government has classified those areas as danger zones, yet some people believe that they need to be there. If an emergency arises then those people should be willing to pay. Simple responsibility.
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by lukkie(m): 10:10pm On Jul 21, 2006
@krazysage u're feeling me!

@seun while individuals are free to reason the way u're doing, states don't think like that. the state is responsible for the smart citizens as well as the "stupid" ones. yes! prior to last wednesday, lebanon was not a danger zone. if that is the case then U.S. citizens shouldnt travel out of the country @ all then. its like saying "why were you in new orleans when u know it's prone to flooding as a result of a possible hurricane?"
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by OldGlory1(m): 10:12pm On Jul 21, 2006
@Seun

You are absolutely right.

@Krazysage

There is a difference between a "Natural Disaster" Katrina, and a "War Zone" . No American has died in Lebanon yet, and many are still not evacuating. It is a choice, not by force.

@Lukkie

The Government through the State debt continuously warns citizens about the dangers in the Middle east, and yet people CHOOSE to go there. Out of the estimated 25,000 Americans in Lebanon, only about 10,000 have asked to be evacuated. Again it is a choice. You have US marines risking their lives to rescue civilians inside Lebanon, the US navy has warships scrambling from the Indian Ocean, what more do you want the government to do? The US government is doing it's duty and has executed it well. The state dept is being praised by the evacuees. I am not sure what the criticism is for? The $150 is a token amount and i would pay gladly. All citizens are being taken care of. There is no racial bias, If you show your passport, you are eligible.
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by naijarikan(m): 4:35pm On Jul 22, 2006
Old Glory:

Naijarikan

You got your info from where? Some members of the US senate and house scolded the State debt for charging US citizens,that is about it. The house has not passed any resolution that i know of. Where did you get your gist from?

I believe I heard this on CSPAN but it might well be the 'scolding' session you mentioned.  And yes there has not been a resolution yet, but as you know we are in an election year coupled with the embarrassment this has caused the US I am certain the gov won't be sending those invoices to its citizens.  wink

Seun:

They are only being required to issue I owe you notes. They aren't being left behind or paying upfront.

What about those being left behind because they are not Americans? Are they dogs? Are they not human beings too? So why are "sensitive" people like you not asking for them to be evacuated too? So this is not about sensitivity!

It's about responsibility. The US government has classified those areas as danger zones, yet some people believe that they need to be there. If an emergency arises then those people should be willing to pay. Simple responsibility.

Not all evacuees are vacationers.  After the Israeli withdrawal from southern Lebanon in 2000, the state department has actually increased its staff in Lebanon.  There are also many American news organization employees working and living in the affected area.  So are you saying that it's OK for those who are visiting their families to pay while gov workers should get a free ride?

The law regarding American citizens needing assistance to return home be it in a hostile environment or otherwise is obsolete and ought to be revised and the moment has arrived.  I remember a few years ago when the son of our neighbor in Lagos came to visit from America (he is a US citizen).  This guy bought a one-way ticket coming to Naija and after about three months in Lagos he ran out of money but it was also time to go back.  Unable to secure funds from family and friends, he simply walked into the US embassy in Lagos and lamented his situation.  The embassy quickly procured him a ticket and some spending money and asked him to sign a promisory note.  It is this type of situation that the law was intended to address and not for emergency situation that we are seeing in the Middle East.
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by lukkie(m): 5:37pm On Jul 22, 2006
@naijarikan
well said! av always known seun for wanting to be more capitalist than the capitalists. grin grin grin
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by LoverBwoy(m): 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2006

then u said
It's about responsibility.

they are being response for their people wink
Re: U.S. Charges Its Citizens $150 To Be Evacuated From War Zone! by rania: 12:18am On Jan 09, 2010
if they are evacuating their own people they should do it because they care about their citizens not for money.

(1) (Reply)

Schengen Visa / Demeji Bankole Offloaded From London Bound Flight / Study In Austria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.