Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,099 members, 7,807,297 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance (31867 Views)

Breaking!! Six More Health Workers Infected With EBOLA!! / Nigerian Doctor Who Treated Victim Infected With Ebola / US Evacuating Two Americans Sick With Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by royalsweetness(f): 5:27pm On Aug 08, 2014
ollah1: Furthermore, the family of the nurse that passed out lately are on the run. ON THE RUN!. where are they running to? Infecting other innocent civilians. Hmm! Watching closely!
If its you won't you run? Being quarantined by Nigerian government would be equivalent to putting every contact person together to infect themselves and die together
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by fosta(m): 5:29pm On Aug 08, 2014
Also every sickness, and every plague, which we we have no cure , them will the Lord bring upon thee, until thou be destroyed. And ye shall be left few in number, whereas ye were as the stars of heaven for multitude; because thou wouldest not obey the voice of the Lord thy God. please let repent and call a solemn assembly. God will have mercy and cure will come.
JESUS IS LORD.
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 08, 2014
obayaya:

The things just tire me!!!

I woke up with a feverish feeling this morning and here I am second guessing myself if I have Ebola embarassed angry

When it could be malaria knocking cry
mehn! That thing scares the shiit outta me grin
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nonybb: 5:46pm On Aug 08, 2014
Nonybb: Ebola Patients would start getting cure when White Elites in UK, US, Australia, Canada and India got infected. For now its an African Disease and Pharmaceutical Companies wouldnt profit from the Drug until there is a large lethal cases available, then the Drug would sell considerably. For now Africa is a Case study to taste its scourge level and then Capitalist would lobby WHO to assist them. The Capitalist are in corroboration with Pharmaceutical Companies. Billions would be made from the Deal and Zmapp would be available. By then it would be cheap, not because the Capitalist have subsidize it out of generosity, but because it had Profited huge billions from WHO deal it had with it. The world is a capitalist nation
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by coachwilcox(m): 5:47pm On Aug 08, 2014
The US Department of Defense (DoD) funded an Ebola trial on humans which started just weeks before the Ebola outbreak in Guinea and Sierra Leone, it has emerged.

http://www.drugs.com/clinical_trials/tekmira-doses-first-subject-human-clinical-trial-tkm-ebola-16415.html

The DoD gave a contract worth $140 million dollars to Tekmira, a Canadian pharmaceutical company, to conduct Ebola research, which apparently involved injecting and infusing healthy humans with the deadly Ebola virus
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Tex42(m): 5:53pm On Aug 08, 2014
we've survived worst,why can't we survive bad.God be with us,we'll pull tru diz western disease.
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
Titiluvly: Na wa o! angry
ife mii, uv abandon me ko na like dis we go de dey? cool
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
royalsweetness:
If its you won't you run? Being quarantined by Nigerian government would be equivalent to putting every contact person together to infect themselves and die together

Why? What for? You know too well the disease will further transmit to other people. It could affect your friends and families. Won't u rather stay and die alone than be on the run and kill people you love?

1 Like

Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by bidexmat(m): 6:15pm On Aug 08, 2014
obayaya:

They do know what quarantine is!!! I guess they were trying to be lenient with the suspected cases.

That was a huge mistake.
at the detriment of over a hundred and fifty million nigerians? Lenient? Hmmmmm.... N so it started counting like 1..2.3..5....8....27...n nw It's 139....hu knws wat's nxt? Common sense ain't common after all. We've known them to be notchalant not 2dai. I'd knwn about the seriousness of ebola virus 16 months prior to the sudden outbreak and they said they were taken unawares. Isiokay!!!
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 08, 2014
Malakh: I told one dumb nairalander (all4naija) that WHO is an accomplice and partners in crime with them, the guy just dey foam for mouth...Redcross inclusive...maybe if they understood what red and cross symbolizes then their eyes might be opened
I feel sorry for you. Did you even make sense of the nonsense the guy spew out in that post? You are a primitive and uneducated person. Go f**k yourself!

1 Like

Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 08, 2014
Arosa: surveillance is useless quarantine all 139 peeps. shikena! angry angry angry
if you put all 139 people somewhere...you gotta seperate them, cos not all of them are down with it. What if its just 2 out of the 139, and then you packed them all together in Isolation...they end up infecting the 137 others. These are people like you and i who have families...can you even imagine how you would feel if you were one of the people LASG is surveilling now and the potential that your life expectancy is just 1 month left...You see why one could be crazy enough to jump on a plane and run away from Liberia now hmmn...instead of staying put like a condemned chicken
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 08, 2014
coachwilcox: The US Department of Defense (DoD) funded an Ebola trial on humans which started just weeks before the Ebola outbreak in Guinea and Sierra Leone, it has emerged.

http://www.drugs.com/clinical_trials/tekmira-doses-first-subject-human-clinical-trial-tkm-ebola-16415.html

The DoD gave a contract worth $140 million dollars to Tekmira, a Canadian pharmaceutical company, to conduct Ebola research, which apparently involved injecting and infusing healthy humans with the deadly Ebola virus

The test in question was for a potential vaccine for the Ebola virus...and it was Phase 1. The drug had shown promise in animal trials...

[b]Earlier preclinical studies were published in the medical journal The Lancet and demonstrated that when siRNA targeting the Ebola virus and delivered by Tekmira's LNP technology were used to treat previously infected non-human primates, the result was 100 percent protection from an otherwise lethal dose of Zaire Ebola virus (Geisbert et al., The Lancet, Vol 375, May 29, 2010). [/b]Tekmira's productive collaboration with the JPM-MCS was modified and expanded in 2013 to include significant advances in LNP formulation technology since the initiation of the program in 2010.

And note that informed consent was obtained....which means that the subjects were informed before hand...(Study was done in the US by the way....not Africa).

The TKM-Ebola Phase I clinical trial is a randomized, single-blind, placebo-controlled study involving single ascending doses and multiple ascending doses of TKM-Ebola. [b]The study will assess the safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetics of administering TKM-Ebola to healthy adult subjects. [/b]Four subjects will be enrolled per cohort. There are four planned cohorts for a total of 16 subjects in the single dose arm, and three planned cohorts for a total of 12 subjects in the multiple dose arm of the trial. Each cohort will enroll three subjects who receive TKM-Ebola, and one who will receive placebo.

And here is news on the latest progress on the trials of the Tekmira vaccine...

In contrast, at least two other companies have products that have already been subject to Phase 1 safety trials. Most widely publicized has been TKM-Ebola, a lipid nanoparticle, RNA-interference drug being developed by Vancouver-based, Tekmira Pharmaceuticals, together with a division of the Department of Defense.

Single-dose and multiple ascending dose studies have been progressing and the company announced on July 21 that the FDA was placing a hold on the trials as they conducted an interim analysis of the drug’s safety profile.

However, Tekmira just announced today that the FDA verbally confirmed the modification of the trials’ status to a “partial hold,” thereby allowing the drug to be used in people infected with Ebola.

“We are pleased that the FDA has considered the risk-reward of TKM-Ebola for infected patients. We have been closely watching the Ebola virus outbreak and its consequences, and we are willing to assist with any responsible use of TKM-Ebola. The foresight shown by the FDA removes one potential roadblock to doing so,” said Dr. Mark Murray, CEO and President, Tekmira Pharmaceuticals. “This current outbreak underscores the critical need for effective therapeutic agents to treat the Ebola virus. We recognize the heightened urgency of this situation, and are carefully evaluating options for use of our investigational drug within accepted clinical and regulatory protocols.”

The Tekmira drug targets three of the seven genes of the Ebola virus. (Yes, the deadly Ebolavirus wreaks its havoc with only seven proteins. In comparison, we humans have just under 20,000.)

So, the drug shows great promise. Indeed....great days ahead in the search for a cure for Ebola.

Sources: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkroll/2014/08/07/fda-moves-on-tekmiras-ebola-drug-while-sareptas-sits-unused/

http://www.businessinsider.com/ebola-drug-company-tekmira-2014-8

Scientific paper: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2810%2960357-1/abstract

2 Likes

Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Arosa(m): 6:30pm On Aug 08, 2014
gmyguy: if you put all 139 people somewhere...you gotta seperate them, cos not all of them are down with it. What if its just 2 out of the 139, and then you packed them all together in Isolation...they end up infecting the 137 others. These are people like you and i who have families...can you even imagine how you would feel if you were one of the people LASG is surveilling now and the potential that your life expectancy is just 1 month left...You see why one could be crazy enough to jump on a plane and run away from Liberia now hmmn...instead of staying put like a condemned chicken

I understand your concern, but like you said they gatta be separated even in quarantine, sick peeps should be isolated from healthy one.
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 08, 2014
Nonybb: Ebola Patient would start getting cure when White Elites in UK, US, Australia, Canada and India got infected. For now its an African Disease and Pharmaceutical Companies wouldnt profit from the Drug until there is a large lethal cases available, then the Drug would sell considerably. For now Africa is a Case study to taste its scourge level and then Capitalist would lobby WHO to assist them. The Capitalist are in corroboration with Pharmaceutical Companies. Billions would be made from the Deal and Zmapp would be available. By then it would be cheap, not because the Capitalist have subsidize it out of generosity, but because it had Profited huge billions from WHO deal it had with it. The world is a capitalist nation
since when did India become a white man country

1 Like

Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Hassanjj(m): 6:38pm On Aug 08, 2014
EBOLA HAND

Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 08, 2014
Tizak:
Sweetheart, I will not bring myself down to the level of insulting you to get my points across.

This is not an issue of laziness, but of problem solving. The whites only have the solutions because they have been working with Ebola for a while. Also, they have better trained and experienced staff to handle such a dangerous and monumental disease. Do you think any indigenous company will not have started selling vaccines if they had it? At the moment, we are incapable of helping ourselves, so we must get our help from elsewhere.

That's one way of looking at it. Another is this: if the situation was reversed and we were hoarding the cure for profit reasons, do you think there will even be a discussion about the correctness or otherwise of my suggestion? The CIA would have long done the same.

You may not like the method, but when push comes to shove, you have to do what's best for your people.

Cheers.
Sweetheart? Lwkmd. Rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 08, 2014
We are paying the price for not developing a standard health system. Everything else is commentary.
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 08, 2014
fellis: Sweetheart? Lwkmd. Rubbish.
Yes. You are my one and only sweetheart. kiss

This erm... property is not for sale. Beware of 419 angry angry angry
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Litmus: 7:14pm On Aug 08, 2014
Herodion: If you Nairaland mods do not have any good news to publish, then shut up. We are tired of all this Ebola rubbish. We only need precautionary measures. All this news about Ebola death should reduce. Typical Nigerian mentality of overdoing things.

One of my fears...

from now on anything that moves will be Ebola and we have not even started politicking it yet...Buhari, Johnathan, PDP, APC, flat headed Igbo's, Yereba, and on and on....

By the time we're done, we'd have helped others place ourselves squarely as the epicenter of this disease.
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by subsurface: 7:27pm On Aug 08, 2014
na now i truly knw dat nigerians can fear

lol
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by JEITO: 7:52pm On Aug 08, 2014
Keep calm my people!

We have been down this road before....

#castyourmindback#birdflu#sars#lassafever

We made it through, we will make it through this also

#SameGOD cool

1 Like

Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by IGBOSON1: 7:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
ollah1: Furthermore, the family of the nurse that passed out lately are on the run. ON THE RUN!. where are they running to? Infecting other innocent civilians. Hmm! Watching closely!

^^^You would have thought them having a nurse as a wife/mother would sufficiently equip and enlighten them that the best course of action would be to report to the federal/state ministry of health to be quarantined!
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by alingo4life: 8:00pm On Aug 08, 2014
luckygirl02:
For your Info, there are so many Ibpoly students here

Good..I just sent yoy a PM..Lets hook up..Wanna know more Ib peeps on here..Thanks
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by millhouse: 8:14pm On Aug 08, 2014
Yea in sambisa

seunlayi: Wait, am I still in Nigeria?
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by jamesbridget13(f): 8:25pm On Aug 08, 2014
but where on earth dem wan run go? Ministry of health suppose do d needful since na. Na wa ooo

1 Like

Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 08, 2014
Arosa:

I understand your concern, but like you said they gatta be separated even in quarantine, sick peeps should be isolated from healthy one.
Do you think LASG has the facility for this...and then the secondary contacts of the 139 and so on. You might even have to isolate the people doing the contact tracing!!!
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 08, 2014
sameer1212: ife mii, uv abandon me ko na like dis we go de dey? cool
na u 4get me o...lol...swty how u doin? Its bin a while..
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Onyiido: 9:05pm On Aug 08, 2014
Arosa: surveillance is useless quarantine all 139 peeps. shikena! angry angry angry
They're actually trying to tell us that 139 people have the ebola virus. grin
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Arosa(m): 9:07pm On Aug 08, 2014
gmyguy: Do you think LASG has the facility for this...and then the secondary contacts of the 139 and so on. You might even have to isolate the people doing the contact tracing!!!

If done early enough the secondary contacts of the 139 persons is a none issue cos they can only spread the disease when they fall sick. Like I said earlier quarantine is just a control measure. As for LASG not having the facility for this, I suggest they should make a makeshift one. they can convert an old stadium into one with multiple tent inside. The most important thing is that security personal are on post to prevent peeps from escaping, like the Patrick Sawyer dude. And sure you can also isolate the tracers too.

And Please let me add, I'm not an expert in matters of this nature, it's just common sense. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by tochyano(m): 9:28pm On Aug 08, 2014
Debroslink: Bathe them with salt and water naa. Sebi they said salt and hot water will do the trick? Imagine... Comparing virus with earthworm. I pity this country.
but it resemble earth worm microscopically speaking.
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by toploo: 10:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
[quote author=Herodion]If you Nairaland mods do not have any good news to publish, then shut up. We are tired of all this Ebola rubbish. We only need precautionary measures. All this news about Ebola death should reduce. Typical Nigerian mentality of overdoing things.

You had better wake up from your sleep and face reality. For ur information d news u call overdo is even an understatement.
Re: Two More Nigerians Confirmed With Ebola, 139 On Surveillance by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 08, 2014
Nigerian government needs to involved many developed nations scientists in this. All our virologists mys be given emergency laboratories to carried out their research, test and find a better solution than wait for people to die helplessly in isolated rooms. Jeez! What is wrong with our leaders, professionals and the people. We are helping to really fight this problem of Ebola.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians, Prepare For More Hot Days & Warm Nights - NIMET Warns, Lists Way Out / Craziest Thing That Happened To You Or You Have Witnessed In A Hospital / Monkey Pox Hits Lagos, 2 Suspected Cases Recorded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.