Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? (11083 Views)

Are Ijebu And Abeoukuta Ladies Really That Bad?? / The Tribes Of Nigeria Are Fake. / Does Our Dreesing Tell Who We Really Re? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by vikel2104: 12:25am On Aug 09, 2014
Much as I have a lot of things that I dislike about Nigeria, I do not agree with the common notion that it is the worst country on earth. Many persons would want to stone me at this point because there are obvious and glaring reasons why we should curse the country.
Is it epileptic power supply (even the unborn child already knows how to say NEPA from the constant use of the word by his pregnant mother) or is it the high unemployment rate or the poverty amidst abundant resources or the rampant corruption? There are a plethora of reasons to hate being Nigerian.
But the question is, are we really the worst nation on the planet as we are made to believe?

My intention is not to try to paint black white or to make us comfortable with our problems.

But for us to face our problems we have to define them correctly so that we don’t get consumed by the thought that our problems are out of this world and hence the only thing we can do is to run away from or live with them with the mentality of fatalism.

It is not all woes for Nigeria. Despite our challenges we have been able compete to a great extent with other nations. We have musicians who are well known beyond the shores of our land, we have vibrant businesses, and hardworking people. Time will not permit me to mention other things but for those who look out for the good about Nigeria, you will find many things for which to be proud of.
I believe every country has her own challenges and I also believe that for every major success in life, there is always a time of crisis. A crisis that will test your resolve on the path you've chosen. Nigeria is passing through such times and it is indeed very unpleasant. But one step at a time, we shall get there. This is not just blind patriotism! It is believing in a prospect that is certain.

This is not the time to compare ourselves with others. It is time for us to build a country that we will all be proud of. We can look to other countries who are ahead of us and borrow a thing or two that will help us on our nation building journey. But let us not fall into the temptation of comparison for such breeds despair when we see how far we have to go to meet up. Let us rather build a nation that we can sell to the world and be proud of any time.

What will really make us the worst country on earth is not our present bad circumstances but our lack of will to stand up and make things right - to keep on fighting for a better tomorrow. A sick man who believes he is dead while still alive is bound to die very soon. Let us not condemn ourselves while there is still much hope and let us not close our eyes to hope when there is indeed one. If we work towards it, we will achieve it. It is not time to resign ourselves to fate. Let us not magnify our problems beyond proportion such that we dread tackling them.

We are known as resilient people. Rather than using our resilience as a pill for "suffering and smiling" let us use it to build this country to the height we desire. God Bless Nigeria.

©Vikel2104

Say your opinion on this.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Infomizer(m): 12:50am On Aug 09, 2014
This won't be the first (or last) of such write ups. Will people please start doing something? As in, do! Very few 9jerians read, and even fewer put what they read into practice. So just do something, and if you've already started, do more!

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Nobody: 12:59am On Aug 09, 2014
The rot has been built over the time and although kudos must be given to the present government for trying to steer the ship on the right course but i still believe they can do better. And when you look up and think who can do better than this government all you see are retired, tested and trusted crooks, thieves and ex generals waiting to devour and plunder the country more.

A certain region said they are born to rule and if they do not rule there would be chaos. That region produces nothing and if truth must be told that region should bear the brunt for Nigeria's under development! That region has produced more presidents than the other parts of the nation combined and all they do is just increase the population of Nigeria and not the wealth.

I would advise you that in as much as you love Nigeria and we love Nigeria, please note that Nigeria is not worth dying for, you would die in vain! And yes Nigeria is not the worst country on earth but it is one of the worst because in comparison with countries which are ranked worse off than Nigeria they have reasons to be there, either they are war-torn countries or extremely poor countries. Nigeria is not war-torn and we are not a poor nation yet we are there in the midst of those nations!

26 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by vikel2104: 1:14pm On Aug 09, 2014
^^Like I acknowledged earlier, our problems are evident and glaring and could even make one go mad with rage. But you know, everyone cannot run away. Even if one runs away, Nigeria is still the person's root. It therefore lies on us to try to pick ourselves up from this state and see what good we can achieve. Yes, there is still some good that can come out of us. Since our problems were created by us, then all we need to do is figure out where we got it wrong and start from there. We finally become failures if we stop trying to succeed.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by BigBashiru: 8:42pm On Aug 09, 2014
look what happens when you try to help them: https://www.nairaland.com/1850225/nigerians-stop-blaming-government-own

even the people do not want change for the better. egotistical scumbags!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by hydeka: 4:05am On Aug 11, 2014
There is a fundamental flaw in our value system. We are quick to say that our leaders are bad but we forget that they were not imported from elsewhere, they are from among us. If we want to change the country, we have to start with ourselves. The average worker goes to work late, the public office worker won't do his job unless you apply some grease (bribe), parents encourage their kids to cheat in exams, business owners only employ family members, etc and yet all these people are quick to point accusing fingers at the government.

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by vikel2104: 12:12am On Aug 12, 2014
I need more reactions on this.
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Osama10(m): 12:13am On Aug 12, 2014
This country can only get worse. angry
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by vikel2104: 3:49am On Aug 15, 2014
Expecting diverse and opposing opinions on this thread. Keep 'em coming! Please be civil in expressing your opinion.
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by btoks: 11:01pm On Aug 15, 2014
If we the people could change our attitude and mentality then everything will change for the better. We can’t keep waiting for Government. The level of dishonesty in Nigeria is just mindboggling, from the market person to public service officials. If we could only be honest and not hypocrites! But will people do this. Developed Nations whether religious or not have been able to develop due to a high level of integrity from the people. This cuts into every sphere of the society.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Stillfire: 11:59pm On Aug 15, 2014
As long as we continue to have the calibre of people at the helm of affairs, Nigeria is totally beyond repair and it can only go from bad to worse to worst.
I unashamedly have a fatalist mentality, proudly and terribly not optimistic. And I believe with all my heart more Nigerians NEED to adopt this mentality.
Our parents did the optimistic route, so no thanks. Optimism has a way of making the Nigerian rely on some magic or supernatural force to solve the glaring problems in the society. Optimism has encouraged a dire laziness in the Nigerian, where she relies on fate, destiny, magic to egg on in life.
Nigeria needs a do or die approach, a now or never disposition and not a hope that everything is going to be alright.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by vikel2104: 4:38am On Aug 16, 2014
^^Having a fatalistic mindset and advocating for change don't go together. A fatalistic mindset believes that things are determined by fate and there is nothing anyone can do to change them.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Nobody: 5:06am On Aug 16, 2014
My takeout from the article- 'What will really make us the worst country on earth is not our present bad circumstances but our lack of will to stand up and make things right - to keep on fighting for a better tomorrow.'

I believe in a better Nigeria i will be proud of before my last breath.

God bless our beloved Nigeria
God bless Nairaland
God bless the OP

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by bunmioguns(m): 5:06am On Aug 16, 2014
I still believe that Nigeria will be better one day...

Zooming to..
www.nairaland.com/1852534/mtn-data-cheapest-rate.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by ednut1(m): 5:07am On Aug 16, 2014
yes
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by ghostofsparta(m): 5:08am On Aug 16, 2014
The problem we have in Nigeria is not tribalism as everyone erroneously tend to believe but TRIBAL DISCRIMINATION which all our problems seems to be shaped from, everyone keep mentioning "tribalistic" and "tribalism" as a bad thing when in fact every tribal containing nations/countries of the world are tribalistic! To be tribalistic is to acknowledge the existence of ones own tribe by identifying with its culture and customs through bearing of an indigenous name, greeting styles, dressing code, food peculiarity, dance types etc just as we have the Scottish tribe in Scotland who wear what may seem hilarious to some Nigerians as a woman skirt, but it's their culture just as the Chinese use chop stick to eat and the Japanese wears their Wafuku among which is the popular 'Kimono', it's all tribalistic as the Yorubas can be identified tribally to their native apparel such as the abeti-aja cap and the Ankara, Agbada, Adire amongst other several indigenous attire peculiar to other tribal societies throughout the world.

As a matter of the fact, the central figures in the Abrahamic religions of Christianity and Islam; Jesus and Mohammed clearly acknowledged and identified with their respective tribes, Mohammed who is from the Quraysh tribe and Jesus of Judah tribe, both of which belong to the Semitic race. It unbecoming to hear many Nigerians who get lots of things twisted, things they don't bother to really understand as soon as it is reigning aloud, and it is what eats at us amongst other. An Bendel Christian convert may in one instance quote "...sent to the 12 tribes of Judah" wherin some Bible replaced the tribes with "lost" while in another instance castigate an Igbo man as been tribalistic for chirping "Igbo Kwenu", it may be unknown to a Yoruba who bears Gbenga and enjoys eating Amala/Gbegiri that he's been tribalistic and yet shouts down on anyone attempting to portray a unique feature of where he/she hails from. These and several of reaction stems from the unfortunate forceful union otherwise known as the Amalgamated Ethnicities of Nigeria where it has been anti-tribal exhibition, Nigeria as an entity has always downplayed the glorification of its various tribes in elevation of a false sense of patriotism sustained by the the dissemination of the same "tribalism" that Zik said should be "A Pragmatic Instrument for National Unity" as a frightful disintegrator. We have the Gaulish tribes in France, infact Europeans are proudly tribalistic in numerous ways, for instance note the 'land' in Scotland, Ireland, Deutschland, England, Netherlands, Finland etc, they are all to indicate this lands belongs to some particular tribes. How many of Nigerian youths who are addicted to Europeans football, specifically the EPL/Barclay realizes those clubs, well may technically be representing their respective cities/towns but are actually representing their ancient tribes, even the tribalistic Romans despite their conquest of Britania in 43 A.D. did acknowledged all the tribes of the Celtic ethnic inhabitants by making records of the distinctive tribes they met there in then Britania. Ever since, in England till tomorrow, their country's military institutions forever still acknowledges various of these tribes in respect to the Manchester Brigade, Liverpool Battalion etc in order to express gratitude for those respective tribe to have given their member to the service of the nation, various of their tribe are also acknowledge, distinguished and identified through their emblem, insignia, badge, idiosyncrasies, tribal dialectical distinctiveness and the continuous celebration of cultural festivities which they observe not only in England but all over tribal Europe. Check [url]here[/url] to view popular tribes throughout the world.

The Nigerian problem is TRIBAL/ETHNIC DISCRIMINATION which is entirely different from TRIBALISM/TRIBALISTIC as explained above. To be tribally discriminate is to favor one own's tribe in every respect, it is to consider first one's own ethnicity when sworn into a public post, and due to the way Nigeria was forged out of a colonial experiment, that is, the forceful union of incompatible ethnic groups, I am afraid tribal/ethnic discrimination can never stop, unless we either do what is done in countries who have adopted some elements of western form of government and adapted to their traditional native ways of government such as in China and Japan. What I am saying is for everyone to clamor for the so-called and any would-be leader, be it, a minister, commissioner, senator, LCG chairman, governor, president to be made to swear an oath under the presence of 32 different indigenous deities never to embezzle, launder, loot public funds in whatsoever way such that if any means is taken to appease just one of these 32 sworn-over deities, let so, so and so wrath be met upon his family and those who he cherish. This will be done under not under closed doors but in the public such that it will be televised for all to see, and also the priests officiating this incentive conditions are sourced by independent people and not those of their chosen which will definitely be a fake one. This measure will not only allow true leaders to emerge and rule us, but will transform our nation and change our long suffering course and onto a higher ground such that the whole world will be in disbelieve seeing how far we've transformed given such few years. It cost less, it does more. I know some Nigerians know this will work as proven here but are either afraid to admit it or somehow benefit from the status-quo while other Nigerians think it would/may not work given their level of understanding of the ways of our tribal ancestors. Our tribal ancestors governed their lands to a somewhat stable far back beyond period when even the tribal Brits (Celts), Saxons, Angles etc where still living in caves and wearing animal hides. It is either we do this or Nigeria should peacefully de-amalgamate to its respective ethnically owned regions wherein I hope the State would be created and named as per tribe that time around. If any of this two compromise can't be reached, then as Fela sang...."Suffering and smiling". With these few points, I hope I am not only able to convince some Nigerian youths to see reason but allowed to opined that despite the trend of things in this country to which it seems some are fully or quite ready to split off to have their own country, it is ironical that it is the Yorubas that are agitating most for the preservation of one Nigeria and are obviously cementing it together with their blood. Yorubas are approximately 40million in population, and almost are the Igbos, both of which are fit alone to determine their fate in a nation of their creating, go to the Olympics on their common tribal identity and sit at the UN summit like the following country(population) does:
Vatican City 839
Dominica 1,293
Iceland 325,671
Cyprus 838,897
Liechtenstein 37,132
Monaco 36,371
Andorra 78,115
Seychelles 92,000
Iceland 325,671
UAE/Dubai 9,205,651
Estonia 1,315,819
Latvia 1,997,500
Kuwait 3,965,000
Uruguay 3,324,460
Lebanon 4,822,000
Canada 35,427,52
Belgium 11,198,638
Hungary 9,879,000
Poland 38,186,860
Cuba 11,167,325
Greece 10,816,286
Costa-Rica 4,586,353
Switzerland 8,014,000

Celtic native tribes of ancient Britania awaiting their fate from their Roman conquerors in ships, same Brits who gave us Nigeria and re-wrote our history textbooks as our forefathers wore leaves for cover and sold themselves for mirror whereas the Yorubas already developed the jigi amongst other technologies since ancient times no matter how crude.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Nobody: 5:13am On Aug 16, 2014
ANOTHER SUBSTANCELESS BS PATRIOTIC RANT. PLEASE SHOW US WHAT YOU'VE DONE FOR NIGERIA BEFORE WHIPPING UP EMOTIONS ON NAIRALAND. **Walks off thread *
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Nobody: 5:15am On Aug 16, 2014
__
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Nobody: 5:17am On Aug 16, 2014
Story for the gods

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Nobody: 5:19am On Aug 16, 2014
OMG. FPT
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by neuljosh(m): 5:21am On Aug 16, 2014
reading!!
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by 19naia(m): 5:22am On Aug 16, 2014
Repair the machine or heal the wound, it can always happen.. But it will never happen until the thorns in the wound are removed, the bad parts in the engine are replaced and the design model is upgraded with more advanced systems and safety measures with effective monitor sensors reporting every detail that goes askew...
The country has always been working repairs and cures but the removal of the bad parts or wounding thorns has never been a serious focus... Some times people are sacked or imprisoned but thats just to make way for the next of the same or worse..

The truth is ;there is a physical thing going on in earth ecology and it is far more important than Nation and culture and economy.. Life Depends on it and we aren't paying enough attention in the entire world of every nation.. It will be an issue for every nation when it reaches over the limit.. Life will be under so much pressure that worries about nation and culture will fade in the shadows of water and food and air to breathe, just simply to survive even if it is at the level of a primitive creature... There is a price to be paid for the damage we do to the earth as we work hard to amass our dreams for ourselves out of the earths resources and ecosystems... Not a small thing at all, its the most important thing for living...
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by vikel2104: 5:27am On Aug 16, 2014
^well said
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by princeonx: 5:28am On Aug 16, 2014
Patriotic answer: NO

Honest answer which everybody know including op: YES!
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Vacora(m): 5:29am On Aug 16, 2014
Watch this thread or topic descend into a school yard scrap with lots of screaming, ethnocentric abuse and name calling.

@ OP : Nigeria is not beyond repair and there are people trying their best to see us join the ranks of developed countries. I want to see Nigeria prosper and I am very disappointed with those at the helm of our affairs at the moment. We deserve better.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Moblord(m): 5:30am On Aug 16, 2014
I cannot categorically tell you NO now
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Lucasbalo(m): 5:31am On Aug 16, 2014
From my vintage point of view for a guy that left Nigeria in his teenage year and a constant visitor to the country, the number one problem is leadership. That's what is lacking in Nigeria. The people can only get themselves out of this bondage if they are ready for bloody revolution . This so called thieflicians are not ready to do anything positive for the people . Hence , they should be eliminated by any means necessary. If not, the country is perpetually doomed.
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by gameboi: 5:32am On Aug 16, 2014
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Jarchi(m): 5:36am On Aug 16, 2014
We are like her eating more bananas with shame,got the guts to tell the world /mama/ A girl realized that she had grown hair in between her legs.
She got worried and asked her mother about it. Her mother
calmly said, "That part where hair has grown is called
monkey and be proud that your monkey has grown hair."
The girl smiled.
At dinner, the girl told her sister, "My monkey has grown
hair."
Her sister smiled and said, "That's nothing, mine is already
eating bananas!"
Their mother fainted right on the dining table...
Lolssssssssssss

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by gameboi: 5:36am On Aug 16, 2014
Re: Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair? by Iyanusele(m): 5:39am On Aug 16, 2014
Arise O ' compatriots
Nigeria call obey ........, ....... All will need is BEHAVIORAL CHANGE and it begins from ME and YOU.
We all have a Role to Play!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Traditional Igbo Music / The Great Hausa Queen Amina Of Zazzau / Maps Of Kingdoms, Peoples, States, And Cities In Africa Through Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.