Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,743,153 members, 6,507,482 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 September 2021 at 08:56 PM

4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) (936 Views)

You're Criminals,stop Applying For Asylum In UK - Buhari Blasts Nigerians / 105 Dead Soldier Lies. Petrol Tanker Accident In 2008 With Returning Soldiers. / Breaking News Ameachi And His Assembly Men Apply For Asylum From Britain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 18, 2008
4,816 Nigerians applied for asylum in 2008 – UN
By Emeka Madunagu
Published: Saturday, 18 Oct 2008

The United Nations Refugee Agency on Friday said that about 4,816 Nigerians applied for asylum in 44 countries in the first six months of 2008.

The report, which said the statistics were those available as at October 9, 2008, said the applications were made in the 27 member-countries of the European Union as well as the United States, Iceland, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, Norway, Serbia, Switzerland, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea.

With the figure, Nigeria ranked the ninth highest origin country for asylum seekers. Iraq emerged the highest, with 19,500, followed by Russia (9,400); China (8,700); Somalia (7,400); Pakistan (6,300); Afghanistan (6,300); Serbia (6,200); Mexico (5,200); while Iran and Sri Lanka shared the 10th position with 4,600 each.

The report covered the period from 2006 to the second quarter of 2008. It stated that in the first quarter of 2008, the highest number of asylum applications from Nigerians was in Italy (381); Ireland (237); and United Kingdom (245) while in the second quarter, Italy received 582 while Ireland got 248. Overall, from January 2006 to June 2008, the 44 industrialised countries received 18,195 asylum applications from Nigerians.

The UNHCR, however, noted that the statistics reflect the number of asylum seekers “lodging an application for the first time. However, it appears that a significant number of countries included in this report cannot distinguish new asylum applications from reopened or repeat claims in their statistical systems. As a consequence, some of the numbers reported to UNHCR are likely to include repeat applications, and therefore do not necessarily reflect the actual number of new asylum-seekers.”

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2008101814564054
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by blacksta(m): 11:53pm On Oct 18, 2008
Omo wetin make man do I actually thought the number would be greater than that
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by shotster50(m): 9:13pm On Oct 19, 2008
Big deal.
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by OBVIOUS(m): 2:50pm On Oct 22, 2008
With a country soo full of resources, I wonder where they're all running too.

White man will be enjoying our land, us, we will be running away from that same land.

Oma she oo!!!
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by OBVIOUS(m): 2:51pm On Oct 22, 2008
I can't believe any Nigeria is seeking refuge in Italy/Spain, L O L

what a big joke.
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by SkyBlue1: 4:01pm On Oct 22, 2008
OBVIOUS:

White man will be enjoying our land, us, we will be running away from that same land.

Oma she oo!!!
OBVIOUS:

I can't believe any Nigeria is seeking refuge in Italy/Spain, L O L

what a big joke.

? ? ? Nigeria has countless resources that have translated to what exactly? Does one really have to make the list of what Italy with is minute resources has that Nigeria doesn't? A list i am sure you aren't ignorant of. The white men that are apparently enjoying the land, are they earning anywhere close to the ammount that average Nigerians are earning? And are they earning such while also living in Nigeria aswell? Even the German coach that was hired for Nigeria was criticised for spending too much 'holidays' in his homeland while the team he was 'managing' was in Nigeria, LOL. Even if Nigerians sought asylum in Ghana i won't be surprised. Nigeria seems to have earned that position
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by ayomifull(f): 5:04pm On Oct 22, 2008
Below link is one of the reasons why Nigerians will continue to seek 'assylum' in countries that has govt that values human lives:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-185748.0.html
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by OBVIOUS(m): 5:31pm On Oct 22, 2008
Does one really have to make the list of what Italy with is minute resources has that Nigeria doesn't?

Italy houses a lot of Nigerian prostitutes.
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by SkyBlue1: 5:34pm On Oct 22, 2008
OBVIOUS:

Italy houses a lot of Nigerian prostitutes.

? ? ? Sorry, don't get the point you are trying to make. Italy houses a lot of Nigerian prostitutes and that makes it worse than Nigeria?
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by naijaking1: 7:12pm On Oct 22, 2008
OBVIOUS:

Oma she oo!!!
White man, who's talking about the white man when we have Hausa/Fulani people doing worse than the white man ever did to us. I am sure %99.99999 of these asylum seekers are from the southern part of Nigeria, because they have been denied everything from basic education, to employment, to security, and to having a say in government.
Diaspora grin
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by OBVIOUS(m): 2:27pm On Oct 23, 2008
Sky Blue:

? ? ? Sorry, don't get the point you are trying to make. Italy houses a lot of Nigerian prostitutes and that makes it worse than Nigeria?

Yes it makes me wonder why any Nigerian would want to go to Italy in the first place if the only job most can do there is ashewo work.
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by OBVIOUS(m): 2:33pm On Oct 23, 2008
naijaking1:

White man, who's talking about the white man when we have Hausa/Fulani people doing worse than the white man ever did to us. I am sure %99.99999 of these asylum seekers are from the southern part of Nigeria, because they have been denied everything from basic education, to employment, to security, and to having a say in government.
Diaspora grin

Well I sorta agree. The Hausa/Fulani people are doing the same to thier own people as well. In the North there is hardly any middle class. In fact, the North section of Nigeria, contains th most uneducated people. In the North, you are either extremely rich or poor. No in betweens, at least in the South and East, there are some middle class folks. I understand why people leave Nigeria to other countries. Peace of mind, and many other factors. I just don't understand how foreigners enjoy Nigeria more than Nigerians themselves. This still baffles me. The lebanese, the arabs, the chinese, and all those people making many deals and contracts, millions of dollars, from the same Nigeria we are all running away from.
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by chidichris(m): 11:48am On Oct 24, 2008
the number shld be higher than that. even me am seeking assylum in abidjan now.
what a shame? it sounds like a story but a trip to some of the african countries will make u believe that our rulers will not die better death.
nigerians suffering in the streets of poorer countries and doing odd jobs in countries that are suposed to be 10 times poorer than nigeria.
if slave trade comes back to nigeria today, i will be the first to jump into the slave ships because it is now obvious that slaves in the usa and other civilised countries are better than free citizens in nigeria.
shame to our rulers. no wonder they have to import a lot of armunitions into the country just to win elections.
Re: 4.816 Nigerians Applied For Asylum In 2008 (un) by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On Oct 24, 2008
Abegi!!! Dem go die, get better burial put, while we continue making vain wishes!!

(1) (Reply)

All Nigerians Are Corrupt, Is This A Government Problem Alone? / Why Women Shouldnt Be In The Army / Senators: We Are Embarrassed By Adeniran's Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.