Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,890 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:59 AM

Africa, Why The Double Standard? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africa, Why The Double Standard? (751 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Africa, Why The Double Standard? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Aug 09, 2014
In our very own Africa, it is not uncommon to see a man in his sixties - seventies marrying a woman of no more than thirty-five years.
This is a woman he was probably already thirty-four years old before she was concieved.

Awful,right?

This happening is not restricted to a particular area of Africa only. It exist in virtually all the cultures of Africa - from the Berbers of the Algerian clime to the Negros of the Niger area; they are all into it and why the society thinks nothing is wrong with it can best be said to be a question for the gods.

But in the same Africa, marrying a woman who is even just a year older is seen as an abberation to a popularly held convention - a taboo of sort. Though, there are minor and almost insignificant exception in the union of certain celebrities due to their societal status, yet, they are not totally immune to the condemnation that comes with the seeming abnomality. Their family members most times find the pill too bitter to swallow.

Now, my question is : Why the double standard, if we think it aint right for a man to marry an older woman, what justification have we for the men marrying far younger womens , with some even going as far as wedding child brides?
Why berrate a man for choosing to swim with who he wills?
Re: Africa, Why The Double Standard? by anonymous6(f): 4:16pm On Aug 10, 2014
blizard44: In our very own Africa, it is not uncommon to see a man in his sixties - seventies marrying a woman of no more than thirty-five years.
This is a woman he was probably already thirty-four years old before she was concieved.

Awful,right?

This happening is not restricted to a particular area of Africa only. It exist in virtually all the cultures of Africa - from the Berbers of the Algerian clime to the Negros of the Niger area; they are all into it and why the society thinks nothing is wrong with it can best be said to be a question for the gods.

But in the same Africa, marrying a woman who is even just a year older is seen as an abberation to a popularly held convention - a taboo of sort. Though, there are minor and almost insignificant exception in the union of certain celebrities due to their societal status, yet, they are not totally immune to the condemnation that comes with the seeming abnomality. Their family members most times find the pill too bitter to swallow.

Now, my question is : Why the double standard, if we think it aint right for a man to marry an older woman, what justification have we for the men marrying far younger womens , with some even going as far as wedding child brides?
Why berrate a man for choosing to swim with who he wills?

I think it's beacuse in general Africa is patriachal(the exception Ghana) from the ancient times till now, so they have a upper hand in having thier way. Also I think medical is involved, men can have a child till the day they die but for a woman 99% of the time once they reach their mid 40's having children is not easy, by the time their in their 50's it's a wrap. I think those are two reasons that has contributed to the double standard. However I must add I don't agree with the system entirely, I have seen couples where the woman is two years older then her husband and they are happy and I have seen some couples on TV or media of Nigeria or other african countries, where a 60-70 year old man is marrying a female in her early 20's or younger, and at times it's nasty but these females are adults and have a right to chose what they want(some don't get to chose though, especially if it's arranged, another topic I guess). I think the double standard will continue in Africa for a long time cause of the position they have put african women in the first place. To me personally though I don't agree with elderly people(female or male; even though you rarily see elder women doing that) going out with young people that are the ages of their grandchildren.

1 Like

Re: Africa, Why The Double Standard? by kingston277(m): 5:17pm On Aug 11, 2014
Not sure why the Op is restricting such a worldwide view to only Africa. Colonial mind demonizing anything African I guess.
The previous poster said it best.

(1) (Reply)

16 Normal Greetings In Other Countries Which Seem Odd / Photos: Emir Of Kano Acquires Rolls Royce Phantom / Benin, Not Yoruba Are Original Owners Of Lagos - Ajayi Bembe Chief Layi Ajayi-be

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.