Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland (27565 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Does Any One Knows Why twins Were Killed In Igboland / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by obitobe: 4:03pm On Aug 11, 2014
nikkyyoyo: you see! That's imo tradition, we anambrans don't do such atall.
well i would not say that because i am not marrying an Anambra lady.
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 11, 2014
The most sincere post..
meforyou1: Bros, for intro, u can just go with friends. For d rites, I advice u to pay cash. Because when they give u list and u buy everything, on that day, they will still either say u omitted somethings or they did and u will still pay cash. Even when u pay cash, that day they will increase it saying inflation this and that.
During mine, my thieving inlaws in ogbaru anambra state told me max 120k. On that day when they found out where I work, they increased it to 250k there and then.
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by noel76(m): 4:09pm On Aug 11, 2014
@ polymatic since u said d place is very far from uu and being ur 1st tyme ii will suggest uu go wit an uncle and a freind or 2 , communicate wit ur girls family of ur cuming and intent (they shud get all d list ready) hav money readily available. Wen uu get uu shud b close 2 1 member of d girls family b4 den who will always help Uu to negotiate d various prices.get d list agree on a monetized value of all d listed items pay for them, go and fix ur introductn and marriage 4 same day due to distance factor. Chikena and good luck
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by chinelo5: 4:31pm On Aug 11, 2014
Marriage in any culture depends on several factors; the lady herself, the lady's immediate & sometimes extended family, the village,the state of origin etc.
when my husband came for "iku aka" i.e "knocking on the door"(introduction), it was a very relaxed atmosphere. I made all enquiries and confirmed everything myself by speaking with my dad regularly. He only came with drinks,his brother and a very close friend from the same state as mine.
My dad (God rest his soul) reduced the items on the list(even though the original list was no biggy). His reason was that no man can compensate him enough for his daughters hand in marriage. To think that my husband is not Igbo yet my immediate and extended family welcomed him with open arms. This is why I said in the beginning that it all depends on the lady in question,her family etc.
don't be afraid, don't let tribalistic morons discourage you. I'm also from Alor in Anambra.
Traditional marriage in my village is simple smiley

3 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by b3llo(m): 5:04pm On Aug 11, 2014
chinelo5: Marriage in any culture depends on several factors; the lady herself, the lady's immediate & sometimes extended family, the village,the state of origin etc.
when my husband came for "iku aka" i.e "knocking on the door"(introduction), it was a very relaxed atmosphere. I made all enquiries and confirmed everything myself by speaking with my dad regularly. He only came with drinks,his brother and a very close friend from the same state as mine.
My dad (God rest his soul) reduced the items on the list(even though the original list was no biggy). His reason was that no man can compensate him enough for his daughters hand in marriage. To think that my husband is not Igbo yet my immediate and extended family welcomed him with open arms. This is why I said in the beginning that it all depends on the lady in question,her family etc.
don't be afraid, don't let tribalistic morons discourage you. I'm also from Alor in Anambra.
Traditional marriage in my village is simple smiley
I desire to marry an Igbo girl but from what Alor pple are saying about their tradition, they should be my choice. Am from Gombe hope your people will welcome me

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by BaddieKay(f): 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2014
tsolz84: The prerequisites for this visit may vary from village to village, but, basically some of the key items offered as gift to the host family include Kolanuts, Wines (alcoholic/non-alcoholic) and wrappers (Nigerian/Holland prints). Money (cash gift) is usually not offered at this point in order not to be misrepresented...This is just a summary. One thing you should know though, The igbo traditional marriage ceremony can be expensive sha..i almst got married to an abriba lady last yr;but her selfish n greedy family refused;giving lame excuses abt her being the eldest daughter;tradition demands she gets married to an abriba dude;the crazy biatch is still single and now wants me back..The tradition of selling women for the sakes of marriage must be discontinued.Every woman in each region is priceless, but they do not get sold to the highest bidder..as 4me;i am done with Igbo girls;@ OP;know more abt ur fiancee's tradition n marriage rites b4 headng dere else;they'll milk you dry..kudos..

You very lucky,ur accnt would hv bn red after the wedding...lolz*But easy with the name calling
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 11, 2014
Yh u're right;oops;my bad..i guess i allowed my emotions becloud my judgment..tanx anyways..btw;u're cute...
BaddieKay:

You very lucky,ur accnt would hv bn red after the wedding...lolz*But easy with the name calling
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by bonetalk(m): 6:10pm On Aug 11, 2014
I'm really following this thread
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by chinelo5: 6:13pm On Aug 11, 2014
b3llo: I desire to marry an Igbo girl but from what Alor pple are saying about their tradition, they should be my choice. Am from Gombe hope your people will welcome me
Like I said, it depends on a variety of factors. Your fiancée should have your back. Mine was like this because my umunna really don't like stress. Many business men amongst them who live outside the village, so no unnecessary time wasting. My dad used a blue pen to cross out two or three items(the original list was no biggy like I said). Our umunna had no problem with that because he explained why he did that.
Now, I'm not saying its perfect here, no village or community is. Within the same Alor, there are families that would add to the original list if they want to "show" the umunna & umuada that their daughter is marrying a "rich" man.
The only BUT u may encounter is that It's a predominantly Christian community, so a non Christian may not be welcome. Apologies to my Muslim and other excluded brothers'.
One more thing, if your intended has a not-too-close relationship with her folks, she won't have the liver to speak and convince
her dad(who will in turn convince umunna)
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by chinelo5: 6:22pm On Aug 11, 2014
I was completely honest with my parents about our income and what we could afford. White collar jobs and no money for frivolities. Dad took it from there and tailored the expenses to what his son in-law could afford. It just depends on the kind of in-laws you have and the other factors I mentioned earlier. I know ladies who will insist on full implementation of that list, to show everyone that their husband to-be has "arrived". They forget that there's life after these "few hours" ceremonies!

3 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by chinelo5: 6:30pm On Aug 11, 2014
I come from a family that celebrates events in a big way. Grew up in Lagos and I love the Yoruba party scene. However, as I grew up and lived on my own, I realized that quiet and simple ceremonies are the best. My parents are the type that would sponsor your marriage if you ask but my husband and I wanted to do our thing our way.
If I had to do it all over again, it would still be low key (traditional and church). Even if Dangote writes us a 100 million naira cheque grin

3 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by BaddieKay(f): 6:31pm On Aug 11, 2014
tsolz84: Yh u're right;oops;my bad..i guess i allowed my emotions becloud my judgment..tanx anyways..btw;u're cute...
thankx
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by IceMan85(m): 6:32pm On Aug 11, 2014
Bros, at this stage money is not needed.
All you need is to go with atleast two elders and some friends with wines or Snapp. You can also give her money to assist the parents prepare what you people will eat on that day.
Ignore people that are shouting money here, at this stage money is not the primary thing.
But point of correction we are not ibo's rather we are Igbo's........... Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 11, 2014
Uwc
BaddieKay:
thankx
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by kr0ne(m): 6:53pm On Aug 11, 2014
babygifty: cn i jst say dat u r wrong dia, cos whn it comes 2 issues of marriage, u dnt do everything in money, esp whn it concerns d old women in d vila.they expect u 2 give dem dia bags of rice instead of money
And how do you get these bags of rice without MONEY? grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by JACKOFALTRADE: 8:16pm On Aug 11, 2014
It depends on the family. . . Ask her dad.
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by omash: 8:39pm On Aug 11, 2014
Me my fiancee is from imo and umuaka to be precise.she' s d first child and only daughter and I'm from delta state from the riverine area. So any hope for me and my parent are late before I indulge in a white elephant project cool
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by TWEETFELLA: 10:25pm On Aug 11, 2014
kr0ne:
You don't need advice to marry an Ibo girl as long as ur in love with her. All you need is money. Smh
Dazall

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by swezenberg(m): 1:51am On Aug 12, 2014
zlatansomto: My dear its simple,. Yoruba men are obsessed with Igbo women.. The owner of this site is Yoruba too.. That one is probably masturbatingg off an Igbo woman's dp right now...

As a man thinketh so is he. This is the kind of waste product you get when some fathers will not stop sleeping with their daughters or brothers sleeping with sisters. The mistake your family made was allowing you to survive knowing fully well you are an offspring of immoral intercourse.
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Ishilove: 2:10am On Aug 12, 2014
nestaolive: Since she is ibo, please go with the following items.
1. Money.
2.lots of money.
3.more money.
4. Bags of money.
5.some more money.
6.lots of bags of more money.
As long as you have these items, you might go home with the bride after the introduction.
This is cold cheesy

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by silvoice(m): 8:48am On Aug 12, 2014
@all who comented on this, i wish i hav time to respond one after the other. but all d same ur advice are wel noted and wil be useful to me. for those who turned it to igbo/yoruba verbal war, i 4give u all. i'm not a yoruba man but i wouldn't say my tribe, to spear myself of any attack. thanks and more grace to ur elbow.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by silvoice(m): 8:57am On Aug 12, 2014
but wait oh! it seems there is inter marital war between d west and d east, jus as we hav leadership struggle btw d north and d south; based on what i read here. if so, is not obvious here in abuja oh. maybe those in lagos would esplain better
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by noskybanj(m): 2:36pm On Aug 12, 2014
If ur wife 2 b is from Anambra, Enugu or sm oda parts of Anambra state, den u r safe, u dnt need 2 go with much. Bt if she is from IMO State, my guy go nd empty ur account, borrow from family nd friends, nd den pray dat dat will b enough.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
gerrardomendes: All u nid is a bag of kola.

Or u could go there with a bag of salt n bitter kola and tell them about ebola
Haha grin
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by FELIX30(m): 9:18am On Aug 14, 2014
tsolz84: Shattap;you Igbo f00l;what do you know about luv?someone i dedicated 5 yrs of my life to?some1 i sacrificed everytin just to be with?her greedy n biased parents never bothered to ask her how she survived tru d univ;wen she was sending money home to dem;dey neva questnd my tribe..bro;you know noffin abt love okk?she is a biatch!cox d girl i fell in luv wit ;died d minute she gave me silly excuses last yr!You re just another fuvking osu..go and die;you Igbos/Igbos are all d same.
Ur signature has said it all " confirm BOKO"

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 14, 2014
You are a cursed f00l
FELIX30: Ur signature has said it all " confirm BOKO"

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Onyinyechi1008: 3:55pm On Aug 19, 2014
tsolz84: Humour me more Igbo;like I care about the opinion of never do well wankster overdose on amphetamine from infancy..i av dropped mine;take it or leave it..but d nxt time u quote me;u wont believe wat will hit u..

Such a kid. I guess your ex saw that in you and i tell you that's the main reason she dumped you like a hot potato.. Grow up. U re still a kid with the face of a man. And you can do nothing..

2 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Onyinyechi1008: 3:57pm On Aug 19, 2014
Danrizzle: What nonsense!!!! (Blasphemy)

What's nonsense boy?
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by tsolz90(m): 7:21pm On Aug 19, 2014
I made a promise to my crush on NL not to bash her fellow Igbos(unfortunately;she is an igbo lady;but not as uncultured as you)..so i'd pretend i didnt see this gibberish you spewed onyi..but for the sake of next time;dont let it happen again..btw;maturity is not judged by the accumulation of years..get that into your fat fugly skull
Onyinyechi1008:

Such a kid. I guess your ex saw that in you and i tell you that's the main reason she dumped you like a hot potato.. Grow up. U re still a kid with the face of a man. And you can do nothing..
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Onyinyechi1008: 6:46pm On Aug 20, 2014
tsolz90: I made a promise to my crush on NL not to bash her fellow Igbos(unfortunately;she is an igbo lady;but not as uncultured as you)..so i'd pretend i didnt see this gibberish you spewed onyi..but for the sake of next time;dont let it happen again..btw;maturity is not judged by the accumulation of years..get that into your fat fugly skull

Your crush Ibo lady? That's laughable considering that few days ago u were doing just that.. As for the fat ugly skull you called me, I guess someone have been looking at himself for a long time.. U uncultured piece of work..

2 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by tsolz90(m): 7:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
Nematode;walk away ;you scumbag..am gradually losing my patient..you wont believe wat is gona hit you next..akpamu oshi
Onyinyechi1008:

Your crush Ibo lady? That's laughable considering that few days ago u were doing just that.. As for the fat ugly skull you called me, I guess someone have been looking at himself for a long time.. U uncultured piece of work..
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Onyinyechi1008: 8:27pm On Aug 20, 2014
tsolz90: Nematode;walk away ;you scumbag..am gradually losing my patient..you wont believe wat is gona hit you next..akpamu oshi

And am so having a field day with this kiddo.. Bring it on.. This is gonna be someone's husband and dad (shudders). Some ladies re in trouble.. Smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Court Restrains Oluwo Of Iwo From Presiding Over Eid Prayers, Jumat Service / 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo / Describe Your Country In One Word?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.