Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,520 members, 7,801,412 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

I Need A New Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need A New Car (4881 Views)

Am I Spending Too Much On My New Car? / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? / Samuel Eto'o Shows Off His New Car Worth Millions Of Dollars - Bugatti Veyron (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A New Car by JewelStone(f): 9:46pm On Aug 10, 2014
Hi guys. I'm a young lady, currently driving my first car, a Toyota product. My car is sound and all, no issues whatsoever, but I'm incredibly bored with it. I want to change it ASAP.

I've always loved Mercedes Benz, but I'm concerned about the cost of maintenance, and fuel consumption.

I don't do much driving. And I don't mind going for it, if I can get a sound one, cos MB gives me joy cool.

My question is, is it advisable for a 26 yrs old single girl to go for an MB product? I'm interested in ML 350 2007-2010, like how much should I budget for it? Are there any issues associated with these models? Or would you recommend another model?

Please help a sister out. God bless
Re: I Need A New Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:02pm On Aug 10, 2014
Very curious what toyota brand are you currently driving?
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 11:38pm On Aug 10, 2014
JewelStone: Hi guys. I'm a young lady, currently driving my first car, a Toyota product. My car is sound and all, no issues whatsoever, but I'm incredibly bored with it. I want to change it ASAP.

I've always loved Mercedes Benz, but I'm concerned about the cost of maintenance, and fuel consumption.

I don't do much driving. And I don't mind going for it, if I can get a sound one, cos MB gives me joy cool.

My question is, is it advisable for a 26 yrs old single girl to go for an MB product? I'm interested in ML 350 2007-2010, like how much should I budget for it? Are there any issues associated with these models? Or would you recommend another model?

Impressive executive luxury SUV, some are offroad capable some are just tarmac dusters. They come in either RWD or 4WD (4matic models) they are fast, they are heavy, built tall and drive like a war tank but quite fast. Steering isn't precise and no feedback from steering actions (as vague as a toyota) you won't enjoy it if your driving is performance oriented and you pay great attention to the slightest detail of driving feedback.
But if you're looking for comfort, they're top-notch, you'd get gizmos and you'll pay for extra gizmos. Economy, don't compare this to a corolla or camry (even the V6 camry isn't as thirsty as the ML) or an avensis. The ML is tall, heavy, bulky so it takes more fuel to move the behemoth.
Reliability is impressive you're gonna strictly follow manufacturer's routine and scheduled periodic service recommendations to the latter. Stick to their oil, premium fuel (in Nigeria there's no premium PMS so you'd be better off buying octane booster). Note most German cars are faithful if pampered but they bite if ignored.

DIGRESION: why would a 26 year old lady need an ML when a GLK350 4matic is nice, chic and compact?

3 Likes

Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 2:03am On Aug 11, 2014
@lomomike spot on the GLK 350 feels like a better choice for a lady.
Re: I Need A New Car by nurey(m): 4:09am On Aug 11, 2014
If she is coming from a Toyota family and she loves its reliability, she should be adviced to go for a lexus RX350 or 400 jeep.

The merc is a great product but if it dies on you on the road forget about road side mechanics touching it, you will have to tow it.

If you are bent on buying the merc don't buy the ML too bulky buy the GLK, except you want to intimidate boys with the ML sha. Lol
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 6:41am On Aug 11, 2014
nurey: If she is coming from a Toyota family and she loves its reliability, she should be adviced to go for a lexus RX350 or 400 jeep.

The merc is a great product but if it dies on you on the road forget about road side mechanics touching it, you will have to tow it.

If you are bent on buying the merc don't buy the ML too bulky buy the GLK, except you want to intimidate boys with the ML sha. Lol
The RX lineup doesn't just have a 400 series ( I don't know of the existence) but they had RX300, 330 and 350 for regular gasoline engine. They have a 400h which is hybrid. But don't be tempted to go for that if you reside in Nigeria a country where 350k for camry hybrid batteries, 500k highlander, then the price of lexus hybrid battery could be some figures shy of 1m yet you can't see a certified hybrid repair engineer easily.
As for reliability, every car maker is upping their game. Its only a few that aren't doing well. The merc is a dependable and reliable marque its only those folks who haven't used them or used and abused them that get its verocious temperament. Once you stick faithfully by merc you'd distance yourself from a japmobile.
Even a lowly 2003 highlander still confuses a mechanic. A foolish rewirer nearly got my highlander burnt early this year due to his incompetence while fixing my burnt out foglight bulb (I was too lazy to fix it) and when he did I turned it on and drove some meters only to discover the cabin smoking. Stopped and discover the foglamp had burnt and was on the verge of burning my wires if I hadn't killed the ignition. That vehicle was towed home and a competent rewirer corrected the anomaly. I know a 2003 pathfinder which had fuel injection nozzle error and ETCS-I system error thus not not revving while wasting fuel. The mech changed all manners of parts only to finally introduce cable type throttle thus sending it to its grave in the long run.
For any car its advisable to park and tow when there's a serious malfunction so as to prevent hazards.
Re: I Need A New Car by nurey(m): 9:40am On Aug 11, 2014
Well said lomomike, as I always do, I never introduce people to buy mercs not because they are not good or that I am a professional in automobile know how, it is just that they don't do well with maintenance abuses like the jap mobiles. Also you talk about premium fuel for the merc, and I doubt you can get that in naija but you also proferred a solution to that.
I just thought the lexus will be ok the RX330 and 350 forget the 400h they are luxurious to an extent.
@op if you don't mind the maintenace strain of the merc go for it, it fits you but try buy the GLK as suggested.
Re: I Need A New Car by JewelStone(f): 11:48am On Aug 11, 2014
GAZZUZZ: Very curious what toyota brand are you currently driving?

Corolla 2010
Re: I Need A New Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:05pm On Aug 11, 2014
JewelStone:

Corolla 2010

You have been adviced accordingly.

I hope there a roads void of traffic to drive your new car.
Re: I Need A New Car by JewelStone(f): 12:33pm On Aug 11, 2014
Thank you everyone for your detailed advice, I really appreciate.

Lomomike, I'll check out the GLK350, thanks a lot. I don't drive much as my office is close to my house and there isn't much traffic here, so I'm not too bothered about fuel consumption.

Nurey, lolz. I'm not trying to intimidate boys oo. I'm really into performance, and my Toyota isn't doing it for me. And I don't like the Lexus RX350.

Any idea on what I should budget for the GLK 350 2010 model?
Re: I Need A New Car by jossyme: 1:06pm On Aug 11, 2014
JewelStone: Hi guys. I'm a young lady, currently driving my first car, a Toyota product. My car is sound and all, no issues whatsoever, but I'm incredibly bored with it. I want to change it ASAP.

Since you like performance ride, maybe you should consider Infiniti FX 35, I cruise one.You'll like it.
Re: I Need A New Car by Ikenna351(m): 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2014

Life is too short to live an unhappy one. Go out there and enjoy it to the fullest when you still got the chance, if you asked me. Because someday, you will look back and have some regrets.

Benz gives you joy, irrespective of your current sound car? And you can afford the Benz, right? What are you doing on this thread then? You found your current newer car boring and you want to jump back to another that could bore hell out of you? Why do we have to trade in our happiness to peoples belief?

I will say it again, Nairaland is the last place to truly really really know if you can afford to own a particular car you are interested in, especially a Euro car. If you really want to know how good the Benz ML350 2007 -2010 models are, go out of Nairaland, google the car online forum and you will find dedicated forums on Benz only or even on that particular car. Go through the threads there and you will be well informed. In dedicated forums, people go there to seek for solutions to theiur car issues. No biased post and most importantly, first hand experience from current owners and former owners. The issues you found there will determine if you can afford to own the car, even if you start experiencing such problems. Also, go to spare parts market where you live, check availability of parts in those markets or check if you can afford buying geniune parts online and have them ship in, if need arises. Ask around where Benz workshops are, visit them and ask cost of certain wearable parts. Find out from Benz owners in your area the good Benz workshops around, even if it will cost more to repair your car there. You can as well check the Benz thread in this Car Talk. All these will help you decide if you can afford to live your dream or suspend it until you can afford to.

Find ML350 (W164) sub forum in benz worl below:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164-m-class/

I dont know where you live, but in Abuja, Chicks, not just ladies, pull this particular Benz like its nothing. Funny thing is, I dont recall seeing any of them been towed or broken down on road. If they can be that reliable to those chicks, what then its wrong with the car? That I cannot afford spark plug that cost 5k each doesnt mean another guy cannot. Some people pull 12 cylinder cars, knowing they will be gas guzzlers and not complaining. But Nairalanders will tell you, " Don't go there! The car is not reliable, you cant have savings owing such a car, its a gas guzzler, its not durable, its always breaking down and bla bla blah". But how many of us have seen the key of that car, let alone drive the car? But we seem to know more about the car, more than the manufacturer. That someone you know fail to keep the car running in good shape, doesnt mean another person cannot.

If after checking up the car, as i suggested above, and you think you cant deal with all that, financially or otherwise, then walk away from the car and find yourself another. Doesnt mean other cars are not good, just like it doesnt mean all ladies are not pretty. But then, "Beauty is in the eyes of beholder". Babe, your happiness is in your hands!

Ikenna

15 Likes

Re: I Need A New Car by JewelStone(f): 6:39pm On Aug 11, 2014
^^^ Thanks. I'm going through that forum now. Will let you know if I need any further information

1 Like

Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 12:08am On Aug 12, 2014

You rock sister ! In deciding to abandon toyota for some German engineering. What id say is to go for a Volkswagen. From my experience they are cheaper to buy and maintain in Nigeria than the other German brands.
But seems like you're really a sucker for Mercedes Benz, which is also a great brand. The ml is cool but also take a look at the glk too first before making up your mind! Good luck!!!
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 12:12am On Aug 12, 2014
lomomike:
Impressive executive luxury SUV, some are offroad capable some are just tarmac dusters. They come in either RWD or 4WD (4matic models) they are fast, they are heavy, built tall and drive like a war tank but quite fast. Steering isn't precise and no feedback from steering actions (as vague as a toyota) you won't enjoy it if your driving is performance oriented and you pay great attention to the slightest detail of driving feedback.
But if you're looking for comfort, they're top-notch, you'd get gizmos and you'll pay for extra gizmos. Economy, don't compare this to a corolla or camry (even the V6 camry isn't as thirsty as the ML) or an avensis. The ML is tall, heavy, bulky so it takes more fuel to move the behemoth.
Reliability is impressive you're gonna strictly follow manufacturer's routine and scheduled periodic service recommendations to the latter. Stick to their oil, premium fuel (in Nigeria there's no premium PMS so you'd be better off buying octane booster). Note most German cars are faithful if pampered but they bite if ignored.

DIGRESION: why would a 26 year old lady need an ML when a GLK350 4matic is nice, chic and compact?
What exactly is chic about a GLK 350?

2 Likes

Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 12:13am On Aug 12, 2014
cne010: @lomomike spot on the GLK 350 feels like a better choice for a lady.
What exactly makes the GLK350 a better choice for a lady?

2 Likes

Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 12:14am On Aug 12, 2014
nurey: If she is coming from a Toyota family and she loves its reliability, she should be adviced to go for a lexus RX350 or 400 jeep.

What exactly is too bulky about the ML ?
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 12:16am On Aug 12, 2014
JewelStone: Thank you everyone for your detailed advice, I really appreciate.

Lomomike, I'll check out the GLK350, thanks a lot. I don't drive much as my office is close to my house and there isn't much traffic here, so I'm not too bothered about fuel consumption.

Nurey, lolz. I'm not trying to intimidate boys oo. I'm really into performance, and my Toyota isn't doing it for me. And I don't like the Lexus RX350.

Any idea on what I should budget for the GLK 350 2010 model?
Pls if you're really into performance (just like me ) and you can afford it, and you want it to be an SUV , why not get the ML550 or ML63 AMG ??
You'd surely get loads of performance from the ML63 sister !
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 12:40am On Aug 12, 2014
True talk @ikenna351 ....
Back then at early 2013
I had my eyes on Dodge Charger 2010 model
I came to nl and posted it
Thy we're like wat was I looking for
Some said I have money abi I wantu buy problem
When I told them I was buying the Highest Trim of the charger Srt8,that has 6.1L Hemi V8,
Thy said I should buy 2.7l v6,charger ..
I ignored them and purchased the 6.1L srt8 without anyone's advice
Who cares
I went too international forums and made research
I wanted that Raw power
I wanted that Engine
I could rev and ppl Say That's an Hemi V8
...I bought my baby
And posted it in the thread thy said I should wait and see issues..
Lol
My charger runs fine
Fuel economy is dope for me
...Not a guzzler like thy say
because Nigerians want to use 5liters fuel for a week(w.t.f)
My tranny never slipped
My spark plugs never for once split
So what are thy saying
@op please follow ur mind and purchase the car of your dreams

No matter where I enter I am noticed
Is it my wheels
My burnouts

Or my aggressive front View?
Lowering Springs
Or the Exhaust
Why won't you fuc-king stare
Sometimes around last week was driving home when japanese fan boy driving a v6 08,camry optted for a race i laughed in motion
The guy and his friends didnt know wah is under the hood
I lost them thy didnt see my brake light...

6 Likes

Re: I Need A New Car by sultaan(m): 2:53am On Aug 12, 2014
Readone35L: True talk @ikenna351 ....
Back then at early 2013
I had my eyes on Dodge Charger 2010 model
I came to nl and posted it
Thy we're like wat was I looking for
Some said I have money abi I wantu buy problem
When I told them I was buying the Highest Trim of the charger Srt8,that has 6.1L Hemi V8,
Thy said I should buy 2.7l v6,charger ..
I ignored them and purchased the 6.1L srt8 without anyone's advice
Who cares
I went too international forums and made research
I wanted that Raw power
I wanted that Engine
I could rev and ppl Say That's an Hemi V8
...I bought my baby
And posted it in the thread thy said I should wait and see issues..
Lol
My charger runs fine
Fuel economy is dope for me
...Not a guzzler like thy say
because Nigerians want to use 5liters fuel for a week(w.t.f)
My tranny never slipped
My spark plugs never for once split
So what are thy saying
@op please follow ur mind and purchase the car of your dreams

No matter where I enter I am noticed
Is it my wheels
My burnouts

Or my aggressive front View?
Lowering Springs
Or the Exhaust
Why won't you fuc-king stare
Sometimes around last week was driving home when japanese fan boy driving a v6 08,camry optted for a race i laughed in motion
The guy and his friends didnt know wah is under the hood
I lost them thy didnt my brake light...

It really different when you have seen beyond Camry and accord when a lady says a 2010 is boring she could have added 500k and buy a ML in the first place but she probably listen to someone thinking of fuel
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 8:18am On Aug 12, 2014
elbedso:
What exactly makes the GLK350 a better choice for a lady?

Just the way 4runner feels like a mans car and Rav4 for a woman. I saw this hot chic in a red GLK once and I loved the car instantly.
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 8:37am On Aug 12, 2014
cne010:

Just the way land cruiser LX or a chevrolet tahoe feels like a mans car and Rav4 for a woman. I saw this hot chic in a red GLK once and I loved the car instantly.

Fixed
Re: I Need A New Car by nurey(m): 8:51am On Aug 12, 2014
elbedso:
What exactly is too bulky about the ML ?

Please go to ikoyi and see the two cars up close and personal and tell me what you think. The ML looks big infact I can say it is as big as the ford expedition.

But seriously the GLK is more chic looking than the ML na.
Re: I Need A New Car by nurey(m): 8:55am On Aug 12, 2014
Please Op if you about performance in all ramfication of its definition, don't even look at those jap mobiles even though they are efficient they lack power.
I can't do more than 120km/h with any jap suv they tend to become very light and unstable at high speeds.
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 9:02am On Aug 12, 2014
nurey: Please Op if you about performance in all ramfication of its definition, don't even look at those jap mobiles even though they are efficient they lack power.
I can't do more than 120km/h with any jap suv they tend to become very light and unstable at high speeds.
That's not always true bro, when I had my carina ii 2.0GLi, auto tranny, I reached speeds of up to 170km/h, I changed to a QX4 RWD, I reached speeds of 175km/h mehn that truck was very stable on high speeds and enters and exit corners well, in my current highlander 2.4 4WD I hit speeds of 160km/h (due to its light weight handling I dnt push hard), my current RX330 AWD lexus, I pushed 175km/h its electronically governed to180km/h but it hugged the ground with little or no fear.
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 12, 2014
sultaan:

It really different when you have seen beyond Camry and accord when a lady says a 2010 is boring she could have added 500k and buy a ML in the first place but she probably listen to someone thinking of fuel

That's it Bro
....Nigerians and beans talk
Thy have never owned the car not eben touching the keys
In there fishy mind thy know more about the car than the owners self
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 12, 2014
nurey: Please Op if you about performance in all ramfication of its definition, don't even look at those jap mobiles even though they are efficient they lack power.

Every Nigerians tend to say DT jagons u said(am sorry no harm) because one or two people said DT then the whole Nigeria is aware of d shit.
Why did the manufacturer put it up to 180-200
I have gone up to 150-180kmph in a 2005 and 2010 Camry both we're cooperating
Even the accord
So you buy a kia Rio and get to 120kmph and u wanna pee on ur pants
Doesn't make all japs u stable
U might say am a Jap fan but no I drive a dodge... And I pull it to my own limit not the cars limit ...
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 12, 2014
I won't mind seeing your dodge's picture
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 12, 2014
Goto my other thread where I had a burnt ba3 cable issue .. I guess I posted some pishurs dere
Re: I Need A New Car by nurey(m): 10:53am On Aug 12, 2014
Readone35L:
Every Nigerians tend to say DT jagons u said(am sorry no harm) because one or two people said DT then the whole Nigeria is aware of d shit.
Why did the manufacturer put it up to 180-200
I have gone up to 150-180kmph in a 2005 and 2010 Camry both we're cooperating
Even the accord
So you buy a kia Rio and get to 120kmph and u wanna pee on ur pants
Doesn't make all japs u stable
U might say am a Jap fan but no I drive a dodge... And I pull it to my own limit not the cars limit ...
I hope you know the difference beteen and suv and saloon car (camry).

@lomomike I have don't travelled with my car b4 (state to state express), that's my own reason for that because I have been involved in an accident B4 what comes to my mind when I feel the car becoming light is what if... Even with my car in top notch condition.

I won't even advice my enemy to do more than 130km/h on third mainland in a jap SUV but in jap cars u can do more than that.
I have tested a benz V boot and an accord DC at 140km/h and I can tell you the benz gave me no cause for alarm infact I didn't know I had hit 140 in the vboot. at 135 I still puished the DC onto 140 But at 130+ I wasn't comfortable with the accord. I am just an average young driver not a speed king o
Re: I Need A New Car by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 12, 2014
Even I was involved in accident twice in that Carina ii, the vehicle developed a mind of its own at will as in that car was a proper lemon and it was always acting up. The only sure thing was the interior, the electrical, the engine and gearbox; all other things developed faults at their own insistence. But it didn't deter me from hitting high speeds of 170km/h.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Trading In My 2005 Lexus ES330 For A 2011 Honda Accord / Nigerian Fuel / Driving from the south east to the south west.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.