Stats: 3,148,635 members, 7,801,832 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination (37153 Views)

Pictures Of The Nigerian Team From 1994 World Cup / No Change In 2015 Africa Cup Schedule Over Ebola – CAF / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by naptu2: 8:08am On Aug 14, 2014
[size=14pt][bold]Nigeria withdraws team from 2014 Youth Olympics in China over Ebola discrimination[/bold][/size]

Posted On 13 Aug 2014By : Web Master

Comment: 0Tag: Nanjing 2014, News, Nigeria, Sports Entertainment News

Nigerian athletes and officials to the on-going 2014 Youth Olympics in Nanjing, China have been directed to leave and come home after the country pulled out of the competition on Wednesday following discrimination against its athletes.The athletes were quarantined, isolated and barred from training alongside other athletes of the World since arriving the competition venue.

In a statement signed Wednesday by the Director General of the National Sports Commission, Hon Gbenga Elegbeleye Nigeria protested to the organisers that the treatment to the Nigerian athletes were inhuman.

The decision to withdraw Team Nigeria from the Games was taken after a meeting with Sports Minister, Dr Tammy Danagogo, Nigeria Olympic Committee, NOC, President, Engr Sani M. Ndanusa and the Director General of the National sports Commission, Hon Gbenga Elegbeleye.

The Youth Olympics is scheduled to hold from August 16 to August 18, and team Nigeria were to participate in three sports – Athletics, Wrestling and Beach Vollleyball, with twelve athletes.

http://africanspotlight.com/2014/08/13/nigeria-withdraws-team-2014-youth-olympics-china-ebola-discrimination/

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 14, 2014
Make una comot 4 there. Not worth d trouble

47 Likes

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by naptu2: 8:17am On Aug 14, 2014
[size=14pt][bold]Ebola: China quarantines Nigerian athletes at Youth Olympics[/bold][/size]

on august 13, 2014 at 9:07 pm in sports

By Tony Ubani

Team Nigerian athletes to the on-going Youth Olympics in Nanjing, China pulled out of the Competition Wednesday following the discrimination of the athletes who were quarantined, isolated and barred from training alongside other athletes of the World since arriving the competition venue.The Youth Olympics is scheduled to hold in Nanjing, China from August 16 to August 18. And Team Nigeria were to participate in three sports – Athletics, Wrestling and Beach Vollleyball, with twelve athletes.

In a statement signed  Wednesday by the Director General of the National Sports Commission, Hon Gbenga Elegbeleye Nigeria protested to the organisers that the treatment to the Nigerian athletes were inhuman.The decision to withdraw Team Nigeria from the Games was taken after a meeting with Sports Minister, Dr Tammy Danagogo, Nigeria Olympic Committee, NOC, President, Engr Sani M. Ndanusa and the Director General of the National sports Commission, Hon Gbenga Elegbeleye.

Though the officials have not reacted to Nigeria’s withdrawal of her athletes, the discrimination and subsequent quarantine of the athletes is not unconnected to the Ebola virus that is ravaging part of West Africa.The athletes and their officials have been directed to leave China and head home.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/ebola-china-quarantines-nigerian-athletes-youth-olympics/

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by ibkgab001: 8:23am On Aug 14, 2014
There is God !!!

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by lifestyle1(m): 8:52am On Aug 14, 2014

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by BUSHHUNTER: 8:53am On Aug 14, 2014
Chai

32 Likes

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by bankyblue(m): 8:53am On Aug 14, 2014
u see what that M*D laberian/american as done to this country?

to the extent that a country like Rewanda too is saying rubbui**

GEJ U NEED TO ACT FAST!

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 14, 2014
None of the athletes were sick....so why the quarantine.

Complete over-reaction.(sigh).

22 Likes

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Vincenzi: 8:54am On Aug 14, 2014
Chai! Humiliation of the highest order. Patrick Sawyer,you see wetin you cause? Mad man!

41 Likes

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Ptoocool(m): 8:55am On Aug 14, 2014
Chai, DiSCRiMiNATiON AT iTS PEAK

Ah know say if na oyinbo country dem, dem qo over look am say dem be white..

God dey sha, una don hear wetin dem yarn lah..
Maka qini, make una comot dia domot..

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by slimpoppa(m): 8:55am On Aug 14, 2014
Very good. We can't be treated like a piece of rag.

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 14, 2014
all because of this american sawyer devil!! the guy na terrorist dat came on a suicide mission

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Ekowise(m): 8:56am On Aug 14, 2014
Ok!!
What Patrick Sawyer brought upon Nigeria.

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by ayusco85(m): 8:57am On Aug 14, 2014
Ah, china!!! U did this to my dear country? Oya na, I withdraw my earlier post campaigning for china to be world power by 2050.

New campaign: Stop patronising china products. #Shikena

32 Likes

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by phlemzy: 8:58am On Aug 14, 2014
Its unfortunate but its only a measure to guide against further spread as even within Nigeria,the number of contacts under watch is expanding. I fear if it wont get to a point where the number of people under watch would get to a million.

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Afam4eva(m): 8:58am On Aug 14, 2014
people are yet to be educated about Ebola. it can't be contracted if the person is not sick. But i guess they don't wanna take chances. Can we blame them?

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by NotNairalandi(m): 8:58am On Aug 14, 2014
seee insult....

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Alenkakent(m): 8:59am On Aug 14, 2014
Nawao... Seriously?
Oh my fatherland, y art thou allowed this to happen to us
Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by UrbanMystique: 8:59am On Aug 14, 2014
Talk about over reacting.

When Sars and bird flu was ravaging China, did any country discriminate against their sportsmen?

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 14, 2014
since this Ebola of a thing became serious, you hardly see The police and road safety officials on the road stopping motorists cheesy..........This is the part of Ebola that I love soo welll grin grin

45 Likes

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by yuzjet(m): 8:59am On Aug 14, 2014
What an insult? See what Ebola outbreak has caused! Anyway, those twelve athletes have to wait for another competition to represent their nation. Hope for Nigeria.......
Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by jibbish(m): 8:59am On Aug 14, 2014
Hmmm... all in d name of ebola. **drops mic n undresses, una father dey MAD I swear down**
Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Dreyl(m): 8:59am On Aug 14, 2014
Very pathetic!
Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by MAYOWAAK: 9:00am On Aug 14, 2014
BREAKING NEWS!!! THIS JUST
HAPPENED
AT SENATOR OMISORE'S
RESIDENCE*
[Omisore punching calculator and
writing on his note pad. Then the
phone rings]
OMISORE: Hello! Who is this?
GEJ: It's me your President. Sorry
about the
loss ehn...This APC rascals are stubborn ooo.
OMISORE: Ha, my president, na so we
see
am ooo. In fact, that yeye
Raufu get juju.
[Continues punching calculator loudly]
GEJ: Iyiola, what is that sound I'm
hearing?
OMISORE: I'm calculating sir.
GEJ: Calculating what?
OMISORE: All the money that I've lost on
this election sir. Ha, owo
wo igbo ooo. With all the bags of
rice, salt
and gallons of kerosene.
GEJ: My friend stop that! Afterall, it is not
really ur money.
OMISORE: [Speaking in agony] What
do I do
about this 1,000 bottles
of champagne now! GEJ: 1,000 bottles of
what! Do you
plan to
open a bar?
OMISORE: No sir! I planned to use it
for
celebration when they declare me as winner
ni. Ha! Mo gbe
ooo.
GEJ: Stop that my friend! It is a
blessing in
disguise!
OMISORE: Blessing how! You know I'm not
from the royal family and
the Ooni of Ife has no plans to die
now. So
being king is not an
option. GEJ: I am making you an
ambassador. A
very special, very powerful
and very dignified ambassador.
OMISORE: [Quickly drops calculator]
Ambassador to where sir? GEJ: To Liberia.
You will have 3
private jets,
4 large mansions, fleets
of cars, several foreign accounts...
OMISORE: Ehnnnn!!!!
GEJ: Forget what you're thinking. You're a
man nw... We shall
provide you with golden gloves,
diamond
nose pads, extreme
security... [Omisore faints on the other end of
the line]
GEJ: Hello! Hello!! Hello!!! Chai!
Network
ehn..

71 Likes

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 14, 2014
Stewpid people

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Biralee(m): 9:00am On Aug 14, 2014
Chinco dey fall 9ja hand abi!

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by Lawalemi(m): 9:01am On Aug 14, 2014
See what Sanya caused grin

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by whisper88(m): 9:01am On Aug 14, 2014
H
Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by DukeNija(m): 9:01am On Aug 14, 2014
I doubt they would discriminate against the US or European teams if they had Ebola. God punish them!

Re: Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination by kellyJames5(m): 9:02am On Aug 14, 2014
Haba!
The chincos over reacted this time around!

Shakhtar Donetsk's Junior Coach Killed In Ukraine Crisis / Samuel Eto'o Is New Cameroon Football Federation President / Floyd Mayweather's 10 Most Expensive Cars In Pictures