Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,319 members, 7,808,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

FG Suspends Residency Training!! - Health (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / FG Suspends Residency Training!! (24021 Views)

Federal Government Has Reversed The Suspension Of Residency Training Programme / Federal Government Suspends Doctors Residency Training / LUTH calls for residents..Residency Training Program In Nigeria..info (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by thaqib(m): 10:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
DrWise: This is s step in the right direction by the Jonathan administration. These incompetent fools addressed as doctors cannot hold us to ransom. In trying times like this when ebola virus is threatening to wipe out our very existence, these fools are happily on strike and you want the FG to relax and watch these renegade crumble the health sector as a result of superiority fight?

The same people that enjoy various privileges including highest paid during NYSC and various bursaries are the ones engaging the government in a faceoff. The Fashola administration used the same approach of locums and put an end to a seeming situation some time ago.

I have a younger sister who is a medical doctor and I have told her severally that I am disappointed in the NMA, MDCN and whatever umbrella you group.

No going back by the FGN!
dr wise, 2 say d least, you are completely ignorant of the issues @ stake. U also have beefs for doctor because they are paid more during NYSC. Smh for u...

3 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by Faru: 6:58am On Aug 16, 2014
With these illogical reasoning and idiotic comments, I fear for the future of this country. Jonathan's decision to sack residents is ludicrous; an action any "right thinking" person should condemn in strongest terms.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by thaqib(m): 7:01am On Aug 16, 2014
shocked
ikennahill:

funny Nigerian Medical doctors,u want your own residency but you are fighting others from doing fellowship in their own field(not medicine).It baffles me how these medical doctors think.Some are saying it is war with government,do they know the power government have? Hmmmm my brother go and read about government in time of war .I love this thing done by our president.Medical doctors in 9ja don chew too much.

You are fighting every other health care professional from growing to their peak,from been directors,from been consultants in their own field,from getting their allowances,from becoming CMDs,from further training,from existing.

[b]You are Commissioner of health,ministers of health,perm sec ministry of health in Federal and 97% of states,you are directors of medical service in federal and state ministry,if FMOH and atste Ministry of health have 5 directors you have 4 directors out of five,you are head of HMBs in most states,you are chairmen of most Federal and state Hospital and health related boards and parastattals,including Nafdac,primary health,[/b]etc.

You are MDs,head of most departments including colonization of some of them by force eg optometrist and ophthalmologist,etc,you even want to head medical lab,account dept,administration,medical record,etc.This is not enough after leading(was it actual leading?) and heading everywhere you turn around to say our system is in shamble because of a student that refuse to learn though government pay for his training,his salaries even while in training and will pay him higher on graduation.

WHY IS GOVT NOW EMPLOYING 490 ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH OFFICERS NOW? THIS HAVE BEEN ADVOCATED AND APPROVED FOR LONG BUT NMA HAVE BEEN SITTING ON THIS USING THEIR VARIOUS CONNECTION LIKE THEY DO TO OTHER HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS

.NMA COLONISED MASTERS IN PUBLIC HEALTH(MPH) IN NIGERIA,BUT PUBLIC HEALTH IS FOR EVERYBODY INCLUDING GRADUATES OF MASS COMMUNICATION ,HISTORY,ARCHITECTURE,ETC.IN 2011 THE BEST MPH STUDENT IN UCT WAS AN UGANDAN THAT READ MASS COMMUNICATION IN UGANDA.AS IF THIS IS NOT ENOUGH SOME OF THE SCHOOLS IN NIGERIA RENAMED MPH TO BE COMMUNITY HEALTH FOR NON MBBS MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS TO DIFFERENTIATE THEM FROM MPH WHILE THEY DO THE SAME COURSE,TAKE LECTURES TOGETHER WITH MBBS MPH STUDENTS,TAKES THE SAME EXAM BUT GET DIFFERENT CERTIFICATE.TODAY EBOLA IS HERE WITH US AND ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH OFFICERS ARE TO BE EMPLOYED,THEN WHERE ARE THOSE MDCAN PUB HEALTH CONSULTANTS.
JONATHAN I DOFF MY HAT FOR YOU.IT IS 2 MONTHS NOW MBBS DOCTORS ARE ON STRIKE AND WE ARE STILL ALIVE.GOD WILL KEEP US ALIVE TILL HE DECIDE TO CALL US HOME ANY DAY HE WISH.

KUDOS TO GEJ
dude, have you bathed with the salt water? Now write again and let's see the difference...

3 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by thaqib(m): 9:46am On Aug 16, 2014
warrior01:

Abeg, park well for one side. FYI, are those things that parade themselves in Nigeria as doctors real docs in the real sense of the word? Pls, shoe get size. Most of you guys are just a bunch of useless nonentities with over bloated sense of importance. As far as am concerned, a road side Agbo seller is more useful to an average Nigerian than your useless lot. Do some soul searching; you'll know am very right.
if you are congenitally ignorant,what can anybody do?
Swear that you have never sought a doctor's advice. Continue 2 patronise the agbo seller, when your kidneys pack ^,you will go and see another agbo seller 2 replace it for u
Rather than address issues, ur beefs for doctors overshadow ur intellect, that's if you any atom's weight before
Mtchew..

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by thaqib(m): 10:07am On Aug 16, 2014
ejihand1:

Sharrap there! So you expect govt to fold its hands and allow a part of medical teams to put it in a tight corner? For your information, consultants are not on strike. The govt got it right on this one. No group of persons is indispensable in any organised sector. Let the NARDS sit and watch their job been taken by their follow doctors. Then, they will realised that this govt cant be intimidated or cajoled to carry out absurd request. Fashiola did and presently the hired doctors are still in govt pay check list. A word is a enough for the wise. Doctors, the early you go back to work the better for you. thanks
Fashola has not done anything novel.you probably dunno the hospitals are not functioning ^ 2 10pcent of their capacith during this strike. Go ask the nurses working there. The earlier u guys know Jonathan is toying with our lives, the better. Can't u look beyond the health sector? Tell me in which sector we are happy in this country
Until you/relative is gravely affected by this action, then it will become clear than 'ori bibe ko logun ori fifo'

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by thaqib(m): 10:15am On Aug 16, 2014
Forwetinnah:

Don't mind them, yapping away like they can make any difference even if the government provided them with a million hazmat suits, all they want is the money. Were they expecting the FG to give them the entire funds meant to tackle Ebola at once so they can build more Private hospitals?They've succeeded in rubbishing other health workers, with the idea that they're all that. Some of them can't even find a vein in ones arm even if its a s big as a sugarcane. Political Doctors! Biko remove your lab coats, join politics since you all want to share the national moin moin
can't but laugh at ur comment.So a doctor trained for 6 years 2 set an iv line abi? If he couldn't secure one, he is a failure..
With people like you, jonathan can complete the mission he has started, 2 ruin all sectors of this nation. I no dey talk again jare

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by Forwetinnah: 10:34am On Aug 16, 2014
thaqib: can't but laugh at ur comment.So a doctor trained for 6 years 2 set an iv line abi? If he couldn't secure one, he is a failure..
With people like you, jonathan can complete the mission he has started, 2 ruin all sectors of this nation. I no dey talk again jare

So what happens if there's an emergency and a nurse isnt there to set an iv line? Didnt they lecture them on that? *pompous*No talk plenty...enter ward go see werin your resident docs dey do, no shout!! Some are good no doubt. As for FG trying to ruin other sectors, i think thats the same thing the Docs are trying to do to other health workers. We all cant have our way any time we throw a tantrum. We have our parts to play individually to move this country forward. .blaming everything on the FG won't get us anywhere
Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by thaqib(m): 4:24pm On Aug 16, 2014
God, please come 2 our rescue before this man turn Nigeria 2 an history..
Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by mez(m): 4:50pm On Aug 16, 2014
Leopantro: that means medical students cannot graduate to become doctors. Medical consultants automatically become medical officers because it's the training that gives the title. Medical governing bodies become redundant thus nobody to report to so malpractise becomes common place.

GOODLUCK TO ME, GOODLUCK TO YOU. GOODLUCK TO EVERYBODY........

You will need it.

I love your sense of humour/sarcasm.
Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by Leopantro: 5:24pm On Aug 16, 2014
mez:

I love your sense of humour/sarcasm.

my brother, I'm just tired
Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by drobadebayo: 6:11pm On Aug 16, 2014
[/color] Am guessing jonathan and chukwu are now busy looking for locum consultants[color=#990000]
Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by ehissi(m): 10:30am On Aug 17, 2014
When I see things like this, it reminds me of the battles that led to D formation of ANAN to D chagrin of ICAN which is even now seemingly more relevant than ICAN now. People may wonder how this relates to this issue, let's leave that for a different thread; what I find bizzarre is that the NMA isn't even trying to deny what D federal government said in its letter suspending this residency program; these are as follows:-

1.) That it had implemented up to 90% of what was required by NMA in its lists of demands.

2.) That D doctors where paid salaries as well as all allowances including hazard allowance in full even though they had sat at home for over a month (tell me what hazard can come out of sitting at home on strike) as a measure of good faith. Yet NMA didn't budge on D strike.

3.) Eminent persons where called in by the FG to negotiate on its behalf, yet NMA didn't budge. An excerpt from D suspension letter showing FG's represntatives and D pain of goverment.

"These personalities included the governor of Delta State, the secretary to the government of the federation, members of the National Assembly (especially the Senate and House committees on Heath), the head of the civil service of the federation, chairman of the National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission, the senior special assistant to the president on public affairs, the honourable ministers of health and labour and productivity, the honourable minister of state for health, presidents and registrars of the National Post-graduate Medical College of Nigeria, the West African College of Physicians and West African College of Surgeons, traditional rulers, eminent and senior members of the medical profession, as well as past executives of the NMA.
It should be stressed that the Federal Government has implemented more than 90 percent of its responsibilities as signed by both parties. At the conclusion of each meeting, the NMA promised to call off the strike but would renege." U see how confused NMA is?

4.) D last straw was its president, NMA of course. This is an excerpt on his resignation saga as contained in D
vanguard newspaper.

"FOLLOWING the confusion that trailed conflicting statements regarding the suspension of medical doctors’ 40-day strike, Dr Kayode Obembe has resigned as the national president of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA).

Obembe issued a statement on Thursday that the doctors had suspended the strike but he was countered by some officers of the NMA, who insisted that the industrial action was still on.

Dr Kayode Obembe
Reacting to the issue Friday, Obembe, in a statement he entitled: ‘Clarification,’ said: “There has been a request for clarification about the two postings from NMA secretariat on NMA blog. I want to make it categorically clear that I stand by every letter of the document I signed-‘that the strike was suspended.’
And since upon my integrity and honour, I cannot continue to drive the doctrine that ‘strike continues,’ I hereby tender my letter of resignation as NMA president. What I have written, I have written.” "

The past NMA president called off D strike in D wake of D ebola outbreak, NMA merchant doctors said no way so D president for D sake of his own integrity as a medical doctor resigned, NMA Merchant doctors say make them die if we don't get all we want and more. FG gives U 90% and even pays U full pay with hazard allowance isn't enough for U to stop D strike while negotiation goes on as to when D rest 10% go show. Greedy folks

This is enough to signify that D NMA has run outta control; despite the Presidential declaration of a National Public Health Emergency on Ebola Disease which had united the entire country in the efforts to contain the disease, the NMA who should take leadership role in the fight against Ebola disease is now the most unsupportive.

All efforts by Government to contain this disease are being frustrated by the continued industrial strike action of the NMA.

Also realise that govt simply suspended the program not scrap it. So for those who think its not possible constitutionally, think again. Buhari tried to scrap it in D 80% not suspend that D difference between what happened in D 80's and now.

I pray that this action by government will pave D way for other medical and life scientist to create a parallel bodies that will ensure D protection of lives because NMA is selling off its members as a bunch of merchant doctors who know nothing of the hippocrites oath.

One thing anyone who is willing to be frank will take away from this strike and other forms of industrial action by Labour unions is that they always strike about D conditions of service of their members and not D quality of service. D rationale being that when D condition of service of their member is improved automatically D quality of service will improve but this is false.

Labour Unions/Professional bodies will never strike nor suggest ways through ïndustrial actions that will improve quality of service because actual quality of service delivery is their responsiblity (Goodluck can only send what they need he won't administer it) and it will affect close to 75% of it members and that will pit them against their fellows. U will see even if government gives them all they want, D medical services of government won't improve and if U ask NMA that is calling itself a body of professionals they will still blame it on government as if president Jonathan or his wife are at fault inspite all D power and recognition they have from FG to make changes and recommendations all they want is less working hours and more money.

Let them be paying for it like D way law students pay for law school and let FG setup parallel bodies that will protect D interest of service delivery of others in D industry including D recipients of such service and FG should take D bull by D horns in handling it medical services that way Nigerian medical services in D country will improve. God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by drobadebayo: 11:04am On Aug 17, 2014
ehissi: When I see things like this, it reminds me of the battles that led to D formation of ANAN to D chagrin of ICAN which is even now seemingly more relevant than ICAN now. People may wonder how this relates to this issue, let's leave that for a different thread; what I find bizzarre is that the NMA isn't even trying to deny what D federal government said in its letter suspending this residency program; these are as follows:-

1.) That it had implemented up to 90% of what was required by NMA in its lists of demands.

2.) That D doctors where paid salaries as well as all allowances including hazard allowance in full even though they had sat at home for over a month (tell me what hazard can come out of sitting at home on strike) as a measure of good faith. Yet NMA didn't budge on D strike.

3.) Eminent persons where called in by the FG to negotiate on its behalf, yet NMA didn't budge. An excerpt from D suspension letter showing FG's represntatives and D pain of goverment.

"These personalities included the governor of Delta State, the secretary to the government of the federation, members of the National Assembly (especially the Senate and House committees on Heath), the head of the civil service of the federation, chairman of the National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission, the senior special assistant to the president on public affairs, the honourable ministers of health and labour and productivity, the honourable minister of state for health, presidents and registrars of the National Post-graduate Medical College of Nigeria, the West African College of Physicians and West African College of Surgeons, traditional rulers, eminent and senior members of the medical profession, as well as past executives of the NMA.
It should be stressed that the Federal Government has implemented more than 90 percent of its responsibilities as signed by both parties. At the conclusion of each meeting, the NMA promised to call off the strike but would renege." U see how confused NMA is?

4.) D last straw was its president, NMA of course. This is an excerpt on his resignation saga as contained in D
vanguard newspaper.

"FOLLOWING the confusion that trailed conflicting statements regarding the suspension of medical doctors’ 40-day strike, Dr Kayode Obembe has resigned as the national president of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA).

Obembe issued a statement on Thursday that the doctors had suspended the strike but he was countered by some officers of the NMA, who insisted that the industrial action was still on.

Dr Kayode Obembe
Reacting to the issue Friday, Obembe, in a statement he entitled: ‘Clarification,’ said: “There has been a request for clarification about the two postings from NMA secretariat on NMA blog. I want to make it categorically clear that I stand by every letter of the document I signed-‘that the strike was suspended.’
And since upon my integrity and honour, I cannot continue to drive the doctrine that ‘strike continues,’ I hereby tender my letter of resignation as NMA president. What I have written, I have written.” "

The past NMA president called off D strike in D wake of D ebola outbreak, NMA merchant doctors said no way so D president for D sake of his own integrity as a medical doctor resigned, NMA Merchant doctors say make them die if we don't get all we want and more. FG gives U 90% and even pays U full pay with hazard allowance isn't enough for U to stop D strike while negotiation goes on as to when D rest 10% go show. Greedy folks

This is enough to signify that D NMA has run outta control; despite the Presidential declaration of a National Public Health Emergency on Ebola Disease which had united the entire country in the efforts to contain the disease, the NMA who should take leadership role in the fight against Ebola disease is now the most unsupportive.

All efforts by Government to contain this disease are being frustrated by the continued industrial strike action of the NMA.

Also realise that govt simply suspended the program not scrap it. So for those who think its not possible constitutionally, think again. Buhari tried to scrap it in D 80% not suspend that D difference between what happened in D 80's and now.

I pray that this action by government will pave D way for other medical and life scientist to create a parallel bodies that will ensure D protection of lives because NMA is selling off its members as a bunch of merchant doctors who know nothing of the hippocrites oath.

One thing anyone who is willing to be frank will take away from this strike and other forms of industrial action by Labour unions is that they always strike about D conditions of service of their members and not D quality of service. D rationale being that when D condition of service of their member is improved automatically D quality of service will improve but this is false.

Labour Unions/Professional bodies will never strike nor suggest ways through ïndustrial actions that will improve quality of service because actual quality of service delivery is their responsiblity (Goodluck can only send what they need he won't administer it) and it will affect close to 75% of it members and that will pit them against their fellows. U will see even if government gives them all they want, D medical services of government won't improve and if U ask NMA that is calling itself a body of professionals they will still blame it on government as if president Jonathan or his wife are at fault inspite all D power and recognition they have from FG to make changes and recommendations all they want is less working hours and more money.

Let them be paying for it like D way law students pay for law school and let FG setup parallel bodies that will protect D interest of service delivery of others in D industry including D recipients of such service and FG should take D bull by D horns in handling it medical services that way Nigerian medical services in D country will improve. God bless Nigeria
Fortunately residency is not like law school,residents make up the bulk of the doctors workforce in teaching hospitals,they r not just training,they are working.
And there z no where in d world residents pay for residency.maybe in Pluto tho.
If FG is so trustworthy,why are they still on strike?why is ASUU trying to come bk on strike.This FG loves MOUs which they never implement.they signed MOUs in January nd NMA is still on strike because of d same issues.This FG can't be trusted,what NMA is saying is they should start implementing,show some seriousness,not stupid MOUs that ll eventually amount to nothing.
NMA has denied dese purported 90% implementation countless times,u don't expect them to put it every letter,do u
Bottomline is FG is unserious about this issue.

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by aztruth: 11:22am On Aug 17, 2014
drobadebayo:
Fortunately residency is not like law school,residents make up the bulk of the doctors workforce in teaching hospitals,they r not just training,they are working.
If FG is so trustworthy,why are they still on strike?why is ASUU trying to come bk on strike.This FG loves MOUs which they never implement.they signed MOUs in January nd NMA is still on strike because of d same issues.This FG can't be trusted,what NMA is saying is they should start implementing,show some seriousness,not stupid MOUs that ll eventually amount to nothing.
NMA has denied dese purported 90% implementation countless times,u don't expect them to put it every letter,do u

If government privatizes all the hospitals today, it
will be because of in house fighting and un
reasonable NMA demands. It is easier for gov to
sell all the hospitals than to answer your prayers
against your fellow workers who are not drs.
Even suspending residency is easier than the
demands NMA is making. FG is just trying to
follow the easier path!
re appraise your demands objectively and see if
FG will not answer you.
The problem is not the salary increment or
improved facilities that the FG is concern over, It
is the un reasonable request to subdue everyone
in the health sector who is not a Doctor
If ASUU had told FG that no one apart from its
members be promoted to the post of registrar,
they would still have been on strike or all the
universities privatized by now.
You Drs make demands even against court orders
like the issue of other health workers becoming
Consultants. You also want FG to take decision
on some other issues which are before competent
law courts or yet to be determined before a duely
appointed committee for the purpose thereof.
HOW DO YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE ALL THESE?
SURGEON GENERAL was thrown out in national
confab and if my memory serves me right even in
national Assembly yet you expect FG to
unilaterally appoint one even without the backing
of the law. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?
The nation assemblies accelerated the passage of
the National health bill because it wad one of
your demandS.
FG tells you they don't have money to pay all
your arrears as agreed in January ( even though i
think FG was not telling the truth) but they will
pay you for two months and then capture the rest
in next years budget.
FG says issue of MD and CMAC are already
before an adhoc committee, maintain status quo
pendin determination, JOHESU says OK, NMA
says no way!
NMA wants scheme of service altered to stop
others from becoming directors while allowing
them to start their carreers in civil Service on GL
13 step 3. Govt refers NMA to relevant schemes
of service.
I can go on analysing NMA DEMANDS and govt
Responses and solutions...........
FELLOW NIGERIANS, WHAT MORE SHOULD FG
DO?
what else.........

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by drobadebayo: 11:25am On Aug 17, 2014
Most people who have commented on the recent sack of the resident doctors by
President Jonathan do not understand how wrong he got it.
Firstly,the strike was not embarked upon by the Resident Doctors(governed under
NARD) but by the Nigerian Medical Association which happens to be the parent body of
all medical practitioners. The resident doctors in all Teaching Hospitals are the engine
room of the hospital,the Consultants are merely supervisors. The president should have
gone for the job of the consultants and M.O's who are the primarily the leaders of
NMA,not the residents. To illustrate,its like ASUU being on strike and the president
decides to sack only junior lecturers leaving the senior lecturers and profs that control
ASUU.
Secondly,since residency program was the reason why Teaching hospitals were
created,since the program has been suspended indefinitely it means that every
Teaching Hospital should also be shut down indefinitely.
Thirdly,this indefinite suspension also included House officers! What he doesn't know is
that house job is a compulsory one year program which every medical student MUST
undertake before he or she graduates fully to become a medical doctor. By doing
this,he has automatically suspended the graduation of all final year medical students
nationwide!

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by drobadebayo: 11:36am On Aug 17, 2014
NMA Strike, What Is The FG Doing To Reopen Our Hospitals

Every time the Minister of health is asked about the
strike
he'll say that 90% of NMA demands have been
met. No one
ever asks him to explain what 90% meant; some
circulars and
MoU. These are documents they offer you and turn
round to
contravene and debase. In January they offered
circulars
and MoU, we took them and called off threat of
strike, 7
months later the circulars were never implemented
and the
MoU have been desecrated by this same
government. Now
MoU and Circulars are no longer sacred
government
documents. We want commencement of
implementation. This
government lies a lot. Today they said they don't
have money
to implement but 6 months earlier when granting
the
circular we urged them to send supplementary
budget for it's
implementation. The government agents said our
business
was to do our work as they will pay from SERVICE
WIDE
VOTE. Who is fooling who? Isreal despite being in a
constant
war zone did not sack her doctors after 5 months
of strike.
All through this strike, doctors under NMA directive
have
always scrambled to take care of bomb blasts
victims in the
North. Several NGOs commended this gesture, did
your
government comment on these? People are
bamboozled into
thinking that all doctors are actually needed to
contain
ebola (which by the way this government stood by
and watch
fly into Nigeria). That’s cheap propaganda.All they
need are
infectious disease specialists and the public health
physicians.Ebola will also not be managed in
Teaching
Hospitals, we need quarantine centres. Not that
pako (raw
wood) mama-put structure at Mainland hospital
Lagos. After
N1.9b release all we have are wooden structures
no airflow
controlled tents. No citizen have asked government
questions on these. NMA have volunteered to send
necessary
specialists to the quarantine centres. Where are the
quarantine centres in your state? We don't need
Surgeons,
Gynaecologists, Dermatologist, etc for ebola
containment.
It's all cheap propaganda. Note that in this strike
NMA is
going for broke. We don’t care what Nigerians think
because
they are weak. People that worship those that
acquired
riches by stealing from them (Nigerians). We want
the health
sector privatised or order restored. People that set
up
Yayale Ahmed committee to study international
best
practices in health sector and make suggestions on
way
forward then turn around and undermine the same
committee, rendering their recommendations
useless before
they started (after spending so much to fund
it).Nigerians'
capacity for selective amnesia amazes me.Well, I
am always
consoled by the fact that every population only
gets the
leadership they deserve.

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by drobadebayo: 11:46am On Aug 17, 2014
aztruth:

If government privatizes all the hospitals today, it
will be because of in house fighting and un
reasonable NMA demands. It is easier for gov to
sell all the hospitals than to answer your prayers
against your fellow workers who are not drs.
Even suspending residency is easier than the
demands NMA is making. FG is just trying to
follow the easier path!
re appraise your demands objectively and see if
FG will not answer you.
The problem is not the salary increment or
improved facilities that the FG is concern over, It
is the un reasonable request to subdue everyone
in the health sector who is not a Doctor
If ASUU had told FG that no one apart from its
members be promoted to the post of registrar,
they would still have been on strike or all the
universities privatized by now.
You Drs make demands even against court orders
like the issue of other health workers becoming
Consultants. You also want FG to take decision
on some other issues which are before competent
law courts or yet to be determined before a duely
appointed committee for the purpose thereof.
HOW DO YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE ALL THESE?
SURGEON GENERAL was thrown out in national
confab and if my memory serves me right even in
national Assembly yet you expect FG to
unilaterally appoint one even without the backing
of the law. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?
The nation assemblies accelerated the passage of
the National health bill because it wad one of
your demandS.
FG tells you they don't have money to pay all
your arrears as agreed in January ( even though i
think FG was not telling the truth) but they will
pay you for two months and then capture the rest
in next years budget.
FG says issue of MD and CMAC are already
before an adhoc committee, maintain status quo
pendin determination, JOHESU says OK, NMA
says no way!
NMA wants scheme of service altered to stop
others from becoming directors while allowing
them to start their carreers in civil Service on GL
13 step 3. Govt refers NMA to relevant schemes
of service.
I can go on analysing NMA DEMANDS and govt
Responses and solutions...........
FELLOW NIGERIANS, WHAT MORE SHOULD FG
DO?
what else.........
Sir u said 90percent demands have been MET,yet u said FG will not answer NMAs demands,that it's easier to suspend residency than acceding to NMAs demands.
What a contradictory message.Are u a politician.
What u jst said means FG is politicising dis issue nd ur in FULL support.
"FG has met deir key demands but it's easier to suspend residency Dan meeting d demands,so it was suspended"

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by ehissi(m): 12:10pm On Aug 17, 2014
drobadebayo:

Let me guess!! NMA is serious by sitting at home while ebola is killing folks including one of their own, a female medical doctor who's parents are complaining that she has been left there to die due to lack of attention by who? Serious doctors of D NMA whose president resigned because he couldn't get serious doctors to work and save lives. Minister of health scraps residency all of a sudden doctors finally left home nd R on D streets asking for their jobs back. Guess where they took their protest to? NMA office, if it was a consensus agreement to strike shrbi they woould have gone to Ministry of health office to protest. Come and assist in this ebola menance them say Sam.

All it takes is brainstorming and one well rounded act of legislature. And doctors can be made to pay as well as sign an agreement that can get them barred from D practice is such crap like this repeats itself cause as far as I am concerned these folks R D most greedy, unpatriotic folks I know. My relations a good number of them R doctors, they want to work NMA is threatening them with sanction simply because of their greed. Let them stay at home. Pay for your residncy while consultants supervise or sit as Medical officers or better yet, go abroad and do residency and see how easy it is .......mstchew

Let them wait. Change is coMing.....

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by drobadebayo: 12:28pm On Aug 17, 2014
Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by drobadebayo: 12:36pm On Aug 17, 2014
[quote author=ehissi]
Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by drobadebayo: 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2014
ehissi:

Let me guess!! NMA is serious by sitting at home while ebola is killing folks including one of their own, a female medical doctor who's parents are complaining that she has been left there to die due to lack of attention by who? Serious doctors of D NMA whose president resigned because he couldn't get serious doctors to work and save lives. Minister of health scraps residency all of a sudden doctors finally left home nd R on D streets asking for their jobs back. Guess where they took their protest to? NMA office, if it was a consensus agreement to strike shrbi they woould have gone to Ministry of health office to protest. Come and assist in this ebola menance them say Sam.

All it takes is brainstorming and one well rounded act of legislature. And doctors can be made to pay as well as sign an agreement that can get them barred from D practice is such crap like this repeats itself cause as far as I am concerned these folks R D most greedy, unpatriotic folks I know. My relations a good number of them R doctors, they want to work NMA is threatening them with sanction simply because of their greed. Let them stay at home. Pay for your residncy while consultants supervise or sit as Medical officers or better yet, go abroad and do residency and see how easy it is .......mstchew

Let them wait. Change is coMing.....
In case ur not informed NMA is not sitting at home.They didn't sit during d bomb blasts nd dey r nt sitting now.if your govt is serious,things won't turn out dis way.We won't evn hv ebola to battle with.
U want them to troop into teaching hospitals for ebola?ebola is managed in a quarantine centre nd NMA is already supporting with that.All d doctors I know are in support of this strike.dunno about think residents ll pay for residency??biggest joke of the millennium!it shows u don't get wat residency is about.
M glad u said residency abroad is not easy abroad,but it's not impossible.med school is not easy,yet dey r doctors today.

3 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by aztruth: 7:47pm On Aug 17, 2014
drobadebayo:
Sir u said 90percent demands have been MET,yet u said FG will not answer NMAs demands,that it's easier to suspend residency than acceding to NMAs demands.
"FG has met deir key demands but it's easier to suspend residency Dan meeting d demands,so it was suspended"

you almost got me confused, had to go thru the post you quoted looking för where 90 percent appeared. No mention was made of 90 %!

I spoke of FG responses and solutions to the demands.

I have taken time trying to explain the issues that led up to FG suspending residency. FG just made the only feasible Choice they had in this whole health Crisis.

Let's all take a step back and look at this issues objectively. How did we ever get to this point? How can a govt suspend residency programme? The only reason could be if there was no other options. So, the next question would be; why were there no other options available? And truely there was no other option! Drs are more central to health care delivery and as a result seems to have a better bargaining power even with govt than others. This does not however mean that they can get anything thing they ask even when doing so would make the government Crush others who also have a part to play in any system that must work.

for example: JOHESU raises alarm and says the office of the CMAC has no legal framework and that the provision for the office of the CMD does not make it exclusive to Drs. [If JOHESU went on strike and said FG must remove all CMDs and CMACs because. ........ then you would be rest assured that the Strike would have been a very long one if not fatal as well bearing im mind the urgent need to return health care services to full functioning in the face of ebola at least from FG perspective]. FG refers the issues to a committee which is already working to bring harmony in the health sector. JOHESU says OK. NMA wakes up and declares strike and one öf the conditions being that the post of the CMD must remain theirs and that govt must issue a circular to that effect. Also govt must not abolish the office of the CMAC but instead of just one CMAC govt must increase the number of CMACs to three or four depending on the hospital and should immediately issue circulars to that effect. These are issues pending before an ad hoc committee already, FG tell NMA. NMA says no and insists on strike.
I can take these issues and analyse them one after the other and you will see why FG painfully had to thread this un popular path.

NMA also wants govt to overturn court decisions on the award of consultancy to health professionals other than Drs. How do you intend on achieving that?......................... IF YOU WERE GEJ WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

BESIDES FG IS SUSPENDING NOT ABOLISHING RESIDENCY ....... AND I THINK YOU GUYS WILL BE RECALLED.........HOW SOON IS WHAT I DON'T KNOW

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by aztruth: 7:48pm On Aug 17, 2014
drobadebayo:
Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by aztruth: 7:59pm On Aug 17, 2014
drobadebayo: Most people who have commented on the recent sack of the resident doctors by
President Jonathan do not understand how wrong he got it.
Firstly,the strike was not embarked upon by the Resident Doctors(governed under
NARD) but by the Nigerian Medical Association which happens to be the parent body of
all medical practitioners. The resident doctors in all Teaching Hospitals are the engine
room of the hospital,the Consultants are merely supervisors. The president should have
gone for the job of the consultants and M.O's who are the primarily the leaders of
NMA,not the residents. To illustrate,its like ASUU being on strike and the president
decides to sack only junior lecturers leaving the senior lecturers and profs that control
ASUU.
Secondly,since residency program was the reason why Teaching hospitals were
created,since the program has been suspended indefinitely it means that every
Teaching Hospital should also be shut down indefinitely.
Thirdly,this indefinite suspension also included House officers! What he doesn't know is
that house job is a compulsory one year program which every medical student MUST
undertake before he or she graduates fully to become a medical doctor. By doing
this,he has automatically suspended the graduation of all final year medical students
nationwide!

House Drs programme has not been suspended.

There has been rumours for quite a while before residency suspension that it was resident doctors that were preventing NMA from calling off the strike. Some residents even said if NMA calls off the strike residents will still continue with the strike. Guess the FG heard the rumours too! THAT'S WHY AM GUESSING RESIDENT DOCTORS GOT THE AX. WHICH ALSO LEAVES A POSSIBLE INSINUATION, NMA SOLD NARD TO FG IN SOME WAY.

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by drobadebayo: 8:29pm On Aug 17, 2014
aztruth:

House Drs programme has not been suspended.

There has been rumours for quite a while before residency suspension that it was resident doctors that were preventing NMA from calling off the strike. Some residents even said if NMA calls off the strike residents will still continue with the strike. Guess the FG heard the rumours too! THAT'S WHY AM GUESSING RESIDENT DOCTORS GOT THE AX. WHICH ALSO LEAVES A POSSIBLE INSINUATION, NMA SOLD NARD TO FG IN SOME WAY.
M glad u said rumours.But they r totally false.NMA didn't sell NARD out in fact they r fully backing them.
Residents got d axe because FG was desperate to divide NMA,which is not going to happen.FGs move unfortunately won't end the strike,it will further prolong it.
Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by drobadebayo: 8:38pm On Aug 17, 2014
aztruth:

you almost got me confused, had to go thru the post you quoted looking för where 90 percent appeared. No mention was made of 90 %!

I spoke of FG responses and solutions to the demands.

I have taken time trying to explain the issues that led up to FG suspending residency. FG just made the only feasible Choice they had in this whole health Crisis.

Let's all take a step back and look at this issues objectively. How did we ever get to this point? How can a govt suspend residency programme? The only reason could be if there was no other options. So, the next question would be; why were there no other options available? And truely there was no other option! Drs are more central to health care delivery and as a result seems to have a better bargaining power even with govt than others. This does not however mean that they can get anything thing they ask even when doing so would make the government Crush others who also have a part to play in any system that must work.

for example: JOHESU raises alarm and says the office of the CMAC has no legal framework and that the provision for the office of the CMD does not make it exclusive to Drs. [If JOHESU went on strike and said FG must remove all CMDs and CMACs because. ........ then you would be rest assured that the Strike would have been a very long one if not fatal as well bearing im mind the urgent need to return health care services to full functioning in the face of ebola at least from FG perspective]. FG refers the issues to a committee which is already working to bring harmony in the health sector. JOHESU says OK. NMA wakes up and declares strike and one öf the conditions being that the post of the CMD must remain theirs and that govt must issue a circular to that effect. Also govt must not abolish the office of the CMAC but instead of just one CMAC govt must increase the number of CMACs to three or four depending on the hospital and should immediately issue circulars to that effect. These are issues pending before an ad hoc committee already, FG tell NMA. NMA says no and insists on strike.
I can take these issues and analyse them one after the other and you will see why FG painfully had to thread this un popular path.

NMA also wants govt to overturn court decisions on the award of consultancy to health professionals other than Drs. How do you intend on achieving that?......................... IF YOU WERE GEJ WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

BESIDES FG IS SUSPENDING NOT ABOLISHING RESIDENCY ....... AND I THINK YOU GUYS WILL BE RECALLED.........HOW SOON IS WHAT I DON'T KNOW

Are u speaking of the committee which it's chairman resigned because of lack of funds and commitment on FGs side?this committee failed as soon as it started.FG should stop playing both Johesu nd NMA nd solve this thing at once.if they acceed to NMAs demands today,johesu ll embark on another strike and FG ll start issuing MOUs again as usual.If FG is serious it should find a lasting solution to this issue.

3 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by aztruth: 11:33pm On Aug 17, 2014
drobadebayo:
Are u speaking of the committee which it's chairman resigned because of lack of funds and commitment on FGs side?this committee failed as soon as it started.FG should stop playing both Johesu nd NMA nd solve this thing at once.if they acceed to NMAs demands today,johesu ll embark on another strike and FG ll start issuing MOUs again as usual.If FG is serious it should find a lasting solution to this issue.

The committee was recalled ( i think around end of last year) and it's been funded. Their most recent activity was an PROPOSED travelling to developed nations to study their health care systems not sure if it's on right now though

I sometimes also think FG is enjoying what is happening in the health sector. No body gets to get anything because johesu and nma are fighting and FG gains!

I for one don't believe the no money stuff FG is telling NMA.

FG may just keep posting until after election then who cares since it is not going to spoil anything.

Anything not gotten before election. .......................
Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by thaqib(m): 6:25pm On Aug 18, 2014
ehissi: When I see things like this, it reminds me of the battles that led to D formation of ANAN to D chagrin of ICAN which is even now seemingly more relevant than ICAN now. People may wonder how this relates to this issue, let's leave that for a different thread; what I find bizzarre is that the NMA isn't even trying to deny what D federal government said in its letter suspending this residency program; these are as follows:-

vanguard newspaper.

Dr Kayode Obembe

. Excellent epistle but full of misinformation . U seem 2 sit on the other side of the wall defending the government
Lemme address part of the issues u raised;
Who tells you govenment has met 90pcent of NMA demands. Common reasoning and recurrent happenings in labour strifes would tell u government is deceitful in its dealings. A MOU was signed in january concerning relatively in renumerations of doctor. Hope you know part of this strike is caused by failure of the government 2 honour d contents. Once you turn your back, the government agents go back 2 their beer parlour . At the delegates meeting, some of the purported circulars sent do not even bear a letter head.it appeared as though they were quickly typed that morning. U would be surprized 2 hear that
Other Civil servants embark on strike and their salaries and allowances are paid. It is called salary, not wages. Otherwise you shouldn't get salary while on leave. It is hypocritic of the government claiming it is magnanimous by paying salary and stating the elements that made ^ the salary viz hazards,teaching allowances etc.
U sounded chidish asking what hazards a striking doctor is entitled 2. The ASUU lecturers also collect salary( including hazards) while on strike. Clear
The government inviting eminent personalities 2 wade into this impasse is purely political. It should simply do the needful, no story
I implore you 2 check international best practices as regard health and see hoe distant we are. Government fund health, not corner all the fund in their private pocket like our politician
Finally, this decision is foolish and not in the interest of the masses. If you know half of what I know about medical practice in Nigeria, you would shed tears for nigerian
Eventually the government would recall the doctors as but this impasse would have become unneccessarily protracted.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by thaqib(m): 6:25pm On Aug 18, 2014

vanguard newspaper.

Dr Kayode Obembe

. Excellent epistle but full of misinformation . U seem 2 sit on the other side of the wall defending the government
Lemme address part of the issues u raised;
Who tells you govenment has met 90pcent of NMA demands. Common reasoning and recurrent happenings in labour strifes would tell u government is deceitful in its dealings. A MOU was signed in january concerning relatively in renumerations of doctor. Hope you know part of this strike is caused by failure of the government 2 honour d contents. Once you turn your back, the government agents go back 2 their beer parlour . At the delegates meeting, some of the purported circulars sent do not even bear a letter head.it appeared as though they were quickly typed that morning. U would be surprized 2 hear that
Other Civil servants embark on strike and their salaries and allowances are paid. It is called salary, not wages. Otherwise you shouldn't get salary while on leave. It is hypocritic of the government claiming it is magnanimous by paying salary and stating the elements that made ^ the salary viz hazards,teaching allowances etc.
U sounded chidish asking what hazards a striking doctor is entitled 2. The ASUU lecturers also collect salary( including hazards) while on strike. Clear
The government inviting eminent personalities 2 wade into this impasse is purely political. It should simply do the needful, no story
I implore you 2 check international best practices as regard health and see hoe distant we are. Government fund health, not corner all the fund in their private pocket like our politician
Finally, this decision is foolish and not in the interest of the masses. If you know half of what I know about medical practice in Nigeria, you would shed tears for nigerian
Eventually the government would recall the doctors but this impasse would have become unneccessarily protracted.
Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by drobadebayo: 10:43pm On Aug 18, 2014
A GOVERNMENT THAT CANNOT BE TRUSTED

Now,let us critically examine some of the claims of the government against doctors .The government said that they have addressed more than 90% of doctors' demands. My knowledge of mathematics thought me that 90% of 24 will be 21.6,which is approximately 22. Now,adding the term ' MORE ', that means the government has met up with the 24 demands of doctors since the difference between 24 and 22 is just 2,which is infinitesimal. Let the government show us how they arrived at their own 90% since all these demands were published on the pages of our national newspapers.

It is quite regrettable that doctors are dealing with a government that is vacillating that cannot be trusted. Imagine a scenario where the government will issue a circular to doctors in the morning and in the afternoon the same government will issue a conflicting circular to JOHESU and when doctors protest,another circular will be issued to doctors in the evening and this cycle continues. My friend derisively suggested that,'it is like this federal government carries the circular in their cars etc and when there is any need,they will edit them and issue out.'

Remember that NMA wanted to embark on a nationwide strike early January this year but this same government pleaded that six months be given to them that they were going to address the doctors' demands but what did we see at the end? It is still the same government that came out to challenge NMA for a public debate to be presided over by our mostly uninformed Nigerian public,who are the real victims of the ongoing strike. As the lawyers will always say,'No one will be judge over his own case or a case one has interest in.' That is one of the principles of natural law,Nemo iudex in causa sua,but our honourable minister for health never considered that when he challenged doctors to a 'duel' so that the uninformed(or do I say,misinformed) victims of the strike will preside over the contest. What another error in reasoning? In view of the above,believe you me, this same government will still disappoint the lecturers in our colleges of education and polytechnics who suspended their strike in order to give the new minister for education time to study their demands. These Nigerian masses that the government and their JOHESU close friends have made to believe that Nigerian doctors are cruel,insensitive,wicked,inconsiderate etc will eventually be the final recipients of this power politics,if not now then later.

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Residency Training!! by samnijazz: 7:30am On Aug 25, 2014
is it only hamzat suit?.lol
dBard:

well...there is.....
Spacemen with thermometers

..n d populace expects d Drs to go to modern warfare carrying dane guns.
Abi we shld also use sanitizers like every oda layman?

shey..d F.G has declared Ebola a national emergency, why hasn't NEMA uptill now implemented, nationwide, d emergency protocols? ?

Jokers

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Cancer Prevention: Breastfeed Your Babies Not Men – Expert Warns Women / Kogi Reports Two COVID-19 Cases As Nigeria Records Highest Daily Figure / Between Federal Medical Center And Teaching Hospital, Which Is Higher Ranked??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 229
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.