Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,407 members, 7,808,449 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com (17953 Views)

New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com / Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 06, 2014
Ihuomadinihu: This thread is for people that are interested in the igbo/bantu linguistic connection...it is interesting to note that Igbo language share linguistic similarities with some Bantu and bantu related languages.
One forumite rather called for a cursive study of neighbouring ''Bantu related languages'',and here is my contribution.
An Igbo name for God is Obasi.
Yako(Bantu) - Ubasi.
Ekoi(Bantu like) - Nsi.
Duala(coastal bantu) - Ebasi.
Bamileke(Semi bantu) - Si and Owasi.
Bambuti(Bantu) -Baatsi.
Ibibio(Bantu like) -Abasi.
It seems like the operating rootword here is ''Si''

Source: https://www.nairaland.com/1890515/re-bantu-benue-congo-igbo-relationship

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 5:43pm On Sep 06, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
I agree with you,Igbos are not fighting to associate themselves with any glorious empire,we just wanna know who we are and what we are made up of(ethnic composition). While we are proud igbos,we also acknowlegde cultural and ethnic plurality amongst us. This Bantu stuff is not even a relevant topic amongst Igbos, it is even offensive to call igbos a bantu tribe. Bantu reeks of uncivilization amongst most blacks. That we wanna find about the possibility of igbo/bantu relationship does not mean we wanna claim bantu. Smh.
repeat after me, Bantu reeks of uncivilization among my folks and kins because we are uneducated. i challenge to show or prove me what makes Bantu uncivilized? sometimes it is better to keep quiet when you have nothing to say..
furthermore Igbo have every right to claim Bantu as they are part of the Bantu race, just that the relations with their aliens neighbors made them create a new identity a kind of mixture with Bantu and alins, whatever the case may be, Igbo are def Bantu
however the influence was exaggerated by the Op
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by macof(m): 6:23pm On Sep 06, 2014
Abagworo: Igbos are semi-bantu. The term "Bantu" is widespread as word for "mankind" or "people" which in Igbo is "madu". At least the similarity is clear and becomes even clearer when applied with Akpo dialect of Ikwerre which is "Bandu" for "mankind". Some other variations are "Manu", "Vadu" and "Nmadu".

And no expert would imply such based on these
Efik-ibibio as semi-bantu yes, ogoni as semi-bantu very likely but come on saying Igbo is laughable.
Igbo have more in common with Igala-Idoma, Yoruba and Edo speaking people both linguistically and culturally than any other group outside Nigeria

You need to come up with more, everybody would except it only if you come up with clear pointers otherwise we can as well say Igbo are of Chinese ancestry
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by macof(m): 6:25pm On Sep 06, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
I know am not the only one that is tired of this thread,but we wanna have a decent discussion or even smart argument. Why can't Igbos be bantus? Uptill now,you have no solid evidence. I find it downright insultive that you consider my inputs 'trolling'. If you feel distrubed you can just walk out of here without snide remarks. I believe we are here to learn,that i quote you does not mean it should swell your head.

No reasonable person would conclude that Igbo are Bantu Because there's no proof

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Ihuomadinihu: 6:59pm On Sep 06, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: repeat after me, Bantu reeks of uncivilization among my folks and kins because we are uneducated. i challenge to show or prove me what makes Bantu uncivilized? sometimes it is better to keep quiet when you have nothing to say..
furthermore Igbo have every right to claim Bantu as they are part of the Bantu race, just that the relations with their aliens neighbors made them create a new identity a kind of mixture with Bantu and alins, whatever the case may be, Igbo are def Bantu
however the influence was exaggerated by the Op
You can't ask me to shut up when i have solid evidence to back up by claims.
Now shut up and listen/read this.
During the Apartheid stuff in South Africa,racist used the word bantu to refer to victims of Apartheid. During/shortly after this period ,blacks/Africans disassociated themselves from the word. It almost became an offensive word just like the word 'Negro' .Linguistics has snice enlightened us on the meaning of Bantu. It is a linguistic group not necessarily an ethnicity.
What is alien neighbour?
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Ihuomadinihu: 7:04pm On Sep 06, 2014
macof:

No reasonable person would conclude that Igbo are Bantu Because there's no proof
That was a rhetoric question subject to further examination.
Maybe we are waiting for some Western Linguist to prove it,lol.
We are only look for similarities bwt igbo and bantu,cos we believe bantu slightly influenced igbo.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 7:06pm On Sep 06, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
During the Apartheid stuff in South Africa,racist used the word bantu to refer to victims of Apartheid. During/shortly after this period ,blacks/Africans disassociated themselves from the word. It almost became an offensive word just like the word 'Negro' .Linguistics has snice enlightened us on the meaning of Bantu. It is a linguistic group not necessarily an ethnicity.
What is alien neighbour?

my friend shut up, you said i quote, among black people bantu reeks of uncivilization, now you quote the way white used the word Bantu during the apartheid regime in SA? are u mad? Bantu has never been an offensive word in Cameroon, kenya, uganda, congo(both) etcso what are you talking about? furthermore that some racist folks use it as an insult or whatever does not mean it is, now show methe so called bantu uncivilization while the same white cll the Bantu civilization one of the greatest of Africa? from kongo Kingdom, to zimbabwe, zulu monotapa rtc.if anything Bantu actually civilized 3/5 of the whole continent (central east and southern)

Bantu is a race
i really need to make a thread abou Bantu this has to stop shocked shocked shocked calling the biggest African grop i=uncivilized? nigga what do you smoke? shocked
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 7:06pm On Sep 06, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
What is alien neighbour?

alien are non Bantu
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Ihuomadinihu: 7:12pm On Sep 06, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

my friend shut up, you said i quote, among black people bantu reeks of uncivilization, now you quote the way white used the word Bantu during the apartheid regime in SA? are u mad? Bantu has never been an offensive word in Cameroon, kenya, uganda, congo(both) etcso what are you talking about? furthermore that some racist folks use it as an insult or whatever does not mean it is, now show methe so called bantu uncivilization while the same white cll the Bantu civilization one of the greatest of Africa? from kongo Kingdom, to zimbabwe, zulu monotapa rtc.if anything Bantu actually civilized 3/5 of the whole continent (central east and southern)

Bantu is a race
i really need to make a thread abou Bantu this has to stop shocked shocked shocked calling the biggest African grop i=uncivilized? nigga what do you smoke? shocked
Lol,pls be civil!
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 06, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
Bantu is a race
Your statement is correct. The Proto/Original/Aboriginal Bantus that started Bantu civilization by exporting aspects of their culture, knowledge and language to other Central/Southern African groups and largely assimilating with them is a race/ethnic group (The Igbos). Today what people call Bantu are the remnants/results of that cultural exchange all over Central and Southern Africa, numbering in the millions and covering entire countries. The present day Bantus are a language group that remains from that exchange, while the Igbos are the Proto Bantus. The Igbos are great!
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by macof(m): 7:39pm On Sep 06, 2014
TonySpike: As a digression, could there be link to Bini too. Bini say "Mina" to mean "Me" and the Zulu use the same word also.

I read once that Oba Ewuare went to Congo could be a connection if there's any truth in that
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by macof(m): 7:41pm On Sep 06, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
That was a rhetoric question subject to further examination.
Maybe we are waiting for some Western Linguist to prove it,lol.
We are only look for similarities bwt igbo and bantu,cos we believe bantu slightly influenced igbo.
I've been away for.long I just realized the argument has gone past Igbo being bantus
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by macof(m): 7:54pm On Sep 06, 2014
igbodefender:
Your statement is correct. The Proto/Original/Aboriginal Bantus that started Bantu civilization by exporting aspects of their culture, knowledge and language to other Central/Southern African groups and largely assimilating with them is a race/ethnic group (The Igbos). Today what people call Bantu are the remnants/results of that cultural exchange all over Central and Southern Africa, numbering in the millions and covering entire countries. The present day Bantus are a language group that remains from that exchange, while the Igbos are the Proto Bantus. The Igbos are great!
Nawa o undecided

Btw aren't you one of them that claims Igbos are Jews?
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by TonySpike: 8:01pm On Sep 06, 2014
igbodefender:

Dude, you are getting it all wrong. From the previous contributions, it is obvious that Igbos aren't proto-Bantu. Let me tell you about the real proto-Bantus and their ancestors. They once occupied a large swathe of areas around Upper Egypt/Sudan (sometimes called Misri) in ancient times. Sometime between 1000 BC and 500 BC, they started moving away in large numbers from their ancestral lands. At this point, it is believed that they split into two major clusters. Some Westerly towards the modern Nigerian/Cameroun border and others easterly towards Central Africa proper. The group that split Westwards are suspected to have used Lake Chad to navigate. Lake Chad was at least 15 times its current area back then! The group that moved towards Nigeria and Cameroun are believed to have sojourned a little while till they later decided to continue their journey Southwards.

It might interest you to know that the original Pro-Bantus mainly left their lands because of security, need for more space, impending war and need for greener pastures. Finally, it is also worth mentioning that most, if not all, Bantu groups used cows as a means of monetary exchange in the ancient times. Hence, a number of Bantu groups are traditional owners of cattle herds. Cow herding Isn't Common among Igbos, hence, this leaves a big gap in your theory. Like i said earlier, a very tiny Bantu group might have veered into Igboland, hence the, similarities we are seeing today.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Ihuomadinihu: 8:10pm On Sep 06, 2014
TonySpike:

Dude, you are getting it all wrong. From the previous contributions, it is obvious that Igbos aren't proto-Bantu. Let me tell you about the real proto-Bantus and their ancestors. They once occupied a large swathe of areas around Upper Egypt/Sudan (sometimes called Misri) in ancient times. Sometime between 1000 BC and 500 BC, they started moving away in large numbers from their ancestral lands. At this point, it is believed that they split into two major clusters. Some Westerly towards the modern Nigerian/Cameroun border and others easterly towards Central Africa proper. The group that split Westwards are suspected to have used Lake Chad to navigate. Lake Chad was at least 15 times its current area back then! The group that moved towards Nigeria and Cameroun are believed to have sojourned a little while till they later decided to continue their journey Southwards.

It might interest you to know that the original Pro-Bantus mainly left their lands because of security, need for more space, impending war and need for greener pastures. Finally, it is also worth mentioning that most, if not all, Bantu groups used cows as a means of monetary exchange in the ancient times. Hence, a number of Bantu groups are traditional owners of cattle herds. Cow herding Isn't Common among Igbos, hence, this leaves a big gap in your theory. Like i said earlier, a very tiny Bantu group might have veered into Igboland, hence the, similarities we are seeing today.
I thought about this too. Eastern Nigerian/Cameron axis seems to be a dispersal centre and not really the original homestead of the bantus.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by TonySpike: 8:14pm On Sep 06, 2014
macof:

I read once that Oba Ewuare went to Congo could be a connection if there's any truth in that

Somehow, there is a link but I don't know what it is. Interesting angle you've got there...
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 8:32pm On Sep 06, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
Lol,pls be civil!

So calling people uncivilized is what they call being civil in.your village?
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 06, 2014
TonySpike:
My Friend, You are talking about the Nubians not the Bantus. The Igbos are of partial Nubian stock, having clearly come from the Canaan-Egypt-Sudan area you referred to - a few pages ago on this thread I referred to the Igbos as a Judeo-Nubian people - but what happened after they settled in their present homeland Igboland in West Africa? Like Ihuomadinihu rightly suspects, the Proto Bantus dispersed from there, not as Nubians, but as Igbos to Central and Southern Africa. So if a sizable part of the Igbos are descended from the Nubian population of Egypt-Sudan, why wont the Bantus share some 'Neo Nubian' characteristics? The Igbos came from somewhere na.
P.S. You need to read the book Equianoism.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Ihuomadinihu: 11:16pm On Sep 06, 2014
The Eastern Nigerian/Cameron Bantu origin might just be a hypothesis afterall.
Well,insufficient materials and poor documentation has really affected research efforts on African history.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:01am On Sep 09, 2014
igbodefender:

1- I believe Igbo are great people the pre civil war era is there for us to see ..kudos to Igbos

2- pre colonial era and during the colonial era, Igbo were not so much advanced to b the one who powered the Bantu civilization , to cut short Igbo were just an average Bantu clan which swallowed too much aliens and aliens culture

3- I'm against the proto Bantu terminology, as once you are something you don't stop being that thing, Igbo are Bantu not proto or semi ,unfortunately the Igbo have been exposed to aliens culture(west af)
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:18am On Sep 09, 2014
Why are you misleading my Igbo people?

1- Bantu were never cattle rear that's a lie from the pit of he'll, we were mostly farmers , great farmers, the first to use metal tools in African(iron, bronze etc) , and Igbo too are mostly farmers. Some Bantu started practicing cattle rearing when we were civilizing the nilotes ,and most of those cattle rearers are not pure Bantu they are heavily mixed with nilotics and mostly found in east Africa(Tutsi , bayankole)

2- Bantu were and are still the most powerful Africans, due to their number and technology advantage, so your theory about us being pressured by any aliens or savages does not make sense, if yes give me the name of that so called group which chased us away from our ancestral home? Tufiakwa, I challenge you to name it and tell us what happened where did they take courage and power to chase the great Bantu race?
If anything Bantu started emigrating because of farming land scarcity (which proves we are and were farmers) p, the Bantu race use clans formation to spread, elders male are asked to for new clans hence the migrations

3- we have no connection with upper Egypt or lower Egypt, we are a different civilization and our migrations at least the first recorded did start in alaigbo-Cameroon axis , what you are doing is vomiting opinions, the facts are there

I wish I was on my computer, there
Are no few similarities, the similarities are a lot I will ask the Igbo here to learn about sawa, bayanghi, oku etc in Cameroon you gon b amazed

5- this is ridiculous , we had kingdoms and this dude is talking about exchanging cows ? People who worked iron and other metals ? Who were mining ? There is no one whom rear cattle in all of southern Cameroon so oga tell me how we used to trade? Duh in case you didn't know we used iron bars and not cows or whatever at least for the Beti people
TonySpike:

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:26am On Sep 09, 2014
What about aro confederacy ? Tho I don't buy all the stuffs about it

It is said that the confederacy went as far as actual littoral region in cameroon, so you people championing the are confederacy and you all tracing your Igbo ancestry to aro are now telling me that Igbo were in a confederacy with strangers? undecided undecided and that they never mixed ..lmaoooo

Your pick it's either the confederation is a fabricated lie or igbo are def Bantu or heavily mixed with Bantu

Why you didn't form it with Ijo edo yorouba ?
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
iwonbaoko:
Those are ALL misspellings. The correct spelling is "Omo" as any Edo or Yoruba child knows
The theory of Language evolution is false

e.g

This is a sample of English as spoken in the middle ages

Forrþrihht anan se time comm
þatt ure Drihhtin wollde
ben borenn i þiss middellærd
forr all mannkinne nede
he chæs himm sone kinnessmenn
all swillke summ he wollde
and whær he wollde borenn ben
he chæs all att hiss wille.

This is an even earlier sample

Cnut cyning gret his arcebiscopas and his leod-biscopas and Þurcyl eorl and ealle his eorlas and ealne his þeodscype, twelfhynde and twyhynde, gehadode and læwede, on Englalande freondlice.

TRANSLATION
Cnut, king, greets his archbishops and his lede'(people's)'-bishops and Thorkell, earl, and all his earls and all his peopleship, greater (having a 1200 shilling weregild) and lesser (200 shilling weregild), hooded(ordained to priesthood) and lewd(lay), in England friendly.`

.Ic nam me to gemynde þa gewritu and þa word, þe se arcebiscop Lyfing me fram þam papan brohte of Rome, þæt ic scolde æghwær godes lof upp aræran and unriht alecgan and full frið wyrcean be ðære mihte, þe me god syllan wolde.

Translation

I nam(took) me to mind the writs and the word that the Archbishop Lyfing me from the Pope brought of Rome, that I should ayewhere(everywhere) God's love(praise) uprear(promote), and unright(outlaw) lies, and full frith(peace) work(bring about) by the might that me God would(wished) [to] sell'(give).

Here is an oral performance of old english

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29v_adW9dn0
Cædmon's Hymn
nu scylun hergan hefaenricaes uard
metudæs maecti end his modgidanc
uerc uuldurfadur swe he uundra gihwaes
eci dryctin or astelidæ
he aerist scop aelda barnum
heben til hrofe haleg scepen.
tha middungeard moncynnæs uard
eci dryctin æfter tiadæ
firum foldu frea allmectig

This illustrates that we cannot make any assumptions about origin from the present appearance of language which merely reflect the most recent influences;
In English this is very strongly Latin as seen in words like ;library,lavatory,extend, etc. Few will suggest from a cursory study that English is a Germanic language

The idea that languages have a single ancestor is simplistic especially in such an ethnically crowded space as Eastern Nigeria. More likely is that all kinds of cross fertilizations took place and it would be naive to assume that all who now speak the same language are kinsmen or the converse. Language is more a reflection of cultural diet than cultural ancestry. e.g after less than 100 years many Nigerian children cannot speak their mother tongues preferring a NEW variant of English that is not readily intelligible to English folk
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by somegirl1: 2:08pm On Sep 12, 2014
igbodefender:
Can those skeptical about Igbos being the aboriginal Bantus who contributed so much to Bantu civilization here explain why Bantu countries like Zimbabwe and Malawi have several names that share the 'Chi' prefix common in Igbo language? For instance Chinamasa (sounds like the Igbo name Chinasa) is a popular Zimbabwean name. Other Southern African names that share the 'Chi' prefix include' Chibundu' (sounds like the Igbo name Chinwendu) and Chikwemba.

PS: I'm sure if I didn't tell you these were Southern African names, you would think they were Igbo names. Don lie.

Source: [url]http://www.igbodefender.com/the-prevalence-of-chi-prefix-in-malawian-names-proves-igbos-were-earliest-bantus/
[/url]
Source: http://www.igbodefender.com/presence-of-chi-in-zimbabwean-names-prooves-igbos-were-earliest-bantus/

This similar sounding names issue has been over-flogged.
Unless they mean the same or similar things in Igbo and Bantu languages, that argument holds no water. Chi isn't even God or guardian spirit in Bantoid languages.

Sochi is a Russian City and could actually mean different things in Igbo language depending on how it's pronounced. "Ch" is a Russian phoneme. Does this make Igbo and Russian related languages?

Any two languages can be argued to be related by cleverly selecting few words thAt seem/ sound alike when used out of context.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 12, 2014
The Igbo word for child is Nwata (plural is Umu); The[b] Venda and Tsonga[/b] word for child is Nwana. The Zulu word for child is (um)twana; and some people will say Igbos are not the Proto Bantus. I just they laugh. Source: [url]Igbodefender.com[/url]
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 12, 2014
@ Doubters
Please try to watch the Venda film Nwana O Ngalangala ( meaning The Child Has Disappeared shocked smiley) its a Venda film you can download here www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep4DYiQLasg
Let us tell you a little more about Venda. It is one of the official languages in South Africa. As we say at [url]Igbodefender.com[/url], Igbo socio-cultural/ socio economic influence from years ago can be felt right down to the Southern tip of Africa. We are proud of the Zulus and other Bantu groups because we see ourselves in them.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 12, 2014
Please note that Nwata is the Igbo word for Child. So can any skeptic tell me how the word jumped there?
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Ihuomadinihu: 9:37pm On Sep 12, 2014
somegirl1:

Unless they mean the same or similar things in Igbo and Bantu languages, that argument holds no water. Chi isn't even God or guardian spirit in Bantoid languages.

Sochi is a Russian City and could actually mean different things in Igbo language depending on how it's pronounced. "Ch" is a Russian phoneme. Does this make Igbo and Russian related languages?

Any two languages can be argued to be related by cleverly selecting few words thAt seem/ sound alike when used out of context.
I thought it was about the 'Chi' prefix in Igbo and Bantu languages(names),not Sochi or whatever.
Besides,we are interested in the similar rootword for Child/Man in Igbo and Bantu languages.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Ihuomadinihu: 9:59pm On Sep 12, 2014
somegirl1:

There is no specific name for God in Bantu languages,so your assumption is wrong.
Ubasi is God in Yako.
Erioba is God in Kisii(Uganda).
Chi/Chukwu/Obasi - Igbo.
Njoku - yam god in ancient Igbo.
Jok is God in Acholi(Sudan).
Chikwembu is God in a Southern African tribe.
Apart from Igbo,the rest are Bantu languages.
Ku is mostly a rootword for domestic fowls in Bantu languages,
Fowl is Kuku in Swahili.
Nkuku in Zambesi.
Nkogo/Nsusu in Congo.
Inkuku in Zulu.
Okuko in Igbo. Etc.
Apart from Igbo the rest are Bantu.
While Igbo is not classified as Bantu,it will interest you to know that the Bantu origin is still tagged a hypothesis. Another account of Bantu origin stems from the Nile-valley area esp Misiri(Egypt).
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by macof(m): 9:59pm On Sep 12, 2014
Igbodefender stop this rubbish. You think u trying to uplift your ethnicity but you making it open for mockery.

all African groups are related, but our relationship ends somewhere...Igbo are Volta Niger, Bantu are Benue-Congo
the only known link of Igbo with Benue congo people are the Ibibio/ekoi/efik people
words sounding Bantu-like would be found in Igbo land of course, especially those close to the cross river people

All Africans are related regardless that languages can always been linked by small small words to push a silly propaganda.
"yini" "kini" "gini" = zulu/Yoruba/Igbo
Zulu/Yoruba
Kubi/ibi(ubi in some dialects)= evil
Mina/ emi,mi = me

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by somegirl1: 11:57pm On Sep 12, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
There is no specific name for God in Bantu languages,so your assumption is wrong.
Ubasi is God in Yako.
Erioba is God in Kisii(Uganda).
Chi/Chukwu/Obasi - Igbo.
Njoku - yam god in ancient Igbo.
Jok is God in Acholi(Sudan).
Chikwembu is God in a Southern African tribe.
Apart from Igbo,the rest are Bantu languages.
Ku is mostly a rootword for domestic fowls in Bantu languages,
Fowl is Kuku in Swahili.
Nkuku in Zambesi.
Nkogo/Nsusu in Congo.
Inkuku in Zulu.
Okuko in Igbo. Etc.
Apart from Igbo the rest are Bantu.
While Igbo is not classified as Bantu,it will interest you to know that the Bantu origin is still tagged a hypothesis. Another account of Bantu origin stems from the Nile-valley area esp Misiri(Egypt).

As stated in an earlier post, Obasi isn't God across Igbo land. I thought it was Efik/ Ibibio the first time I heard it. It's not used in my part(s) of Igbo land.

The emboldened bits can be used to argue that Yoruba is also a bantoid language. Akuko is fowl in Yoruba, and has the "ku rootword". I could also play around with Erioba as you've done with some words and claim the Oba part establishes a relationship between the two languages. Give it a rest already. Why can't we just be Igbo, no far-fetched affinities.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Ihuomadinihu: 7:47am On Sep 13, 2014
somegirl1:

As stated in an earlier post, Obasi isn't God across Igbo land. I thought it was Efik/ Ibibio the first time I heard it. It's not used in my part(s) of Igbo land.

The emboldened bits can be used to argue that Yoruba is also a bantoid language. Akuko is fowl in Yoruba, and has the "ku rootword". I could also play around with Erioba as you've done with some words and claim the Oba part establishes a relationship between the two languages. Give it a rest already. Why can't we just be Igbo, no far-fetched affinities.
Am sure you know am Proudly Igbo. That does not stop me from making researches when i choose to. The problem is that people are so comfortable with what Western Historians feed them,afterall the bantu stuff was carried out by them. We have discovered that Igbo has close relationship with bantu languages all over Africa probably through its proximity with bantoid languages in West Africa. What is my business with Yoruba kwa bikonu?
Erioba story is very similar to our 'Eri' story,you should investigate it. There is this tribe in Kenya that insists that Igbos originated from them or vice versa,these are not mere 'pun' or coincidences. Have you tried to investigate why people keep linking igbo to Sudanic languages? There are lots of issues surronding Igbo and its origin.
Affinities with Yoruba,China or even Mezo-America is not a crime,we are Igbos at the end of the day.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

OLOWU OF OWU Kingship: Meet The Final 7 Candidates / A Man Must Not Lay With A Woman Pregnant For Another Man: How True? / What Has The Black Race Contributed To The World?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.