Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car (17795 Views)

Advice On Toyota Camry 2007 V6 / Pls Peep I Need Urgent Advice On Toyota Musle 2002 / Modifications On Toyota Corolla 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by taif(f): 9:55am On Aug 15, 2014
pls my pple i want to know hw true dis story about sienna consuming more fuel.is dis realy true or just a rumour.pls ur reply is highly important
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by mayor2013: 11:06am On Aug 15, 2014
Was it toyota that said so or the the so-called road side mechanics? grin my dear go ahead and acquire your sweet sienna.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by Exponental(m): 11:16am On Aug 15, 2014
Siennas are V6 engines. If u compare another vehicle of 4plugs with it, it definitely consume more. More doesnt mean too much. It's a car used for commercials, so it is definitely economical.

5 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by nurey(m): 1:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
Toyota sienna is a very good car.
Let me give you a first hand review from someone who has been driving one for 3months.
My model year is 2000 and a CE model.
What I like about the CE over the LE or XLE is the bench seat it has against the captain seat of the LE or XLE which means 3 children will seat on it comfortably. But the LE and XLE have more gadgets and luxury than CE.

How to identify what model year you are driving or intend to buy.
1998-2000 the back light are coloured. The reverse light is coloured not white.
2001-2003 the reverse light is white not coloured.

Now the CE is a basic model so some do not have roof rack but some do have like mine.

If you are hoping to get a good gas milleage when in traffic forget it, I notice the car kinda consumes more fuel in holdup that is to be expected from a V6 engine but that car is powerful and overtaking and speeding would be very easy.

When on the express endeavor to windup because when you start exceeding speeds upto100km/h the wind speed getting inside makes the car wobbly. I use AC very often because I don't travel far with the car and the back passengers never complain of heat considering that only the front windows can be wind down.

The most basic problem with the car isthe door handles and boot handles expect to change them regularly because they are prone to damage whether carefully used or not to avoid quick damage I let all children enter to the front passenger seat and I never allow them to close or open the door I do it myself and the shock absorber at the back, they tend to give way when used frequently on bad roads, that is to be seen considering the sienna is a camry with high ground clearance not an SUV (jeep).
But that car is very heavy and if well maintained it will last and last and last.
LASTLY op it is a toyota sienna bus oo not car lol.
The car has a very good safety feature, my brother inlaw was driving his at an express when this okada rider who was deformed entered his front without warning my bro inlaw slammed the car on the culvert just to avoid the mad man, the car was a total write off but my bro inlaw survived without any major injuries.
Please if you are buying one from regions where it is snowy check for rust issues. Snow tends to make cars rust faster.

15 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by IdaraCHODB(m): 5:20am On Aug 17, 2014
Seems it also has deceleration fuel cutoff and variable valve timing which aids in fuel economy, i haven't confirmed if this applies to all engines in the line up as well as gearing designed to maximize fuel economy

nurey: Toyota sienna is a very good car.
Let me give you a first hand review from someone who has been driving one for 3months.
My model year is 2000 and a CE model.
What I like about the CE over the LE or XLE is the bench seat it has against the captain seat of the LE or XLE which means 3 children will seat on it comfortably. But the LE and XLE have more gadgets and luxury than CE.

How to identify what model year you are driving or intend to buy.
1998-2000 the back light are coloured. The reverse light is coloured not white.
2001-2003 the reverse light is white not coloured.

Now the CE is a basic model so some do not have roof rack but some do have like mine.

If you are hoping to get a good gas milleage when in traffic forget it, I notice the car kinda consumes more fuel in holdup that is to be expected from a V6 engine but that car is powerful and overtaking and speeding would be very easy.

When on the express endeavor to windup because when you start exceeding speeds upto100km/h the wind speed getting inside makes the car wobbly. I use AC very often because I don't travel far with the car and the back passengers never complain of heat considering that only the front windows can be wind down.

The most basic problem with the car isthe door handles and boot handles expect to change them regularly because they are prone to damage whether carefully used or not to avoid quick damage I let all children enter to the front passenger seat and I never allow them to close or open the door I do it myself and the shock absorber at the back, they tend to give way when used frequently on bad roads, that is to be seen considering the sienna is a camry with high ground clearance not an SUV (jeep).
But that car is very heavy and if well maintained it will last and last and last.
The car has a very good safety feature, my brother inlaw was driving his at an express when this okada rider who was deformed entered his front without warning my bro inlaw slammed the car on the culvert just to avoid the mad man, the car was a total write off but my bro inlaw survived without any major injuries.
Please if you are buying one from regions where it is snowy check for rust issues. Snow tends to make cars rust faster.

[/quote]
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by lordmassac(m): 2:06pm On Aug 17, 2014
Madam... That car is another machine. It does not consume fuel compare to its output.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by IdaraCHODB(m): 3:15pm On Aug 17, 2014
check out this review of the sienna http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/toyota-sienna-le-page-5. which model year are you considering the review is of the 2000 year model which nurey and lordmassac are commenting on
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by abatically(m): 11:23pm On Aug 17, 2014
nurey:

Toyota Sienna is a bus, which is still technically a car ( a wheeled motor vehicle which carries its own engine and motor). Cars can now be broken down into sedans, hatch backs, suv's, buses, trucks etc.

@ Op, Toyota Sienna is a well trusted mini van. Now depending on what u mean by consuming more fuel, for Pete's sake its got a v6 engine which is just perfect for its size. It is economical and fast compared to other vehicles in its class, but if u are expecting the fuel economy of a Toyota Corolla then look elsewhere because it is not possible. V6 generally consume more fuel in traffic compared to I4's but it becomes negligible on highway.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by bravolad(m): 11:50pm On Aug 17, 2014
I think you need to be more specific when you talk about fuel consumption. Besides, with engine configuration and size of a vehicle, fuel consumption is relative. Driving conditions and state of the vehicle also impact on fuel fuel consumption. You can not discuss it in isolation.

However, as been observed, what model of the Toyota Sienna are you looking at? The models range from 1998 - 2002, 2003/4 - 2010, 2011 - date with different engine capacity, body and mpg. If you are expecting a Camry mpg, look else where. But I can assure you of its ruggedity, reliability and performance compensate for whatever you spend on fuel. It's a beast on the motorway. If properly maintained, you will enjoy it for a very long time.

I will give a specific review if I know what model you plan to buy.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 18, 2014
well you can't expect the car to consume same fuel as corolla or echo.. in fact, after checking mpg.gov
it's in the same league with 4runner and Tacoma

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Toyota2001.shtml
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by taif(f): 7:50pm On Aug 19, 2014
bravolad: I think you need to be more specific when you talk about fuel consumption. Besides, with engine configuration and size of a vehicle, fuel consumption is relative. Driving conditions and state of the vehicle also impact on fuel fuel consumption. You can not discuss it in isolation.

However, as been observed, what model of the Toyota Sienna are you looking at? The models range from 1998 - 2002, 2003/4 - 2010, 2011 - date with different engine capacity, body and mpg. If you are expecting a Camry mpg, look else where. But I can assure you of its ruggedity, reliability and performance compensate for whatever you spend on fuel. It's a beast on the motorway. If properly maintained, you will enjoy it for a very long time.

d model is 2002.
thanks all for ur responses
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:19pm On Aug 19, 2014
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by nurey(m): 8:41pm On Aug 19, 2014
The toyota sienna bus was actually changed in 2001 model, the 1998 to 2000 had a 3.0L engine with 184hp.

The 2001 to 2003 had a 3.0L vvti with 210hp, front grill change and the improvement on the back lights making them more shinning.

With other minor improvements I guess

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:10pm On Aug 19, 2014
nurey: The toyota sienna bus was actually changed in 2001 model, the 1998 to 2000 had a 3.0L engine with 184hp.

The 2001 to 2003 had a 3.0L vvti with 210hp, front grill change and the improvement on the back lights making them more shinning.

With other minor improvements I guess

I should have said "largely unchanged" Wikipedia calls it mid-cycle refresh hence my choice of words : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sienna
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by nurey(m): 7:12am On Aug 20, 2014
IdaraCHODB:

I should have said "largely unchanged" Wikipedia calls it mid-cycle refresh hence my choice of words : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sienna

No P bro.
@op if you could get the sienna symphony it is a silver on silver colour car, very lovely. You can this by checking where the sienna tag is at the boot underneath the sienna tag is SYMPHONY in a signature form. I have never entered one so I don't know how the interior looks but I think it comes in Le or Xle try and make a research for it.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by IdaraCHODB(m): 1:08pm On Aug 20, 2014
nurey:

No P bro.
@op if you could get the sienna symphony it is a silver on silver colour car, very lovely. You can this by checking where the sienna tag is at the boot underneath the sienna tag is SYMPHONY in a signature form. I have never entered one so I don't know how the interior looks but I think it comes in Le or Xle try and make a research for it.

Thank you for your observations!

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/sienna/2002/

Extract:
What's New for 2002

Nothing major is in store for Toyota's minivan this year. The most significant change is the availability of a new "Symphony" special edition for LE models.This special edition includes items like keyless entry, a roof rack, captain's chairs for the first two rows (six-way power driver seat), a premium JBL audio system, power swing privacy glass, color-keyed heated power side mirrors, an overhead console with HomeLink and painted bumpers and cladding. There's also a new color this year exclusive to the Symphony: Lunar Mist Metallic. The base CE model's Extra Value package now includes a roof rack and keyless entry for no extra cost.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by bravolad(m): 3:18pm On Aug 20, 2014
taif:
d model is 2002.

One thing you have to understand about Toyota Sienna is that they come in V6 engines. The 2002 model has a 3.0l engine with 4 speed automatic. It is a mini van that drives like a sedan. More storage space, reliable, comfortable and family friendly. It is very dependable with proper maintenance. According to Toyota, the Mpg is 17/23. However, the mpg from the actual usage may be lower than what has been given. The reason for this assertion is tied to the quality of fuel available in Nigeria. Whereas in Europe and America where these vehicles are manufactured, they use the best unleaded fuel.

As someone already observed, the XLE offers a better option because it comes standard with leather seats, 6 loader audio system with JBL premium brand speakers, power sliding door, roof rack, painted bumpers, alloy wheels, daytime running lights etc. The Symphony model also has some of the features of the XLE.

The power sliding door is an expensive fix if it goes bad.

As earlier mentioned, the van is very dependable but maintenance is key. A friend of my has used his for over six (6) years with constant travel yet it still drives like brand new.

Use of recommended oil and qaulity filter as well as using the specified transmission fluid will help your minivan to last and drive smoothly. If you live in a neighborhood with bad roads, your suspensions will wear out easily.

It is worthy of note that the timing belt must be replaced at 90,000 miles. Else, it could be an expensive fix should your timing belt snap. Hence, it is important you have a carfax report of the vehicle you plan to buy.

For further details about features and specifications, refer to http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/sienna/2002/features-specs.html?style=100003140

I hope this helps.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by taif(f): 7:14pm On Aug 21, 2014
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by powerkey: 12:17pm On Mar 31, 2018
All good replies
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by Twonaira1: 5:07pm On Nov 30, 2018
bravolad:

One thing you have to understand about Toyota Sienna is that they come in V6 engines. The 2002 model has a 3.0l engine with 4 speed automatic. It is a mini van that drives like a sedan. More storage space, reliable, comfortable and family friendly. It is very dependable with proper maintenance. According to Toyota, the Mpg is 17/23. However, the mpg from the actual usage may be lower than what has been given. The reason for this assertion is tied to the quality of fuel available in Nigeria. Whereas in Europe and America where these vehicles are manufactured, they use the best unleaded fuel.

As someone already observed, the XLE offers a better option because it comes standard with leather seats, 6 loader audio system with JBL premium brand speakers, power sliding door, roof rack, painted bumpers, alloy wheels, daytime running lights etc. The Symphony model also has some of the features of the XLE.

The power sliding door is an expensive fix if it goes bad.

As earlier mentioned, the van is very dependable but maintenance is key. A friend of my has used his for over six (6) years with constant travel yet it still drives like brand new.

Use of recommended oil and qaulity filter as well as using the specified transmission fluid will help your minivan to last and drive smoothly. If you live in a neighborhood with bad roads, your suspensions will wear out easily.

It is worthy of note that the timing belt must be replaced at 90,000 miles. Else, it could be an expensive fix should your timing belt snap. Hence, it is important you have a carfax report of the vehicle you plan to buy.

For further details about features and specifications, refer to http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/sienna/2002/features-specs.html?style=100003140

I hope this helps.

I thought the power sliding door problem is peculiar to Sienna 2004 edition and higher.
Does it mean that 2003 edition with power door options faces similar faults?
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by Twonaira1: 5:17pm On Jan 20, 2019
Twonaira1:

I thought the power sliding door problem is peculiar to Sienna 2004 edition and higher.
Does it mean that 2003 edition with power door options faces similar faults?
?
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by nurey(m): 6:01pm On Jan 20, 2019
Twonaira1:

?

Not as problematic as the successor. I have seen an upbeat sienna looking like a it was involved in a monster truck bash and the power door was still functioning optimally I was baffled.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by Twonaira1: 10:07am On Jan 21, 2019
nurey:

Not as problematic as the successor. I have seen an upbeat sienna looking like a it was involved in a monster truck bash and the power door was still functioning optimally I was baffled.
ok bro
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by zahratayyab: 11:34am On Jan 21, 2019
http://www.gari.pk/used-cars/toyota/
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by mrsdaniel: 2:19am On Jun 14, 2020
bravolad:
I think you need to be more specific when you talk about fuel consumption. Besides, with engine configuration and size of a vehicle, fuel consumption is relative. Driving conditions and state of the vehicle also impact on fuel fuel consumption. You can not discuss it in isolation.

Hello,pls kindly advice if to go for sienna 2008 or 2009 xle limited with AWD feature or without considering stories I hear about 24hrs function of awd models and maintenance issues ?
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by PuZZyNegro: 8:47am On Jun 14, 2020
Got this ride for my bro to use to make money. I must confess, the driving experience is superb. I wanted to trade it for my corolla. Lol

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by Praxtech: 10:07am On Jun 14, 2020
PuZZyNegro:
Got this ride for my bro to use to make money. I must confess, the driving experience is superb. I wanted to trade it for my corolla. Lol
What's your point?
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by PuZZyNegro: 12:25pm On Jun 14, 2020
Praxtech:

What's your point?

Did I mention you?
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by Carfreak966: 12:37pm On Jun 14, 2020
PuZZyNegro:

Did I mention you?

He is right. What’s really your point? Ohh we know you have a jalopy 03 Corolla. Point noted
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by Praxtech: 12:41pm On Jun 14, 2020
PuZZyNegro:

Did I mention you?
What is your point?
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by Artelle: 12:48pm On Jun 14, 2020
PuZZyNegro:

How much was this please?
Re: Advice Needed On Toyota Sienna Car by MOTIONTECH(m): 1:37pm On Jun 14, 2020
abatically:

Toyota Sienna is a bus, which is still technically a car ( a wheeled motor vehicle which carries its own engine and motor). Cars can now be broken down into sedans, hatch backs, suv's, buses, trucks etc.

@ Op, Toyota Sienna is a well trusted mini van. Now depending on what u mean by consuming more fuel, for Pete's sake its got a v6 engine which is just perfect for its size. It is economical and fast compared to other vehicles in its class, but if u are expecting the fuel economy of a Toyota Corolla then look elsewhere because it is not possible. V6 generally consume more fuel in traffic compared to I4's but it becomes negligible on highway.
Is a trailer a car too?Motor and engine please what is the difference sir?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Can Handle This 2,000 Horsepower Nissan GT-R? (video) / Where Is The Worst Place Your Car Has Ever Broken Down? / International Driver's Licence/permit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.