Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,380 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want (56263 Views)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / 5 Degrees Employers Don't Want / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by godofwar666(m): 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2014
fixed[/quote] must you quote all to book space abi you dey high on weed ni? Jonzing
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2014
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by fittty(m): 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2014
Ummm.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by ednut1(m): 4:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
islamic studies
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by shadrach77: 4:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
@ OP, you forgot to add these

(1) Animal husbandry
(2) Botany
(3) Home Economics

grin grin grin
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 15, 2014
For a course like fine art I don't think they need an employer and Religion should be on that list.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by obalampard(m): 4:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
What about a degree i̶̲̥̅̊п̲̣̣̥ political science??
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by laplace12(m): 4:38pm On Aug 15, 2014
iv4fb: I disagree as most guys in the banking sector read weird courses
Guy nawa for you.
You come make me fear say ant dey ma screen
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Rastamann: 4:38pm On Aug 15, 2014
Where was these case studies based? In Nigeria, for instance, Economics is still a very good course to study while in the USA, information technology is good. Also, note that in the USA, irrespective of what course you studied, many employers still require you to have some specific certifications before or while on the job.

2 Likes

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 15, 2014
laplace12:
Guy nawa for you.
You come make me fear say ant dey ma screen

Lol! sorry
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by winiwini: 4:39pm On Aug 15, 2014
thats wha i have been waiting for!!!

bankyblue: if this should make the front page then i will leave NL
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by collins2gee(m): 4:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
jdilight:

Where would an economics graduate work if jobs were to be given based on certificate we have?
Seriously, dude ??

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by paulsir: 4:45pm On Aug 15, 2014
why are you people talking like this?,information systems ought not to be there.With the info ard now there are abt 4k certifications in the info sys in d world now,so if its not relevant do you think they will have so many certs as that?.Meanwhile,no course is bether than another,what you need is smb that can ferry you to ur promise land.safe.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
Idrismusty97: Well done.

Badt guy...keep up the good work grin

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by bidexmat(m): 4:51pm On Aug 15, 2014
jdilight: heys, I am trying as much as I can to sound constructive, gosh! Ur research is jst too lame and seems to be someones opinion. Before I say anythin, wat did u study? cause this thread is gross. Don't jst garbage anyfin in n out. It wil make you look stupid.
1. History

9.5 percent unemployment rate*

They say those who don't learn history are bound to repeat it. But if you believe the Georgetown study, those who major in it could be bound for the unemployment line.

Why These Grads May Have It Tough: Sorenson says that there is little opportunity for historians in today's job market. "Historians, appraisers, preservationists, etc. These are very niche markets with highly skilled and knowledgeable individuals who are called to the scene when needed for fact-checking or accuracy, not a long-term role with a growing company in today's economy," he says.

2. Fine Arts

10.1 percent unemployment rate

If you have your heart set on a fine arts major, it might take a lot to change your mind. Still, you should be prepared for the harsh reality you might face post-graduation, since this major has a high unemployment rate, according to the Georgetown study.

Why These Grads May Have It Tough: Sorenson says that despite being very self-fulfilling this degree may not be specific enough to attract employment. "For instance, if [students] want to work in design or be a creative director, they'll need a more specific skill set such as graphic design and creative writing to be a successful ‘artist,'" he says. And if you want to be an artist, skill and your work is most important, not a degree, explains Sorenson.

3. Economics

10.4 percent unemployment rate

With all the airtime that news programs spend on the economy, you'd think this degree would be a sure thing. But you'd be wrong. Just take a look at that double digit unemployment rate found by the Georgetown study.

Why These Grads May Have It Tough: "...The education you receive [in economics] is based mostly in theory, making your knowledge difficult to apply to the real world of employment," says David Bakke, a career expert at Money Crashers, a website devoted to career and personal finance advice. For example, he says finance majors may beat you out for jobs in the world of finance; accounting majors have specific skills for accountant positions; and so on.

4. Anthropology & Archeology

12.6 percent unemployment rate

These are intellectual, fascinating, and noble degrees. Unfortunately, a diploma - not a career - might be the only treasure these majors yield after graduation judging from their high unemployment rate in the Georgetown study.

Why These Grads May Have It Tough: There is not much demand for field work, and teaching the subjects in colleges and universities demands a higher degree than a bachelor's, says Bakke. As for the general job market? "These types of degrees are considered to be too grounded in academia for them to have any real value in the business world," he says.

5. Information Systems

14.7 percent unemployment rate

We live in the Information Age, so you'd think that a major with the word "information" in it would mean a promising job outlook for its grads, right? Well, the Georgetown report found otherwise. This major had the highest unemployment rate out of all the college majors in the study.

Why These Grads May Have It Tough: "The true nature of information systems is to improve the efficiency of a business, so once the system is put into place, your services may or may not be required on a long-term basis," says Tony Sorenson, CEO of the executive and staff recruiting firm Versique Search & Consulting. As a result, there is less demand for new and lesser-experienced information systems professionals, he explains.

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/degrees_that_employers_hate.htm?kid=1O2H5
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by MAJOLAUTOS: 4:54pm On Aug 15, 2014
The article is misleading. Information Systems shouldn't be on the list. What happens to system maintenance and backup when the system has been installed? The writer must have culled this idea from a very wrong source? Info sys isn't about installing businesses systems! Millions of small-scale businesses wouldn't survive without proper information systems in place. What happens where there is disruption of services or incidents affecting business continuity( hacking attempt, DOS, DDOS, loss of C.I.A( Confidentiality, data integrity, availability)?

Information system goes beyond ensuring business services? How else do you think database administrators, network admin, information security experts learned their work basics during their course of study? Information systems will remain a force to reckon with in centuries to come as computing is becoming a mandatory technique for thriving global economy.

3 Likes

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Chuksab: 4:55pm On Aug 15, 2014
The study may be true but not in Nigeria.

At Entry Job Level in Nigeria, there is about 70% equal job opportunity across all disciplines aside Medicine and Clinical Sciences which have higher job propensity. Landing a great career at this level is more of aptitude and attitude.

Because of time, let me analyze the Job Prospect of a Fine Art Degree Holder. Fine Art Degree Holders have a high income earning opportunity, it all depends on your creativity especially if you are based in Lagos. Most schools in Lagos employ fine art teachers on contractual basis and one can handle four schools comfortably with an average termly fee of about 50k per school per term to say the least, which is about three months. The Art Teacher should be creative enough to create an Art Club for the school, which is also a way to impact value and generate extra revenue.

Going by three (3) schools metrics - ie 4 x 50K = 200k/3(no of months) approx 66000 per month.

Though not the desired salary, but not too bad for a start.

What do you think?

This is my humble submission.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 15, 2014
History is Hot cake and the pay his high @ International agencies all you need to do as History student is get your M.sc (minimum requirement) and sharp mouth as well as great knowledge of your field, Gbam welcome to millions !!

B.sc History is not it no doubt except becoming a graduate assistant in University with your 2:1 !

Economics is the mother langauage of Business and I wonder how it is pushed so backward in Nigeria nothwithstanding , Economics is the owner of the boardroom and to become a relevant economics , you have to come for your Masters else :

which economic analysis do you wanto make for larger corporation with just your mere B.sc ?

May God continue to bless the cabals in Accounting , it is so sweet being the mainstream all over the world !!!

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Adedayo516(m): 4:55pm On Aug 15, 2014
Now pack your Ebola infected load and move fast!!!

3 Likes

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 15, 2014
Idrismusty97: - Project Management
- Horticulture
- Transport Management Technology
- Water Resources
- Philosophy
- Latin

They are all beautiful courses. But employers would rather go for someone with a degree in Civil engineering than most of those courses. They are great when you have it at masters level.

what of quantity surveying?
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by pat077: 4:56pm On Aug 15, 2014
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by TheRealAdonye(m): 4:58pm On Aug 15, 2014
Lol.. I no follow..

jdilight:
5. Information Systems

14.7 percent unemployment rate

We live in the Information Age, so you'd think that a major with the word "information" in it would mean a promising job outlook for its grads, right? Well, the Georgetown report found otherwise. This major had the highest unemployment rate out of all the college majors in the study.

Why These Grads May Have It Tough: "The true nature of information systems is to improve the efficiency of a business, so once the system is put into place, your services may or may not be required on a long-term basis," says Tony Sorenson, CEO of the executive and staff recruiting firm Versique Search & Consulting. As a result, there is less demand for new and lesser-experienced information systems professionals, he explains.

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/degrees_that_employers_hate.htm?kid=1O2H5
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Adedayo516(m): 5:01pm On Aug 15, 2014
Elantracey: For a course like fine art I don't think they need an employer and Religion should be on that list.
Religion Got any idea how much a Pastor make per week
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
I know a lady who studied English edu in University and works with Etisalat...
I wonder how this post make the front page...it is attention seeking post though and it has gotten it .

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
Adedayo516: Religion Got any idea how much a Pastor make per week

for your information the gospel costs more than you know.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 15, 2014
I should start crying because I read history and international studies abi. this is the umpteenth time I am seeing this.... Nairaland discouraging peeps from doing what they love.

No b una dey employ us.

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Adedayo516(m): 5:05pm On Aug 15, 2014
Elantracey:

for your information the gospel costs more than you know.
I see... *dodges the private jet moving very close to my roof top*

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 15, 2014
J
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by dejt4u(m): 5:07pm On Aug 15, 2014
In naija of today, political science shld be d first on d list...
Do i hv to get a degree to become a political scientist??
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 15, 2014
Adedayo516: I see... *dodges the private jet moving very close to my roof top*

Do you have an idea of how much work, stress and time , the challenges he has been through before he got to where he is now , its really very bad to meet a man when he's reaping his labour .
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by thurpee(m): 5:10pm On Aug 15, 2014
Have you left?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

World's History: Some Ignored Warnings That Were Tragically Deadly. / A Mother Beats Up Her Daughter Because She Was Drunk: Who Was Drunk? / OAU Sex For Marks: What Monica Osagie Told Panel – Counsel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.