Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,874 members, 7,806,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want (56260 Views)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / 5 Degrees Employers Don't Want / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by einsteino(m): 6:11pm On Aug 15, 2014
Idrismusty97: Quantity surveying is a great course. They are the accountants in the science field. In fact i will advice any science students that also have passion for economics should go for Quantity surveying. They can partake in virtually all manner of construction projects, Estimating costs and visiting constrution sites. Unlike Accountants they have technical knowledge and that only would give them an edge over others. Just like architecture it is turning into a hot cake(At least in Africa).

Yh it is a great course but there is a lil problem, the engineers can do their job. Inshort there r some engr jobs that only an engr can quantify. Then the other issue is a whole firm may need just 1 quantity surveyor.

I think what we need is a bigger and more robust economy that can accomodate everyone. Because if everyone decides to study the choice courses u would find that u will need a first class to even apply for a job. However it is necessary to know the prospects of a course before u decide to study it.

Also those saying they kno someone with english, agric e.t.c working in a bank, therefore using that point as a basis for saying those degrees shouldnt be on d unemployment list.. There is no degree that cant get a job in a bank! But that doesnt mean all degrees have good prospects. If there were jobs in d first place, what would a agric grad be doing in a bank? A doctor would never seek a job in a bank because medicine has d lowest unemployment rate in Nigeria.

As a matter of fact the prospects of a degree depends largely on the location. E.g in india, a doctor most likely would need to leave d country to get a job cos india has more doctors than it needs.

In naija there r a lot of degrees that r synonymous wit unemployment and mind u 10% unemployment rate is heaven compared to naija. There r courses with 90% unemployment rate in naija.

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by ABAKA72(m): 6:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
Idrismusty97: - Project Management
- Horticulture
- Transport Management Technology
- Water Resources
- Philosophy
- Latin

They are all beautiful courses. But employers would rather go for someone with a degree in Civil engineering than most of those courses. They are great when you have it at masters level.
did you say project management? you must be smoking something.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 15, 2014
smiley
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Cation(m): 6:20pm On Aug 15, 2014
I think food science and technology is a better option
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by amnestylaw1(m): 6:31pm On Aug 15, 2014
bankyblue: if this should make the front page then i will leave NL

Dear Bankyblue:

This is to remind you that your time on NL is up and we are advising you to honor the "agreement" we had by resigning honorably.

We would not want to have to use the moderators to eject you by force since we believe you are a gentleman who would keep to his promise.

We wish you the very best in the future as you go into "exile" or relocate to Nairabush.

Sincerely,

Amnestylaw1

tongue

3 Likes

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by emeeco(m): 6:33pm On Aug 15, 2014
[quote author=jdilight]

Where would an economics graduate work if jobs were to be given based on certificate we have?[/quote

Everywhere. The sky is your limit, according to Keynes, its an apparatus of the mind and a technique of thinking.
If you decide to be a doctor, you will be the best. A politician, the best, an accountant, the best.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by tonte(m): 6:45pm On Aug 15, 2014
lool die in poverty

- Horticulture
- Water Resources
- Philosophy
- Latin

They are all beautiful courses. But employers would rather go for someone with a degree in Civil engineering than most of those courses. They are great when you have it at masters level.

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by shilexholly(m): 6:52pm On Aug 15, 2014
Person wey neva finish skool or enta sef D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ find beta work....not 2 talk of all dis special 1's.....na connection mata jare......even militant 4 naija get levels
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by piroskey94(m): 6:55pm On Aug 15, 2014
oya oya oya, come pack ya load comot for hia kia kia!
hehehehehe
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by bankyblue(m): 7:01pm On Aug 15, 2014
bankyblue: for real front page!

off i go
some MOD re showing EBOLA symptoms and i can stand it

@piroskey, amnestylaw1, iyke926, thurpee, pat077, adedayo516, winiwini, amanwulu1

see u guys @NBUSH tongue
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by judedwriter(m): 7:10pm On Aug 15, 2014
Kachisbarbie: I have seen people with worse courses working in banks...
I know 1 for sure, her course is 'AFRICAN LANGUAGES'

'Don't think Economics should be there @all, I personally feel Business courses are the most versatile, bc there is no organization that doesn't have a financial aspect(department)

Grace of God...very important
Connection...can't be overemphasized

Shun this list.
Yes o. Dis whole thread is a waste-by d time most companies advertise for vacancies they already know 70% of those they want. Another word for JOB in nigeria is CONNECTION regardless of your degree wink
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Festusfaith(m): 7:14pm On Aug 15, 2014
There are a number of investments that i personally thinks can never fails, those are the thing we will be discussion here today,but the problem of today's youth is impatience as they are always searching for already made jobs which can not be readily available for all of us, it is only a few that will be able to get that kind of job. haven't said that, it is high time as young Nigerians that we should develops investment mentality in a viable business and stop looking for that already made job. Like I said above, there are a number of investment that you can do that will yield returns within three months. are you following? the number one on the list is Online business. there are many online business out there and also there are many screamers too you must be very careful while making your choice, but i will gives you a little from that list that are very reliable Bulksms business will never fail if you can do proper marketing of your site. information marketing also can never fails as well. websites design is also a viable business, and many more find out yourself.
Aside from that offline business that can not fails are, Water business started like play some years ago till now people are still asking for more.
live stock rearing is the most viable one i like so much poultry, piggery, fishery and many more that you can add to that list.
You can sees now that in Nigeria today we can still have some investment that can fetch you good money without recording any form of failure.
Thanks for your time in Reading this report.
(Quote) (Report) (Like)
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by bollify(m): 7:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
Your signature just got me cracking grin grin grin
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 15, 2014
einsteino:

People like you are the ones that can justify yahoo yahoo. His labour my foot, taking 10percent of the income of gullible fools.. Preaching prosperity while he prospers off on their sweat.

I would have replied you but I will just reserve my comment.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 15, 2014

Not by death or illness, I hope not 2 see u in NL again
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 15, 2014
Adedayo516: Hin dey inside Bible say make we no smile again... Abi smile Don dey cause Ebola??.. Abeg Pastor Mrs, no vex for those question oooo... cheesy

enough with that your title before I vex o
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by yinkuscious(m): 7:25pm On Aug 15, 2014
Elantracey:

enough with that your title before I vex o
elantracey and adebayo516 , someone is watching u oooo!!
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 15, 2014
yinkuscious: elantracey and adebayo516 , someone is watching u oooo!!

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by enigma39(f): 7:39pm On Aug 15, 2014
CoolKizzy: B.Ed, Adult Education. na only them waka come shaa.
Ignorance is a terrible disease
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by kunlesehan(m): 7:54pm On Aug 15, 2014
iv4fb: I disagree as most guys in the banking sector read weird courses
gbam!
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Yifesy87(m): 7:56pm On Aug 15, 2014
Idrismusty97: gringringrin

COOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL grin grin grin
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by blakky97(m): 8:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
Donkaz: This post is definitely not from a nigerian perspective.

In nigeria,what you study does not matter.with 'long legs' you can work any where you want.
Exactly!
My cousin is in Mobil. I won't say what she studies because she's a true-blue Nairalander and chances are that she will know its me referring to her.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by CoolKizzy(m): 8:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
enigma39:
Ignorance is a terrible disease

is that what you are studying? did I hurt your feelings?
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Artsman(m): 8:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
Rubbish post, its misleading and uninformed post
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by rkarang: 8:25pm On Aug 15, 2014
jdilight:

Where would an economics graduate work if jobs were to be given based on certificate we have?

You're a bush man!
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Hero10001: 8:25pm On Aug 15, 2014
Gone are those days when employers look for some sort of degrees/qualifications. We are in the era where employers take you for what you can offer.

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Janetozi(f): 8:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
freshness2020: If employers are looking at dat, I think their heads needs re booting...not about how educated ♈όϋ are but how Enlightened ♈όϋ can be!
If degrees pays, I think by now the Professors should have been the richest in the world.
votre signature n'a aucun sens pour moi, tu es un maigre français? ou vous êtes juste montrant votre auto.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by damosky12(m): 8:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
- Horticulture
- Water Resources
- Philosophy
- Latin

All those courses are obscure courses except Philosophy. With Philosophy, you can do more than you think.

3 Likes

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by freshness2020: 8:41pm On Aug 15, 2014
Janetozi: votre signature n'a aucun sens pour moi, tu es un maigre français? ou vous êtes juste montrant votre auto.
Je suis toujours a Lagos... ça vaut dire " I love the lord Almighty cos he first love me, and ♈όϋ ?
J'aime Le plus seigneur car II m'aime le premier, et toi?.. Simplement!
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Haryoryhemie(f): 8:52pm On Aug 15, 2014
jdilight:
1. History

9.5 percent unemployment rate*

They say those who don't learn history are bound to repeat it. But if you believe the Georgetown study, those who major in it could be bound for the unemployment line.

Why These Grads May Have It Tough: Sorenson says that there is little opportunity for historians in today's job market. "Historians, appraisers, preservationists, etc. These are very niche markets with highly skilled and knowledgeable individuals who are called to the scene when needed for fact-checking or accuracy, not a long-term role with a growing company in today's economy," he says.

2. Fine Arts

10.1 percent unemployment rate

If you have your heart set on a fine arts major, it might take a lot to change your mind. Still, you should be prepared for the harsh reality you might face post-graduation, since this major has a high unemployment rate, according to the Georgetown study.

Why These Grads May Have It Tough: Sorenson says that despite being very self-fulfilling this degree may not be specific enough to attract employment. "For instance, if [students] want to work in design or be a creative director, they'll need a more specific skill set such as graphic design and creative writing to be a successful ‘artist,'" he says. And if you want to be an artist, skill and your work is most important, not a degree, explains Sorenson.

3. Economics

10.4 percent unemployment rate

With all the airtime that news programs spend on the economy, you'd think this degree would be a sure thing. But you'd be wrong. Just take a look at that double digit unemployment rate found by the Georgetown study.

Why These Grads May Have It Tough: "...The education you receive [in economics] is based mostly in theory, making your knowledge difficult to apply to the real world of employment," says David Bakke, a career expert at Money Crashers, a website devoted to career and personal finance advice. For example, he says finance majors may beat you out for jobs in the world of finance; accounting majors have specific skills for accountant positions; and so on.

4. Anthropology & Archeology

12.6 percent unemployment rate

These are intellectual, fascinating, and noble degrees. Unfortunately, a diploma - not a career - might be the only treasure these majors yield after graduation judging from their high unemployment rate in the Georgetown study.

Why These Grads May Have It Tough: There is not much demand for field work, and teaching the subjects in colleges and universities demands a higher degree than a bachelor's, says Bakke. As for the general job market? "These types of degrees are considered to be too grounded in academia for them to have any real value in the business world," he says.

5. Information Systems

14.7 percent unemployment rate

We live in the Information Age, so you'd think that a major with the word "information" in it would mean a promising job outlook for its grads, right? Well, the Georgetown report found otherwise. This major had the highest unemployment rate out of all the college majors in the study.

Why These Grads May Have It Tough: "The true nature of information systems is to improve the efficiency of a business, so once the system is put into place, your services may or may not be required on a long-term basis," says Tony Sorenson, CEO of the executive and staff recruiting firm Versique Search & Consulting. As a result, there is less demand for new and lesser-experienced information systems professionals, he explains.

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/degrees_that_employers_hate.htm?kid=1O2H5

Are u/they God? Its time y'all need to know DAT employment dis days isn't by degree or grade but by Grace
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by maxgold: 8:55pm On Aug 15, 2014
If you study Fine Arts, it will make you competent for any creative role in any organization..
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Kbraims(m): 9:08pm On Aug 15, 2014
Ptswww... Wch degree persn even get d assurance of getn job wit it in 9ja

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

World's History: Some Ignored Warnings That Were Tragically Deadly. / OAU Sex For Marks: What Monica Osagie Told Panel – Counsel / Eluemunor Richard Okasia Dies In Russia After Rescuing A Drowning Lady (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.