Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,796 members, 7,802,541 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion (777 Views)

Ebola Victims Arrives Lagos From Sierra Loen, People Scampered. / Indian Doctors Forced To Treat Ebola Victims By FG / SHOCKING PHOTOS: Ebola Victims Dumped In The Streets Of Liberia By Relatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion by esere826: 12:46pm On Aug 15, 2014
Love thine neighbour as thine self

Those quarantined are still humans
Have you seen the way a lot of Nigerians have reacted to the story
of people and nations battling the ebola scourge.

I read a comment by someone in Thisday website were he said all Liberians cannot be trusted
all because of Patrick Sawyer and another Liberian that defrauded him

Such ranters filled the e-space and other communication spaces
spewing stuff that imply that victims (both those with Ebola and those quarantined)
should be treated as outcasts, without any personality requiring at least some miniscule empathy

I even hear that the officials directly handling the cases of those that have been quarantined in Lagos
treat them as sub-humans that are marked for no greater glory than a countdown to a cremated grave.

The whole thing almost sounds like the stories of yore, when folks with perceived terminal illness
were considered as an abomination to community and cast into an evil forrest filled with wild beasts
until they met their demise (which ever tool that death chose to wield to accomplish this).

4 Likes

Re: Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion by esere826: 12:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
We're are also human

Go read electronic comments in the foreign media....
The intersting paradox is that an unschooled lot outside our shores
also treat us in the same way as we have treated our own
they'd rather that we all (you and I included) be zipped up in a continental bag and burned
to eradicate any risk of this becoming a global epidemic

And guess what,... some countries are treating our nationals like outcasts too
that is why we had to pull out from the China games

3 Likes

Re: Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion by esere826: 12:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
Love yourself if not your neighbour

OK, if we have no qualms about the treatment we mete to these unfortunate ebola cases
at least for the sake of self preservation, we need to be sensible

With our present systemic disposition, do we honestly think that any Nigerian who suspects
that he's got Ebola will turn himself over to the Nigerian authorities
Well, ...honestly,....I know that I won't.
I'm not sure that you would either.

I'd be nice enough to avoid contact with others (much like Patrick Sawyer did initially),
but I'll desperately try to get myself accross to a Western world and declare the disease there.
Over there, I'm confident that I'll be treated with some dignity even if the disease kills me.

You,
...some of you might not have the financial resources for such trip
nor have empathy or the discipline to keep off contact with others.
You'd probably run to the church, prayer house or village thearapist
and infect loads of people along the way.

3 Likes

Re: Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion by esere826: 12:48pm On Aug 15, 2014
A good place to start
From what I've read in the media so far, the hospital "First consultant" were Patrick Sawyer
was treated is presently feeling the pain of our betrayal
can you imagine that!!

...those guys were sensible and nice enough to alert the authories of Patient zero
This has so far prevented what would have otherwise been an epidemic
that could have snuffed the lifes out of many of us

Please let's be sensible
First consultant management staff (especially the doctor presently in Quarantine who
insisted that Sawyer should not be discharged) deserve a national award.
I hope that her name features on the next list whether dead or alive.

...I hope it is alive

2 Likes

Re: Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion by An0nimus: 3:15pm On Aug 15, 2014
@esere826 the end?
Re: Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion by esere826: 3:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
An0nimus: @esere826 the end?

The end of the article ..yes
hopefully the beginning of more empathy for those facing the present challenge
Re: Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion by An0nimus: 3:48pm On Aug 15, 2014
esere826:

The end of the article ..yes
hopefully the beginning of more empathy for those facing the present challenge

tbh I was left wanting more at the end. Nice post all the same.

nevertheless frontpage my people grin

cc: mynd44, obinoscopy
Re: Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion by esere826: 8:11pm On Aug 16, 2014

1 Like

Re: Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion by Ishilove: 8:55pm On Aug 16, 2014
An0nimus:

tbh I was left wanting more at the end. Nice post all the same.

nevertheless frontpage my people grin

cc: mynd44, obinoscopy

I concur
Re: Love Thine Neighbour As Thine Self -Treat Ebola 'victims' with some compassion by Ekundayo7: 9:17pm On Aug 16, 2014
People are wicked and very quick to rush into a public sentiment that is fueled by ignorance and lack of morals, values, ethics and good character. Stupidity and ignorance is not owned by any one color or nationality. If Nigerians shun and turn their backs on these poor ebola victims, it is the final stamp of approval that this IS a wicked nation filled with wicked people. I just pray that the precautions needed to stem this ebola are taken and we avoid a full breakdown of society and also economic hardship that the main affected nations are now facing. This is not a joke people. Just because we have few infected now does not mean we cannot end up just like Liberia, and they are going to face the repercussions from this virus for a long long time. They also started with few infections and look now. Ebola has affected everyone. People are losing their shantytown homes from bulldozers and fear that the unsanitary conditions will harbor ebola, a spokesperson for the Liberian President said that in those shantytowns were also dried fish sellers (meaning they could possibly spread ebola through infected dried fish in the "unclean" shantytown area) The economic market is not circulating as normal so people are experiencing even more poverty, and the very few doctors, nurses and volunteers who are on hand to stem this virus are not attending to other patients and emergencies. This means that more women are dying in childbirth,leaving a shattered and broken family; more people are dying of normally treatable disease such as malaria and people are dying from lack of medical attention due to accidents. We do not want this to happen in Nigeria. Support the brave medical staff and volunteers who are risking their lives to save all of Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Rivers PDP: Nyeson Nwike And The Road To 2015 / Rivers Governorship Election: I’m Contesting For Real- Julius Agwu / PDP Worse Than Ebola Virus–okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.