Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,547 members, 7,809,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:04 PM

NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters (30819 Views)

Breaking:- FG Sacks All Resident Doctors / Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital / Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by eaglechild: 9:20pm On Aug 15, 2014
prettyprettywow: So we don't produce Drs every year to replace the dead and retired ones? I guess the new Drs are already working in America, Canada, Australia and UK?
I assumed you got your figure from MDCN registration numbers.
My bad.
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by kobonaire(m): 9:23pm On Aug 15, 2014
On the one hand we are trying to prevent an Ebola outbreak, on the other we are sacking a large group of physicians. Something is seriously f'ked up angry
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Dreambeat: 9:24pm On Aug 15, 2014
Malawian:
who told you you are fighting for the populace? who beg you? ode.
It would be too petty of me to trade insults with you because I consider it infra dig. Read about how much money Nigerians contribute to the India economy annually through medical tourism for ailments that could easily be managed in this country. Money that could be invested in our economy and increase employment. Just put the necessary facilities in place, that is all we ask of the government.

3 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by edaolaropin: 9:24pm On Aug 15, 2014
[quote author=bushdoc9919]

Look,,,,here is the scoop.

Residency training in Nigeria goes like this.....you write an exam called the primary (of which there are two flavours....West African, which carries more power....and National/Nigerian...which is just as hard).After you pass....you then get a place to do the residency (Which involves job interviews/exams). Then once you get the job...you work as a junior resident for two-three years....after which you write an exam that if you pass (it is a very tough exam) you become a senior resident. Then another three years....after which you write the exam that if you pass means you become a consultant. ALSO....you do a research project during the time you are a resident....and THAT project is part of your final exam for consultant.

So, sacking all the residents....means you have to replace like for like.And a common medical officer(Like me!)cannot just slip into the shoes of a senior resident....or even junior resident. To put it simply.....it is a disaster waiting to happen. And poor Mr Consultant would have a hard time of it....doing most of the jobs that senior resident is supposed to do.And students...the young medical students...would have a hard time of it.

It isn't that simple. You cannot replace experience.[/
quote]
God bless you!

5 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by kobonaire(m): 9:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
The only group of people that can be happy with this f'ked up situation are the traditional doctors/herbalists
grin

1 Like

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 15, 2014
Funny when our docs compare themselves with foreign docs. Docs dat only knw how to treat malaria and typhoid. Pharmacist and chemist guys make more impact on the lives of the masses.
Pay is poor in most sectors of the economy. Why do these doctors think they are special? There are foreign doctors with all the qualifications and skills who leave their countries and come and work in African villages. That is selflessness and dedication to duty. Medicine is a noble profession but these quacks have a false sense of entitlement.
If you want to make money go and be an entrepreneur. Lot's of doctors earn less than 100k in d private sector and they haven't died. This is d same country where masters holders earn a paltry 18k minimum wage.

8 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by kobonaire(m): 9:30pm On Aug 15, 2014
tiamiyukunle69: ........At times I wonder why God created me in this country. SMH angry
grin grin

iceberylin:
You should be thankful that you weren't created in Liberia rather...SMH
or North Korea, Chad, Niger, Afghanistan ...
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by VantagePoint: 9:30pm On Aug 15, 2014
prettyprettywow: i thought your leaders said we have 47,000 Drs? how come they are now 30,000?
Check the MDCN website.
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by eaglechild: 9:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
Gaggi: Funny when our docs compare themselves with foreign docs. Docs dat only knw how to treat malaria and typhoid. Pharmacist and chemist guys make more impact on the lives of the masses.
Pay is poor in most sectors of the economy. Why do these doctors think they are special? There are foreign doctors with all the qualifications and skills who leave their countries and come and work in African villages. That is selflessness and dedication to duty. Medicine is a noble profession but these quacks have a false sense of entitlement.
If you want to make money go and be an entrepreneur. Lot's of doctors earn less than 100k in d private sector and they haven't died. This is d same country where masters holders earn a paltry 18k minimum wage.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Please make sure you do a renal function test as soon as you can.

6 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
Gaggi: Funny when our docs compare themselves with foreign docs. Docs dat only knw how to treat malaria and typhoid. Pharmacist and chemist guys make more impact on the lives of the masses.

It is a myth to assume that Nigerian doctors treat only Malaria and typhoid....we also treat diabetes,hypertension,tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, stroke, worm infestations, cancer, back pain, etc (and that is a smorgsabord of the cases I have seen in out patients and on the ward this week. )

Pay is poor in most sectors of the economy. Why do these doctors think they are special? There are foreign doctors with all the qualifications and skills who leave their countries and come and work in African villages. That is selflessness and dedication to duty.

And those foreign doctors are paid better than African doctors.(The only foreign docs who don't get paid well are the Cubans)

Medicine is a noble profession but these quacks have a false sense of entitlement.

If you think your average medical doctor is a quack....then try the pharmacist.....when you (God forbid) come down with Meniere's disease.....or Parkinson's disease.

Goodie....let's all earn poor salaries.....and have poor facilities to boot!(And a big brain drain of doctors)

The Consultant Nurse will see you now.

11 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by VantagePoint: 9:38pm On Aug 15, 2014
prettyprettywow: Residency program was not abolished, but was just suspended to allow Govt solve the health sector problem. It will still be restored when the neede changes have been made
We all know that's just an excuse to give them the sack.
Let's wait and see the 'changes'.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by GodZilla31: 9:38pm On Aug 15, 2014
laplace12:
There are more than 16000 unemployed doctors waiting to take that job

are you one of the 16000 waiting or Johesu? state clearly and stop hiding under a mask. .....lagbaja

5 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Itoroetti(m): 9:40pm On Aug 15, 2014
laplace12:
Lol,
Work, you no wan work.
Resign, you no gree resign.
Sack, you no gree make them sack you.
employee wey pass em oga undecided

no mind dem
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by adorable29(f): 9:43pm On Aug 15, 2014
SACK THEM ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

They have no regards or give a hoot about the poor patients that are dying every day due to the fact that they can't afford a good private hospital..... All they care about is their selfish ego and money money money!

Trully, gone are the days when doctors were noble and selfless. This generation of doctors are a bunch of heartless people (na cultist full the work now sef) with no iota of passion or calling.

My 2kobo

1 Like

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by deboraha(f): 9:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
I am not a doctor. but do I sense some kind of jealousy towards doctors here?Doctors are not the ones responsible for ebola entering into nigeria, the failed system is. This is just exposing the decay that already exists in the health sector. "So called leaders" can pay millions of dollars to go treat themselves abroad but will not want to improve the health sector of their father land. When will we get it right with the right government and leaders?

7 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Sunshinelady(f): 9:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
laplace12:
Lol,
Work, you no wan work.
Resign, you no gree resign.
Sack, you no gree make them sack you.
employee wey pass em oga undecided
. Am tellin u, I wish we had a tougher president dat will deal wit dese pple, dey r just sufferin d masses/patients. Dey r not even d ones doin most of d work in d health sector. Oya see 2 nurses hav died, do u see nurses carryin placards , striking & makin incessant demands? I don't rilly knw wat dey want, dey aint even as good as their counterparts abroad, dey r only gud at constitutin nuissance, mcheeew

5 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 15, 2014
bushdoc9919:

It is a myth to assume that Nigerian doctors treat only Malaria and typhoid....we also treat diabetes,hypertension,tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, stroke, worm infestations, cancer, back pain, etc (and that is a smorgsabord of the cases I have seen in out patients and on the ward this week. )

And those foreign doctors are paid better than African doctors.(The only foreign docs who don't get paid well are the Cubans)

If you think your average medical doctor is a quack....then try the pharmacist.....when you (God forbid) come down with Meniere's disease.....or Parkinson's disease.

Goodie....let's all earn poor salaries.....and have poor facilities to boot!(And a big brain drain of doctors)

The Consultant Nurse will see you now.

My septuagenarian dad doesn't know the road to the hospitals. A masters degree holder he has helped more people than most doctors have. With his chinese herbs and library lot's of his friends have been successfully managed ailments from prostrate to diabetes and he does it for free too.
I appreciate docs, like I appreciate all professionals. The young docs being trained these days hardly know their left from their right. Medicine is not a profession to make money. Try politics or geo science.

4 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by phantom(m): 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2014
eaglechild:

you dey mind the jester.
pharmacists and chemists make more impact than doctors and it doesnt give him cause for concern.

nigerians run tests at will in the labs and ask the chemists to "MIX" drugs for them. effectively they have become their own doctors... grin grin grin

its exactly what happened to a man who we saw in the teaching hospital,acutely ill. i scanned and discovered his kidneys were gone. totally fibrotic. of course we dug deeper only to find out that he recieved a certain IV drug from a nurse(in a bid to avoid the doctor) in his neirgbourhood for 5-6days.
when he presented to us,he was almost dead.
when we told the wife that the IV drug most likely packed up his kidneys,she threw herself on the floor wailing. but it was already too late.

i know of women who have ruptured their wombs because quacks had allowed them labour endlessly where v.aginal delivery was impossible.
of course these women go through this with support from their pastors who declare the doctors "mere mortals" and encourage these women to deliver like the "hebrew women".

we see these everyday.people who have become too smart even for themselves and end up in trouble.
this scenerio plays out in front of us daily. majority of nigerians are illiterate and poor and are "destined" to toe the dangerous paths i outlined above.
they have embraced every single person out there except the only person who truly can help them....the doctor!

8 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by manck: 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2014
[size=28pt]the solution is to transfer all Hospital to state.. because doctor have a point.. the hospital are in such a state... only state can manage hospital. [/size]
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2014
eaglechild:

How many of you can even manage the renal issue? India is our saving grace in this country. Our doctors have sent many people to the grave by diagnosing kidney disease as malaria.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by phantom(m): 9:56pm On Aug 15, 2014
Gaggi:

How many of you can even manage the renal issue? India is our saving grace in this country. Our doctors have sent many people to the grave by diagnosing kidney disease as malaria.

do you know what a dialysis machine is?? find out how many we have in the country then get back to me.

4 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Sunshinelady(f): 10:00pm On Aug 15, 2014
Dreambeat: Fashola did not win anything. Don't let me go into the details of what happened. We have to fight this battle now once and for all for the good of the populace and the progress of the health sector in this country. A lot of people are just so uninformed about what is going on in our government hospitals, those that are, choose to take side against doctors out of sentiment. Things can not just continue the way they are right now. The hospitals are in a big mess. I know how many times I have had to walk and sometimes run to the theatre to BEG for disposable gloves to work with. Lots of things are just not right in our training centres especially.
. Sharap dats not y drs are striking, dey r strikin for their own selfish needs, & to block other professions in d health sector from rising, dey want to monopolise d health sector, head & control everythin, witout even considerin dat health care is only successful thru team work

1 Like

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by eaglechild: 10:01pm On Aug 15, 2014
Gaggi:

My septuagenarian dad doesn't know the road to the hospitals. A masters degree holder he has helped more people than most doctors have. With his chinese herbs and library lot's of his friends have been successfully managed ailments from prostrate to diabetes and he does it for free too.
I appreciate docs, like I appreciate all professionals. The young docs being trained these days hardly know their left from their right. Medicine is not a profession to make money. Try politics or geo science.

Your mentality is sickening.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by eaglechild: 10:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
phantom:

do you know what a dialysis machine is?? find out how many we have in the country then get back to me.

Ignorance is a terrible disease my brother.
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Sunshinelady(f): 10:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
prettyprettywow: so allowing others to become directors, appointment of surgoen general, consultants, giving mlsc license for importation of IVD, are the things putting the hospitals in a mess?
. Don't mind dat poster, mayb he tinks d pple readin dis are fools..smh
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by dalhat14(m): 10:04pm On Aug 15, 2014
laplace12:

Stop belittling yourself bro. Practice in every profession is beyong paper qualification.

In the labour market, I don't think anybody is indispensable. It will only cost a little more cash and inconvenience.
u wouldn't understand, it doesn't work like that in medicine, nothing as imporant as experience and paper qualification in the world of a doctor
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Hearme(m): 10:04pm On Aug 15, 2014
Why won't doctors fight. A house officer who graduated from Medicine earns around 180k montly if you add hazard allowance of 100k montly, the house officer will now take 275k. That is minus the 5k hazard they earn now. That is on hazard alone, CONMESS and other stuff they are fighting for is excluded.

275k is the salary of a Senior lecturer in the university. I'm also sure that is the equivalent for most level 13 officers in the civil service. For God sake MBBS is an honors degree (undergraduate). I can bet that the government will only invite more trouble to itself by foolishly acceding to the financial demands of the doctors. Hazard allowance of 1.2 million per annum is totally not fair on other employees of government. The police and Soldiers whose life is at stake at all time will also need that amount.

lastly if our leaders are not wasteful and accruing to them selves bogus allowances, the union struggles would be reduced. There is nothing that says a senator in Abuja should not take 450k around what perm secs and top civil servants earn. If you say it is not a reality, how does a professor in Abuja survive and a Senator fills he or she can't survive. This is the exact cause of our problems. If we have some form of close equality in income, then people can understand and agree that the country is poor. But as long as senators continue to earn tens of million monthly, there is bound to be more labour crises.

8 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 15, 2014
phantom:

you dey mind the jester.
pharmacists and chemists make more impact than doctors and it doesnt give him cause for concern.

nigerians run tests at will in the labs and ask the chemists to "MIX" drugs for them. effectively they have become their own doctors... grin grin grin

its exactly what happened to a man who we saw in the teaching hospital,acutely ill. i scanned and discovered his kidneys were gone. totally fibrotic. of course we dug deeper only to find out that he recieved a certain IV drug from a nurse(in a bid to avoid the doctor) in his neirgbourhood for 5-6days.
when he presented to us,he was almost dead.
when we told the wife that the IV drug most likely packed up his kidneys,she threw herself on the floor wailing. but it was already too late.

i know of women who have ruptured their wombs because quacks had allowed them labour endlessly where v.aginal delivery was impossible.
of course these women go through this with support from their pastors who declare the doctors "mere mortals" and encourage these women to deliver like the "hebrew women".

we see these everyday.people who have become too smart even for themselves and end up in trouble.
this scenerio plays out in front of us daily. majority of nigerians are illiterate and poor and are "destined" to toe the dangerous paths i outlined above.
they have embraced every single person out there except the only person who truly can help them....the doctor!

My friend go and get cable tv and watch programmes like medical diagnosis or when u are able to save enough, travel to a developed country and see how doctors work.
There is no passion for the job. Even d residency program is not out of passion but for the money that could be made as a consultant.
I can't forget all the seasoned doctors that took care of me as a child, those were men to be respected. Doctors who had passion for the job. What we have now is simply pathetic.

3 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by dalhat14(m): 10:07pm On Aug 15, 2014
prettyprettywow: resident doctors are not permanent employees, so they can't dictate to their sponsors how they are treated. MO and consultants are permanent staff. got it?
obviously this is coming from someone who knows nothing about specialties and areas of specialisation in the field of medicine.

1 Like

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by prettyprettywow: 10:10pm On Aug 15, 2014
Adiwana: people really think being intelligent is sweeping As&Bs..well thats not that..am not in the medical line,buh my mum who's a nurse prescribes drugs via phone so don't tell me that..so wat u telling me that is if u have running stomach,dat ur family doc cant prescribe drugs for u via telephone...na wa oo!!
and they want to use it to make mouth? I prescribe drugs over the phone, but that doesn't make it right, and i can't come out to make mouth like i am the alpha and omega
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Morotov1(m): 10:10pm On Aug 15, 2014
Waiting for the reversal of the suspension though. FG is out with both guns blazing even Phantom is hysteric.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt / Lady Accuses Hospitals Of Turning C-section To A Profit Making Venture / COVID-19: FG Lists Lagos, FCT, Kano, Ogun, Kaduna, Sokoto For WHO Drug Trials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.