Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin (43314 Views)

10 Funny Answers To Common Nigerian silly Questions / Some Common Abbreviation / Nigerian Dogs(origin Of The Word Nkita?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by igboboy1(m): 9:26pm On Aug 19, 2014
baby124:

Obodo is a Niger delta word. Obodo Oyinbo is pidgin and it has Niger delta and Yoruba origins. Obodo is more warri, edo or urhobo than Igbo.

haha ignorant morrasocker.. so what is Niger delta?

I am from Delta state (A Niger Delta state) and I am 100% sure that there is no language called Niger Delta!!

7 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Balobest(m): 9:28pm On Aug 19, 2014
smudge2079: Warri no dey carry last, if e get worst na 2nd to d last.
oga no b so, warri no dey carry last worst worst na first from back..
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Kindluv3(m): 9:31pm On Aug 19, 2014
pls most of this pigin is outdated come warri come hear some latest one,,
infat make i lookup
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by oboy3(m): 9:34pm On Aug 19, 2014
baby124:

Obodo is a Niger delta word. Obodo Oyinbo is pidgin and it has Niger delta and Yoruba origins. Obodo is more warri, edo or urhobo than Igbo.
keep decieving yourself,obodo is 100% igbotic and oyibo (not the yoruba ''oyinbo'') is also igbo used by anambra/enugu and anioma people of delta state for whiteman or english language
go figure

8 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 9:38pm On Aug 19, 2014
Oshobe..... Motivational word used during labour intensive task....

Origin... English.... Apes obey.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Seyilome(m): 9:39pm On Aug 19, 2014
One thing I always observe on nairaland is that,why Igbos like claiming what does not belong to them? example some one saying{egusi} is Igbo language? also that (lba) fever is from Igbo? No. these words are from Yoruba. likewise (chai!) is from Igbo. so no pro.

7 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by henryobinna(m): 9:44pm On Aug 19, 2014
baby124:

you definitely don't have full idea of what you're saying.
obodo might also be a warri, yorubs, niger delta, urhobo word. but Obodo is very much an igbo word, meaning a place/town
example of an igbo statement 'obodo anyi'
meaning our country, our town, etc
at least I've enlightened you a bit pertaining this

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by igboboy1(m): 9:44pm On Aug 19, 2014
Balobest: oga no b so, warri no dey carry last worst worst na first from back..

lies... at all at all na draw....
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by henryobinna(m): 9:49pm On Aug 19, 2014
whitecat007: I for one would have probably agreed with you concerning "Obodo" since I don't know its origin but, when you claim Iba, Owu, Egusi and others are Igbo, you lose all credibility.

he wrote 'egwusi' and not 'egusi' and egwusi is igbo.
tho they both have same meaning

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Cheeun(f): 9:50pm On Aug 19, 2014
Interesting! So portugese dey wetin we dey speak everytime? I never knew o. Btw, weldone op.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by baby124: 9:50pm On Aug 19, 2014
henryobinna: he wrote 'egwusi' and not 'egusi' and egwusi is igbo.
tho they both have same meaning
There is nothing like Egwusi, it is Egusi. Growing up, Igbo's used to call egusi, melon seeds/soup which is the English name because it is not their native soup. It is a Yoruba soup.

9 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by ChiSun27(m): 9:52pm On Aug 19, 2014
kekakuz: [size=16pt]
origin of pidgin in Nigeria can be traced to when the Igbos migrated from their land due to erosion dirt and poverty to lagos
they needed to communicate and do business but they lacked education so they just mumble the little English they can hear e.g
give me food make I chop
a beg make una give me house because poverty dey for our place
your money or your life.
I go shoot you if you no give me your car key
tuface don release new album make we pirate am
etc
that is the origin of pidgin in Nigeria
[/size]

Goat on d loose.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by baby124: 9:53pm On Aug 19, 2014
Cheeun: Interesting! So portugese dey wetin we dey speak everytime? I never knew o. Btw, weldone op.
Yea, itsekiri people adopted Portuguese words in their language. That is where the Portuguese influence comes from. They were one of the first to have contact with the Portuguese
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by henryobinna(m): 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2014
baby124:
There is nothing like Egwusi, it is Egusi. Growing up, Igbo's used to call egusi, melon seeds/soup which is the English name because it is not their native soup. It is a Yoruba soup.
ok sir.. ok sir
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2014
There is no need to argue over the origin of some of the words. I know some of the languages in Nigeria has similar words across them. While some might mean the same thing in some, the meanings might differs in others. For instance, words such as Uwa, as in Adesuwa(Benin) and Onuwa(Igbo) respectively, exist in Igbo language as well as in Edo(Benin) language. While uwa means wealth in Edo(Benin), it means life in Igbo (Someone correct me, if I am wrong). Just like the Yorubas, the Benins also call an empty can Ukpu-agolo; Ukpu(Cup/mug)+ agolo(empty can)=Ukpu-agolo. Many people pronounce it as "kpangolo" in Benin because it is easier for them. So, if you look closely, you are going to see similarities in many of the Nigerian languages. Una doh o!

7 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2014
DikeOha882: Good, but akara is an Igbo word. Nwata n' akara n'ata ego ya. An Igbo proverb
it should be 'nwata n'ata akara na-ata ego ya.a kid that eat beans cake is eating his money

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by kelitacliff(m): 10:01pm On Aug 19, 2014
kekakuz: [size=16pt]
origin of pidgin in Nigeria can be traced to when the Igbos migrated from their land due to erosion dirt and poverty to lagos
they needed to communicate and do business but they lacked education so they just mumble the little English they can hear e.g
give me food make I chop
a beg make una give me house because poverty dey for our place
your money or your life.
I go shoot you if you no give me your car key
tuface don release new album make we pirate am
etc
that is the origin of pidgin in Nigeria
[/size]

And u think u made sense?

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 19, 2014
Adikam: it should be 'nwata n'ata akara na-ata ego ya.a kid that eat beans cake is eating his money
no vex na typo error.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by dellaziz(m): 10:09pm On Aug 19, 2014
Tonylyte:
Lion begets lion. Your dad must be a person.

guy I catch u today
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Cheeun(f): 10:11pm On Aug 19, 2014
Wow, wow, great. But dem do ojoro for we Yorubas o. Dem suppose come our side first na cos i don dey hunger for portugese lang. now jare. grin @baby, tnx for the enlightenment.
baby124:
Yea, itsekiri people adopted Portuguese words in their language. That is where the Portuguese influence comes from. They were one of the first to have contact with the Portuguese
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Tzulu(f): 10:13pm On Aug 19, 2014
A little correction here. Pidgin itself originated from portuguese language so it did not borrow per se fron it. Then 'okrika' cannot be from Igbo language. The word okrika came to be used for second hand clothes imported through the port town of okirika in Rivers state.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 19, 2014
No lol
Are u Igbo btw?
jnrbayano:

....to you?

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Ahmeduana(m): 10:18pm On Aug 19, 2014
[quote author=whitecat007]
Can anyone beat this?
Se
Abi
Oga
Owanbe
Ponmon
Danfo
Molue
Ankara
Tatase
Gbedu
Agbero
Omonile
Ode
Didirin
Oponu
Olodo
Aso ebi
Gele
ipele
Ogiri
AND U PERFECT EXAMPLES OF THOSE TRASH YOU TYP!
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by jnrbayano(m): 10:20pm On Aug 19, 2014
Ladystewie: No lol
Are u Igbo btw?

Yes smiley
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Abuloma80(f): 10:23pm On Aug 19, 2014
@OP,

DOGO na HAUSA word meaning TALL PERSON OT SOMETHING

GWORO na HAUSA word meaning KOLANUT.

SUYA to na HAUSA word meaning roasted meat.

So take note tongue embarassed
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 19, 2014
dabaru is yoruba... it means disorganise not destroy.. op correct that.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 19, 2014
DikeOha882: no vex na typo error.
noo notin like vex sir.goodnite
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 19, 2014
neuljosh: Naijá Pigin is open to a lot of influences from English and local Nigerian languages, especially from Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba and the Edo and other group of languages spoken in the Niger Delta.

While much of the vocabulary of Naijá Pigin is derived from English its major lexifier, the rest of the vocabulary come from its other contributory languages such as Edo, Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba, as well as a significant contribution from Portuguese. See the following examples.

From English:

chop------------‘to eat/to consume’
domot----------- ‘door mouth area’
doti-------------‘dirt’
pesin------------ ‘someone’
trowe------------‘throw away’
tok---------------‘to speak’
waka-------------‘to walk’

From the Edo:

kpangolo----------'container’
kpekere-----------‘plantain chips’
okada-------------‘motor-bike’
ororo--------------‘vegetable oil’
ozeba-------------‘a big problem’

From Hausa:

dabaru-----------‘to destroy’
dogo-------------‘a tall person’
gworo------------‘cola nut’
koboko-----------‘horse whip’
suya-------------‘spicy grilled meat’

From Igbo:

akamu----------- ‘corn starch /pap’
biko--------------‘please’
obodo------------‘land/country’
okrika------------‘second-handed item’
ogbanje----------‘a water spirit’
ugu--------------‘pumpkin leaves’

From Yoruba:

adire-------------‘tie and dye’
agbo-------------‘herbal medicine’
ashawo----------‘a prostitute’
shakara----------‘show-off’
she--------------‘hope’
shele-------------‘happen/take place’

From Portuguese:

kpalava-----------`trouble’
pikin-------------- ‘child’
sabi-------------- ‘to know’

Compounding

akara-wuman---------- Yoruba/Igbo+English---------------- ‘a women who fries and sells bean cakes’
boku-bai--------------- French + English-------------- ‘wholesale’
egbe-weja------------- Edo + English----------------- ‘a bouncer at a club, a thug or hoodlum’
go-slo----------------- English + English-------------- ‘traffic jam’
ova-sabi--------------- English+Portuguese----------- ‘one who shows he knows too much’

boku∙boku------------- French---------- ‘in large number’
boi∙boi---------------- English---------------- ‘a male household servant’
sabi∙sabi-------------- Portuguese------------ ‘someone who thinks he or she knows everything’
waka∙waka------------ English---------------- ‘someone who about aimlessly or without any destination’ or ‘a prostitute’
I see you re from edo state! I ve never used or heard the word Ozeba! This is my 1st seeing it! Palaver is an English word for trouble/worrysome. Ororo is a yoruba word for vegetable oil. Pangolo too is a yoruba word for tin. Because of nearness (proximity) of the Igbos to the coastal areas in the Niger delta (old eastern Nigeria province), when merchants/sailors brought in fairly used clothing and wares to the country people from the east would travel down to a town in now Rivers state (Okrika) to purchase goods which they would come back and resell in their own towns. In those days, the name "okrika" was used in describing the place the goods was bought, to enable customers/buyers know the quality of the wares. Trading through the okrika route is no longer practiced (not to my knowledge), but the name is now wrongly used in describing fairly used or inferior clothing. And accessories. God bless Okrika.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 19, 2014
koboko is yoruba word... iba is yoruba.. mr. op stop spreading wrong info.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by RebelLeader15(m): 10:35pm On Aug 19, 2014
whitecat007: It was Ashewo.

Can anyone beat this?

Se
Abi
Oga
Owanbe
Ponmon
Danfo
Molue
Ankara
Tatase
Gbedu
Agbero
Omonile
Ode
Didirin
Oponu
Olodo
Aso ebi
Gele
ipele
Ogiri

and so many more are all Yoruba.

What of these:
Oloshi Jatijati
Omo radarada
Eeyan rederede
Akidanidani
Omo ofo
Iyawo suegbe
Baba odoyo
Eniyan katikati
Shuoooo
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Btruth: 10:36pm On Aug 19, 2014
baby124: Ororo, pangolo and pekere is Yoruba....
A bi?...I wonder why the op is giving it out to another tribe. Even "ororo for bottle" means spirit with high volume of alcohol.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 19, 2014
gragra
aproko
at all at all
vex
kaikai
henlele
gbese

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

A Snake In My Room! / Lady Killed By Heavy Rainfall In Onitsha, Anambra State. Disturbing Photos / 15 Things You Shouldn't Do In Public.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.