Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,394 members, 7,781,132 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:30 AM

I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis (1896 Views)

"For Three Years, I Couldn't Access Minister Of Petroleum " ...Akpabio / Jonathan To Live In Luxury Island Villa, Otuoke Upon Exit From Aso Rock (photo) / Jonathan To Nigerians: Give Me Another Five Years To Transform Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by bcomputer101: 4:34am On Aug 20, 2014
For the Catholic faithful, this piece of news will definitely be hard to stomach: Pope Francis says he has only two or three years to live.

Although the Argentina-born Pontiff was silent on why he thinks he would not live for more than three years, he hinted that he had   ‘some nerve problems’ which require treatment.

He spoke with journalists aboard his jet as he returned from a trip to South Korea.

Francis, according to the Mailonline on Tuesday, also mentioned the possibility of retiring from the Papacy if his health failed to cope with the rigours of his office.

His predecessor, Benedict XVI, stepped down last year, in an unprecedented move that opened the way for Francis to become the Pope.

“I see it as the generosity of the people of God. I try to think of my sins, my mistakes, not to become proud. Because I know it will last only a short time,” the pope said.

Then, apparently light-heartedly, he added, “Two or three years and then I’ll be off to the Father’s house.”

A Vatican source, said the Mailonline had claimed that the Pope   had previously told those close to him that he thought he only had a few years to live.

Although Francis is 77, he has been the most vigorous Pope in years, his energy proving the key to his popularity.

His frank admission may lead commentators to speculate as to whether he has any undisclosed health problems.

At the time of his elevation to the Papacy, reports emerged that Francis had a lung removed when he was a teenager in Argentina after suffering an infection.

The Mailonline quoted Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Centre in Nashville, Tennessee in United States, to have said, “So whatever they did got him over that precarious period. As people age, they generally become more susceptible to lung infections, such as pneumonia and bronchitis.”

The risk of lung infections increases if those affected have pre-existing conditions such as a weakened immune system or heart disease.

But Francis joked about the nervous problems, saying, “I must treat them well, these nerves, give them mate (an Argentine stimulant tea) every day.”

“One of these neuroses, is that I’m too much of a homebody,” he added and recalled that the last time he had taken a holiday outside of   Argentina was with the Jesuit community in 1975.

Resigning the papacy, as his predecessor Benedict XVI did last year, was also a possibility “even if it does not appeal to some theologians”, Francis told the journalists.

He added that 60 years ago, it was practically unheard of for Catholic bishops to retire, but nowadays it was common.

As the jet travelled through the airspace, Francis also addressed the issues surrounding the Catholic Church in China, a country which refuses to allow Catholics to officially recognise the spiritual leadership of the Vatican.

Since the communist revolution, Catholicism, like all religions, has been permitted to operate only under the supervision of the State Administration for Religious Affairs.

Clerics who resisted this had been subjected to oppression, including long imprisonment torture and even martyrdom.

Pope Francis told the journalists he wanted dialogue with China and the only thing he asked in return was for the Catholic Church to be able to operate freely.

Source: www.punchng.com/news/i-have-two-or-three-years-to-live-pope-francis/

1 Like

Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Blackfire(m): 4:48am On Aug 20, 2014
all i can say is ...WOW!
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by impromptu: 5:00am On Aug 20, 2014
Oh Noooooooooooooo

Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Dreal1247: 5:00am On Aug 20, 2014
He knows better. But i think he should have made a positive confession that will silence the situation. I believe, all shall go in accordance with the perfect will of the Almighty God.

2 Likes

Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by tiswell(m): 5:13am On Aug 20, 2014
Long live the his holiness

1 Like

Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by otokx(m): 5:49am On Aug 20, 2014
China sha, always operating on a different level.

1 Like

Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by 2cato: 6:19am On Aug 20, 2014
Why cant he stays till death like our mamas and papas in the lord?
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by eunisam: 6:49am On Aug 20, 2014
God is with you in life and death.
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by remmyton(f): 7:07am On Aug 20, 2014
May God always be wit u, Papal Francis

2 Likes

Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by mayorall(m): 7:09am On Aug 20, 2014
How did he know?.

Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by thorpido(m): 7:12am On Aug 20, 2014
This pope sabi mis-yarn.
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Krak(m): 7:24am On Aug 20, 2014
Pope please shut up and talk some sense.

Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by kokoA(m): 7:30am On Aug 20, 2014
mayorall: How did he know?.
His doctors maybe.
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Nobody: 7:45am On Aug 20, 2014
Krak: Pope please shut up and talk some sense.
fooool

2 Likes

Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Krak(m): 8:12am On Aug 20, 2014
gboru: fooool

Fooolishhh
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Nobody: 8:26am On Aug 20, 2014
Now I know that the saying is true; good things don't last...

1 Like

Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by bcomputer101: 8:27am On Aug 20, 2014
Krak: Pope please shut up and talk some sense.

if i say WOE UNTO YOU, you won't like it...
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Rufex07(m): 8:29am On Aug 20, 2014
hmmm...
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by lirusehn(m): 8:38am On Aug 20, 2014
ok
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Krak(m): 8:48am On Aug 20, 2014
bcomputer101:

if i say WOE UNTO YOU, you won't like it...

Threath is not the answer, man.
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by kevoh(m): 9:06am On Aug 20, 2014
Bowing out when the Ovation is loudest! Now that's Logic and Common Sense which I agree with.
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by emmanuel4758(m): 9:17am On Aug 20, 2014
Krak:

Fooolishhh
foolest
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Krak(m): 9:27am On Aug 20, 2014
emmanuel4758: foolest

Karanbani
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by asadike(f): 9:28am On Aug 20, 2014
my dear pope,pls dont put urself in d place of God, evn if u loose ur lungs and kidney, God stil has d final say to ur destiny. As 4 me sha, me i wish u long lyf coz u ar a very peaceful man. D world nids more people lyk u sir.
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Nobody: 9:39am On Aug 20, 2014
Krak:

Fooolishhh
... U know this..
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Donkaz(m): 9:42am On Aug 20, 2014
*Sipping my kunu quietly and looking around*
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by jdilight(m): 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2014
This is a prophecy in fulfillment. After him the last pope will emerge by name Peter.
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by redsun(m): 12:32pm On Aug 20, 2014
What have you got to lose pope? From heaven on scorching earth to heaven in heaven? grin
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Ochoiho: 2:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
You said there is no Hell or Heaven, experiencing the truth may be sooner than expected if death comes in three years but I pray that God will heal you.
Re: I Have Two Or Three Years To Live –pope Francis by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 20, 2014
What about Jonathan?

(1) (Reply)

Gombe Under Attack. Boko Haram / I Have Had Enough Of Adams Oshiomhole!!!!!!! / FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.