Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,925 members, 7,806,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. - Education (132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. (588225 Views)

JAMB: Share Your Experience / When Is Your Exam Date,time And Name And Score If You Gotten Yours / UNIZIK Post-UME Candidates: What's Your Score? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Emzenoz(m): 9:04pm On Aug 17, 2022
Good evening everyone, pls can I use IELTS UKVI acedemics for a work visa as proof of english proficiency?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Hoii(m): 1:42pm On Aug 18, 2022
Greetings guys. Please help me with details.
I want to go for my Masters in the US.
How do I go about it, what should I do, how to get admission, etc
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Thegamingorca(m): 1:55pm On Aug 18, 2022
TheMbano:

Yes I did. After almost 5 months and an appeal, they released it. R-9 L-9 W-7 S-7. They claimed they held it because they suspected malpractice and I appealed for them to carry out an investigation.

Lmao
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by DGreatACO(m): 11:54am On Aug 19, 2022
Good day all.
I just saw my test result for Academic Module with the BC:
L - 7
R - 6.5
W - 7
S - 8
Overall - 7
I found the resources and test tips that people shared on this forum so invaluable and I benefitted immensely from them.
Thanks guys.

5 Likes

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by LadyPortable(f): 10:04am On Aug 20, 2022
TheMbano:

Yes I did. After almost 5 months and an appeal, they released it. R-9 L-9 W-7 S-7. They claimed they held it because they suspected malpractice and I appealed for them to carry out an investigation.

Thanks dear
How do I go about the appeal? Its 2 months + yet no response from them.I'm just confused pls. What do you advise I do? Can I rewrite...sobs
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by LadyPortable(f): 10:08am On Aug 20, 2022
Davido97:

Yes we have created a group for this purpose please try the link below it should direct you to the group and if it doesn't kindly contact me

Link: https:///BkS9c1YjUuwEkUrEZbqzGj

Kindly add this no 07038447417
Wrote on June 11 2022
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by TheMbano: 2:41pm On Aug 21, 2022
LadyPortable:

Thanks dear
How do I go about the appeal? Its 2 months + yet no response from them.I'm just confused pls. What do you advise I do? Can I rewrite...sobs

They suggested I request for an appeal after I constantly disturbed them via mails to release my results for about 2 months. If you don't have time to go through this process, you can just rewrite but I wasn't going to let them smear my name when I did nothing wrong so I didn't budge till they released it.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by LadyPortable(f): 6:51pm On Aug 21, 2022
TheMbano:

They suggested I request for an appeal after I constantly disturbed them via mails to release my results for about 2 months. If you don't have time to go through this process, you can just rewrite but I wasn't going to let them smear my name when I did nothing wrong so I didn't budge till they released it.

Mine is almost 2 months now. I've been disturbing them via mail all these while, but all they could tell me was to await the outcome of the investigation panel since they can't do anything about it
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Hibiscus62: 6:19pm On Aug 22, 2022
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by B2consult111: 10:35pm On Aug 22, 2022
MORE TO KNOW ABOUT IELTS AND TOEFL ALSO THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN IELTS AND TOEFL,
WHICH ONE YOU SHOULD TAKE?

Find out which English language exam is better for you - IELTS or TOEFL iBT. We give you all the information to help you decide which test you should take.

All international students who want to study in an English-speaking country need to show they have the required level of English. There are a few English language exams that are accepted by universities all over the world, we’re going to focus on two of these: IELTS and TOEFL.
Before we continue, let’s look at what these names mean. IELTS is the International English Language Testing System. TOEFL is the Test of English as a Foreign Language.
To apply to university you will need to take the IELTS Academic test or TOEFL iBT. These tests can be taken at test centres in your own country. You can find your nearest test centre by following these links: IELTS and TOEFL. The cost of the tests are also set by the test centre in your country so contact them to find out the cost.
Both tests are accepted by top universities in different countries all around the world but they are very different in terms of structure and question types. Read on to find out more about each of these tests to decide which one you should take and which one is better for you.

What is the difference between IELTS and TOEFL?
These two tests are owned by different testing organisations. IELTS is jointly owned by: the British Council, Cambridge Assessment English and IDP Australia (of which Hotcourses Abroad is an affiliate). The test is written and administered by Cambridge Assessment English. It is the British Council and IDP Australia who run the test centres around the world.
TEOFL iBT is owned, written and administered by the Education Testing Service (ETS) an organisation in the USA.
To help, here's an overview of the main similarities and differences between the two tests:
IELTS Academic TOEFL iBT
Method Paper and Online Online
Length 2 hours 45 minutes 3 hours 15 minutes
Scores 0-9 0-120
Results 13 days 10 days
Marking Human examiners and automated marking (machine marking) Human examiners and automated marking (machine marking)
Accepted by 11,000 organisations worldwide 11,500 organisations worldwide
Format of tests
Although they both test the four skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking, they do so in different ways:

IELTS Academic Questions TOEFL iBT Questions
Listening 30 mins 40 41-57 mins 28-39
Reading 60 mins 40 54-72 mins 30-40
Writing 60 mins 2 tasks 50 mins 2 tasks
Speaking 11-14 mins 3 parts 17 mins 4 tasks

Test Question types

IELTS has various question types. A mix of these will appear in the Listening and Reading tests:

Multiple choice
Matching
Plan, map, diagram labelling
Form, note, table, flow-chart, summary completion
Sentence completion
Summary completion
Short answer questions
True/False/Not Given
Yes/No/Not Given

TOEFL iBT is made up of multiple choice questions (where you select and answer from options, A, B, C or D).
IELTS vs TOEFL – Listening
A common myth is that IELTS is British English and TOEFL is US English but the fact is that both tests have a range of English accents: North American, British, Australian and New Zealand accents.
There are four parts to the IELTS Listening test, with ten questions each. Parts 1 and 2 are in a general English context. Parts 3 and 4 are in an academic context. Parts 1 and 3 involve more than one speaker whereas Parts 2 and 4 are monologues (only one person speaks).

There are 2 types of listening items in the TOEFL iBT test: lectures and conversations, both of which use the language you would be expected to hear and use at university. The test is made up of:
3 to 4 lectures with six questions each
2 to 3 conversations with two speakers with five questions per conversation.

IELTS vs TOEFL – Reading
There are three passages (texts) in the IELTS Academic Reading test with a total of about 2,750 words. Passage one and two have thirteen questions each. Passage three has fourteen questions. Remember that these questions will cover a range of question types (see above). The reading texts come from books, journals, magazines, newspapers or websites. You are not expected to know the subject matter well. You will be able to answer the questions based on the content of the text.

TOEFL iBT has three or four reading passages with a total of 700 words each. Each passage has ten multiple-choice questions. As with IELTS, you aren’t expected to know the subject matter and will be able to answer the questions based on the content.

IELTS vs TOEFL – Writing
There are two tasks in both the IELTS and TOEFL Writing tests. Task one of the IELTS Academic Writing test has information presented in a graph, chart, table or diagram. You have 20 minutes to complete the task and to write a minimum of 150 words. In task two you have 40 minutes to write a minimum of 250 words answering a discussion question. Task two is worth double the marks of task one. If you’re taking the paper-based IELTS test, both tasks will have to be handwritten.

TOEFL iBT task one is very different. This task is integrated with both reading and listening. You have to read a short passage and listen to a short lecture. You then have to write a response based on what you have read and listened to. Task two is writing an essay based on your personal experience or opinion on a given topic. You have a total of 50 minutes for the writing test.

IELTS vs TOEFL – Speaking
The main difference between the two tests is that the IELTS Speaking test is done with an examiner either face-to-face or on a video call. The test is recorded for training and verification purposes. Your test is marked by the examiner and verified by other examiners if necessary.

In the TOEFL iBT test, you listen to questions, and you then speak your answers into a microphone. Your answers are marked by a combination of AI (computer-rated) and human reviewers.
The IELTS test may or may not be taken on the same day as the other parts of the test whereas TOEFL iBT is taken on the same day as the other parts.
IELTS Speaking has three parts: Part one – you give personal information and discuss everyday subjects. In part two you are given a task in which you have one minute to prepare your answer. You then have two minutes to give your talk. The final part is a discussion with the examiner on a topic related to the one in part two.
Like the TOEFL Writing test, the Speaking test is integrated. Question one requires you to answer questions based on your own ideas, opinions and experiences. Question two requires you to listen and speak, or listen, read and speak. You have preparation time before you have to respond to each question.

IELTS vs TOEFL Scores
For IELTS you are given a band score of between 0-9 for each of the skills and then you are given an overall band score. You can find more information on these bands and their descriptors on the IELTS website.
In TOEFL iBT you are given a score range of 0 to 30 for each skill and a total score 0 to120. You can find a more detailed breakdown of the TOEFL iBT scores for each of the skills and what they mean on the ETS website.

Different courses at different levels at universities around the world have specific English language entry requirements. Below is a table to show what IELTS and TOEFL iBT scores are needed at different course levels.

Degree level IELTS TOEFL iBT
Foundation 5 35-45
Undergraduate 6 60-78
Postgraduate 7 94-101

Here are how the scores compare:

IELTS band score TOEFL iBT score
0-4 0-31
4.5 32-34
5 35-45
5.5 46-59
6 60-78
6.5 79-93
7 94-101
7.5 102-109
8 110-114
8.5 115-117
9 118-120

for more to know between IELTS AND TOEFL YOU CAN DM THROUGH WHATSAPP 08039211169........

2 Likes

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Bryanbella(f): 3:16am On Aug 27, 2022
Please has anyone requested for a change of text date and location from British council? How long did it take to get an approval?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by aliandro(m): 8:23pm On Aug 28, 2022
Please,Have anyone ever send an email to British Council concerning transfer of exam date due to exposure to a patient with covid 19 and got a positive response?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Anfieldboss: 9:45am On Aug 31, 2022
DGreatACO:
Good day all.
I just saw my test result for Academic Module with the BC:
L - 7
R - 6.5
W - 7
S - 8
Overall - 7
I found the resources and test tips that people shared on this forum so invaluable and I benefitted immensely from them.
Thanks guys.

Please how can I get materials for IELTS, I'm writing mine next month. I have just about 3 weeks to prepare.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by DGreatACO(m): 1:07am On Sep 03, 2022
Anfieldboss:

Please how can I get materials for IELTS, I'm writing mine next month. I have just about 3 weeks to prepare.
If you can, download the Official Cambridge Books for IELTS and practise with them.
IELTSLiz was a good online resource I found useful too.
I equally made a cursory reference to ielts-up.com for reading and writing tips.

1 Like

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by ogk8082: 11:27pm On Sep 04, 2022
Anfieldboss:

Quote me , let’s talk
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Nobleluqz(m): 4:46am On Sep 05, 2022
You actually don't need IELTS before you can study in some developed countries like Canada and the likes if you already study in English language and from an English speaking country like Nigeria.

Watch the video below learn more. I saw it on YouTube though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJnLbdbi8xI
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by neduboo(m): 2:01pm On Sep 07, 2022
Please how can I send my official result to different institution. British council allows you to send your results to up to 5 institution which I have exhausted. Please how can I send it to more institution?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Mosimileoluwaaa: 3:50pm On Sep 07, 2022
Good day.

To get your desired band Score in IELTS Test you would need to prepare a plan that fits your lifestyle and schedule ( most especially for the busy workers).

And also get the right IELTS Materials for the you IELTS Test type ( this depends on the program you are applying for and country).

Do not overload your self with information. You can ask someone you know that has taken the exam and has their desired band score to give you materials and also give some advice.

There is this Free IELTS Training video that has the strategies that has been able to get over 600 students an overall band score of 7.5 and above.

If you are interested Please Text the Whatsapp Number 08021254879 to get access.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by HustlingHustler: 12:16pm On Sep 10, 2022
Hi guys,
I am trying to apply for MSc and I also working on migrating.
My question is if I write the IELTS general (which is suited for Migration purposes), can I use it to apply for MSc?
Alternatively, if I write the IELTS Academics, can I use it for migration purpose?
Or do I need to write both IELTS General and Academics to use for the different purposes?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Col84: 9:04am On Sep 11, 2022
Please should whatsp me 07035760651.want to be equipped Abt IELTS..
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Erebeshe: 2:30pm On Sep 13, 2022
Since you have plans for both masters and migration, you may need need to write both. As they are both independent of each other and one can't be replaced for the other. 'vv
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Erebeshe: 2:31pm On Sep 13, 2022
victorVIC1:
Hi guys,

Please which of the following option is right for someone who intends studying in UK?

Academic as long as it is undergraduate or graduate level

UKVI is for work and below degree level applications.

1 Like

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by victorVIC1(m): 3:13pm On Sep 13, 2022
Erebeshe:

Academic as long as it is undergraduate or graduate level

UKVI is for work and below degree level applications.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by protonz(m): 10:32pm On Sep 15, 2022
Can one write the exam with the new premium NIMC card ??
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by CarrilT(m): 8:32am On Sep 17, 2022
Any recommendations on links for people to help mark/assess writting task for IELTS
Kindly help a brother out
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by meetme01: 7:13pm On Sep 18, 2022
hardeorlah:
site for ielts practise test
WWW.goodluckielts.com
WWW.dcielts.com
WWW.ieltsbuddy.com
WWW.aceielts.com
WWW.ielts-mentor.com
WWW.ieltsessential.com
WWW.ipassielts.com
then this last site you can submit you can type and submit ur writing test both task 1 n 2 dey will mark it n give you a band score dis will help u know how well you r on track for d writing test d site is WWW.testbig.com
lastly don't forget d road to ielts site which is accessible few days after your payment have been confirmed.

hope this help. thanks

1 Like

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Abd9292: 5:19pm On Sep 24, 2022
Pls how much does it cost to apply for IELTS academics and how is done?....
Am I paying with my card or as bankdraft?
Thanks in anticipation
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by festuso2(m): 7:14pm On Sep 28, 2022
Good evening,

Please who wrote their IELTS on the 15th September 2022? My wife wrote hers on that date and her result is meant to be out today 28th. Been checking since morning and result isn't out yet.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Anfieldboss: 3:08am On Sep 30, 2022
festuso2:
Good evening,

Please who wrote their IELTS on the 15th September 2022? My wife wrote hers on that date and her result is meant to be out today 28th. Been checking since morning and result isn't out yet.

I presume your wife wrote Paper Based Test. I wrote mine September 24, CBT and my results were released today. You guys should just keep checking.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Zyzman: 3:04pm On Sep 30, 2022
Hello Guys Please I want to write IELTS,
I need help on cost of the exam and can i write it at home or do i go to the accreditated centre.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by meetme01: 3:11pm On Sep 30, 2022
Anfieldboss:

I presume your wife wrote Paper Based Test. I wrote mine September 24, CBT and my results were released today. You guys should just keep checking.

Wow..CBT seems to be much better and faster than Paper. I wrote same day with you. Hopefully 7th October, our results should be out.

Hope you had your required band? All the best in our future endeavours.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (159) (Reply)

2013/2014 Obafemi Awolowo University ::ASPIRANTS:: / University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates / 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.