Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (279) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (865690 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 10:38am On Jan 09, 2015
@Visaofficer

Happy New Year...

Its good to see you checking on us here..

Keep the good work going..

Wishing you a blissful day ahead..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 10:42am On Jan 09, 2015
mountmos:
Good morning, I'm a M. Sc student in Mycology/Biotechnology currently in my 2nd semester with 1more semester to go. I need guides on how to apply for Phd program in USA.
Thanks.

First thing to do is to make Google your friend so that you can use that to search for schools and pick the one of your choice..

Contact the schools via email or phone to know their requirements and also make sure you contact prof in that school to let him/her know your area of specialization for your Phd

Also you need to write GRE so as to help you during your application to secure funding since you going for Phd program

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 10:43am On Jan 09, 2015
STENON:
AMEN....
I'm very eager to read your success Transcript here.....You have been so helpful on this forum...
God will help you.

Amen and thanks so much for your best wishes..

Am also waiting for your own success transcript too
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by warpedlogician: 10:43am On Jan 09, 2015
mountmos:
Good morning, I'm a M. Sc student in Mycology/Biotechnology currently in my 2nd semester with 1more semester to go. I need guides on how to apply for Phd program in USA.
Thanks.

Check the schools websites.
Many program requirements are similar to msc applications except you may need to talk to profs etc for admission and the criteria for admission is way tougher.
It just depends on the school.
Also research experience is more important than in msc applications since phd is all about research.

Most importantly, are you willing to do a PhD??
From what I've read online, It's a long hard road. Think am well o.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 10:44am On Jan 09, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Your responses are good too! smiley

Okay, I'm going back to my thread now. Please forgive my interruption. Have a great day!

Thank you for enlighten us here more..

We don't think you interrupted us because your responses were useful and interesting.. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jan 09, 2015
mountmos:
Thanks.
still planning to go further in mycology? I love this ...I've sent u a pm...reply
I don't really knw those schools that offer mycology as a major but try, check and email western Illinois university ....they've got so many great profs in mycology...but bros you gast get a very high score in GRE to be considered for scholarship/fundings...and your SOP gast tight.....anywhich way, make Google ur Frnd and search more on schools....

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by squash1986(m): 3:13pm On Jan 09, 2015
squash1986:
@justwise, hello house.
I know dis may not be the right place to bring up this question,but I can't find where to drop this question. Since there are so many nairalanders studying in the States and I am aspiring to study in the States, I guess I have to ask my question here. I have a GPA of 2.45 in engineering. I want to do a Masters in Engineering. Most of the Universities i want to study at (particularly some institution at carlifornia,b'cos i've got relations in carlifornia. The idea is to stay at their place and go to school) are requesting for an average GPA of 3.0. What do I do, how do I apply to do a PGD in these universities,has anybody had this kind of issue b4 and how did they overcome. This opportunity presenting is only for this schools within sacramento and east bay.Please, I need advice and help to go about this issue before the closing of the admission for spring reaches. Thank you.
This is very funny,nobody can help a brother with an information. Its very sad.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by worry359(m): 3:21pm On Jan 09, 2015
squash1986:

2.4 is a very low GPA brother needs to help himself.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by biikeys(m): 3:28pm On Jan 09, 2015
squash1986:

Yes your CGPA is low, but you can always get schools that fit your profile. I would say write your GRE/TOEFL and try to get really good scores, get good letters of recommendation, SOP etc. Those enhance your profile. Research and focus on Mid to Low Tier Universities, and don't limit yourself to a particular state. Good luck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by squash1986(m): 4:25pm On Jan 09, 2015
worry359:

2.4 is a very low GPA brother needs to help himself.
Unfortunately,I'm trying to.I'm pretty sure my case is not the worst on nairaland.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Teeboy22(m): 4:31pm On Jan 09, 2015
VisaOfficer:

There's a very simple solution. If you ask us to return your passport, we will; and then when you come to Nigeria this summer, you can do your interview then. You won't have to pay additional fees, as you have a year from the start of your application to come see us.

We do need to interview you in person before your case can be processed, and we don't make exceptions for people who sent their passports to Nigeria with a relative even though they knew that the dropbox is solely for Nigerians who are physically present in Nigeria. At some point, you're going to have to come talk to us.

The fact that you have a pending immigration petition does not matter to us all that much. It's perfectly okay to be a student visa holder and have a pending immigration petition. That fact is really irrelevant to your case, especially considering you've already received a student visa from us. I see people on these forums writing that you can't have both and that you're going to get in trouble, and that just highlights to me why it's a bad idea to ask for specific legal advice from the general public instead of, for instance, asking a Visa Officer.*

Based on what you've written here, and given that you have an open student visa renewal application, it's doubtful that you would qualify for parole.

*No offense to all the good people who are offering each other advice and encouragement. It's just that every once in a while there's some misinformation out there.
hello sir pls i want to apply for a us visit visa pls how do i start and what re d documents i will need 2 get d visa tnx...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by squash1986(m): 4:36pm On Jan 09, 2015
biikeys:

Yes your CGPA is low, but you can always get schools that fit your profile. I would say write your GRE/TOEFL and try to get really good scores, get good letters of recommendation, SOP etc. Those enhance your profile. Research and focus on Mid to Low Tier Universities, and don't limit yourself to a particular state. Good luck!
@biikeys.Thank you to reply to my post. Carlifornia is the State I was asked to concentrate on as I mentioned earlier, I have relations in that State. Please,if you are very conversant with American Universities Carlifornia State University Sacramento, San Francisco State University, Carlifornia State University East Bay are they Mid to Low Tier Universities or does anybody have any knowledge about these universities cos these are universities I've been limited to apply to. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jan 09, 2015
Why not consider schools in the neighbouring states?
Nevada, Oregon, Arizona?
squash1986:

@biikeys.Thank you to reply to my post. Carlifornia is the State I was asked to concentrate on as I mentioned earlier, I have relations in that State. Please,if you are very conversant with American Universities Carlifornia State University Sacramento, San Francisco State University, Carlifornia State University East Bay are they Mid to Low Tier Universities or does anybody have any knowledge about these universities cos these are universities I've been limited to apply to. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by foohard: 5:09pm On Jan 09, 2015
Oh.. When I say hide, I didnt mean to hide the pregnancy but to hide from appearing alone since she was denied recently.

Classicalmusic:
Hiding pregnancy before VO is an offense to the eyes. She should be honest and go through proper route for giving birth in United States.

Yes, applying for visa on time is advantageous and the embassy encourages it.

Also, you may wait for that person to become a full-citizen before filing for you. But if you cannot wait, you may just hold go ahead with him.

Sis, I am not saying that it is you because it might be another person.

Being a citizen means jumping queue and also not on first-come, first-serve basis with PR.

PR means you have to be on the queue and it takes quite long to get to your turn.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by foohard: 5:25pm On Jan 09, 2015
Thanks zeezah.. Yeah, her hubby can handle the bill. Thank you for your response.

zeezahbee:
its not so early to apply because my roomie graduated last December and her family had gotten their visa like way back in October. The embassy even support you to apply early incase of denial or any processing. So they are free to apply in Feb as long as they have the school IV and yours as well. As for your sister , she shouldn't talk about her pregnancy if she's not asked. Once she get her visa, she could email the embassy telling them about her plans of coming for your graduation and also having her baby, as long as she can foot the hospital bills, she should be fine
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Chars1289: 8:41pm On Jan 09, 2015
Longest time house and happy new year. I want to register for Gre test;i would like to know if the paypal method of payment is still valid. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Classicalmusic: 8:45pm On Jan 09, 2015
foohard:
Oh.. When I say hide, I didnt mean to hide the pregnancy but to hide from appearing alone since she was denied recently.

Are you talking about group interview now? First of all, do you have any clue on why her application was turned down? Was it her first time at the Embassy? How many siblings are you inviting to the United States?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 9:58pm On Jan 09, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Good job, bigfrancis21! cheesy

But there's no need to discuss this at length by phone or otherwise. A succinct e-mail to LagosNIV@state.gov arranging to have the passport returned will suffice.

Thank you for the commendation, VisaOfficer.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jan 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Thank you for the commendation, VisaOfficer.
Bro, I got extension letter from the graduate cordinator permitting me to arrive school 20th of Jan. Please, would there be my issues at the POE? What do I tell them?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Feexo: 10:41pm On Jan 09, 2015
Peeps, Compliment of the season. Does anyone know someone that attends Murray State University in Kentucky? Kindly help as this is urgent and important. Thanks!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 09, 2015
Feexo:
Peeps, Compliment of the season. Does anyone know someone that attends Murray State University in Kentucky? Kindly help as this is urgent and important. Thanks!
Cc richard4ssky and aadeyeni(f)..
They are both in Murray state uni....

Afeez omo Oba....longest time bro...how's obamaland
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 10:56pm On Jan 09, 2015
slimmy05:
Bro, I got extension letter from the graduate cordinator permitting me to arrive school 20th of Jan. Please, would there be my issues at the POE? What do I tell them?

No. That's not a problem at all. By obtaining the letter you've officially extended your resumption date from that on your I20 to that on the letter. On arrival at the POE, present the border official with your letter of extension and you will be fine.

You need not worry.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by MrRoYCe(m): 11:01pm On Jan 09, 2015
Walspring:
I deferred my application last month and today i got a mail from a school sending me new updated I-20.

Dunno if its summer or fall

My prayer is that God should see me through this year 2015.

Ameeeeeeeeen
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

No. That's not a problem at all. By obtaining the letter you've officially extended your resumption date from that on your I20 to that on the letter. On arrival at the POE, present the border official with your letter of extension and you will be fine.

You need not worry.
Thanks bro. We gotta prepare well, can't just jump on a plane. You know how it is smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jan 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You need not worry.
I just booked with qatar and paid via card. My flight confirmation have been sent to my email. Please, how do I select seat and how do I know which is close to the window. Kindly assist. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by jenns(m): 11:17pm On Jan 09, 2015
Hello house, please help soolve my curiosity

Do I need to take my Dad SOA at POE
What are the necessary document I need to have with me at the POE
Is there a certain amt in USD I need to have in my pocket at the POE
What is the best excuse to use if I arrive 28days before resumption.
Finally , is there any procedure in answering the Immigration office at the POE.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by lalavita: 11:50pm On Jan 09, 2015
If your sister's intention is to attend your grad AND give birth, she should be forthright at her interview. She should tell the VO and be prepared to present proof that she has made arrangements with a dr and hospital plus she has the funds to afford it. Many people are given visas for this purpose. After the birth, she should pay her bills and keep the receipt.
There is a whole thread on NL devoted to USA births.

https://www.nairaland.com/617280/give-birth-usa-cost-procedure

Disadvantages of 'hiding' her pregnancy at her visa interview include possibly being turned back upon arrival in the US and/or being denied when she goes to renew her visa after having the baby. Good luck.

foohard:
Hi People,

My graduation is May 5, and I want to invite my siblings. I got letter from school and would write mine.. My concern is, one of my siblings want to come in before the graduation (she is pregnant, due before graduation and want to deliver here) say like February but she want to hide under the long list of others. I dont want her to appear alone so soon again because she was denied late last year when I invited her alone (I sensed it is due to lack of travel history but she visited France after the denial and just returned). Can they appear at the embassy like first week in February for an event that would hold on the 5th of May? Is it too early? please advice.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by aadeyi: 12:01am On Jan 10, 2015
Someone should please help with email address for GRE materials pls.........

Plus please will they ask you for hotel reservation at the point of entry of you are going to resume straight in the school or do schools have allowance for that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by ridimic1: 12:13am On Jan 10, 2015
big francis d VO smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 10, 2015
mountmos:
Thanks.

Mountmos, does it mean u compressed ur four semesters into three? How did u do that?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Feexo: 1:29am On Jan 10, 2015
profojah:

Cc richard4ssky and aadeyeni(f)..
They are both in Murray state uni....
Afeez omo Oba....longest time bro...how's obamaland

Thanks for reaching out man mi... God has been wonderful... I was wondering how to get the emails of: Richard4ssky and aadeyeni, so that I can contact the right away.

(1) (2) (3) ... (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.