Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,196 members, 7,807,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana (5864 Views)

4 killed, 7 injured in renewed clash over oil on Anambra/Kogi border / Over 40 Killed In Renewed Nasarawa Attack / 11 Killed In Renewed Violence In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by Awalla: 9:08pm On Aug 22, 2014
Ghana Battling acute Cholera outbreak which the Biggest Hospital in Ghana Korle Bu General Hospital management have lamented being overwhelmed by cases . More than 85 death and 2000 affected.
Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by Zakkyoz: 9:13pm On Aug 22, 2014
May God heal them. Their hatred for my country cannot stop me from praying for them.

7 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by tit(f): 9:13pm On Aug 22, 2014
Ordinary cholera?
Ghana is a joke.

5 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by SantaMafia: 9:27pm On Aug 22, 2014
tit: Ordinary cholera?
Ghana is a joke.
foooolish goat! cholera kills thousands in your sh1thole country. arrant nonsense! shitnigeria is no more a joke.It is cursed!

Cholera kills 1,555 in Nigeria, says U.N.
By the CNN Wire Staff

Nigeria has suffered its worst cholera outbreak in recent years. Other African countries such as Sudan, pictured, also suffer.
Nigeria has suffered its worst cholera outbreak in recent years. Other African countries such as Sudan, pictured, also suffer.
Lagos, Nigeria (CNN) -- A cholera outbreak in Nigeria has killed more than 1,500 people, the United Nations said Tuesday.

It is the worst cholera outbreak in Nigeria in recent years. The number of cases is three times higher than last year and seven times higher than in 2008, the United Nations Children's Fund said.

The outbreak has led to 40,000 cases in Nigeria and resulted in 1,555 deaths, UNICEF said. Women and children account for four of every five cases, the agency said.

The disease's spread seems to have been largely contained in Nigeria, where new cases are still being reported in parts of the country, particularly the northeast, the United Nations said.

Cholera: What causes it and how it spreads?

Several hundred deaths also have been reported in Cameroon, which borders Nigeria.

"There's a lot of people crossing over the border all the time," Dr. Eric Mintz of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said. "So it's not surprising that cholera is also crossing over the border." Mintz is leader of the global water sanitation and hygiene epidemiology team for the Atlanta-based CDC.

Cholera is caused by a bacterial infection of the intestine and, in severe cases, is characterized by diarrhea, vomiting and leg cramps, according to the CDC. In such cases, rapid loss of body fluids can lead to dehydration and shock.

"Without treatment, death can occur within hours," the agency has said.

A person can get cholera by drinking water or eating food contaminated with the bacteria. During epidemics, the source of the contamination is often the feces of an infected person, and infections can spread rapidly in areas where there is poor sewage treatment and a lack of clean drinking water.

The disease kills about 120,000 people a year, according to the World Health Organization.

Two-thirds of rural Nigerians lack access to safe drinking water, and fewer than 40 percent of people in affected areas have access "to toilet facilities of any description," the Nigerian Health Ministry said in August.

3 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by pussygotlips: 9:36pm On Aug 22, 2014
Na dia own ebola be that?

Abeg fg should close our boarder sharply

9 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 22, 2014
SantaMafia: foooolish goat! cholera kills thousands in your sh1thole country. arrant nonsense! shitnigeria is no more a joke.It is cursed!

By the CNN Wire Staff

Lagos, Nigeria (CNN) -- A cholera outbreak in Nigeria has killed more than 1,500 people, the United Nations said Tuesday.

It is the worst cholera outbreak in Nigeria in recent years. The number of cases is three times higher than last year and seven times higher than in 2008, the United Nations Children's Fund said.

The outbreak has led to 40,000 cases in Nigeria and resulted in 1,555 deaths, UNICEF said. Women and children account for four of every five cases, the agency said.

The disease's spread seems to have been largely contained in Nigeria, where new cases are still being reported in parts of the country, particularly the northeast, the United Nations said.

Several hundred deaths also have been reported in Cameroon, which borders Nigeria.

"There's a lot of people crossing over the border all the time," Dr. Eric Mintz of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said. "So it's not surprising that cholera is also crossing over the border." Mintz is leader of the global water sanitation and hygiene epidemiology team for the Atlanta-based CDC.

Cholera is caused by a bacterial infection of the intestine and, in severe cases, is characterized by diarrhea, vomiting and leg cramps, according to the CDC. In such cases, rapid loss of body fluids can lead to dehydration and shock.

A person can get cholera by drinking water or eating food contaminated with the bacteria. During epidemics, the source of the contamination is often the feces of an infected person, and infections can spread rapidly in areas where there is poor sewage treatment and a lack of clean drinking water.

The disease kills about 120,000 people a year, according to the World Health Organization.

Two-thirds of rural Nigerians lack access to safe drinking water, and fewer than 40 percent of people in affected areas have access "to toilet facilities of any description," the Nigerian Health Ministry said in August.
Hey there Man, you don't call the country of my birth shit, cursed etc.
What's with you? I guess you are a citizen of Ghana, you'd to defend your country! I have no qualms with that. But the terms you used in describing Nigeria while trying to defend your country, is hardly becoming.
Plz desist from such in future.

16 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by overhypedsteve(m): 9:45pm On Aug 22, 2014
Don't worry America will soon promise to help them after which the world bank boss will arrive in his kantaka mobile to declare the ghanian economy as enviable.

8 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by SantaMafia: 9:48pm On Aug 22, 2014
RuudNisterooy: Hey there Man, you don't call the country of my birth shit, cursed etc.
What's with you? I guess you are a citizen of Ghana, you'd to defend your country! I have no qualms with that. But the terms you used in describing Nigeria while trying to defend your country, is hardly becoming.
sharaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! do your worst! arrant nonsense! I can call your country any name I want and there is nothing you or any body else can do about it! rubbish nonsense!

2 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by overhypedsteve(m): 9:49pm On Aug 22, 2014
RuudNisterooy: Hey there Man, you don't call the country of my birth shit, cursed etc.
you will need to do more than that for this dim witted folks to understand you. You re free to go through my posts and see my various scuffle with them in defence of national integrity
Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by Nobody: 10:02pm On Aug 22, 2014
SantaMafia: sharaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! do your worst! arrant nonsense! I can call your country any name I want and there is nothing you or any body else can do about it! rubbish nonsense!
Lol. Even Pple when no get ''breeze for yansh'' for real life, go come online come dey form commandoes..
I'll just pass. I've accorded you too much attention already.

23 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 22, 2014
overhypedsteve: you will need to do more than that for this dim witted folks to understand you. You re free to go through my posts and see my various scuffle with them in defence of national integrity
choi! You've the time o bros. I know how you feel. It hurts.
But for your own good, i think it'll be better to just ignore sometimes.
Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by Caseless: 10:05pm On Aug 22, 2014
SantaMafia: [s]foooolish goat! cholera kills thousands in your sh1thole country. arrant nonsense! shitnigeria is no more a joke.It is cursed!

By the CNN Wire Staff

Two-thirds of rural Nigerians lack access to safe drinking water, and fewer than 40 percent of people in affected areas have access "to toilet facilities of any description," the Nigerian Health Ministry said in August.[/s]
feeb, you are just a headless ghana chicken! How do u use what happen in Nigeria to justify what happen in ghana? What a blithering flatulence. The way u guys talk about ghana, one would expect that ghana is free from all the 'third-W' country diseases like cholera and here we're with an outbreak.

12 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 22, 2014
overhypedsteve: Don't worry America will soon promise to help them after which the world bank boss will arrive in his kantaka mobile to declare the ghanian economy as enviable.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by SantaMafia: 10:12pm On Aug 22, 2014
caseless: feeb, you are just a headless ghana chicken! How do u use what happen in Nigeria to justify what happen in ghana? What a blithering flatulence. The way u guys talk about ghana, one would expect that ghana is free from all the 'third-W' country diseases like cholera and here we're with an outbreak.
rubbish talk! arrant nonsense! "The way you guys talk about Ghana" and what is that fooooolish statement supposed to mean? you sound like a mad person! I only know one sh1thole that has declared itself the giANT of africa, and it is not Ghana! such rubbish!

1 Like

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by lilprinze: 10:13pm On Aug 22, 2014
Lol common cholera is the one that's killing more than 85 people in Ghana then what would happen if Ebola enter Ghana about 850 people would die in about 1 month if they cannot control cholera its Ebola they can control .

2 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by SantaMafia: 10:15pm On Aug 22, 2014
RuudNisterooy: Lol. Pple when ''no get breeze for yansh'' for real life, go come online come dey form commandos..
I'll just pass. I've accorded you too much attention already.
hahahaha commandos indeed! you deserve to be burnt alive in the sambisa forest or some fvckwd up place in your acclaimed sh1thole!

1 Like

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by SantaMafia: 10:17pm On Aug 22, 2014
lilprinze: Lol common cholera is the one that's killing about 85 people in Ghana then what would happen if Ebola enter into Ghana about 850 people would die in about 1 month if they cannot control cholera its Ebola they can control

cholera killed more than 1,000 people in your country. is that a clear indication your country cannot handle ebola? you talk like a fooooooooooooooool

2 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by lagdmark(m): 10:19pm On Aug 22, 2014
Nigeria should help Ghana with finance to curb this national disaster CHOLERA that is killing people in the tiny west African ghana .The president of Ghana said in Abntv that the money to care for the patients is not included in the budget

2 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by Nobody: 10:21pm On Aug 22, 2014
This is a Nigerian forum so what the heck are some Ghana e-idiots doing here? I can understand if South Africa drags superiority in Africa with Nigeria but I can't bear a terribly underdeveloped and "below underdeveloped" country like Ghana talking ills of their master, Nigeria undecided

9 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by lilprinze: 10:24pm On Aug 22, 2014
SantaMafia:

cholera killed more than 1,000 people in your country. is that a clear indication your country cannot handle ebola? you talk like a fooooooooooooooool
shut up jare if cholera killed 1000 people in Nigeria then it means cholera has killed 20000 people in Ghana already. I cannot even remember the last time up to 100 people died of cholera in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by SantaMafia: 10:32pm On Aug 22, 2014
lilprinze: shut up jare if cholera killed 1000 people in Nigeria then it means cholera has killed 20000 people in Ghana already. I cannot even remember the last time up to 100 people died of cholera in Nigeria.

Sh1thead dog barking like the MUMU ape that he is, huh? Suffering and smiling, huh? Dirty, ugly pig

By the CNN Wire Staff
October 26, 2010 -- Updated 1637 GMT (0037 HKT)

1 Like

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by poiZon: 11:34pm On Aug 22, 2014
SantaMafia: foooolish goat! cholera kills thousands in your sh1thole country. arrant nonsense! shitnigeria is no more a joke.It is cursed!

By the CNN Wire Staff

if u believe any that come out from UN site then u will believe me when i say i spanked nadia buari.
na nigerians dey bloat dis figures just to tk swindle UN

3 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by poiZon: 11:34pm On Aug 22, 2014

By the CNN Wire Staff

if u believe any that come out from UNN site then u will believe me when i say i spanked nadia buari.
na nigerians dey bloat dis figures just to tk swindle UN
Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by poiZon: 11:35pm On Aug 22, 2014

By the CNN Wire Staff

if u believe any that come out from UN site then u will believe me when i say i spanked nadia buari.
na nigerians dey bloat dis figures just to tk swindle UN of their funds.

1 Like

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by tsolz90(m): 12:02am On Aug 23, 2014
Blackie;As an outsider, what do you think of the human race?Believe me, I don't want to make a monkey out of you. Why should I take all the credit?Brains aren't everything. In fact, in your case they're nothing!
SantaMafia: rubbish talk! arrant nonsense! "The way you guys talk about Ghana" and what is that fooooolish statement supposed to mean? you sound like a mad person! I only know one sh1thole that has declared itself the giANT of africa, and it is not Ghana! such rubbish!

2 Likes

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by lilprinze: 12:04am On Aug 23, 2014
SantaMafia:

Sh1thead dog barking like the MUMU ape that he is, huh? Suffering and smiling, huh? Dirty, ugly pig

By the CNN Wire Staff
October 26, 2010 -- Updated 1637 GMT (0037 HKT)

chi see lie in 3d graphics 1555 people died of cholera in 2010 in Nigeria even though it is true which I know it's not true that's 4 years ago

1 Like

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by mrking3(m): 12:04am On Aug 23, 2014
SantaMafia: sharaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! do your worst! arrant nonsense! I can call your country any name I want and there is nothing you or any body else can do about it! rubbish nonsense!
someone needs to remind this Retarddd that he's on Nairaland! Not Ghanaland!! Dude ... Get the fvck out of here!!

1 Like

Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by Descartes: 12:15am On Aug 23, 2014
overhypedsteve: Don't worry America will soon promise to help them after which the world bank boss will arrive in his kantaka mobile to declare the ghanian economy as enviable.
Wale112 will be shitting in his pants on hearing this development and seeing this your post. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by SantaMafia: 12:21am On Aug 23, 2014
mrking3: someone needs to remind this Retarddd that he's on Nairaland! Not Ghanaland!! Dude ... Get the fvck out of here!!
fvck off, magg0t! such a fooooooooooooooooooooooooooool consider it an honour that I even had the time to visit a fvcked up shitnigerian site. is this really a shitnigerian site? how come they spend all their fvcking time talking about Ghana/Ghanaians, instead of talking about how to rescue those little female apes from sambisa forest? arrant rubbish!
Re: More Than 85 Died In Renewed Cholera Outbreak In Ghana by SantaMafia: 12:28am On Aug 23, 2014
lilprinze: chi see lie in 3d graphics 1555 people died of cholera in 2010 in Nigeria even though it is true which I know it's not true that's 4 years ago
undernourished, undereducated, underemployable eediot! cholera kills people in your sh1thole every single day! cholera kills more people in your country than any other country in the world grin deluded lunatics! na today?

Nigeria: MSF treats overs 13,500 cholera patients
http://www.msf.org/article/nigeria-msf-treats-overs-13500-cholera-patients

17 July 2014

Abubakr Bakri/MSF
From January, more than 15,500 cholera cases were reported in five months in Bauchi state, Nigeria. About 14 000 of those were treated by MSF teams.
The cholera outbreak which began in January in Bauchi State, northeastern Nigeria, is now over. More than 15,500 cases were reported and about 14 000 of those were treated by MSF teams in Bauchi.

Outbreak more significant than four years ago
14 of the 20 districts of Bauchi State were affected by the cholera outbreak, however, Bauchi district accounted for over 90 per centof all the cases reported (population of Bauchi district is nearly 608,000). Two weeks after the beginning of the outbreak, MSF decided to intervene , beginning with a cholera treatment unit (CTU)of 30 beds in Kandahar (asuburb of Bauchi town) then a 150 beds cholera treatment center (CTC) at the main teaching hospital of Bauchi Town.

"This outbreak is more significant than the one we faced four years ago in the same State. Number of cases is higher but fortunately the case fatality rate remained low at 0.5 per cent, bringing the number of deaths to 83 so far", said Dr Abubakr Bakri , head of mission in Abuja.

Preventive measures
Between 40 and 45 per cent of cases were severe, requiring hospitalization for intravenous rehydration. In total, MSF teams treated over 8,500 inpatients in the cholera treatment centers. 30 oral rehydration points were set up by MSF in the district to treat non-severe cases.

In this type of epidemic and especially in a country or a city where the population are in the hundreds of thousands, it is important to contain the outbreak through preventive measures such as targeted hygiene measures to avoid contamination (especially of drinking water). In Bauchi, water supply is mainly from either public or private wells.

Water chlorination
The logistics strategy deployed by MSF was very much needed and very important. "We sent out 15 teams to go around Bauchi district conducting bucket chlorination and targeted well chlorination. The strategy also involved health education and hygiene messages”. The chlorination of water sources campaign was accompanied by preventive hygiene, transportation of drinking water, and treatment of wastewater.

"This intervention was successfully conducted in close collaboration with Bauchi State Ministry of health and the State’s Primary Health Care Development Agency”, Dr Abubakr Bakri said.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Breaking News : Sen. Magnus Abey Appointed Dg Namada. By President Buhari. / Is Nollywood Mocking or praising Biafra? (pics) / Cracks Rock Anambra Flyover Bridge, Road Users Beware!! - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.