Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:58 PM

Before You Get That Tattoo - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Before You Get That Tattoo (32901 Views)

Unsterilised Needle Used By Tattoo Artist On A Lady Affects Her Skin / Girl Born 'with A Permanent Tattoo Of A Dog Kissing A Bunny' / The Hidden Risks Of Getting A Tattoo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before You Get That Tattoo by Firefire(m): 10:53am On Aug 23, 2014
Today, people from all walks of life have tattoos, which might lead you to believe that tattoos are completely safe.

A tattoo is a permanent mark or design made on your skin with pigments inserted through pricks into the skin’s top layer.

Typically, the tattoo artist uses a hand-held machine that acts much like a sewing machine, with one or more needles piercing the skin repeatedly. With every puncture, the needles insert tiny ink droplets.

The process which is done without anesthetics causes a small amount of bleeding and slight to potentially significant pain.

You could be the proud owner of a new tattoo in a matter of hours but don’t let the ease of getting tattoos stop you from making a thoughtful decision about permanent body art. Before you get a tattoo, make sure you know what’s involved. Also, be certain that tattooing is the right decision for you.

Tattooing as an art form has been used for centuries by tribal societies in religious rites and as a natural part of life. At first banned and then appropriated by Western culture, tattoos have recently developed as a decorative art of self-expression used by some to celebrate events, memorialise a departed loved one, or as a show of commitment to a life partner. There is one thing for sure: all tattoos have a story. What’s not so clear is exactly what we’re injecting into our skin for art’s sake. Interestingly, a frighteningly growing number of teens and young adults around the world are injecting dangerous chemicals under their skin in the name of art and self-expression.

Without full disclosure of ingredients, it is impossible to know for sure what is in tattoo ink. Many of today’s tattoos contain an unknown conglomeration of metallic salts (oxides, sulphides, selenides), organic dyes or plastics suspended in a carrier solution for consistency of application. Many of the chemicals found were originally intended for use in writing and printer inks, as well as automobile paints. These inks are injected so deep into the skin that, often, tattoos will not even be destroyed by severe burns.

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by Firefire(m): 10:54am On Aug 23, 2014
The carrier solution itself might contain harmful substances such as denatured alcohols, methanol, rubbing alcohol, antifreeze, detergents, or formaldehyde and other highly toxic aldehydes. Many people have reported reactions to the intensely colored plastic-based pigments. Allergic reactions have occurred with some of the many metals put into tattoo inks, nickel being one of the most common metal allergies. Some inks were found to have high levels of lead, some contained lithium, and the blue inks were full of copper.

Experts have pointed out that skin infections, psoriasis, dermatitis and other chronic skin conditions, and tumours (both benign and malignant) have all been associated with tattoos. Due to the use of needles in tattoo application, there is also the risk of contracting infectious diseases such as tetanus, herpes simplex virus, staph, HIV, AIDS, Hepatitis B and C, and even Syphilis. Since tattoo instruments come in contact with blood and bodily fluids, diseases may be transmitted if the instruments are used on more than one person without being sterilised. However, infection from tattooing in clean and modern tattoo studios employing single-use needles is rare. With amateur tattoos, however, there is an elevated risk of infection.

According to a medical doctor at Femis Hospital, Unity Road, Ilorin, Kwara State, Dr. Otun Adewale, there are many dangers associated with tattoos, because the instruments used may not be sharp enough and this could cause injury to the skin, soft tissues and blood vessels.

“Even the ink used contains high metallic salt which has been linked to birth defects, cancer and reproductive problems. It can also causes breakage of the continuity of the skin epithelium hence, affecting the barrier protective function of the skin, and blood vessels such as blood borne infection, HIV, hepatitis B and C, tuberculosis, tetanus, vasculitis and haematoma, among others,” he stated.

He explained further that it is not only permanent tattoos that are hazardous to human health, but also the temporary tattoos.

He said, “though Henna (what we call laali) and some other temporary tattoos’ chemical are quite different from that of permanent one and its effect might not be much when compared to the permanent tattoo, sometimes, they have the same side effects. It can cause skin redness, de-pigmentation and hyperkeratosis, among others.”

According to experts, reactions to tattoo pigments can be triggered by exposure to sunlight. People who are sensitive or allergic to certain metals may react to pigments in the skin with swelling and/or itching, and/or oozing of clear fluid called serum.

Dermatologists have observed rare but severe medical complications from tattoo pigments in the body, and have noted that people acquiring tattoos rarely assess health risks prior to receiving their tattoos. Some medical practitioners have recommended greater regulation of pigments used in tattoo ink. The wide range of pigments currently used in tattoo inks may create unforeseen health problems such as; infection, reaction to inks, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) complication, dermal conditions, delayed reactions.

However, medication or other treatment including possible removal of the tattoo might be needed if you experience an allergic reaction to the tattoo ink or you develop an infection or other skin problem near a tattoo.

While stating that permanent tattoo could also be removed partially or wholly through different methods available, Dr. Adewale said that the removal was dependent based on availability of skilled personnel, types of ink used and how deep the tattoo was into the skin.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/quicklinkss/ask-the-doctor/item/14060-before-you-get-that-tattoo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by Firefire(m): 11:01am On Aug 23, 2014
Know the risks

Tattoos breach the skin, which means that skin infections and other complications are possible. Specific risks include:

•Allergic reactions. Tattoo dyes — especially red, green, yellow and blue dyes — can cause allergic skin reactions, such as an itchy rash at the tattoo site. This can occur even years after you get the tattoo.

•Skin infections. A skin infection — which might cause redness, swelling, pain and a pus-like drainage — is possible after tattooing.

•Other skin problems. Sometimes bumps called granulomas form around tattoo ink. Tattooing can also lead to keloids — raised areas caused by an overgrowth of scar tissue.

•Bloodborne diseases. If the equipment used to create your tattoo is contaminated with infected blood, you can contract various bloodborne diseases — including tetanus, hepatitis B and hepatitis C.

•MRI complications. Rarely, tattoos or permanent makeup might cause swelling or burning in the affected areas during magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exams. In some cases, tattoo pigments can interfere with the quality of the image — such as when a person who has permanent eyeliner has an MRI of the eye.

Medication or other treatment — including possible removal of the tattoo — might be needed if you experience an allergic reaction to the tattoo ink or you develop an infection or other skin problem near a tattoo.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/in-depth/tattoos-and-piercings/art-20045067

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by Firefire(m): 11:04am On Aug 23, 2014
@ Chaircover, can U please push this post to fp for wider reading and knowledge. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by Tallesty1(m): 11:10am On Aug 23, 2014
I hate tattoos

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by Firefire(m): 11:18am On Aug 23, 2014
Tallesty1: I hate tattoos

Some love it. They should know the danger.
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by Sageez(m): 10:59pm On Aug 24, 2014
d admins wunt c dis one. I hate tatooz

1 Like

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by iasotea(m): 8:22am On Apr 02, 2015
Hello guys, Please, does any1 know of what to use to remove scars? probably a cream or where i can get original Python fat? (i heard it works)
I heard a keloid treatment in ibadan on my cheek and earlobe. I had been carrying it around for years and i had lost hope in any treatment available for it. Surprisingly, these people treated me and within 2 months, my keloid growths were gone. The place is called GILEAD beauty care located at shopping complex at Gate. For any1 interested, you can call them on 08032067212 and 08039459691
Now please i need help with the scar left after the keloid / bumps is gone. No bleaching creams please. but preferably, if any1 can recommend where to get this python fats of a thing..
Hope some1 helps

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by Nobody: 12:46pm On Apr 02, 2015
Mtcheew,is like even attracting us self.

1 Like

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by niceguy7(m): 12:47pm On Apr 02, 2015
I hate tattooo with passion.

1 Like

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by Nobody: 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2015
^^^ seconded
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by Bonapart(m): 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2015
Who doesn't know tatoo is mark of the beast already

1 Like

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by constance500: 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2015
Okay. Next smiley
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by RYANAYO(m): 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2015
Photos/video: Two policemen fight each other in public
See video at http://sharebitemag..it/2015/03/photosvideo-two-policemen-fight-each.html

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by adesegun121(m): 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2015
Ok
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by joystickextendr: 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2015
shocked shocked angry
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by ChinemeOkpan: 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2015
Firefire is this your new calling?

Are you not working for JK's victory?

2 Likes

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by LewisO: 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2015
I hate tattoos badly!

2 Likes

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by MKO4ever(m): 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2015
ok sir
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by suptol(m): 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2015
I wonder what would drive a sane person to tattoo his body. kiss
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by akugbemike(m): 12:50pm On Apr 02, 2015
Ok
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by EagleScribes: 12:50pm On Apr 02, 2015
Nice one. He who has an ear.....
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by Nobody: 12:50pm On Apr 02, 2015
"Tattooing as an art form has been used for centuries by tribal societies in religious rites and as a natural part of life. [size=14pt]At first banned and then appropriated by Western culture[/size]"

Many Africans have forgotten this. Same thing with piercings. It was taken from OUR culture. But now it's "unAfrican". Thanks missionaries.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by zikuma: 12:50pm On Apr 02, 2015
too goody now bobo
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by fpeter(f): 12:52pm On Apr 02, 2015
The only reason i won't get a tattoo is because the Bible forbids it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by darksuit(m): 12:52pm On Apr 02, 2015
b
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by SirShymexx: 12:52pm On Apr 02, 2015
Lol.

It depends on the tattoo artists/parlour and skin type. I have got loads of tattoos and I'm getting more this summer (probably four more).

Apart from the pain - it's pretty much smooth sailing.

2 Likes

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by jaybee104(m): 12:53pm On Apr 02, 2015
scam..everything has its own side effect, even water does.. tattoo has its own,but just little
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by godoluwa(m): 12:53pm On Apr 02, 2015
Some will throw my comment to the thrashbin but to be honest, am posting this from experience. tattoo killed a guy in my area. after that d guy av d tattoo, he resumed to his work that very hour. his apprentice just discovered that their healthy looking master fell down & they scream for help. we took d guy to the hospital where he was pronouced dead. d autopsy shows his death was as a result of damages done to some of his body cells through intoxication of chemical used while making the previous tattoo & failure to rest after making his current tattoo. tattoo causes skin cancer.

2 Likes

Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by Nobody: 12:53pm On Apr 02, 2015
Tattoos can cause your skin to sag. Real ewww!
Re: Before You Get That Tattoo by ozoigbondu: 12:54pm On Apr 02, 2015
Tattoo is a waste of time and to me a sign of poor upbringing

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of Ogun State Tricycle Ambulances / Baby Aisha Mustapha Born With Heart Outside Her Chest Dies / Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus: Young People Are Not Immune From Coronavirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.