Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,414 members, 7,781,201 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:34 AM

Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread (5516 Views)

We’re Going Bankrupt, Non-oil Exporters Cry Out / 25 Hot-in-demand Non-oil Products To Export From Nigeria / PART 1: NIGERIAN OIL INDUSTRY AND FUEL SUBSIDY: FACTS, MYTHS & HIDDEN TRUTH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by shizzleStar: 6:49pm On Aug 23, 2014
The major producers of food and cash crops are the middle particularly Benue, nasarawa and plateau

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by Collynzo14: 6:50pm On Aug 23, 2014
I have never seen such a facts-twisting analysis in all my life.
In addition the the other lies told by the OP which have been bursted above, he also attributed Nigeria's footwear exports to the North and Southwest, however a look at the footwear manufacturing companies in Nigeria, shows that 80% of them are located in Abia state, south east Nigeria.
http://companylist.org/Nigeria/Keywords/Footwear_Exporters/

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by omenka(m): 6:50pm On Aug 23, 2014
atlwireles:

Majority of Northern farming is done in the North central. Beans, tomatoes, ginger, Onions, pepper, cashews,yams and today rice are produce mainly in Taraba, southern kaduna, plateau, Nassarwa, Parts of bauchi,kogi and benue.
Are you sure the highlighted are not derived from the core North?? And I think the East produces a lot of cashew nuts too. And whenever people say "Aba made" I count it as a complement and a pointer to the fact that lots of finished consumer products are derived from there.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by prophetone(m): 6:52pm On Aug 23, 2014
Arysexy: Mumu op, so ABA made footwears are in SW. Were is palm export?

keep delluding urself

You think Nigeria exports Tony Him-finger? grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 23, 2014
The region with enough land and agricultural ability can never suffer.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by shizzleStar: 6:53pm On Aug 23, 2014
Collynzo14: I have never seen such a facts-twisting analysis in all my life.
In addition the the other lies told by the OP which have been bursted above, he also attributed Nigeria's footwear exports to the North and Southwest, however a look at the footwear manufacturing companies in Nigeria, shows that 80% of them are located in Abia state, south east Nigeria.
the op is one mischievous and deluded iddiott, his mission is simply to propagate falsehood about the SE and swindle the minds of uninformed Nigerians

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by omenka(m): 6:54pm On Aug 23, 2014
This even goes to further illustrate our interdependence. The North produces the raw materials that is being used to drive that industry which is hyde and skin. This is why I don't subscribe to calling any region "parasitic."

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by omenka(m): 6:55pm On Aug 23, 2014
shizzleStar: the op is one mischievous and deluded iddiott, his mission is simply to propagate falsehood about the SE and swindle the minds of uninformed Nigerians
I'm sure we can make our points without insults. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by shizzleStar: 6:58pm On Aug 23, 2014
omenka: I'm sure we can make our points without insults. smiley
OK! I just hate mischevious people and liars

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by eaglechild: 6:59pm On Aug 23, 2014
A cassava industrial revolution in Nigeria
www.fao.org700 × 597Search by image
Benue and Kogi state in the North Central Zone are the largest producers of cassava (IITA, 2004). Map 2-1 Crop Production by State 2002

Considering cassava is Nigeria's staple food this map should be food for thought

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by atlwireles: 7:00pm On Aug 23, 2014
omenka: Are you sure the highlighted are not derived from the core North?? And I think the East produces a lot of cashew nuts too. And whenever people say "Aba made" I count it as a complement and a pointer to the fact that lots of finished consumer products are derived from there.

Taraba produces lots of ginger and southern kaduna produces lots of beans too. Even Nassrawa is not left out ... There are certain varies of beans produced in adamawa borno axis. Since boko haram, that whole area's farming is down. But the bottom line is, the so called food basket is north central Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by prophetone(m): 7:00pm On Aug 23, 2014
Collynzo14: Rubber is grown in Edo, Delta, Ondo, Ogun, Abia, Anambra, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Rivers, Ebonyi and Bayelsa States where the amount of rainfall is about 1800 mm to 2000 mm per annum.
www.foramfera.com/index.php/investment-opportunities-in-nigeria/item/527-natural-rubber-export-from-nigeria-the-opportunities

You forgot to mention the remaining states mentioned in your link. It says Rubber is cultivated in 18 states of the Federation. You and I know that it cannot be in commercial quantity. THOSE STATES IN BOLD DO NOT PRODUCE RUBBER IN EXPORT QUANTITY.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by Collynzo14: 7:04pm On Aug 23, 2014
prophetone:

You forgot to mention the remaining states mentioned in your link. It says Rubber is cultivated in 18 states of the Federation. You and I know that it cannot be in commercial quantity. THOSE STATES IN BOLD DO NOT PRODUCE RUBBER IN EXPORT QUANTITY.
Yeah because ProphetLiar said so, it must be true.
Go away in shame man.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by Nobody: 7:05pm On Aug 23, 2014

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by prophetone(m): 7:06pm On Aug 23, 2014

Quit deceiving your people. We are talking about the contribution of regions to the National economy, you are talking about producers of Adibbas, Tomy Hinfighter and Bathroom slippers. What are the components of export-quality shoes? Leather & Rubber (North and SW/SS). Keep trying.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by Feraz(m): 7:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
prophetone:
What do you mean they don't produce in export quantities? You implied the SE isn't adding anything to Nigeria and he brought facts yet you come up with the above? BTW, why did you lump the SW as the only ones producing rubber when the link from the Rubber Research Institute shows various states? Yet you accuse him of leaving other states out? Doesn't it show that you aren't being truthful to yourself?

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by IGBOSON1: 7:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
eighTHREAD: The region with enough land and agricultural ability can never suffer.

^^^Land cannot till and cultivate itself you know!

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by Collynzo14: 7:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
prophetone:

Quit deceiving your people. We are talking about the contribution of regions to the National economy, you are talking about producers of Adibbas, Tomy Hinfighter and Bathroom slippers. What are the components of export-quality shoes? Leather & Rubber (North and SW/SS). Keep trying.
Keep twisting facts, your lies have already been exposed for all to see.
So which footwears does Nigeria actually export? The likes of Armani, Nike and Aerosoles? Where are those companies located in Nigeria?
Rubber? 4 south east states produce that.

Go and hide in shame liar.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by omenka(m): 7:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
atlwireles:

Taraba produces lots of ginger and southern kaduna produces lots beans too. Even Nassrawa is not left out ... There are certain varies of beans produced in adamawa borno axis. Since boko haram, that whole area's farming is down. But the bottom line is, the so called food basket is north central Nigeria.
I think that "food basket of the nation" is the Motto of Benue State. Now I don't know how much you know about that state, but I spent a coupla years in the state on deployment and I can tell you, of a truth, that Benue state is overrated when it comes to agro products. The cost of food is no different there than in Warri!!

Granted, it has enormous potential of attaining awesome heights in that regard given its vast arable lands, but presently, they are hugely under utilised.

Even the yams I spoke about earlier could be found in larger quantities in Nassarawa than Benue. I stand to be corrected though.
Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by IGBOSON1: 7:15pm On Aug 23, 2014
Feraz: What do you mean they don't produce in export quantities? You implied the SE isn't adding anything to Nigeria and he brought facts yet you come up with the above? BTW, why did you lump the SW as the only ones producing rubber when the link from the Rubber Research Institute shows various states? Yet you accuse him of leaving other states out? Doesn't it show that you aren't being truthful to yourself?

^^^That fool wouldn't know the truth even if it came up and gave him a well deserved punch in his ignorant face! He's the true definition of pathetic!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by atlwireles: 7:16pm On Aug 23, 2014
omenka: I think that "food basket of the nation" is the Motto of Benue State. Now I don't know how much you know about that state, but I spent a coupla years in the state on deployment and I can tell you, of a truth, that Benue state is overrated when it comes to agro products. The cost of food is no different there than in Warri!!

Granted, it has enormous potential of attaining awesome heights in that regard given its vast arable lands, but presently, they are hugely under utilised.

Even the yams I spoke about earlier could be found in larger quantities in Nassarawa than Benue. I stand to be corrected though.

No doubt about Nassarawa, the state is a food producing machine

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by prophetone(m): 7:17pm On Aug 23, 2014
Collynzo14 you have made no point to counter the fact that the SE produces NOTHING. Your counter claims which I blew to pieces are:

1. Eastern states cultivate rubber - Yes, but not enough to be exported or contribute substantially to the National Economy

2. Anambra produces oil - Lie! Oil was only discovered, just like it was in Sokoto and Adamawa States (Chad Basin), not exploited so again, no contribution to the National Economy.

3. 80% of footwear factories are in Aba - For the twentieth time, we are talking of export quality (i.e rubber and leather) shoes, and not the fake imitations coming out of Aba. Besides it makes no sense for 80% of footwear factories to be located as far away from the source of raw material (North & SW/SS) as possible.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by omenka(m): 7:18pm On Aug 23, 2014
shizzleStar: The major producers of food and cash crops are the middle particularly Benue, nasarawa and plateau
My brother, that Benue thingy is a huge falacy oo!!! Yes, they produce a lot, but not as much as outsiders think. Go to the State (or if u live there) and see the truckload of foodstuffs that enter that state from Nassarawa axis weekly!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by IGBOSON1: 7:18pm On Aug 23, 2014
OP, you do realize South East is a politically engineered construct; whereas Alaigbo is made and blessed by God Almighty, and extends well into Rivers, Delta and Benue States!?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 23, 2014
atlwireles: So rubber is now produced in the SW? I think the plantations owners in Edo, Delta, Bayelsa and Cross rivers state will say other wise. Also Cross rivers is the second highest producer of Cocoa after Ondo.

Uncle you can lie ooooooooo

The largest producer of Cocoa in Nigeria is Ondo State followed by Osun State

http://www.onlinenigeria.com/links/osunstateadv.asp?blurb=353

@OP

I think we we are all contributing to the development of this nation.

No one is useless.

People only come online to bullshit.

I hope this shall not turn to tribal magana shaaa.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 23, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^Land cannot till and cultivate itself you know!
they have the man power that's why they've been feeding the nation.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by IGBOSON1: 7:22pm On Aug 23, 2014
size38: Am from south-south Nigeria. I still repeat and will continue to say it. The Igbos are the real parasites in Nigeria anyhow one view it. Whenever there is mention of oil resources, the Igbos will attach themselves with the south-south. For God sake, we are not the same and one people despite the present romance of the south south and south East due to GEJ's presidency, we are not one. Once GEJ leaves office whether in 2015 or 2019 everything returns back to how it used to be. because we will never support Igbos presidency anytime soon in Nigeria

^^^Shut your stinking mouth, impostor! Care to tell us which ethnic groups make up this 'South South' of yours......and your own particular ethnicity as well!? Let's start from there!

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by warripekin(m): 7:23pm On Aug 23, 2014
Sometimes I wonder what people intend to achieve when they open threads like this on Nairaland. Op whether u accept it or not, the south east contributes more to the GDP than the north. What crude oil from the south east contributes to the GDP far out weighs the non oil export figure you gave above. That aside , we all know the mercantile nature of the ibo man.they are arguably the second largest middle class in Nigeria after the istekiri who out of their minority status don't make much noise. So the south east by the strength of their human capital alone, contribute more to the nations GDP.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by IGBOSON1: 7:24pm On Aug 23, 2014
eighTHREAD: they have the man power that's why they've been feeding the nation.

^^^Feeding which nation!? undecided Did i tell you i get any tomatoes, onions and maize for free from the north? Unlike the awoof oyel money they get from Igboland!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by Nosurrenda: 7:25pm On Aug 23, 2014
Its an assault on our collective intelligence to posit the North has all this untold wealth but yet remains the only region clamouring for unity rather than dissolution.

Anyway most Nairaland regulars know we can never get an objective evaluation of the north from a northerner whose role here is to disseminate falsehood.

Here are some of prophetone aka El rufai's other topics:
The Beasts Of Northern Nigeria
The Lions Den Of Arewa
Why Is Jonathan Standing At The Back Row?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 23, 2014
prophetone: NUMBERS DO NOT LIE

Nigeria earns N305bn from Non-Oil Export – NBS 2013

Nigeria earned about N305.1billion within the first three months of 2013, figures obtained from the National Bureau of Statistics indicate.
A breakdown of the figures highlighted under “2013 Export First Quarter” in the NBS’ report on ‘Merchandise Trade’, showed that export from natural rubber was N158.38 billion; raw cocoa beans attracted N62.198 billion; Sesame seeds, N20,76 billion; cotton yarn, N16.44 billion; and Leather products, N8.56 billion. Similarly, within the period under review, the export value of flowers and buds stood at N8.19 billion; footwear, N7.07 billion; tanned or crust hides, N5.41 billion; frozen shrimps and prawns, N4.96 billion; ginger, N4.09 billion; sacks and bags, N3.84 billion; cigarettes, N2.75 billion; and aluminum alloys, N2.54 billion.

The exports mentioned above, which are captured under the sub-heading, “2013 Export First Quarter” in the NBS report, totaled about N305 billion. However, the NBS further said, “Analysis on exports by section revealed that mineral products contributed N3,034.2billion or 87.9 percent of total exports during the quarter, followed by plastic, rubber and associated articles with N168.1billionn or 4.9 percent; and prepared foodstuffs, beverages, spirit, vinegar and tobacco with N115.2billion or 3.3 percent.

From the 2013 National Bureau of Statistics Report we can deduce;
North
Sesame seeds - N20.76 billion
Cotton yarn - N16.44 billion
Leather products - N8.56 billion.
Flowers and Buds - N8.19 billion;
Tanned or crust hides - N5.41 billion
Ginger - N4.09 billion
Sacks and Bags - N3.84 billion

N & SW
Cigarettes - N2.75 billion
footwear, N7.07 billion

SW
Natural Rubber - N158.38 billion
Raw Cocoa Beans - N62.198 billion
Frozen shrimps and prawns - N4.96 billion

The North remains the backbone of the Cement Industry in Nigeria (Dangote, Sokoto Cement, Obajana, BUA) and has seen a growth of 95.6% in the span of 8 years, beginning 2005 to 2012 according to the Nigerian Cement Industry Report 2013 and with the rapid growth forecasted for the housing sector, the figures are set to rise.

These are Non-Oil Exports. The South-South is responsible for Oil exports. Where does the East lie in the whole equation? What do they produce? Most of Ibo businessmen are traders. PAN Nigeria (owned by ASD Motors, Kaduna) have been producing luxury world-standard cars for the past 30 years, and modern luxury automobiles like the 307 and 508 before newbies like Innoson started cobbling together spare parts from China. Dangote is the King of commerce in Nigeria, paying billions in tax and employing thousands, strengthening the Nigerian economy further. The FG Survey on SME’s showed that a whopping 99% of firms are micro enterprises, and Kano State has the 2nd highest number of SME’s in the country, closely following Lagos.

I think it’s about time the Myth of the North being a parasite, especially being propounded by the REAL PARASITES themselves, is destroyed once and for all. The North contributes a lot to the Nigerian economy and is typically silent, an attribute being abused by the world renowned empty chestbeaters to distract attention from their hollow existence.

Op, thank you for this enlightenment. I will save this thread for future reference. This shoulder make front page

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Non-Oil Industry Discussion Thread by Feraz(m): 7:26pm On Aug 23, 2014
CocoaMerchant:
Uncle you can lie ooooooooo
The largest producer of Cocoa in Nigeria is Ondo State followed by Osun State
http://www.onlinenigeria.com/links/osunstateadv.asp?blurb=353
@OP
I think we we are all contributing to the development of this nation.
No one is useless.
People only come online to bullshit.
I hope this shall not turn to tribal magana shaaa
It's almost turning out to be one since the OP isn't being truthful to himself.

Please, let's discuss like matured people and you'll realize every region contributes to Nigeria.

Then again, doesn't oil palm account for this topic also?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Picture Frame Art Drawing Painting Lagos Nigeria / EFCC Didn't Visit Or Raid Our Office - BUA Group / How To Apply For NIRSAL Microfinance Bank CBN N50bn COVID-19 Loan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.