Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. (54189 Views)

Photos: Rare Pictures Of Ghettos In Lekki / A Trip Back To Titanic(Historical Photos). / 10 Facts About The Titanic That You Don't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by benardtotti(m): 12:48am On Aug 25, 2014
beckyomas:
Does it really matter? But then you can relate to Alexk2's post...
Did God Sink the Titanic?

By Jim Allen

This month marks one-hundred years from the sinking of Titanic, a ship responsible for starting a century-long debate about who or what caused the ship to sink. “1The Titanic, once known as the ‘unsinkable ship,’ collided with an iceberg and sank south of Newfoundland on its maiden voyage. Days before its first voyage, a White Star Line employee boasted, ‘God himself could not sink the ship.’ The wreck’s final resting place remained a mystery until 1985 when oceanographer Bob Ballard found Titanic more than two miles down in utter darkness. Deep sea divers confirmed reports from survivors that the ship had indeed split apart; the bow and stern were found apart and facing in opposite directions.” Ironically, the destruction of Titanic that began a century earlier continues today. A newly discovered bacterium has been eating away at the iron hull since its fateful plunge on April 14, 1912. An engineer from Dalhousie University said in a release, “Aside from the parts made of brass, eventually there will be nothing left of Titanic but a rust stain on the ocean floor.’”
1 Paraphrased from CBC News – Bacteria Dissolving Titanic – 2010

As a Titanic enthusiast, I have mildly studied maritime disasters and have never seen such destruction. The steel super structure of the Titanic was literally torn in half by unimaginable forces and strewn over a wide area, a scene strongly suggesting God reached down from heaven, that fateful night, to undo the arrogance of prideful of willful men. Was the sinking divine retribution? While some think it was, others are not so sure. An inescapable catastrophe, like Titanic, is most often the result of fateful decisions (like links in a chain) that come together and tether people to a single event with little hope of escape. For Titanic, it would appear warnings about the ice fields and irresponsible actions by Captain Smith played key roles in sinking the ship of dreams.

An Inescapable Quandary

One online commenter said about the disaster, “The sinking of Titanic had nothing to do with divine retribution and everything to do with negligent operation of the vessel by the captain and crew. They were overconfident and unfamiliar with the ship. Titanic was a wonderful ship but hard to control, as witnessed by her sister ship Olympic’s collision with the HMS Hawke a few months earlier. Both ships were identical…very large, very powerful, and very new.”

While human arrogance appears to be the best reason for Titanic’s end, others point to the Bible and the employee who said ‘God himself could not sink the ship.’ The sentiment of the indiscreet comment was shared equally among Titanic’s owners, crew, and passengers. Could this widely held “unsinkable claim” by so many produce a direct challenge to God’s sovereignty? Did not Jesus say, “…Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God (Luke 4:12).” Does not all wrath belong to the Lord God (Romans 12:19)?

What Does the Bible Say?

While divine wrath is one possibility, it is my opinion that God did not sink Titanic. God is today (as he was then) operating in grace and truth through Jesus Christ (John 1:17). Yes, God knew about the employee’s comment and the sentiment shared by so many. God knew the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:10), allowing arrogant and imprudent men to plot their own course to destruction (Proverbs 16:25). God knew Titanic would be ripped in half by its own weight and sink to the bottom. God knew Titanic would eventually dissolve into nothing more than a rusty stain on the ocean floor. Ironically, God is now allowing Titanic to continue her maiden voyage but this time powered by bacterium that will take her to a new port called Oblivion.

God’s grace is for today as it was then for those on Titanic. The purpose of God’s grace is to save souls and when necessary the body as well. While some believers survived the sinking, others did not. The lesson for all is no one is guaranteed life beyond any given moment. Yet, the images of Titanic’s transformation from a majestic ocean liner to a rusty stain on the ocean floor is profound and a solemn reminder of God’s sovereignty and eternalness, and of our human impermanence (Psalm 39: 5 and 11).

http://www.blogos.org/keepwatch/divine-wrath.html

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by whitecat007: 12:57am On Aug 25, 2014
But, the historians told old Rose that there was no record of him or his name among the passengers on board the ship
trustedward: original photo of jack Dawson
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by Ab4all(m): 1:17am On Aug 25, 2014
Abbey2sam: No picture of jack(Leonardo DiCaprio)

I don't believe this
1912?? Which jack.... I mean leonardo DiCaprio. Lol

1 Like

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by Nobody: 1:19am On Aug 25, 2014
Danhumprey:

1 Like

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by Nobody: 1:49am On Aug 25, 2014
sunex:

Don't talk dat way, according to d movie, a man tested God's power say not even God can sink the Titanic ship due to how big it is then God showed him how powerful he is... doh innocents suffers d consequence.
Okay, but God should have considered the innocent souls in that ship.
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by babseg(m): 1:58am On Aug 25, 2014
DECOtech: So, who sank the Titanic?

Who or what
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by chloride6: 2:06am On Aug 25, 2014
Okoberry:

God Himself sank it to prove that He is God.

Why are people this silly

Constantly potraying God to be Evil

So you mean that just to prove his might and power, God had to kill thousands/hundreds of people.

Make una dey try reason una statement

God aint a wicked dude

This I know for sure.

The life of that innocent amount of people is just too fucking much to prove your might.

1 Like

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by DECOtech(m): 2:10am On Aug 25, 2014
uzoexcel: wat exactly is ur point? hope u dont wanna say that the people who died were sinners grin grin grin ?

and what is the meaning of 'Pls stop tryn to use human reasoning to explain things that are beyond us?'? what exactly is wrong with us? u never heard of doing research
I'm talking of the point you made or tried to make when you mentioned "Nairaland and one sinner" As for human reasoning and things beyond us, all we know was that someone boasted and was shamed. I think this whole argument about who or what sank a ship 100yrs ago is a waste of profitable time.
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by Divineluv14(f): 4:00am On Aug 25, 2014
Did it really happen??
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by Btruth: 5:09am On Aug 25, 2014
Mzjhulz: What's d use of these pics
...to teach us how to number our days. Vanity upon vanity.., all is VANITY.
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by Nobody: 5:23am On Aug 25, 2014
HAkorehdeh: Just imagine those people built the ship 102 years ago... Nigeria, i pray!
Abi,see the construction yard as at 102yrs ago pic 10&15.God knows what their ship building yard wl look like today
God knows what we looked like 102 years ago
We are still struggling to manufacturer Cars,God will take us there someday undecided

1 Like

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by Nobody: 5:29am On Aug 25, 2014
Konjour:

The drawings were originally made by James Cameron, the Canadian film director and producer

who was in charge of the movie production. There was no Jack Dawson on the Titanic. That's a

fact that is undisputed. If you go to the Merseyside Maritime Museum at Albert Dock, here in

Liverpool, you'd find the original passenger manifest and you won't find any Jack Dawson there.

There was a Joseph Dawson and he's NOT the Jack portrayed in the movie.

So like I had said before, the Titanic disaster was real, and most of the facts were beautifully

presented in the movie with superb special effects, however to generate an even deeper

connection with the audience and to squeeze as much emotion out of all those who would watch

it, the fictional Jack and Rose story was chucked in for astounding measure and it definitely paid

off as we can all attest to. In the real disaster, there were just 37 seconds between the time of

sighting the iceberg to the time at which it grazed the hull of the ship, there were no Jack and

Rose kissing on the main deck to distract the men in the crow's nest.

Everything happened in the blink of an eye, laziness played a part, negligence played a part,

a non uniform code of distress signals played a part, the construction of the ship and its aft

expansion joint with the height of its bulkheads played a part, but overall sheer rotten luck took

them all down to watery graves.

The movie would be no different to the documentary of a tragedy if the additional tit-bits were

not added to spice it up.
I believe his Name didn't show up on the manifest because he won the ticket 5 minutes to the departure,it was Rose that told his story.
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by sunex: 6:01am On Aug 25, 2014
chimoz:
Okay, but God should have considered the innocent souls in that ship.

God knows the best and choose to do wit us wat ever he pleases, I definitely bliv dos Innocent souls had their reward
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by sunex: 6:06am On Aug 25, 2014
elvis10ten: beta tfy. so if i try God on nairaland, then he should kill all the nairalanders because of my sin. another thunder fire you again, because they will might go to heaven is not an excuse. tfy again, how many atheist have dared God and how many have died because of it ?. tfy. So because God owns there life and his action are unquestionable is not a valid reason. i wonder the type of God you serve, because mine is not like yours. xtians

Y tak this personal and y d abusive words , u shuld b careful wit d words u use.. .senseless goat.

For ur info., I av heard of a testified accident that occured due to the owner of a car who removed Jesus's picture frame from a passenger's sit for other people to occupy, this frame was kept in boot which also contains som crates of eggs, wen d accident occured out of the 6 passengers in d car only one person survived with injuries and the car was beyond repair, will u bliv that none of the eggs in the boot got cracked, even the picture frame of Jesus was intact.
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by freshness2020: 7:01am On Aug 25, 2014
oloriadejoke: yes u are right but what I could remember that when he was asked how strong is the titanic his reply was that even God cannot sink it you can just imagine a foolish words from a foolish man .these will teach us never 2 underate God he is not our mate
Thanks my dear... Some persons fail to recognise the relevance of the Most High God! Trying to doo thing with worldly wisdom! Life is far above that.
I received like 10 mentions in less than an hour from people who are yet to understand the things of the spirit..but God in his infinite mercies will continue to multiply our wisdom in Him. Amen.
Have a blessed week!

1 Like

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by freshness2020: 7:06am On Aug 25, 2014
sunex:

Y tak this personal and y d abusive words , u shuld b careful wit d words u use.. .senseless goat.

For ur info., I av heard of a testified accident that occured due to the owner of a car who removed Jesus's picture frame from a passenger's sit for other people to occupy, this frame was kept in boot which also contains som crates of eggs, wen d accident occured out of the 6 passengers in d car only one person survived with injuries and the car was beyond repair, will u bliv that none of the eggs in the boot got cracked, even the picture frame of Jesus was intact.
My broda ♈όϋ don't need to argue with anyone to prove Ūя̲̅ point..until they are filled with the Holyghost they will not understand ♈όϋ . Mind ♈όϋ don't fall for their trap! They will abuse ♈όϋ .
Don't fight aggression with aggression !

1 Like

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by elvis10ten(m): 7:16am On Aug 25, 2014
sunex:

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by elvis10ten(m): 7:23am On Aug 25, 2014
freshness2020:
My broda ♈όϋ don't need to argue with anyone to prove Ūя̲̅ point..until they are filled with the Holyghost they will not understand ♈όϋ . Mind ♈όϋ don't fall for their trap! They will abuse ♈όϋ .
why God hasn't killed all atheist ?
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by freshness2020: 7:30am On Aug 25, 2014
elvis10ten: why God hasn't killed all atheist ?
Yours are miniature compared to His Great Being!
did ♈όϋ say ǻƪƪ? ...so ♈όϋ telling me ♈όϋ know ǻƪƪ the atheists in the world !
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by Fourwinds: 7:49am On Aug 25, 2014
datguru: Did it really happen
are u in dis planet.? or do u think we are here for fairy tale
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by sunex: 7:52am On Aug 25, 2014
elvis10ten: your a big fool. do you know the nature of the incident ? so because he removed jesus picture thats why he had an accident ? then those that have accident with jesus pictures, bible and holy water in there car wat happened to them ? infact you are the biggest fool God created. its ur type that drank and bath with salt to protect ebola. gullible illiterate. how many atheist had died after cursing God ? go to the religious section on nairaland and you see people calling God Dog, how many have died ?

Now i bliv u are an id*iot, u jus an agbero,I dnt discuss wit piple lik u. Broda ode... mayb ur family folo Die for d water, infact nah u suppose first die inside d water.
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by Fourwinds: 7:54am On Aug 25, 2014
Mzjhulz: What's d use of these pics
I believe if u have pics of some great people or acient places u have read., u would like to keep dem. are u a christian.? what about having to get hold of original pics of Jesus Christ..
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by ProfessorPeter(m): 7:56am On Aug 25, 2014
Abbey2sam: No picture of jack(Leonardo DiCaprio)

I don't believe this
and the picture when he 'did' it

1 Like

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by elvis10ten(m): 7:57am On Aug 25, 2014
freshness2020:
Yours are miniature compared to His Great Being!
did ♈όϋ say ǻƪƪ? ...so ♈όϋ telling me ♈όϋ know ǻƪƪ the atheists in the world !
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by Fourwinds: 7:59am On Aug 25, 2014
when I'm with my father(GOD).,He will show me how we lived...memories...sad and good
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by sunex: 8:02am On Aug 25, 2014
freshness2020:

U rit , at least some piple survived the incident, were dos piple better than dos that died ,definitely no... its all God's grace, both the bad and gud piple lives on d grace of God, somtims u see d bad ones succeeding the gud one's bt God has his own master plan. Who are we to question God, even in d bible, God destroyed d earth wit water due to sins , didn't both d gud and bad ones died and dos meant to b saved were saved. Dats y he is God

1 Like

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by sunex: 8:05am On Aug 25, 2014
ProfessorPeter: and the picture when he 'did' it

U no serious
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by elvis10ten(m): 8:11am On Aug 25, 2014
sunex:

Now i bliv u are an id*iot, u jus an agbero,I dnt discuss wit piple lik u. Broda ode... mayb ur family folo Die for d water, infact nah u suppose first die inside d water.
Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by sunex: 8:13am On Aug 25, 2014
elvis10ten: the ones i know on nairaland and my friends. have you been to the religious section ?. any way u changed a belief in me this morning, but i can't believe or worship some one that killed thousands to prove himself.

Wen God destroyed d earth wit water, will u tell me dat its only those that sined that died , yet som were saved.Bro, dere are som tins dat happen that d innocent ones has to bear d consequence too . It happens ds days . D tin is nobody can question God.

1 Like

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by elvis10ten(m): 8:17am On Aug 25, 2014
sunex:

Wen God destroyed d earth wit water, will u tell me dat its only those that sined that died , yet som were saved.Bro, dere are som tins dat happen that d innocent ones has to bear d consequence too . It happens ds days . D tin is nobody can question God.
ok lets leave insults now and face facts. wasn't noah the only righteous man as of then ? after god did that he said he won't destroy the world again, then came the new testament. do you really think if God kill people because of the statements they make many people will be alive ? list how many atheist that god killed ?. have you been to the religious section ? how many of those atheist have god killed ?

1 Like

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by sunex: 8:18am On Aug 25, 2014
elvis10ten: you haven't answered my questions. my family are not gullible like yours, stack illiterate. keep exchanging words with me and show the whole world who u are. when someone ask you a question that you can't answer just say you don't know. retired illiterate. people like u are the ones keeping nigeria like this. olodo of the highest order, who believed removing jesus picture caused an accident. i wonder why flood didn't kill you last year. ur just a liability to the world grin grin grin grin

U jus a bastard ,go confirm dat frm ur mum and Go and read my comment again, I neva said the removal of d pic caused d accident bt God showed them dat he exist by protecting the crates of eggs. Assuming d pic was left in d car, they mit av bn saved... hope u get it now empty skull.

1 Like

Re: 17 Rare Photos Of The Titanic. by teflonwhizz: 8:21am On Aug 25, 2014
beckyomas:
I don't understand, God showed the owner by taking all those innocent lives? Wow! Is God a killer? Would u have said that if you had family members on the titanic? Hmmm
shut up bastard gal

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Pleasure Park Night Views (Photos) / Young Girl Helping Her Mum Fry Yam And Akara Crushed By Jeep In Owerri. Photos / American Visa Application Fee Increased For Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.