Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,919 members, 7,806,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

The Second Coming: When Will Jesus Come Back? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Second Coming: When Will Jesus Come Back? (1176 Views)

Biblical Week Indicates The Second Coming Of Christ To Be Between 2030 - 2035 / The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? / Why Did Jesus Come??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Second Coming: When Will Jesus Come Back? by jamesandrew(m): 3:56pm On Aug 26, 2014
The Second Coming: When will Jesus Come back?
The Bible Passages Christians never think about

Probably the strongest string that ties Christians to their faith is the belief that Jesus, the proclaimed messiah who died over 2000 years ago, will come back in splendour to judge the world and take his followers to heaven. Like most religious teachings, this belief is based solely on “faith”. So embedded is this message in the hearts of the faithful that very few have taken time to study what the Bible actually says about an important part of the second coming—the part every Christian would like to know. When? When exactly is Jesus coming? Unknown to many Christians the Bible gives a very strong clue—a certain time frame as to when Jesus was to be expected back. The fact that not many Christians have actually contemplated these Bible passages is probably one of the most amazing occurrence in Christianity and religion at large.
The following paragraphs will detail passages of the New Testament that talk about the end of the world. You may want to pay attention to the emboldened/underlined words. Let us start with Jesus himself. (The full Scripture quotations have been set out for ease of reference. Bible quotations are in red).
In Matthew 10, Jesus sends out the 12 disciples to evangelise. Verse 5 says: “These 12 Jesus sent out with the following instructions…” Then there is a long list of instructions. However, in verse 23 things get interesting. “When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes”.
Here, we see Jesus telling his apostles that he would return before they have carried the message of the gospel through the towns of Israel. But don’t get excited yet. Let us look at the gospel of Mark, chapter 13. In this chapter, Jesus gives the signs of the end time. He speaks of a "tribulation", nation rising against nation, earthquakes, and the coming of false Christs and false prophets, the stars falling from the sky, and the coming of the Son of Man "in the clouds with great power and glory". Then, in verse 30, he tells when this will happen. "Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done."
Matthew also relates this story: The same earthquakes, false prophets, darkening sun, falling stars, etc., and the return of the Son of Man, "coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." And then in verse 34, he says when to look for all of this commotion: "Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."
In Matthew 24:4 when the disciples asked Jesus about the end of the world, he "answered and said unto THEM", "Take heed that no man deceive you... ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars... Ye shall see the abomination... etc." He is clearly replying to them, telling them what they shall see. He says that THEY shall see these things. Then he concludes by saying: "THIS generation shall not pass" until he comes again.
You think this is conclusive? Hang on. It gets even juicier. The same story is related in Matthew chapter 16. Yet this time, Jesus does not use the word "generation". He again describes how he will come in the glory of his father, with his angels, to judge men according to their works. Then he concludes by saying "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."
That is the final nail in the coffin. Matt. 16:28 says there were some men standing there next to Jesus who will see his second coming, and it is totally clear that in Matthew 24:34 and Mark 13:30, Jesus believed and taught that the end of the world would come during the lifetimes of his apostles. Jesus says so himself. He thought that he was going to be returning in the First Century. He said: "The time is fulfilled, and the Kingdom of God is at hand." (Mark 1:15) Similar statements are to be found in Mark 9:1; 13:30; Matthew 10:23; 23:29-36; and Luke 12:49-50. And just before I go on let me remind you that Jesus' title of "Messiah" literally translated means "inaugurator of the end".
Ok, enough of Jesus now. Let us go to the disciples. They passed on Christianity to us. So what exactly did they think? We will start with Paul, the greatest protagonist of Christianity.
In 1st Thessalonians Chapter 4, Paul predicts the prompt return of Jesus at a time when "…we also … are still alive." (1 Thessalonians 4: 13 – 18 reads: Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive [/b]and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.
Clearly, Paul thought he was going to see the end of the world. There is no greater evidence of this than is found in his letter to the Corinthians:
In 1 Corinthians 7:25-31, Paul writes: 25 Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgment as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy. 26 Because of the present crisis
, I think that it is good for a man to remain as he is. 27 Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife. 28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this.
29 What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they do not; 30 those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31 those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.
Yes. You read correctly. Paul is here asking Christians not to marry! Who would give such advice?! It appears insane to say the least. If people did not marry and procreate, the human race would go extinct. So why was Paul giving such an extremely weird advice? Simple. He believed the world was coming to an end soon. If the world was going to end in a couple of months or years what was the need of raising kids? Simple logic.
Was Paul alone in this thinking? No. Let us see what Jesus’ most beloved disciple has to say.
1st John 2:18: Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. Yes, you read correctly. John was saying back then (2000 years ago) that they were living in the last days. Yes. Back in his time.
Perhaps you may want to argue that the apostles were mistaken but I will restrain you here. If John and Paul could be wrong about this, then we cannot be sure of anything in the bible. And what would it say about Jesus if all his disciples misunderstood him and these were the same people supposed to transmit the gospel to all generations. In Luke 8:10 Jesus told his disciples: “The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,“‘though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand. Also, in Matthew 13:10 : The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables.”
Although I have issues with why a Messiah who came to save the whole world should intentionally speak in parables so that the same people he came to save will not understand him, I will not go into that. My point is that these bible passages show that Jesus clearly explained himself to his disciples. If they and everyone else did not understand him then his mission would have been quite ridiculous. It is true that Jesus once pointed out that no one knows the exact time. In Matthew 24:36, Jesus says: "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.This only means that he could not reveal the exact day or hour, but the period or window of the second coming had already been established. For example, a person can say that he would be visiting you before your graduation but he does not know or will not say the exact day. In this case, Jesus had already told them he would come before they finished going through Israel, and that some of them listening to him would still be alive when he comes. So they knew the time frame but not the exact day or hour, which was why he said he would come like a thief in the night and taught many parables like the ten foolish virgins—parables that were usually about the end of the world.
So, what is my point? Simple. Jesus preached (and his apostles reiterated) that he was going to come back in their time. This teaching has been passed along since then. All you have to do is ask a Christian if Jesus will return during their lifetimes and they will express optimism. People are taught by their priests and pastors that Jesus is "coming quickly", and that they should be prepared, because he might pop up at any moment.
There have been many projected dates in the past. Not surprisingly, these have all been wrong. And they will continue to be. The First World War came and went, the Second came and went. AIDS and Ebola will come and go. The Syrian War will come and go, Al Qaeda and ISIS will come and go, and people will keep on saying these are the signs of the end time. If the Holocaust did not precipitate the end of the world, if the Rwandan Genocide, the Haiti earthquake, tsunamis and hurricanes did not signal the end, what then would?
The sad reality is that the end of the world will not come anytime soon. Jesus will not "come quickly". No. What will happen is that you will continue to live, and work-- the world will continue to go on, past 2015, then 2020, then 2030, and so on, until you grow old and pass away. When you get to be old, at the end of your life, think of this writing. Think of the billions of people that hoped like you, but now repose in their graves. Just like those dead billions, You will never see the end of the world.
(I do not expect to sway Christians by this article. Faith/belief is not based on reason, so articles like this do little to dent an adherent’s belief. Only you can decide. All I ask is for you to think about these things).
Re: The Second Coming: When Will Jesus Come Back? by completey(f): 4:30pm On Aug 26, 2014
the coming of the Lord is at hand. Considering the happenings in the world today. We only need to ask for thegrace to reign with Him. He who has ear let him hear.
Re: The Second Coming: When Will Jesus Come Back? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 26, 2014
jamesandrew: The Second Coming: When will Jesus Come back?
The Bible Passages Christians never think about

Probably the strongest string that ties Christians to their faith is the belief that Jesus, the proclaimed messiah who died over 2000 years ago, will come back in splendour to judge the world and take his followers to heaven. Like most religious teachings, this belief is based solely on “faith”. So embedded is this message in the hearts of the faithful that very few have taken time to study what the Bible actually says about an important part of the second coming—the part every Christian would like to know. When? When exactly is Jesus coming? Unknown to many Christians the Bible gives a very strong clue—a certain time frame as to when Jesus was to be expected back. The fact that not many Christians have actually contemplated these Bible passages is probably one of the most amazing occurrence in Christianity and religion at large.
The following paragraphs will detail passages of the New Testament that talk about the end of the world. You may want to pay attention to the emboldened/underlined words. Let us start with Jesus himself. (The full Scripture quotations have been set out for ease of reference. Bible quotations are in red).
In Matthew 10, Jesus sends out the 12 disciples to evangelise. Verse 5 says: “These 12 Jesus sent out with the following instructions…” Then there is a long list of instructions. However, in verse 23 things get interesting. “When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes”.
Here, we see Jesus telling his apostles that he would return before they have carried the message of the gospel through the towns of Israel. But don’t get excited yet. Let us look at the gospel of Mark, chapter 13. In this chapter, Jesus gives the signs of the end time. He speaks of a "tribulation", nation rising against nation, earthquakes, and the coming of false Christs and false prophets, the stars falling from the sky, and the coming of the Son of Man "in the clouds with great power and glory". Then, in verse 30, he tells when this will happen. "Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done."
Matthew also relates this story: The same earthquakes, false prophets, darkening sun, falling stars, etc., and the return of the Son of Man, "coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." And then in verse 34, he says when to look for all of this commotion: "Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."
In Matthew 24:4 when the disciples asked Jesus about the end of the world, he "answered and said unto THEM", "Take heed that no man deceive you... ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars... Ye shall see the abomination... etc." He is clearly replying to them, telling them what they shall see. He says that THEY shall see these things. Then he concludes by saying: "THIS generation shall not pass" until he comes again.
You think this is conclusive? Hang on. It gets even juicier. The same story is related in Matthew chapter 16. Yet this time, Jesus does not use the word "generation". He again describes how he will come in the glory of his father, with his angels, to judge men according to their works. Then he concludes by saying "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."
That is the final nail in the coffin. Matt. 16:28 says there were some men standing there next to Jesus who will see his second coming, and it is totally clear that in Matthew 24:34 and Mark 13:30, Jesus believed and taught that the end of the world would come during the lifetimes of his apostles. Jesus says so himself. He thought that he was going to be returning in the First Century. He said: "The time is fulfilled, and the Kingdom of God is at hand." (Mark 1:15) Similar statements are to be found in Mark 9:1; 13:30; Matthew 10:23; 23:29-36; and Luke 12:49-50. And just before I go on let me remind you that Jesus' title of "Messiah" literally translated means "inaugurator of the end".
Ok, enough of Jesus now. Let us go to the disciples. They passed on Christianity to us. So what exactly did they think? We will start with Paul, the greatest protagonist of Christianity.
In 1st Thessalonians Chapter 4, Paul predicts the prompt return of Jesus at a time when "…we also … are still alive." (1 Thessalonians 4: 13 – 18 reads: Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive [/b]and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.
Clearly, Paul thought he was going to see the end of the world. There is no greater evidence of this than is found in his letter to the Corinthians:
In 1 Corinthians 7:25-31, Paul writes: 25 Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgment as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy. 26 Because of the present crisis
, I think that it is good for a man to remain as he is. 27 Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife. 28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this.
29 What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they do not; 30 those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31 those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.
Yes. You read correctly. Paul is here asking Christians not to marry! Who would give such advice?! It appears insane to say the least. If people did not marry and procreate, the human race would go extinct. So why was Paul giving such an extremely weird advice? Simple. He believed the world was coming to an end soon. If the world was going to end in a couple of months or years what was the need of raising kids? Simple logic.
Was Paul alone in this thinking? No. Let us see what Jesus’ most beloved disciple has to say.
1st John 2:18: Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. Yes, you read correctly. John was saying back then (2000 years ago) that they were living in the last days. Yes. Back in his time.
Perhaps you may want to argue that the apostles were mistaken but I will restrain you here. If John and Paul could be wrong about this, then we cannot be sure of anything in the bible. And what would it say about Jesus if all his disciples misunderstood him and these were the same people supposed to transmit the gospel to all generations. In Luke 8:10 Jesus told his disciples: “The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,“‘though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand. Also, in Matthew 13:10 : The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables.”
Although I have issues with why a Messiah who came to save the whole world should intentionally speak in parables so that the same people he came to save will not understand him, I will not go into that. My point is that these bible passages show that Jesus clearly explained himself to his disciples. If they and everyone else did not understand him then his mission would have been quite ridiculous. It is true that Jesus once pointed out that no one knows the exact time. In Matthew 24:36, Jesus says: "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.This only means that he could not reveal the exact day or hour, but the period or window of the second coming had already been established. For example, a person can say that he would be visiting you before your graduation but he does not know or will not say the exact day. In this case, Jesus had already told them he would come before they finished going through Israel, and that some of them listening to him would still be alive when he comes. So they knew the time frame but not the exact day or hour, which was why he said he would come like a thief in the night and taught many parables like the ten foolish virgins—parables that were usually about the end of the world.
So, what is my point? Simple. Jesus preached (and his apostles reiterated) that he was going to come back in their time. This teaching has been passed along since then. All you have to do is ask a Christian if Jesus will return during their lifetimes and they will express optimism. People are taught by their priests and pastors that Jesus is "coming quickly", and that they should be prepared, because he might pop up at any moment.
There have been many projected dates in the past. Not surprisingly, these have all been wrong. And they will continue to be. The First World War came and went, the Second came and went. AIDS and Ebola will come and go. The Syrian War will come and go, Al Qaeda and ISIS will come and go, and people will keep on saying these are the signs of the end time. If the Holocaust did not precipitate the end of the world, if the Rwandan Genocide, the Haiti earthquake, tsunamis and hurricanes did not signal the end, what then would?
The sad reality is that the end of the world will not come anytime soon. Jesus will not "come quickly". No. What will happen is that you will continue to live, and work-- the world will continue to go on, past 2015, then 2020, then 2030, and so on, until you grow old and pass away. When you get to be old, at the end of your life, think of this writing. Think of the billions of people that hoped like you, but now repose in their graves. Just like those dead billions, You will never see the end of the world.
(I do not expect to sway Christians by this article. Faith/belief is not based on reason, so articles like this do little to dent an adherent’s belief. Only you can decide. All I ask is for you to think about these things).

Smh..
Re: The Second Coming: When Will Jesus Come Back? by Liveair: 7:54pm On Aug 26, 2014
Fascinating! And some folks will keep ignoring these details.

1 Like

Re: The Second Coming: When Will Jesus Come Back? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 26, 2014
Enter Christian apologists saying :

"It was a figure of speech "

" The word killeth, the spirit giveth life = ignore the parts of the Buy-bull you don't like"

"Don't question god"

And the most used: "Have faith even though you're wrong"

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

6 Men Christian Women Should Avoid / Bible Said Allah Is God And Jesus Is A Prophet / Empowerment For Successful Breakthrough

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.