Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,946 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (46455 Views)

Pictures From The Top 3 New Federal Universities / A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / Can I Get A Job Or Do A Masters Programme With Third Class In Industrial Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 27, 2014
If u've heard of or experienced the several rigorous tests and screening students of federal varsities have passed through before been offered admission, u'll only but agree with me that it's just the best brains in Nigeria that attends federal schs.

Unilag for example have the policy of admitting candidates who generally merit there admission irrespective of the number. Even thier supplimentary list is always choked up with students who have high score but could not still merit the requirementss. Very good examples of such requirements as it affects all engineering candidates/aspirants of the sch is the possession of at least a credit pass in F-maths at O/level, having a minimum of distinction frm a polytechnic before been quailfied for direct entry among others. After all these, some of their students still graduate will third class and pass.

OAU is another sch where where students who merit their admission can sit at home and expect their names in the first admission list of the sch, same applies in U.I and other federal schs.

Apology to the students of the state unis but this does nt happen in state unis, scoring high and meriting admission requirements cant be totally used as a yardstick for admission, just a phone call frm a prominent member of the society will secure one admission. So if they make 3rd class, we can't really blame anyone for it.

After beating all these requirements to be offered admission into the federal university, why do some students still make as low as 2.2, 3rd class and pass from their schools with all the tests they have passed showing their academic prowess

Share your view.

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by dejt4u(m): 8:29am On Aug 27, 2014
You may not understand it if u ar nt in dat shoe.. #WhiteHouseOAU na evil.. Beware!

41 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 27, 2014
dejt4u: You may not understand it if u ar nt in dat shoe.. #WhiteHouseOAU na evil.. Beware!

so are u saying something special is happening in the federal unis nt happening in the state'? And what's the 'white house OAU' abt?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by dejt4u(m): 8:52am On Aug 27, 2014

29 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by KillerBeauty(f): 9:02am On Aug 27, 2014
A thread to bash state universities students/graduate

Op just by twist am

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by hushmail: 9:11am On Aug 27, 2014
even 4 Harvard pple still make third class

bt d 3rd class high pass some first class

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 27, 2014
KillerBeauty: A thread to bash state universities students/graduate

Op just by twist am

No sir, if u've experienced both, u'll agree with me. Even state uni students wont deny it. That does not make their products less worthy to compete with their counterparts across the world.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 27, 2014
hushmail: even 4 Harvard pple still make third class

grin
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by KillerBeauty(f): 9:19am On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

No sir, if u've experienced both, u'll agree with me. Even state uni students wont deny it. That does not make their product world class anyway.

Am not a sir

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 27, 2014
KillerBeauty:

Am not a sir

i edited that post, ma grin

3 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 9:25am On Aug 27, 2014
hushmail: even 4 Harvard pple still make third class

hmmmm
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 9:27am On Aug 27, 2014
lanotipo: hmmmm

hope u're nt doubting him?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 9:31am On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

hope u're nt doubting him?
nope, the quality and standard of learning comes to mind.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 10:26am On Aug 27, 2014
Op you're very wrong!

I was a unilag diploma student some years back. Diploma cutoff for pharmacy was 116. I scored 120. A girl who scored 95 got her admission letter before me. I was shocked! I later learnt the VC had his own list, registrar had her own, even the Oba of Lagos had his own, so it depends on who you know.. People who didn't even know these people found some other ways to 'leg' their ways through..

My brother, except you want to deceive urself, it's a normal Nigerian syndrome.

@OmolodMilkman93 Thanks bro.. My diary is down. I'll open a new one soon.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Donfamous(m): 10:27am On Aug 27, 2014
So u mean academically state unis can't compete with fed unis?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by oluwaKStar(m): 10:32am On Aug 27, 2014
Hey pls..am in ss3...can somebody educate me on how to get to unilag...I mean like d process? How many exams will I write? D content of dis exams? And d minimum scores dat are accepted? ..pls I will be glad if u enlighten mee

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by ednut1(m): 10:39am On Aug 27, 2014
post jamb jamb and waec are not what they teach in uni , forget the so called Merit lots of man know man occurs, there are many factors eg lecturer sadism, student joining cults or becoming club boys, stress, lack of funds etc . and it is a very wrong assertion that private uni students are dull, big lie . i have a friend with 2.1 in economics from convenant she blasted ican without failing while there were first class accounting students in unilorin ican was giving slaps grin

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by alentyno: 10:46am On Aug 27, 2014
Will be back
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 10:52am On Aug 27, 2014
adeoladrg: Op you're very wrong!

I was a unilag diploma student some years back. Diploma cutoff for pharmacy was 116. I scored 120. A girl who scored 95 got her admission letter before me. I was shocked! I later learnt the VC had his own list, registrar had her own, even the Oba of Lagos had his own, so it depends on who you know.. People who didn't even know these people found some other ways to 'leg' their ways through..

My brother, except you want to deceive urself, it's a normal Nigerian syndrome.

@OmolodMilkman93 Thanks bro.. My diary is down. I'll open a new one soon.

We can't rule out the possiblity of this but it's very low compared to the state unis where it's a normal practice.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by MisterLongman(m): 10:55am On Aug 27, 2014
There is this popular notion that lecturers fail their because they don't want them to reach their level... That's why you hear in some schools that a department has never produced a first class or even 2nd class upper student and the department is proud of the status quo..... I don't know if its true or not tho

9 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 27, 2014
Donfamous: So u mean academically state unis can't compete with fed unis?

nope, i didn't say so, i only said since the criteria for admitting into fed unis is very tough, i expect most to graduate with first class and 2.1 even if the ones in the state schs can't graduate with high CGPA due to their various 'mago mago' way of entry.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Donfamous(m): 11:01am On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

nope, i didn't say so, i only said since the criteria for admitting into fed unis is very tough, i expect most to graduate with first class and 2.1 even if the ones in the state schs can't graduate with high CGPA due to their various 'mago mago' way of entry.
now I understand better. Its true
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 27, 2014
ednut1: post jamb jamb and waec are not what they teach in uni , forget the so called Merit lots of man know man occurs, there are many factors eg lecturer sadism, student joining cults or becoming club boys, stress, lack of funds etc . and it is a very wrong assertion that private uni students are dull, big lie . i have a friend with 2.1 in economics from convenant she blasted ican without failing while there were first class accounting students in unilorin ican was giving slaps grin

I'm nt a part of that idea, in every sch, there is a champion, just that some champions are more equal than the others grin . The central idea is that federal unis' criteria and style of admission cant be compared with that of private and state, u should knw beta. We have brains in privates and states but loads and lots of brains are in the federal system.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 11:09am On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

We can't rule out the possiblity of this but it's very low compared to the state unis where it's a normal practice.

Your mind is made up already.. It's a normal practice everywhere.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by HarrveySpecter(m): 11:11am On Aug 27, 2014
All na wash, whether 2.2 from unilag, unn, ilorin, havard, oxford, yale.
If KPMG, TOTAL, NLNG advertise vacancy for graduate, you no go apply!

So stop deceiving/consoling yourselves.

Meanwhile, 2.1 from a polytechnic in zamfara, or state uni in Jigawa will apply.

25 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 27, 2014
MisterLongman: There is this popular notion that lecturers fail their because they don't want them to reach their level... That's why you hear in some schools that a department has never produced a first class or even 2nd class upper student and the department is proud of the status quo..... I don't know if its true or not tho

yea, my friends in uniben says that alot, thou one is a first class student but he complains of it 2. But that's that's nt the case of unilag, they produce first class in that sch. I think unilag produces the highest first class graduates among other federal schs.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 27, 2014
You have very Tangible point there, only committed the crime of generalizing. We have seen students that came through the back door emerging the best graduating student in their respective departments.
To answer your question, Life isn't mathematics where 1+1 is always 2. People change and so do their Intellectual abilities!

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:27am On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

*Calming my nerves* You need to understand something. The mentality that all Federal University Students are better than their State and Private counterparts is Just Wrong.
For crying out loud, a 2.86CGPA student from your So called Mago Mago universities passed an Oil coy's Siwes Entry test where as best Student from OAU didn't...........
why do you have to be so proud?

16 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:35am On Aug 27, 2014
This is very similar to Comparing Private secondary schools to Public secondary school.
Don't worry, you'll soon Outgrow your mentality and Face the Harsh realities of Life.

4 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 27, 2014
taiwolusol:

*Calming my nerves* You need to understand something. The mentality that all Federal University Students are better than their State and Private counterparts is Just Wrong.
For crying out loud, a 2.86CGPA student from your So called Mago Mago universities passed an Oil coy's Siwes Entry test where as best Student from OAU didn't...........
why do you have to be so proud?

source pls It's nt that i dont believe u, i'll just like to read d full details myself, something must be wrong somewhr. BTW, what's the name of the uni? See, if a 2.86 could beat OAU's best student in any test, he can definately beat the best student of his own sch too in such test. Tell me what i dont knw abt the test.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by concentrated: 11:39am On Aug 27, 2014
Going to d university doesn't mean all u do der is just read and write. It's an all round development. Before graduation u ave to pass tru series of test wic include seminars defence ,practical work etc. U might be good in reading and writing and not bee confident of wat u know. Some xternal forces also affect grade, more also over confidence. U getting high score before admission does not guarantee u first class or 2 one.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by rioemmanuel(m): 11:39am On Aug 27, 2014
oluwaKStar: Hey pls..am in ss3...can somebody educate me on how to get to unilag...I mean like d process? How many exams will I write? D content of dis exams? And d minimum scores dat are accepted? ..pls I will be glad if u enlighten mee
I saw a post of yours where you said you are 14 and wants to study aeronautic engineering.Currently,I dont think unilag offers that course,i might be wrong thou.
For any engineering course in unilag you must have further mathematics in your o'level,have above 200 in jamb and perform extremely well in your postjamb.
Note:you must be 16 years before enrolling.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

WASSCE: South-West States To Reopen Schools / Methodist Primary School, Ekotedo, Ibadan -A Forgotten Citadel Of Learning / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.