Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. (13405 Views)

Nollywood Stars Pay Tributes To Bunor / Uche Jombo, Mike Ezuruonye & Others Pour In Tributes For Muna Obiekwe / Photos From A Night Of Tribute For Dora Akunyili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Alexk2(m): 4:31am On Aug 28, 2014
We have lost a great ans true leader, great Nigerian, greatest woman in this generation.
In her lifetime, por. Dora Akuyili was such a cheerful and invigorating presence, very passionate about the success of Nigeria.

Nairalanders, drop you tributes here and let us celebrate her as she will be committed to mother earth today.

Biography
Prof. Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) was born in Makurdi, Benue State (Nigeria) on the 14th of July 1954 to Chief & Mrs Paul Young Edemobi. She is a devout Catholic and is happily married to Dr. J.C. Akunyili, a Medical Practitioner and they are blessed with six children and three grandchildren. Her hobbies include reading, writing, cooking and travelling. She speaks Igbo and English fluently.

Prof. Akunyili, is an internationally renowned Pharmacist, Pharmacologist, Erudite Scholar, Seasoned Administrator, and a visionary leader.

She has served her country in numerous strategic positions including as Director-General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and Federal Minister of Information and Communication.

EDUCATIONAL CAREER

Prof. Akunyili’s educational career started with her passing the First School Leaving Certificate with Distinction in 1966, and the West African School Certificate (W.A.S.C.) with Grade I Distinction in 1973 (both in Nigeria), which earned her the Eastern Nigerian Government Post Primary Scholarship and the Federal Government of Nigeria Undergraduate Scholarship respectively. It is remarkable that throughout her high school career, Dora Akunyili was always top of her class - a record that has never been broken in the school to date.

She got her B.Pharm (Hons) in 1978 and PhD in 1985, both at the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN). Prof. Akunyili won the best student award in the school of Pharmacy in her very first year in the school and the Vice Chancellor’s Postgraduate and Research Leadership prize in Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences for 1984/85 and 1985/86 academic Sessions.

She was promoted to the rank of Professor of Pharmacology in October, 2000 by the same University.

WORKING / EMPLOYMENTS EXPERIENCES

Prof. Akunyili started her working career as a Hospital Pharmacist in the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH) Enugu in 1978. In 1981, she ventured into Academics as a Graduate Assistant (Research Fellow) in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UNN. In the University system, she made a steady progress from lecturer I in 1986 until she was made Senior Lecturer in 1990.

In 1992 she transferred to the College of Medicine, UNN and became a Consultant Pharmacologist in 1996. She also worked as a part time lecturer at the West African College of Pharmacists, Lagos, Nigeria from 1992-1995.

She was appointed Supervisory Councilor for Agriculture in Anaocha Local Government of Anambra State, Nigeria from 1994 – 1996. Prof. Dora Akunyili was appointed Zonal Secretary of Petroleum Special Trust Fund (PTF), where she coordinated all projects in the five South Eastern States of Nigeria from 1997 - 2000.

Prof. Dora Akunyili was appointed Director General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Nigeria from April 2001-2008. Here she recorded outstanding success. Prior to her appointment, food and drug regulation in Nigeria was chaotic. All manner of adulterated, fake and substandard food and drugs were dumped into Nigeria resulting in over 60 percent of fake drugs in circulation. Unscrupulous individuals made fortunes from such unwholesome practices. When she assumed office, she brought in a new culture of excellence and honesty to NAFDAC and the entire Nigerian public service. As a result, the level of fake and counterfeit drugs in circulation dropped to 16.7 percent with vast improvement in the food and other regulated sectors. As a commentator in a national newspaper once wrote, “The NAFDAC Director General is a revolutionary. She has not only changed NAFDAC, she has also changed the pharmaceutical industry in the country.”

From December 2008 – December 2010, she worked as the Honourable Minister of Information and Communications, Federal Republic of Nigeria. As the Honourable Minister, Prof. Akunyili anchored the Re-branding Nigeria Project driven by the slogan, Nigeria Good People, Great Nation. The programme was conceived as an internal process to address Nigeria’s negative image both at home and abroad. Dora has proved her versatility in all areas of human endeavour as she also ventured into politics when she aspired to serve her own people in Anambra State as a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

As a Scientist and a Scholar, she has presented over 600 papers delivered in various Local and International Conferences, published 4 books and written scientific articles published in 37 local and international journals. She also supervised PhD and Masters candidates.

POSITIONS/PROFESSIONAL BODIES/FELLOWSHIP

Prof. Akunyili has held several positions of responsibility in Nigeria as a professional in the course of her career. She served in six Senate Committees and various Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences Committees of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka from 1986 –1992.

From 1992 to 1994, Prof. Akunyili served as a member of Anambra State Hospitals Management Board and State Advisory Council for Women Commission. She has also served the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (P.S.N.) in various capacities, notably as the National Vice President of Association of Lady Pharmacists (1992-1995) and President of the Enugu State Branch from 1992-1998.

Internationally, as Director General of NAFDAC, Prof. Akunyili was appointed Chairman of West African Drug Regulatory Agencies Network (WADRAN) in March 2006 and as Vice Chairman of the International Medical Products Anti-Counterfeiting Task Force (IMPACT) in November 2006.

She is a Post Doctorate Fellow of University of London, Fellow of the West African Post Graduate College of Pharmacists, Fellow of the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN) and member of other learned societies, a few of which are New York Academy of Science, International Narcotics Control Board, United States Pharmacopeia (USP) Expert Committee, Association for African Medicinal Plant Standards (AAMPS), Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN), Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV), and International Council for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders (ICCIDD).

18 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 28, 2014
I don't have much to say because I'm no poet, all i can say is RIP SUPER WOMAN...

You did a wonderful job when you were with NAFDAC, hence saved alot of lives, even when they wanted to bribe you, you refused, when they threatened your life, you still stood firm...You were given some money to seek medical attention abroad but you RETURNED it after you went and the doctors wrongly confirmed you were alright, HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL DO THAT NOT TO TALK OF POLITICIANS??

You touched alot of lives. You were indeed a rare gem.. You were and will still remain one of my role models cool cool...MAY GOD GRANT YOU ETERNAL REST IN HIS KINGDOM AND GIVE YOUR FAMILY AND LOVED ONES FORTITUDE TO BEAR THIS GREAT LOSS, AMEN!!!! smiley smiley

I MISS YOU!
AGULU PEOPLE MISS YOU!!
ANAMBRARIANS MISS YOU!!!
NAIRALANDERS MISS YOU!!!!
NIGERIANS MISS YOU!!!!!
THE WHOLE WORLD MOURNS YOUR DEMISE!!!!!!

You will forever remain in our hearts cry cry cry

45 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Kingmee: 7:58am On Aug 28, 2014
I have alot to say but time and space wont permit me.

it was recorded that when she was working with PTDF back then, she returned the money meant for her treatment after the doctor gave her a clean bill of health......that was enough pointer to OBJ that she was a trustworthy and dependable woman, hence, OBJ made her the NAFDAC MD.....we all know the rest of the story.
This is a quality that is rare to find in our country. a quality you displayed while with Nafdac and in your time as the minster. How can i forget how you stood against the 'cabals' will neither let us know the state of health of our president nor allow GEJ to be the president on acting capacity.
You've create an indellible print in my life. You lifetime will always be an inspiration to me.
May God grant your family and nigerians the fortitude to bear your loss..
rest well, ma.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by rattlesnake(m): 9:13am On Aug 28, 2014
Rip(Rest in peace)
RAA(Return as an American instead of Anambra ) cry

1 Like

Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 28, 2014
Continue to rest in peace ma,I personally love u
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 28, 2014
Adieu Dora,
You will Always live in our hearts
An Epitome of True leadership! cry cry

1 Like

Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by akinbe(m): 9:16am On Aug 28, 2014
Your works in this nation shall never be forgotten. R.I.P ma'm
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by adekennis(m): 9:16am On Aug 28, 2014
RIP cry
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Nobody: 9:16am On Aug 28, 2014
RIP ma your legacy lives on cry
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by 1stola: 9:18am On Aug 28, 2014
The woman who changed Nigeria in a way she can...
The woman of icon
why is it that good people doesn't last yar'adua! Dora! e.t.c
Adieu Prof. Dora
say me hi to my mother.

12 Likes

Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Jarchi(m): 9:19am On Aug 28, 2014
RIP ma
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Hardeytohlar(f): 9:19am On Aug 28, 2014
May her gentle soul rest in peace
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by igbsam(m): 9:20am On Aug 28, 2014
May Her Soul RIP
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by bizngr(f): 9:20am On Aug 28, 2014
Rest in Peace O ye rare gem...
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by tbagjames(m): 9:21am On Aug 28, 2014
She died, but her lagacies didnt. She has written her name on the the sands of time which even the the strongest tides erase. RIP
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Brymo: 9:21am On Aug 28, 2014
Sleep deep and well mama. We gonna meet u.
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by 1money: 9:21am On Aug 28, 2014
RIP Great woman. You touched many lives here on earth, we will never forget you.
May you find eternal rest in the bosom of the Lord.
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by yousee(m): 9:21am On Aug 28, 2014
Iconic woman...often misunderstood..."People of limited vision ALWAYS oppose change "

Rest on Ma'am, you inspired many principled families and homes.

2 Likes

Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 28, 2014
Mummy may ur gentle soul rest in perfect peace. You r a rare gem
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by mdee1(m): 9:22am On Aug 28, 2014
R.ip..But the thing too long na, as I dey scroll down I dey think say na me go be first to comment mtcheeww!
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Evathyst(f): 9:22am On Aug 28, 2014
All protocols duly observed; RIP to d dead o!

Jesus! Is me be ds?

First page ds kind early morning! I'm sure it's a sign of better tinz dt r still to come. Lemme quickly check my bank account, I sure sey magas dem go don pay.

#Singing Kelly Handsome's maga don pay# cheesy

1 Like

Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Nobody: 9:24am On Aug 28, 2014
She was the best of her kind. A sterling achiever, a committed woman. If they ever tell my story let them say I lived in the time of Dora Akunyili, the amazon. Men and women alike come and go like the dry season, but her name will remain.

3 Likes

Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by booblacain(m): 9:25am On Aug 28, 2014
You gave us hope that all is not lost.
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by greatgod2012(f): 9:25am On Aug 28, 2014
A rare gem is indeed gone.
Rest in peace, madam Dora Akuyili. Even though you're no more, you still remain one of my mentors.

Adieu! Adieu!! Adieu!!!
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by yousee(m): 9:25am On Aug 28, 2014
mdee1: R.ip..But the thing too long na, as I dey scroll down I dey think say na me go be first to comment mtcheeww!
Grow up kid!
Person dey outgrow some kain things abeg

1 Like

Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by greatgod2012(f): 9:26am On Aug 28, 2014
FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

We are all celebrating this rare gem, even after her exit, can we also be likewise celebrated while alive and after our exit? Let's all live our lives in such a way that we'll be celebrated while alive and after our exit, let's lay legacies that will forever be remenbered.

May God help us all.

Once again, Rest in peace, Dora the icon.

3 Likes

Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Mhizdimplez(f): 9:26am On Aug 28, 2014
Rest In Peace,Dora...
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by lirusehn(m): 9:26am On Aug 28, 2014
RIP auntie Dora.
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by Btruth: 9:27am On Aug 28, 2014
She came, she saw & she conquered. Unlike all our clueless leaders, both present and past. Adieu Mrs Dora, you will always be in our hearts.
Re: Tributes To Pro. Dora Akunyili From Nairalanders. by timsucces(m): 9:30am On Aug 28, 2014
The country had lost a genus.
History will never forget her as one who imparted positively on her generation
Madam 'Rebrand' i will forever miss u.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

If Women Are Supporting Women, There Won’t Be An Epidemic Of Sidechicks - Joro / '‘you Shall Not Bear Fruits ”- Ngozi Ezeonu’s Husband curses daughter / Stardom Has Robbed Me Of Many Things –waje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.