Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police (17901 Views)

Rejoinder: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today - Political Failure? / My Experience With Lagos State Govts. Flood Helpline / Building Collapses In Lagos Police Barracks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by debbie(f): 5:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
After hearing so many bad things about the Nigeria Police force,i didnt know that one day i will fall victim to their wicked and corrupt mind.
One my way yesterday in Lagos State,while my cousin was driving down the National Stadium Surulere onward to shitta and down to lawanson.As we were approaching the traffic light infront of the stadium (which had two traffic lights that work almost simultaneously),before the light changed to orange my cousin having passed the first traffic light which was few steps away from the second stopped.

In less than few seconds,three female police officers standing by came and started questioning us.
One said " why didnt you stop since and its now that the light was changing to orange that you will stop.Before we knew what was happening the other ladies jumped inside the backseat.
The second lady asked us to park in front of the stadium,but my cousin and i insisted that we didn't commit any traffic offense.Yet the refused and asked us to drive into the stadium.Because we refused, the lady started shouting that we want to kidnap her? (someone who forcefully entered your car is now raising alarm).....this was where the whole drama unfolded.

Unknown to us,they actually led us to a police station inside the National stadium.Immediately we where confronted by two men who looked hungry and unpleasant in their uniform.This was the DPO and another officer or whoever they were.They started accusing us of trying to kidnap the ladies and secondly breaking the traffic rules.Meanwhile these ladies have already disappeared and gone back to their duty post ( waiting for another victim).

The DPO told us that our offense is 80,000naira else we will be taken to alausa...at that point we felt weak and cold,knowing that this was not going to end up in a funny way.
We started pleading after trying to prove we didn't commit any offense....before we knew what was happening they called a stand by vulcanizer who deflected our tires.At this point we felt helpless and we told them we didnt have much money on us,but just about 5k ( the DPO busted into serious anger and shouted at us,that we think he is all these road side touts that can just collect anything? that is it either we pay 20k or forget the car for now)...not knowing what to do.My cousin now told the police officer to call back the guy to pump air back into those tires,let him try and figure out a way out...the vulcanizer came and said that to pump each tire is 1000 naira.This sent some cold air down my spine and i was like is this really happening or was i dreaming.The poor man told us that since it was the officer that asked him to pump the tire,he needs to buy him some cool recharge cards,so that is why he is charging us that huge amount.

My cousin started calling his office people and explaining what happened.After some minutes (thanks to the closeness of his office to the National Stadium),two of his colleagues came and demanded to speak with the DPO....who refused to entertain any discussion.

Unknown to me,they have already contacted another DPO at IJORA side,who requested to speak with the man in-charge.....while the colleagues were persuading the man to speak with the oga on phone,he started ranting that who the hell is it they want him to speak to.Afterward he collected the phone and from his salutation one could easily detect who the person on the other end was.Within some few minutes the call was over and the officer out of anger told the guy to pump back the tires and insisted he needs to settle those ladies...we said NO,BUT IT WAS OBVIOUS ANOTHER DRAMA WAS ABOUT TO BEGIN....

AFTER SPENDING OVER 3HOURS THERE,WE WERE RELEASED AND LEFT THE PLACE
THIS IS MY STORY

I wonder how many innocent citizens have fallen prey to the hands of these wicked and corrupt men who should be doing the right thing...NOT TO TALK OF THOSE LADIES WHO ARE STATIONED THERE TO CATCH VICTIMS AND DRAIN THEM OF THEIR MONEY.
I ask,what is the government doing? has it really gotten this bad? who are we to blame? even in the heart of the town such things happen and no one is speaking against it?

FINALLY,NIGERIA HAS A LONG WAY TO GO,BUT OUR POLICE FORCE IS A TOTAL DISGRACE .

141 Likes 32 Shares

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Gbade60: 5:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
Next time, make use of ur mobile fone, y didn't u video or snap dem, so we cn expose dem? Btw, are you telling d whole truth? Cus I knw sum silly ppl dnt use to obey d traffic light!!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by ednut1(m): 5:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
very silly pple, yesterday evening i witnessed some police trying to arrest a white guy in a murano, they had not seen his licence they had concluded it must have expired, he refused to come down pointing his licence towards his screen. when did police bcom FRSC. it is common thing in nigeria, d police are jst into extortion, do u know danfo drivers pay 'owo police'. SMH O angry

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by desgiezd(m): 5:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
Please, anytime you are driving in Lagos, always ensure your doors are locked and your windows are about three-quarters wound up in case you are not using the air conditioner. Driving in Lagos has become such a nightmare. Imagine the guy asking for #80k for no offence committed. It seems the Nigeria Police guys always do a budget of amounts realisable on a daily basis before sending officers out on outside duties. Mtcheeewww!

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by hazyfm: 5:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
WTF

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
You're lucky, OP. I was once locked up for a day in their stinking cell for what they know i was innocent of.

I don't wish my enemy to fall into their crooked hands.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by uken73(m): 5:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
Na wao. Wish this was caught on video.
Maybe someone would have learnt a lesson or two.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by iluvtotodie(m): 5:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
2015 and they still do these things ?
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Guykhena(m): 5:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
debbie:
#WORD

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by igbsam(m): 5:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
I once almost fell victim of this act of theirs. But guess what I did. There is a barrack within the vicinity. Immediately they opened my car door and jumped into it. I central locked it and then told them that they have made the biggest mistake of their life. I then told them i'm a soldier and right away, i am going to the barrack where they would be taught a lesson they will never forget. Fortunately, I have some colleagues of mine as military personal in that barrack. I called them up and told them i am coming with some criminals to the barrack. My brothers, come see as those women dey beg me. Officer, please....we are sorry, we are very sorry. I drove them a little after the barrack, up to ifesinachi park before i warned them never in their life to try that nonsense with me and then opened the door and let them out. Come see as dem run like criminals.

181 Likes 19 Shares

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Youngzedd(m): 5:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
shocked shocked shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Rilwayne001: 5:26pm On Aug 28, 2014

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by hazyfm: 5:26pm On Aug 28, 2014
so sorry debbie
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 28, 2014
angry
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by sammyyoung2(m): 5:28pm On Aug 28, 2014
G.e.j till we get sense

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by AltarBoy1: 5:28pm On Aug 28, 2014
this is bad. How can we redeem our police. Thank God you have someone that rescued you. Assuming you are on your own, definately you must part with some money.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by 4reigningqueen: 5:28pm On Aug 28, 2014
***angry*** ogbeni @op,come here, next time, check their names and give us a video clip. You here me?? Oya, lie down here!! ***brings out cane***

4 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by 100Cents: 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2014
This is state govt agberoo style they are using to disposess people of valuables..

He would regret not collecting the earlier N5k.

Very greedy animals..

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Jesuspistol(m): 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2014
I understand how u feel. I've been a victim of such before. They stopped me, police o (not VIO) that my headlamp was on in d day, dat it is against traffic rules. I tried to explain that its an american spec car but they refused. But tnk God an immigration comptroller in his car was parked somewhere nearby. He was watching us & we didn't know. We were 3 in the car & they asked of us to come down while 3 officers entered and drove us to their station around church bustop after okoko, lagos. They threatened us saying I didn't use seatbelt(which I used) & dat d car documents were xpired. They booked our car with some other fraudulent Lastma officials dat we must pay 50k. The comptroller in mofty came and got their names and pictures then dey started begging.

I just imagined what would have happened if d comptroller didn't see us.

They're big fools and thiefs and that's how they threaten people everyday.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Woged2005(f): 5:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
Somebody said Nigeria is undergoing a collective karma going by the terrible bad things happening in the country right now. In a country where 80% cannot either be trusted or are outrightly unscrupulous. Yet we cheer and clap when people perpetrate evil. Did we expect evil to go unpunished? Naa..evil never go unpunished (Karma)

My prayer is may you, reading this, be in that 20% who are still trustworthy and reliable. But honestly I feel very sorry for the 80%. They have no idea what the wrath of God means if we don't shape up. Maybe the story of Haiti isn't enogh lesson. May God help us all.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by olatade(m): 5:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
The police is your friend
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by BUSHHUNTER: 5:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
Picture explain it beta

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by allanphash7(m): 5:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
i will rather remain jobless instead of being a Nigeria Police

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Funniez: 5:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by clemmonce(m): 5:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
One of the unwritten laws in Lagos or Nigeria sef is whenever you are driving close all your doors . even the drivers door. if any police stop you, wind down a liltle bit and start talking to them. If there is a way while talking to them for movement, my guy move instanta. it works for lastma too. That is what I do.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by tdayof(m): 5:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
do we have any police officer on NL? if yes, start telling us the meaning of this .

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by MAYOWAAK: 5:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
desgiezd: Please, anytime you are driving in Lagos, always ensure your doors are locked and your windows are about three-quarters wound up in case you are not using the air conditioner. Driving in Lagos has become such a nightmare. Imagine the guy asking for #80k for no offence committed. It seems the Nigeria Police guys always do a budget of amounts realisable on a daily basis before sending officers out on outside duties. Mtcheeewww!

Don't you know Nigerian police have targets to be met like bankers?

10 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
____
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
we need Buhari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKSqGuENI8A&index=4&list=PLRzmuN0KKXK9WjHW14Wmbe6K7F7pL7Y4V
debbie: After hearing so many bad things about the Nigeria Police force,i didnt know that one day i will fall victim to their wicked and corrupt mind.
One my way yesterday in Lagos State,while my cousin was driving down the National Stadium Surulere onward to shitta and down to lawanson.As we were approaching the traffic light infront of the stadium (which had two traffic lights that work almost simultaneously),before the light changed to orange my cousin having passed the first traffic light which was few steps away from the second stopped.

In less than few seconds,three female police officers standing by came and started questioning us.
One said " why didnt you stop since and its now that the light was changing to orange that you will stop.Before we knew what was happening the other ladies jumped inside the backseat.
The second lady asked us to park in front of the stadium,but my cousin and i insisted that we didn't commit any traffic offense.Yet the refused and asked us to drive into the stadium.Because we refused, the lady started shouting that we want to kidnap her? (someone who forcefully entered your car is now raising alarm).....this was where the whole drama unfolded.

Unknown to us,they actually led us to a police station inside the National stadium.Immediately we where confronted by two men who looked hungry and unpleasant in their uniform.This was the DPO and another officer or whoever they were.They started accusing us of trying to kidnap the ladies and secondly breaking the traffic rules.Meanwhile these ladies have already disappeared and gone back to their duty post ( waiting for another victim).

The DPO told us that our offense is 80,000naira else we will be taken to alausa...at that point we felt weak and cold,knowing that this was not going to end up in a funny way.
We started pleading after trying to prove we didn't commit any offense....before we knew what was happening they called a stand by vulcanizer who deflected our tires.At this point we felt helpless and we told them we didnt have much money on us,but just about 5k ( the DPO busted into serious anger and shouted at us,that we think he is all these road side touts that can just collect anything? that is it either we pay 20k or forget the car for now)...not knowing what to do.My cousin now told the police officer to call back the guy to pump air back into those tires,let him try and figure out a way out...the vulcanizer came and said that to pump each tire is 1000 naira.This sent some cold air down my spine and i was like is this really happening or was i dreaming.The poor man told us that since it was the officer that asked him to pump the tire,he needs to buy him some cool recharge cards,so that is why he is charging us that huge amount.

My cousin started calling his office people and explaining what happened.After some minutes (thanks to the closeness of his office to the National Stadium),two of his colleagues came and demanded to speak with the DPO....who refused to entertain any discussion.

Unknown to me,they have already contacted another DPO at IJORA side,who requested to speak with the man in-charge.....while the colleagues were persuading the man to speak with the oga on phone,he started ranting that who the hell is it they want him to speak to.Afterward he collected the phone and from his salutation one could easily detect who the person on the other end was.Within some few minutes the call was over and the officer out of anger told the guy to pump back the tires and insisted he needs to settle those ladies...we said NO,BUT IT WAS OBVIOUS ANOTHER DRAMA WAS ABOUT TO BEGIN....

AFTER SPENDING OVER 3HOURS THERE,WE WERE RELEASED AND LEFT THE PLACE
THIS IS MY STORY

I wonder how many innocent citizens have fallen prey to the hands of these wicked and corrupt men who should be doing the right thing...NOT TO TALK OF THOSE LADIES WHO ARE STATIONED THERE TO CATCH VICTIMS AND DRAIN THEM OF THEIR MONEY.
I ask,what is the government doing? has it really gotten this bad? who are we to blame? even in the heart of the town such things happen and no one is speaking against it?

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari ‘incompetent, Clueless, Lacks Direction’ – Aisha Yesufu / Today Is Remembrance Sunday (100th Anniversary Of The End Of World War 1). / Insecurity: Buhari’s Govt Overwhelmed But Nigerians Must Not Give Up – Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.