Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,831 members, 7,802,664 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (61145 Views)

Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. / Wicked Widowhood Practices That Must Be Abolished In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 4:39pm On Oct 25, 2008
Can you name and describe some evil and dirty cultures found in any Nigerian tribe or Nigeria as a whole past and present that was evil or should be abolished if it is still in existence?
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by ikeyman00(m): 4:40pm On Oct 25, 2008
u don kolo

dubious
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 4:43pm On Oct 25, 2008
Oro festival(Ondo): Human beings are beheaded and used to power that festival . It is barbaric and evil so, should be abolished in this century.

Nigeria: many Nigerians are very arrogant and aggressive. They have I-am-better-or-smarter-than-you- attitude anywhere they go. It is one of the reasons why they are hated so much by many black people around the world. It's not possible to abolish this culture but i think we as nigerians can do something about our demeaning attitude towards others because it is annoying.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 5:00pm On Oct 25, 2008
Taking corpse home(Ibo): is it not a waste of money to fly someone that died in America to his hometown in iboland? the financial burden on the family of the deceased is too much and i don't know why ibos have not reconsidered that culture in this millenium.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Godalone(m): 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Taking corpse home(Ibo): is it not a waste of money to fly someone that died in America to his hometown in iboland? the financial burden on the family of the deceased is too much and i don't know why ibos have not reconsidered that culture in this millenium.
Not only Igbo even Yoruba also.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Morenike3(f): 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2008
Drinking bathwater

Circumcising women

Tribal marks

Abomination punishments : Walking naked in front of the whole frigging town
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by ikeyman00(m): 5:49pm On Oct 25, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when people die anywhere in the world, most of the time they are flew home for burial, even soldiers in iraq

u see u simply cannot fool us! i can see what u plannin to do, tribalistic well dnt matter now. u just show how stupid u are

1 Like

Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by tangent(f): 6:41pm On Oct 25, 2008
lynching petty criminals(jungle justice) should be abolished.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by omoge(f): 7:02pm On Oct 25, 2008
quite interesting abt that flew home thing.
when soja die in iraq they are brought back home, that i can understand. but what abt if the person has been living oversea for many years? the person might have called that place home. pls explain. . . i'd prefer if the person has lots of money and they can afford to fly home. what happen if the family can not afford the flying home? borrow money from bank?
if the person died at war say middle east, the body is brought back to UK or US then off to Nigeria?

pls someone explain to me.

culture i'd want to be abolish is the way we treat less privilege ones in our midst. it is all because of juju such and such happened to the person. we should do away with it. example, austic child or MR kid should not be seen as juju caused it.

i wonder if Palin was to be in nigeria. . . she should have been hidding her baby. she is proudly carrying the baby around and am always touched, the one that is clued to my memory was when her small daughter held Trig and used her spit to flatten his hair, so cute cheesy cheesy
I'm so proud of her and many americans how they treat the less privilege ones.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Gamine(f): 7:23pm On Oct 25, 2008
Marrying women Off to the highest bidder without their Knowledge sad

A civil rights lawyer told me this, a SAN.

he said, The practice is done in many parts of Edo State, sad not my part sha cheesy
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by milknhoney(f): 7:26pm On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

It is only right to bury the one of your family in his/her rightful ground, not the land of anothers.

1 Like

Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Gamine(f): 7:31pm On Oct 25, 2008
I didnt know Dead people could sense the type of sand they are buried in oh undecided
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by asitis(f): 7:32pm On Oct 25, 2008
*Morenike:

Drinking bathwater

Omg, drinking bath water?
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by tangent(f): 7:37pm On Oct 25, 2008
capital punishment. cool
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by romeo(m): 7:51pm On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

It's a matter of choice! It's not a waste of money dear but a wish many people want. Like someone pointed out ealier, your America does not abandon their dead soldiers any where and that should be abolished too.

1 Like

Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 8:16pm On Oct 25, 2008
lynching petty criminals(jungle justice) should be abolished.

capital punishment.
I support this one wholeheartedly.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 8:16pm On Oct 25, 2008
I didnt know Dead people could sense the type of sand they are buried in oh
Me too
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 8:17pm On Oct 25, 2008
culture i'd want to be abolish is the way we treat less privilege ones in our midst. it is all because of juju such and such happened to the person. we should do away with it. example, austic child or MR kid should not be seen as juju caused it.

Is this a culture in Nigeria? We take pity on less privileged and pamper them.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 8:19pm On Oct 25, 2008
Drinking bathwater
Yes

Circumcising women
Yes

Tribal marks
Not when it's their choice. I am against it when it's done to children but adults can choose to do so like many Americans tattoo themselves.

Abomination punishments : Walking naked in front of the whole frigging town
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 8:21pm On Oct 25, 2008
Not only Igbo even Yoruba also.
Rarely; It's a dominant ibo culture to fly home a corpse at the expense on the bereaved family members and i think they should do something about that culture.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 8:25pm On Oct 25, 2008
Hausa: Betrothing young girls to suitors by age 2.

Hausa: Forcing a 10 yr old girl into marriage and conception thereby giving them fistula.

Hausa: Drinking corpse water

Hausa:Forcing their women to live perpetually in their basement and can only come out at night so that no other man can have access to them.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by romeo(m): 8:26pm On Oct 25, 2008
Who are those "Ibo" people?

But you are a blatant liar! Igbo people contribute money to repatriate their dead people and never on the bereaved's account.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 8:27pm On Oct 25, 2008
Igbo: Okonko festival where human beings are used for sacrifice

igbo: new yam festival which may involve human sacrifice

Igbo: Building a house in the village when they don't have one in lagos.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by tangent(f): 8:29pm On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Igbo: Okonko festival where human beings are used for sacrifice

igbo: new yam festival which may involve human sacrifice

Igbo: Building a house in the village when they don't have one in lagos.

grin grin grin this is funny.

1 Like

Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 8:30pm On Oct 25, 2008
But you are a blatant liar! Igbo people contribute money to repatriate their dead people and never on the bereaved's account.

I didn't know that but it's still pointless to me. Again, i guess they contribute for you because you contributed for others?. How much do you think it'll cost to fly a corpse from North Carolina to Nigeria?
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by omoge(f): 8:33pm On Oct 25, 2008
if the person has set aside money for 'fly him when death calls' fine. if not, i think it is not necessary. that money should go into edu fund for the kids. wherever a person dies, maggots still have their final say.

1 Like

Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Gamine(f): 8:36pm On Oct 25, 2008
Whats wrong in building house where you want, whether na village or lagos undecided

[img]http://smileyjungle.com/Confused/[/img]
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by tangent(f): 8:38pm On Oct 25, 2008
Gamine:

Whats wrong in building house where you want, whether na village or lagos undecided

[img]http://smileyjungle.com/Confused/[/img]

they build in the village(where they don't stay). i think nigerian government should make every house owner pay huge council tax on their properties. that method will help reduce the madness in nigeria where one man can have 50 houses in the village and he only goes there once in a year.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 8:39pm On Oct 25, 2008
Nigeria:

1)Regarding male children as more valuable than female children

2)The belief that any woman 30 years and above is washed off and has little fertile eggs left.

3)Adult males belief that they are more superior to adult females.

4)Polygamy
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by KarmaMod(f): 8:40pm On Oct 25, 2008
Igbos arent the only ones who fly corpses home. I think that's a Nigerian thing in general as in "I want to die in my land" kind of thing

anyway osu needs to be banned. There are still people who wouldnt marry them because of the stigma

Blaming wives for "lack of heir"

Tribal marks, definitely

Female circumcision, definitely

Treating widows like lepers is another.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 8:41pm On Oct 25, 2008
Whats wrong in building house where you want, whether na village or lagos
Make your money useful and build a house that you know you'll live in. If you have enough money to build both, fine but not building a house where you stay only 10 nights out of every 365 nights in a year. Bini's do that too.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by omoge(f): 8:41pm On Oct 25, 2008
Gamine, i think nothing wrong. but how funny you live in a poor place but a fine place in the village is empty. like you and the 3 kids living in 1 bedroom and then labor to build a nice house in the village when you are not living there. i think it is a general thing and not peculiar with a tribe.
the funny thing also is some of them will be afraid to live there in fear of immaginary winsh and wizard  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Meet Baba Kekere Of Oyo Kingdom Who Served 3 Past Alaafins For 77 Years / Basic Ways To Promote And Preserve The Nigerian Culture And Tradition. / The 6ft Tall Idanre Queen Who Outlived All Her Husbands (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.