Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

Common Misconceptions About Northern Nigeria... Myths And Reality. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Common Misconceptions About Northern Nigeria... Myths And Reality. (1288 Views)

The Bloody Truth About Northern Nigeria!!! / ACF, Yakasai Hit Mark Over Comment About Northern Leaders! / Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Misconceptions About Northern Nigeria... Myths And Reality. by kilmix: 9:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
This thread is not unconnected with the common misconceived believes about Northern Nigeria viz the media misrepresentation and political deceptions.

I spent a whole year in Kano, the commercial nerve of Northern Nigeria plus the most popular city in Nigeria (2006 census).

*Disclaimer*
This topic has nothing to do with politics, religion, ethnicity.
It is purely coiled from my personal experience.

MYTH
1. If you go to the North you'll die.

REALITY
the North is the safest place to stay with exception to Bomb blast and religious crises which does not happen every time.

Common I've lived all my life in the south I've never felt the peace of mind I had when I was in Kano literally.
It is correct that at times it could get scary but then it's not as it is painted in the news.

FACT
there is no particular tribe in Nigeria that does not have large number of them in Kano.

MYTH
2. The North is a war zone.

REALITY
That's not true. Everyday people troop to the North from all over Nigeria and go back home in peace.
The North is so large that if a part of a state is in war, it won't affect another part.

FACT
Like seriously I had friends from Borno that travels home every weekend. Chibok Gwoza et all are far into the remote part of Borno.

MYTH
3.You call a Hausa man ABOKII to spite him.

REALITY
Common you are just calling him your friend.

FACT
Try calling him da'ubanka. LOL.

MYTH
4. All Northerners belong to the Hausa ethnic group.

REALITY
My dear you are on a long thing.

FACT
There are more ethnic group in Taraba State than in the whole of South-South Nigeria.

MYTH
5. It is boring in the North.. There are no hotels clubs and nice chilling spots... No alcohol.

REALITY
Kano has good hotels, clubs, pools, relaxation spots and taverns, I mean beer parlours.

FACT
My best clubbing experience was in Kano Nigeria... Yes I said it.

MYTH
6. Sharia is in force in the whole of the North.

REALITY
If you are not a Muslim, you have no business with Sharia.

FACT
Like seriously who said you can't unwind in the North?
There are more commercial sex workers in Kano than anywhere in Nigeria (NPF report 2013).

ADDITIONAL FACTS..
Cars are cheap in the North.

The weather is lovely when it's cold. But very hot during dry season.

Things are generally cheap in the North especially food stuff.
Re: Common Misconceptions About Northern Nigeria... Myths And Reality. by coldgate(f): 9:21pm On Aug 28, 2014
Really? That's good to know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common Misconceptions About Northern Nigeria... Myths And Reality. by kilmix: 9:30pm On Aug 28, 2014
If you live in the North, you can add for proper orientation.
Re: Common Misconceptions About Northern Nigeria... Myths And Reality. by Rich4god(m): 10:05pm On Aug 28, 2014
You dont make negative comment about the emir or about islam in the presence of abokis... else...
Re: Common Misconceptions About Northern Nigeria... Myths And Reality. by Katier00(f): 10:07pm On Aug 28, 2014
Born and bred in the north. I must confess there is no place in nigeria like the north
Re: Common Misconceptions About Northern Nigeria... Myths And Reality. by oderemo(m): 10:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
@op it takes seconds to undo yrs of hard work. Its who that is blind
To the fury of the gods that show open disrespect.
The north is peaceful until the almajari is unleached.
Word to the wise.
Re: Common Misconceptions About Northern Nigeria... Myths And Reality. by egbaguy: 10:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
i served in kano..........i must confess dat period is d best av ever experienced. Kano is a nice place to stay,safe for BH and religious riot. As for kano aving highest number of sex workers,dat one nah lie. U can only find sex workers in sabongari. Badawa qtrs,panshekara and bridgage are places u can find girls who will willingly gv u sex but dey aint sex workers
Re: Common Misconceptions About Northern Nigeria... Myths And Reality. by kilmix: 11:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
egbaguy: i served in kano..........i must confess dat period is d best av ever experienced. Kano is a nice place to stay,safe for BH and religious riot. As for kano aving highest number of sex workers,dat one nah lie. U can only find sex workers in sabongari. Badawa qtrs,panshekara and bridgage are places u can find girls who will willingly gv u sex but dey aint sex workers

i quoted the Nigerian Police Force report 2013... i didnt cook it up.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari 2015: A Case Of Retrogression And Going Back To Our Vomit. / NIGERIA RISES: Economy Has Grown By Around 6% Annually For Decades / PDP Senators Join APC In Support Of Tambuwal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.