Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,789 members, 7,802,463 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? (1729 Views)

New Android App: PN Gates / Sergey Brin (One Of Google's Founders)'s Personal Resume / Makinde Adeagbo, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey Etc In Short Film (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by toshodei: 5:42pm On Aug 29, 2014
From strictly a programmatic standpoint, Bill Gates has a superior grasp of technical knowledge and how to do a "hands on" implementation of a system. He is going to return to Microsoft as a technology advisor and is highly regarded amongst MS engineers for his technical prowess.

After that Mark Zuckerberg would be the next best programmer. As others have said, he is actively involved with his top-level engineers in feature development and roll outs. It has been known that he has pulled all nighters with his chief engineers hacking out code and rolling out/troubleshooting new features

Larry Page and Sergey Brin founded Google based off of a school project they did but surprisingly, are not as technically minded as you think. A book recently came out by one of Google's first engineers that detail Larry and Sergey's technical ability as "research coders". Check this article out for more details:

It Turns Out Google Co-founders Larry Page And Sergy Brin Are Actually Pretty Lousy Coders

Steve Jobs was a brilliant marketer and salesman with a uncanny ability to understand the UX and design side of technical products before UX was a buzzword. But, in so far as actual technical knowledge (& that is the question, isn't it) he does not hold a candle to the others above.

My humble opinion is that all of these men are brilliant in their own way. 99% of us will not even come close their success - but then again 99% of us have no true idea of what they went through to attain their status. It takes a very special combination of sacrifice, passion, intelligence, fortitude and yes, obsession to start, nurture, grow and establish the kinds of companies these men founded.

http://www.quora.com/Who-is-more-technically-competent-Larry-Page-Sergey-Brin-Mark-Zuckerberg-Bill-Gates-or-Steve-Jobs
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by asalimpo(m): 7:06pm On Aug 29, 2014
Why is Linus Torvalds not on this List?
He's no enterprenuer but you can't/shudnt mention programming titans without him coming first.

3 Likes

Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by toshodei: 8:01pm On Aug 29, 2014
asalimpo: Why is Linus Torvalds not on this List?
He's no enterprenuer but you can't/shudnt mention programming titans without him coming first.

You can always add him. What about Larry Ellison? Jack Dorsey? Jerry Yang?
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by asalimpo(m): 9:12pm On Aug 29, 2014
toshodei:

You can always add him. What about Larry Ellison? Jack Dorsey? Jerry Yang?
Those you mentioned arent in the same league as Linus. The artcle is a joke and an insult without the person who created d most popular open source application ever. He wrote d fastest version control software to host also - git?
Without Linus,they'd b no linux.
They'd b no android ,theyd b no ubuntu, debian or red hat.

Who is jack Dorsey?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by toshodei: 9:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
asalimpo:
Linus isnt in d same class as those you mentioned. The artcle is a joke and an insult without the person who created d most popular open source application ever. He wrote d fastest version control software to host also - git?

Who is jack Dorsey?

Without Jack Dorsey, there will be no Twitter. Without Larry Ellison there will be no Java, no Android Apps. Without Jerry Yang, there will be no Yahoo, no Google, no YouTube.
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by asalimpo(m): 10:07pm On Aug 29, 2014
toshodei:

Without Jack Dorsey, there will be no Twitter. Without Larry Ellison there will be no Java, no Android Apps. Without Jerry Yang, there will be no Yahoo, no Google, no YouTube.

ok. Are we going to fight over this bf u admit tht linus is a greater impact on open source and tech history than anything bf?
There was java bf oracle bought sun. Java wudve still been. Oracle bought but ddnt invent java.
Without Gosling, they'd b no java.
- twitter grew from a group brain stormg session after which a prototype was created.
Facebook,linux,google grew more from programmer thought experiment tht wrked.
- yahoo's is just anoda web portal.
Twitter is just anoda successful web strtup.
- the impact of linux in computer history is collosal nothg comes close and it wasnt done thru a strtup.

1 Like

Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by elvis10ten(m): 12:11am On Aug 30, 2014
asalimpo:
Those you mentioned arent in the same league as Linus. The artcle is a joke and an insult without the person who created d most popular open source application ever. He wrote d fastest version control software to host also - git?

Who is jack Dorsey?
it was a question tho. Linus isn't as popular like this guys to most people.

1 Like

Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by uken73(m): 2:57pm On Aug 30, 2014
toshodei:

Guy, I think you got some of those names mixed up. You are right about Jack Dorsey & Jerry Yang rounding Yahoo. Larry Ellison is founder of Oracle Corp. Even though Oracle has bought Sun Microsystems, the original vendor of Java, James Gosling is the Inventor of Java. And Android would be attributed to Google and Google was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin. YouTube however was founded by Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim.

1 Like

Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by uken73(m): 3:01pm On Aug 30, 2014
It's unfortunate that Linus is not an Entrepreneur and has not made the kind of money these other guys have made but as for the impact of his inputs, I think only Bill Gates can be a worthy comparison. I won't argue with someone who says he's more impactful than Bill though.

2 Likes

Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by ejihand1(m): 3:27pm On Aug 30, 2014
asalimpo:

ok. Are we going to fight over this bf u admit tht linus is a greater impact on open source and tech history than anything bf?
There was java bf oracle bought sun. Java wudve still been. Oracle bought but ddnt invent java.
Without Gosling, they'd b no java.
- twitter grew from a group brain stormg session after which a prototype was created.
Facebook,linux,google grew more from programmer thought experiment tht wrked.
- yahoo's is just anoda web portal.
Twitter is just anoda successful web strtup.
- the impact of linux in computer history is collosal nothg comes close and it wasnt done thru a strtup.
Asalimbo, I like ur line of argument. Are you on whatsaap?
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by toshodei: 4:21pm On Aug 30, 2014
uken73:
Guy, I think you got some of those names mixed up. You are right about Jack Dorsey & Jerry Yang rounding Yahoo. Larry Ellison is founder of Oracle Corp. Even though Oracle has bought Sun Microsystems, the original vendor of Java, James Gosling is the Inventor of Java. And Android would be attributed to Google and Google was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin. YouTube however was founded by Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim.

True but do u think that Java and YouTube would have been popular and would have been in the game this long (FOR FREE) if it wasnt for Larry Ellison and Google? If Yahoo wasn't making money with search engines, do u think that Google would have decided to make a search engine in the 1st place? Everything in life is a chain reaction to its predecessor. Think about Nairaland, Mr. Seun Osewa probably created Nairaland because he saw the idea somewhere on the internet. Now YM is doing the same because they saw Nairaland. Facebook saw MySpace. IrokoTV saw YouTube. Android saw iPhone which saw the Palm phone back in the days. Bill Gates saw Steve Jobs b4 he made a GUI. Steve Jobs (Steve Woz) saw Xerox and a computer back in a magazine created by someone that no one even remembers.
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by toshodei: 4:23pm On Aug 30, 2014
Before YouTube, there was a million other video hosting sites. Why dont people know about them? There was Hulu, Google Videos, Justin.tv (which just closed this year) and others. The only reason YouTube is the number one, because not only did Google buy it, but Google has been making it free, popular and at the same time while making tons of money on it. Skype came out back in 2003, it didnt become popular and a billion dollar company until Microsoft bought it which was in the millenium age. Thats like 10 years.
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by asalimpo(m): 4:39pm On Aug 30, 2014
uken73: It's unfortunate that Linus is not an Entrepreneur and has not made the kind of money these other guys have made but as for the impact of his inputs, I think only Bill Gates can be a worthy comparison. I won't argue with someone who says he's more impactful than Bill though.
Linus impact eclipse gate. In d third wrld, if not for piracy most ppl in 3rd wrld wouldnt b able to use a computer, or theyd b left with a stripped down budget os.
Full of monitorg spyware,reportg to microsoft.
Linus, did what the free software foundation struggled to do but failed miserably at i.e to create a free os. And because of linux version control took off, free software bcame popular, and alternatve free /open source organizations sprung up.Namely, Apache.
If linux didnt succeed, mysql ,php,perl wudve had a hard time gettg acceptance by younger generation of programmers. Wat wud they run on? Unix? Bsd? Php-apache-mysql-bsd? *yuck*.
Also windows was pushg its tech in this areas.
Even today, bsd is very unpopular.
Linux may not b popular on d desktop but elsewhere it is king.
Super computers, web servers, run linux.
What is d value of a typical linux distro ppl download for free?
Its estimate runs into billions of dollars.
A Linux distro is d highest grade free man made product anybody in d wrld has ever consumed-outside of free high quality education (which is only available in very few countries).
(this is a big claim )

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by asalimpo(m): 5:32pm On Aug 30, 2014
ejihand1:
Asalimbo, I like ur line of argument. Are you on whatsaap?
i'm not on whatsap.
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by uken73(m): 7:32pm On Aug 30, 2014
toshodei:

True but do u think that Java and YouTube would have been popular and would have been in the game this long (FOR FREE) if it wasnt for Larry Ellison and Google? If Yahoo wasn't making money with search engines, do u think that Google would have decided to make a search engine in the 1st place? Everything in life is a chain reaction to its predecessor. Think about Nairaland, Mr. Seun Osewa probably created Nairaland because he saw the idea somewhere on the internet. Now YM is doing the same because they saw Nairaland. Facebook saw MySpace. IrokoTV saw YouTube. Android saw iPhone which saw the Palm phone back in the days. Bill Gates saw Steve Jobs b4 he made a GUI. Steve Jobs (Steve Woz) saw Xerox and a computer back in a magazine created by someone that no one even remembers.
Well, on that light, I wont really argue with with you, but I'm not sure how Larry Ellison of Oracle really connects with Android Apps neither do I understand how Jerry Yang of Yahoo contribute to YouTube. I've never heard of Google videos, but I bet Google saw something special in YouTube before deciding to go for it even when they already had something. If they didn't I'm sure some other bigger coy (maybe Microsoft or Facebook) would have. Java & it's owning coy was doing farely well before Oracle came into the picture. Mind you, Sun Microsystem had Sun Solaris Os (a linux breed) which was mostly used by Telecoms Coys.

1 Like

Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by uken73(m): 7:33pm On Aug 30, 2014
asalimpo:
Linus impact eclipse gate. In d third wrld, if not for piracy most ppl in 3rd wrld wouldnt b able to use a computer, or theyd b left with a stripped down budget os.
Full of monitorg spyware,reportg to microsoft.
Linus, did what the free software foundation struggled to do but failed miserably at i.e to create a free os. And because of linux version control took off, free software bcame popular, and alternatve free /open source organizations sprung up.Namely, Apache.
If linux didnt succeed, mysql ,php,perl wudve had a hard time gettg acceptance by younger generation of programmers. Wat wud they run on? Unix? Bsd? Php-apache-mysql-bsd? *yuck*.
Also windows was pushg its tech in this areas.
Even today, bsd is very unpopular.
Linux may not b popular on d desktop but elsewhere it is king.
Super computers, web servers, run linux.
What is d value of a typical linux distro ppl download for free?
Its estimate runs into billions of dollars.
A Linux distro is d highest grade free man made product anybody in d wrld has ever consumed-outside of free high quality education (which is only available in very few countries).
(this is a big claim )
True, Linus deserves respect. But our world doesn't give you much respect without seeing money on you.
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by Laryokeke: 10:47pm On Aug 30, 2014
toshodei:

without Larry Ellison there will be no java? That's why I hardly come here.

2 Likes

Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by davidsmith8900: 1:14am On Aug 31, 2014
uken73:
Well, on that light, I wont really argue with with you, but I'm not sure how Larry Ellison of Oracle really connects with Android Apps neither do I understand how Jerry Yang of Yahoo contribute to YouTube. I've never heard of Google videos, but I bet Google saw something special in YouTube before deciding to go for it even when they already had something. If they didn't I'm sure some other bigger coy (maybe Microsoft or Facebook) would have. Java & it's owning coy was doing farely well before Oracle came into the picture. Mind you, Sun Microsystem had Sun Solaris Os (a linux breed) which was mostly used by Telecoms Coys.

Android Apps are based off of Java. Did u watch the Oracle vs Google battle over Android Apps? Check this link ~> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_v._Google . Jerry Yang (and Yahoo) made search engines profitable. What came n beat Yahoo in da search engine game? Google. Name the same company that from search engine had enough money to buy YouTube and make it da number 1 Video Hosting Site in the world? Google.
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by davidsmith8900: 1:22am On Aug 31, 2014
Laryokeke:

without Larry Ellison there will be no java? That's why I hardly come here.

Java would have been here, but whose company has been updating and making Java free n popular? Lawrence Ellison. Whose company updates Java and had enough brains to make it on almost all consumer device? Lawrence Ellison. Do u know how many programming languages are out here? Do u know how many programming languages are created on a daily basis and yet they die out? Its 1 thing to make a programming language, its another thing to make that programming language in every school's cirriculum. To make it on almost evey consumer electronic device. All of that 'build it and they will come' is all bullshit. There are better search engines than Google, y arent you or other people using them? There are better social networks than Facebook, y arent u using them? There are better forums than NaIraland, y arent you using them?
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by davidsmith8900: 1:39am On Aug 31, 2014
If you build an app, project or software n noone knows about it, does it still exist? Its called vaporware. Here is a link ~> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware The internet you are using now is not the first and original internet. There was an internet before this called Xanadu. Here are links ~> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Xanadu and ~> http://xanadu.com B4 I told u about it, did it exist in your head? Y have many chosen our present internet and not Xanadu? Some reasons include Politics of companies for the product, Marketing the product to consumers, Finance of the product so that it can last long and many more. Didnt u ever hear the software joke that goes something like this that when companies create Version 1.0 of a software it is 2 get money so that they can get off the ground, when they create Version 2.0 this is da software in which they create added features that was supposed to be in 1.0 but wasnt n now they are getting sued for it and Version 3.0 is created when they are about to go out of business or something like that? Who does the politicing, marketing and funding n so much more? Programmers or Entrepreneurs?
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by davidsmith8900: 1:46am On Aug 31, 2014
Isnt it funny that Jobs had the Apple n Gates had Microsoft, and Bill Gates became a multi billionaire, while Jobs became a billionaire? Do u wanna know why? Bill Gates had IBM with him n his team. Steve Jobs hated IBM. U see everything is not all about the product. For it too last long u need 2 be entrepreneurial with it. Look at iPhone. Look at Android. Android is a ripoff of iPhone, but now tell me which 1 has more consumers around the world? Which 1 is selling more?
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by Nobody: 2:55am On Aug 31, 2014
Always arguing and ranting while brothers in the western world are banging out codes and shipping products, moving light years ahead of us. chai! diaris god ooo!

3 Likes

Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by davidsmith8900: 2:58am On Aug 31, 2014
olucurious: Always arguing and ranting while brothers in the western world are banging out codes and shipping products, moving light years ahead of us. chai! diaris god ooo!

We are just sharing knowledge with each other. I dont see it as arguing. At the same time, we are the same people dat provide tutorials for beginners on this forum.
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by Laryokeke: 7:32am On Aug 31, 2014
my friend, java was already well developed, accepted, and sustainable before oracle bought it off sun Microsystems.

saying that without Ellison there would be no java was a statement that jarred so hard on my ears that I had to go offline for a while to catch my breath.

maybe rather than trying to cover your slip with sachet water arguments, you should try to do some coding. There's no way you'll do that long enough and post stuff that dumb
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by asalimpo(m): 9:46am On Aug 31, 2014
@olucurious
that's a dumb statement u just made. Intellectuals will always argue things out.
Read about d arguments btw intuitionists and their opposites in the world of mathematics. It caused a split when set theory was first invented/discovered.
Or d flame wars btw d cult of emacs and the church of d beast (vi).

@davidsmith
you're spot on about languages succeeding cuz of marketg gimmick. But nothwithstanding, they'll still b som holdouts who'll adopt and use a language if it has sufficient merit.
Ppl use perl,apl,forth.
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by asalimpo(m): 10:00am On Aug 31, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Android Apps are based off of Java. Did u watch the Oracle vs Google battle over Android Apps? Check this link ~> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_v._Google . Jerry Yang (and Yahoo) made search engines profitable. What came n beat Yahoo in da search engine game? Google. Name the same company that from search engine had enough money to buy YouTube and make it da number 1 Video Hosting Site in the world? Google.

yahoo failed to prioritize search. They said search wasnt important
. They looked down on search.
In-house staff tried to draw attention to researching on search but the effort failed.
Yahoo was one of d most profitable companies @ d height of d dot com bubble era. They concentrated on being a media portal.
Other search engines were theoretically inferior to google.
Remember askjeeves,alta vista,
excite,lycos? They gave junk results. Not until google's page rank changed things.
Yahoo tried to buy google but bidded too low. In other words,yahoo made a strategic blunder.
Google tried to sell their algorith for a measly $1m but were turned down. It wasnt until an angel investor put down $100k of his own money and got VCs in on the deal tht it took off and google IPOed. The rest as they say is history.
(source: paulgraham.com)
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by asalimpo(m): 10:10am On Aug 31, 2014
uken73:
True, Linus deserves respect. But our world doesn't give you much respect without seeing money on you.
linus has gotten d recognition he deserves. And he's highly respected among people tht matter. As for d wrld,especially the third wrld,it's full of dumbasses. People don't think anymore. Tht's y money and things (and those who hav them are over worshipped).
Besides,the recognition money buys dissapears when the money runs low.
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 31, 2014
Talking about Technicality, I give it to LINUS TORVALDS.. The best things in the world is Free, and Torvalds lived by this word.. Creating a Free OS aint easy.. Hundreds of Nights writing Thousands of Code, and releasing it to the Public for free.. Am really inspired.. Its not all about the Money, its about what one has to offer to the community.. Webservers etc run on Linux..

Linus Torvalds: Talk is Cheap, Show me the Code

2 Likes

Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by dhtml(m): 9:42pm On Aug 31, 2014
Trollin', we suppose add seun osewa to the list, the man freaking build nairaland from cowry shells.
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by Nobody: 12:59am On Sep 01, 2014
asalimpo: @olucurious
that's a dumb statement u just made. Intellectuals will always argue things out.
Read about d arguments btw intuitionists and their opposites in the world of mathematics. It caused a split when set theory was first invented/discovered.
Or d flame wars btw d cult of emacs and the church of d beast (vi).
Well, I just knw I'm not too dumb to participate in this kind of 'intellectuals'
argument.
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by HCpaul(m): 4:05pm On Feb 11, 2015
Interesting
Re: Page, Brin, Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs: Who's More Technically Competent? by 53cur3m0d3(m): 12:45am On Feb 12, 2015
How come I didn't see this thread last year?

(1) (Reply)

App Programming And Website Design / 50 Seasoned Programmers Needed Asap / Wp Help I Want To Change The Look Of My Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.