Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:46 PM

5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced - Computers (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced (37718 Views)

Etisalat And Their Overpriced Calls / Google Glasses All Hype Or Reality? / Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by fanficgirl(f): 7:38pm On Aug 30, 2014
My s4 hasn't cracked yet ..and what about iphones?? By the way, having any of these gadgets isn't a sign of prestige. Anyone can afford them.
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by funshyboi(m): 7:38pm On Aug 30, 2014
ZinoFego: 30 Mil? That can buy TVs for all the households in my village!!!
even SHARP TV for all households in nigeria

1 Like

Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by fanficgirl(f): 7:38pm On Aug 30, 2014
My s4 hasn't cracked yet ..and what about iphones? By the way, having any of these gadgets isn't a sign of prestige. Anyone can afford them.
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by bigtt76(f): 8:02pm On Aug 30, 2014
The last I know ....Samsung or Apple do not go round the street pointing guns at people's head forcing them to buy the 'over-hyped' products, rather people forced themselves to own one so why complain?

Over the years I was in the shoes of those struggling to keep up with the hyped products - I owned a Nokia N70 back then which sold for 50k (2006), bought the first Blackberry Storm 1 for about 90K (2009), bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for abt 90K (2012). The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 served me a lot as I used it in place of my laptop while in transit as well as my primary phone.

Now I've seen the light I use a Nokia XL which costs just 26K and does just what phones should do - calls, read emails, browse and chat. Don't be forced into buying just becos others own one. In US and Europe, these phones are given out almost for free, here we suffer ourselves to save and grab one undecided

2 Likes

Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by snipesdam(m): 8:28pm On Aug 30, 2014
If you love TECNO like my post

I think tecno should start producing LED TVs and smart TV
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by mikron(m): 8:42pm On Aug 30, 2014
Big4wig: Op if u av d money,spend it

btw The day a Ghost got involved in an accident was the day i stopped watching Nollywood.cheesy
and who is talking about nollywood here? some pple can derail topic ehn
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by tziz(m): 9:10pm On Aug 30, 2014
If u wer a tech-savvy gadget guy like me, u'ld jst hav to love dis gadgets. It's nt rilly about show-off to me, and I knw dier prices cn b quite high, buh it doesn't deter peeps like me, once I cn afford, I get. I knw beats audio systems r quite expensive buh jst tink about d rich sound dt it delivers to ur ear drums, aldou I use Sony headphones but when u listen to songs on dis premium headfons, u jst forgt d cash. Look at d crisp, bright and high colour detail of d AMOLED display on a galaxy S5 n all, d sharp pics of dier LED tvs, gosh!, I dnt knw bout y'all buh d cost jst feels rite! I jst wanna tell dem to mke more! I luv dis age!! I luv dese gadgets!

err, Btwn, dis doesn't apply to Apple products cos no matter wat, dey r way overpriced #roll eyes
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by mikron(m): 9:33pm On Aug 30, 2014
eyamensah: Just bcoz apple and samsung products are over priced doesnt mean i shud switch to tecno...everytin na for ur pocket afterall dos producers dont force anyone to buy dier products...it all depends on wat ur wallet can carry except there is anyone here that would pick an M7 tecno ahead of an iphone 5s gold or samsung galaxy s5 if offered d 3 as a gift to choose one
why u come mention one of the cheap tecno phones among the best samsung flagship and iphone flagship phones na? Abi u no knw say tecno get their latest phone? Phantom Z. Na wa for u o. Btw the OP is on point. They are overhyped and overpriced
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 30, 2014
valmunich: Op it ain't a bad idea if you start yours and quit hating you know?
Wisdom seems foolish to a FOOL.
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by femi9naija(m): 11:46pm On Aug 30, 2014
One thing is for sure about the OP: He uses all these #200 earphones and probably uses a chinko phone cheaper than even Tecno. If u got the money spend it but not on the TV or Apple Mac Book
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by KunAviero(m): 12:32am On Aug 31, 2014
I totally have no problem with this post. WRONG. How can you say Samsung phones are overhyped? Have you seen what the S4 can do not to talk of the S5 and yet they are not as pricey as some sony experia and HTC and iphones which are the costliest in the market . Common give credit where credit is due. Moreover there are still low cost samsung phones around. They are all priced according to there specifications.
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by dapsonlou(m): 12:55am On Aug 31, 2014
Samsung is a reap off, I bought a 65 " smart TV for 870k at Allen ave, on delivery day I was happy. My Xbox one and call of duty were waiting on the TV also. Fast forward delivery day, lucky i use Samsung delivery to deliver and their installer, not sure who broke the screen the delivery guy or the installer. They agree to give me another Tv. One week later I came to my senses and demanded my money back. They refuse to return my money even doe they don't have that particular TV in stock. after 2months the told me to come n pick up my TV, they gave me a 1.2million naira 65" Samsung . I refuse and demand for my money, the oyinbo guy told me They gave me a more expensive TV n am still complaining.. I collected the TV out of shame. We all know how cheap this Lebanese are , so if they gave me 330k just cos they don't want to give me my money back , it means we r being over charge, cos I can bet they didn't loose a dime
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by Paulv(m): 12:59am On Aug 31, 2014
sunnykalu125: beats earphones that was overhyped was bought Apple company for $2.5bn dollars.
pls oo just curious,is't not the normal earphones that i know or is this particular one made of gold *money mis road*
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by Caseless: 1:07am On Aug 31, 2014
1stola: I taya o
Beat by dre kor, Flogged by rihanna ni undecided
Nonsense overpriced craps. angry
i can't lie, u made me laff with tears on my eyez.
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by litaninja(m): 1:13am On Aug 31, 2014
Would have expected the entire list to be the entire Apple product line....
As for the Samsung issue, I'm typing this post from an s3 that is 2 or 3 years old, with an extended battery that can go for 3 days without charging, dual boot custom ROMs & over clocked custom kernel! Samsung DOES deliver quality hardware for the price at least.
For the person that says Beats by Dre headphones are good sounding, I'm a pro dj, please take some time out to listen to music on Aug, Bose or B&O headphones and come back here with testimonies....
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by IdJack(m): 3:46am On Aug 31, 2014
You are right, no body is forcing anybody to buy phone that are overpriced.

Here is Spain Samsung and other phones are cheap for their citizens, becos these phones are on contract. I wanted buying a phone Samsung S4 here but when I looked at the price compare to the the Latest Tecno phone R7 and Tecno Z i decided I rather managed the current phone i am using since I can read mails, send mail, chat, browse etc. until i am back to Nigeria before i can buy Tecno maybe R7 or Z and use.

So it better we dont follow the crowd.

But if you work your ass before you get your money, you will better know how to spend it well.

bigtt76: The last I know ....Samsung or Apple do not go round the street pointing guns at people's head forcing them to buy the 'over-hyped' products, rather people forced themselves to own one so why complain?

Over the years I was in the shoes of those struggling to keep up with the hyped products - I owned a Nokia N70 back then which sold for 50k (2006), bought the first Blackberry Storm 1 for about 90K (2009), bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for abt 90K (2012). The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 served me a lot as I used it in place of my laptop while in transit as well as my primary phone.

Now I've seen the light I use a Nokia XL which costs just 26K and does just what phones should do - calls, read emails, browse and chat. Don't be forced into buying just becos others own one. In US and Europe, these phones are given out almost for free, here we suffer ourselves to save and grab one undecided
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by eyamensah(m): 4:22am On Aug 31, 2014
mikron: why u come mention one of the cheap tecno phones among the best samsung flagship and iphone flagship phones na? Abi u no knw say tecno get their latest phone? Phantom Z. Na wa for u o. Btw the OP is on point. They are overhyped and overpriced

Ok between d Phantom Z, iPhone 5s and Galaxy S5 which wud u prefer if ur presented wid d 3 to choose as a gift
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by asids55: 6:07am On Aug 31, 2014
Posman:

the htcs and iphones r made of aluminium and metallic body and yet the plastic samsung is more expensive
let that sink in... that's the meaning of 'overpriced'

you seriously dont want to feel an htc when its extremely hot..you can boil water with it..they had a reason for using the plastic back cover
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 31, 2014
ayex2013: Here are some of the worst price gadgets everyone seems to want or have. You can’t win with these guys so it’s best to just keep your money and buy more reasonable alternatives. Checkout our list of 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced;
1. Beats by Dre

The entire line is complete crap, especially for their ridiculous prices. Did you know that Beats Pro/detox that you saved over 500 dollars to get cost only 3 dollars to make and is still a crap quality headphone? Just giving you the facts people. Yo are buying a lifestyle when you should be buying quality.
2. Samsung Phones

I do not have to reiterate how annoying these are. I mean, they are Android smart phones made entirely of plastic with a weak ass Gorilla glass thing attached to the front. Drop ones and it breaks. And you are expected to shell out over a hundred thousand naira to buy these phones most of the time if you want a flagship something. Can’t be life.
3. Apple Mac Books

Do me a favor, when you are done with this post, kindly take a stroll over to Jumia and check out Mac Book prices… The go all the way up to about a million naira. For a laptop, that needs to charge with electricity and you still have to pay for internet. No Bueno Amigo!!!! The price just doesn’t add up to what we are buying. Sorry!
4. Samsung TVs

The other day mans is strolling through the mall and I see this curved LED TV by Samsung for 30 million naira… No mistakes guys, I call the attendant and asked if there was some kind of error and she did well to hold back her laughter in mockery of my obvious confusion… Then you start to look around and you begin to notice the prices on these things. Samsung needs to be stopped!
5. Smart Watches

The new rave of the moment, everyone wants a Moto 360 or a pebble that will set you back 700-800 dollars, Money that can buy land. And all the watch will do is notify you when your phone is ringing and tell you time and weather. Alright guys, I understand the foolishness. Well done! OBO!

Source: http://www.ngtrends.com/2014/08/5-gadgets-hype-overpriced/

I agree with 4 out of 5 points. The samsung TVs though are bang for the buck. They are about the best LED TVs on the market... i own 3 flat screen LEDs from samsung and i can say the only TV i can compare to them are the Pioneer Kuro (no longer in production) and the Sony Bravia.
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by alabo1: 11:14am On Aug 31, 2014
KunAviero: I totally have no problem with this post. WRONG. How can you say Samsung phones are overhyped? Have you seen what the S4 can do not to talk of the S5 and yet they are not as pricey as some sony experia and HTC and iphones which are the costliest in the market . Common give credit where credit is due. Moreover there are still low cost samsung phones around. They are all priced according to there specifications.

please tell me what the s4 and s5 can do that far cheaper phones like the gionee m2, gpad 2 and infinix alpha and tecno r7 to name a few can't do. I have compared these devices and only find marginal differences in screen display while the devices I mentioned have better battery life.most of the functions we hype in the s4 , HTC one etc like 4g are not even available here. it saddens me that in a country where earning power is so lower people still fritter away hard earned money on these frivolities. a phone is not an achievement or an investment. for such a purchase the ideal is to get the cheapest with the most value.
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by tziz(m): 12:37pm On Aug 31, 2014
alabo1:

please tell me what the s4 and s5 can do that far cheaper phones like the gionee m2, gpad 2 and infinix alpha and tecno r7 to name a few can't do. I have compared these devices and only find marginal differences in screen display while the devices I mentioned have better battery life.most of the functions we hype in the s4 , HTC one etc like 4g are not even available here. it saddens me that in a country where earning power is so lower people still fritter away hard earned money on these frivolities. a phone is not an achievement or an investment. for such a purchase the ideal is to get the cheapest with the most value.
Uv answerd som of ur questions alredy, samsung spots vry high quality display on dier fons unlike d low quality ones on dese Chinese fon's u mentioned, durability is anoda big tin, iv recommended tecno fons to pple n regretted dem till dis day cos dey kip complaining dese fon's bhave funny frm freezing screens to screens moving on dier own, even dier flagship fons. Dese Chinese flagship fons r powered by Mediatek's MTK chipset compared to d superior Qualcom Snapdragons popularly seen in samsung, HTC, SE etc flagships. Think about the sensors Samsung S series pack. Nobody hypes dese fons, dey r self-hyped. It's nt an investment but once I cn afford it, am getting it or upgrading. Different strokes for different folks, som pple prefer to spend thousands of naira on alcohol, women n we all knw d "the earning power is low". But plssssss, I beg u on my knees, dnt compare Samsung wit a Tecno, Gionee, n all, dey shuldnt even be in d same statement together, its a taboo plsssssss!
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by DAVE5(m): 2:01pm On Aug 31, 2014
okay let's do some maths,

2 guys; one earning 70k monthly and the other 1.5million in an oil coy, should their standards of living (house, gadgets, cars etc) cost d same amount, to me; NO

am not trying to be a hater here but dangote should not be caught using an iphone 5s like me or i'll consider him a broke dude...

d rich dudes must have something(s) poor folks can't afford (and would jst complain about as being overpriced cos they cant afford it) afterall thats y d price of land in banana island is different from that of ajegunle...

1 Like

Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by ibrhyme77(m): 2:48pm On Aug 31, 2014
kevoh: Not TV costs 30 million Naira jor angry . If you say 3 million I might agree with you. No dey bobo us abeg.
I tot so too,the other time i checked at LG shop the most expensive tv dia was 2.4mil,it is LED 84 inches and i know samsung can not be too far off.Maybe the OP needs his glasses.
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by kevoh(m): 2:53pm On Aug 31, 2014
ibrhyme77: I tot so too,the other time i checked at LG shop the most expensive tv dia was 2.4mil,it is LED 84 inches and i know samsung can not be too far off.Maybe the OP needs his glasses.
I've seen 8.6 million Naira Samsung TV though in Abuja but 30 million ....
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by Kessythegeek(m): 3:47pm On Aug 31, 2014
Louis Vuitton umbrella for 93000 naira? does it cover shame?
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by tziz(m): 3:58pm On Aug 31, 2014
Kessythegeek: Louis Vuitton umbrella for 93000 naira? does it cover shame?
Yes it covers shame and rain in style..
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by unmask: 4:22pm On Aug 31, 2014
Posman:

the htcs and iphones r made of aluminium and metallic body and yet the plastic samsung is more expensive
let that sink in... that's the meaning of 'overpriced'
and how much does it cost to make the phones? You think because it is made of plastic, it is cheaper than an iphone or htc? Yet you don't wonder why vanagons are not the most expensive vehicles
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by Archmage(m): 8:10pm On Aug 31, 2014
social reality is encapsulated in class positions.... this issue is more social and economic and less of the technologies in question... hype sells, in the meantime at least.... if u put ur pupu in polythene bags, u can sell it as manure.... my thoughts
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by mikron(m): 11:01pm On Aug 31, 2014
eyamensah:

Ok between d Phantom Z, iPhone 5s and Galaxy S5 which wud u prefer if ur presented wid d 3 to choose as a gift
na the samsung na grin grin
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by mikron(m): 11:11pm On Aug 31, 2014
kevoh:
I've seen 8.6 million Naira Samsung TV though in Abuja but 30 million ....
so why are u contradicting urself? initially u claimed no tv cost 30mil, that you will agree if it is 3mill, now u agree a new price of 8.6 mill. oga latest giant LED tvs like samsumg and panasonic goes as far as $400,000 to $500,000. convert that to naira you will be hitting N30 to 45 mill. dey there dey doubt
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by kevoh(m): 12:08am On Sep 01, 2014
mikron: so why are u contradicting urself? initially u claimed no tv cost 30mil, that you will agree if it is 3mill, now u agree a new price of 8.6 mill. oga latest giant LED tvs like samsumg and panasonic goes as far as $400,000 to $500,000. convert that to naira you will be hitting N30 to 45 mill. dey there dey doubt
ok. Thanks for the info.
Re: 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced by KunAviero(m): 12:25am On Sep 01, 2014
alabo1:

The air gesture and eye detection alone impressed me so much in the S4. Can these other phone of yours do that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Surf The Web Anonymously! / Easy Steps To Format A Window7 Computer / Use Of Windows 7 Powered Devices Risky - Minister, Pantami

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.