Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,873 members, 7,806,490 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... (5612 Views)

Agric Diary Season Two; The Making Of Lubyanks Farms;"dodo's 10 Acre Habitat". / 4 Nairalanders Launch Agric Ecommerce Website.... / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 8:02pm On Sep 21, 2014
Day 17... Light drizzle this morn didn't stop a snap visit to 'Jamo'.The plants are coming on strongly although there seems to be bugs feasting on foliage at the border areas therefore we proceeded on an impromptu manual pest control...caught,killed four and took a snap pic of the foliar damage and culprit...This week, the agenda is weeding,constructing trellises and fertilizer application.
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 8:10pm On Sep 21, 2014
Pic one; Foliar damage...pic two; foliar pest..

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by whirlwind7(m): 9:41am On Sep 22, 2014
I LOOOOOVE YOUR SPIRIT!

KEEP THIS UP, BRO!

1 Like

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 5:57pm On Sep 22, 2014
Day 18....Had a ferocious supercell with gale force winds this late midnight...thoughts immediately went out to the seedlings in jamaica....So early enough set out to survey potential damage only to find out they not only where unhurt but thriving.....kudos to my windbreakers AGAIN as we were lucky to have the rogue-cell come north by south easterly thus enabling my windbreakers to shelter Jamo from serious wind damage...we lost no seedling...
Commenced weeding today, turning up the soil to make it friable thus allowing aeration of the plant roots, exposing colonies of harmful soil borne pathogens e.g Erwinia trachiepilia,to the sun and taking in sterilized fresh topsoil into the ridge close to the roots....We hope to conclude on time before fertilization...Meet the bush windbreakers in the background;Rufus,Brutus,Sam,Angus,Joe and co...

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 6:23pm On Sep 22, 2014
[b] Sitrep on why no day 16 because we went shopping....The good thing about garki model market is its big heart and trade volume,you can get almost anything in there...as for me, i found a farmwife and henchman
Pic 1;Meet Rose, she is light,tolerant to clogged up soils and is user friendly as she doesn't mind left handed blokes like me.You can see the dirt on her blade to show we are already used to one another....
Pic2; My 'spare tire' Bertha, Look i don't think rose can handle all of me so we found her a 'helper'...Bertha is rather burly and a bit unwieldy but she is strong and dangerous....rocky soils and virgin lands are not a problem to this buxom lady....
Pic3; Meet Blade,my close confidante,my left hand man....without his sharp sense of duty how do you think we can cut down tree roots,farm invaders and banana bunches from river grooves??
Pic 4; Meet Emiliana and Esperanza, my hand nurses.I got very soft hands,so i blister very easily holding hard to unforgiving surfaces cue in my hand nurses,they are very soft,bear the brunt of hard surfaces and they don't complain.......[/b]

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 8:11pm On Sep 23, 2014
[b] Day 19......Heavy winds delayed today's proceedings but we eventually got down to it though there are still some ridges still left to till over.....While at work we discovered a new threat,hopefully early enough..... APHIDS...known as plant lice these suckly buggers are gardners worst nightmare..they live underside of plant leaves sucking plant sap...they are also 'farmed' by ants,i suspect, who keep egg cases in their hive underground until they scout a new plant succulent enough then they install these cases until they hatchout as Aphids..these Aphids whilst piercing and sucking plant juices are induced to produce Honey dew for ants....a nefarious form of symbiosis as far as gardners all over the world are concerned....even though infestation is very low,We try to maintain the strict policy of avoiding pesticide chemicals and toxins on garden produce for human consumption so we are looking at brewing a secret home recipe to curb this mencace...Aphids kill plants and spread watermelon mosaic virus....We are not having it..[/b]
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by FarmTech(m): 4:46pm On Sep 24, 2014
Following, keep it up.
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 7:18pm On Sep 24, 2014
Day 20........Jamaica in the full glow of sunrise....

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 7:33pm On Sep 24, 2014
Close up view...

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 8:00pm On Sep 25, 2014
Day 21.....Weeding to be completed tomorrow and fertilizer applied ASAP......before then,today i took Blade on an exercise....evicting unwanted tenants in Jamaica,leveling down tree and shrub stumps Home of the squash bugs,see day 17..squash bugs? out!....Aphids? Thanks to my homebrew bug spray....Out!.Looking to rigg up a tobacca flavoured upgrade to my homebrew....will christen the concotion Zalayeta.
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by OgologoDimkpa: 2:31pm On Sep 26, 2014
I thought you only love football. Never knew you're a farmer.

keep it up!
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 7:29pm On Sep 26, 2014
OgologoDimkpa: I thought you only love football. Never knew you're a farmer.

keep it up!
Oga na your hand we dey o! Farming is just a hobby..besides,i am obsessed with fruits and vegetables...
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 7:45pm On Sep 26, 2014
Day 22....TGIF!!!.Wooww!!...Finished weeding on schedule....commenced fertilization though uncompleted but hopefully will round up tomorrow..Interestin to note how we struck up a friendly convo with a fulani herdsman in the bush..he instantly knew what the plant was..very intelligient for one who doesn't do any cultivation at all....Will make it a point of duty to send some garden produce up his village..A friendly gesture btw North and East..Meanwhile.......

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 8:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
Day 23...still fertilizing though got distracted by a pest problem....finally gotten rid of the Aphids and really looking forward to taking out the squash bugs...looked them on the net and found at they are really called Cucumber beetles...they transmit bacterial wilt though watermelons are immune but the sooner we get rid of them the better....The problem with bush gardening is you get all sorts of things from the sublime to the absurd...Mother Nature just wants a piece of the action.
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 7:22pm On Sep 28, 2014
Day 24.....what did we say about nature?! yeah she blew up in our faces with massive galeforce rain winds that almost threw me and my umbrella away..bad enough jamaica was on the summit of a hill so we are looking triple times effect,this ofcourse had a devastating blow with softie watermelons about a quater of the crop suffering some varying degrees of tissues injuries...we don't need a messy battle with contagious anthracnose,gum stem and fruit rot diseases... so we are uprootin and replanting...Hopefully,the rain gods will temper justice with mercy this time around..Special thanks to Salisu and Dan-Fulani for their kindness.
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 7:16pm On Sep 29, 2014
Day 25.....Close of work today found us at Garki model market where we got into transfer talks with prospective garden inputs..details coming up later...
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Nobody: 3:40am On Sep 30, 2014
funny brother.
ichidodo: Day 15...Terrible Night it was but we pull through all thanks to the windbreakers established in Jamaica else most of the seedlings would be snapped like twigs by the ferocious rain breeze....but we lose just one seedling....R.I.P...

1 Like

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by lif2uz(m): 6:40am On Sep 30, 2014
I envisage success ahead, goodluck bro! I'm following....

1 Like

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 11:50pm On Sep 30, 2014
Day 25.....Just signed on game changers to the spot of pest bother...will introduce them very soon..meanwhile..it turned out that damage was quite extensive than we thought...seemed the rain breeze came from east by south-easterly thus dodging the shield of the windbreaker and blowing hell on Jamaica...we are talking about 60% crop damage...after due contemplation and consultations where we almost decided to up root all crop and replant..it was eventually decided we leave them in situ and replant amongst them in situ...as you will observe from the pixes of the spaces in btw cropping which will serves as our replanting space....this is akin to intercropping but doing so with same crop thus we are still in the running for a double crop...this has never been done in the history of watermelon cropping..Watermelon plants at diff stage take in diff nutrient...the only draw-back will be limited sunlight space...but we have a game-plan....
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 7:52pm On Oct 02, 2014
Day 27.....Since reestablished our second crop...Now we wait for germination,hopefully,this weekend...The few days have been wet.
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 9:24pm On Oct 03, 2014
Day 28....Rains everywhere?! Like what the f**k?!..
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 7:03pm On Oct 04, 2014
Day 29..what's that saying again? "it never rains but it pours" Yeah, its like June all over again.Good enough Crop2 has started germinating regardless the strenous efforts of the elements to fustrate and unearth some seeds and also Crop1 seems to be taken to the weather very well...
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 9:58pm On Oct 07, 2014
Day 32.....We have been blessed with abundant sunshine these past few days...Crop 2 is growing in leaps and bounds,no thunderstorm or supercell to cause havoc as it was in the early days of Crop 1....Flowers has started blooming on Crop 1 (see picture),we are looking at conducting and perfectin various gardening manoeurves on Crop 1 for smooth practical transition on to Crop 2 for Optimum yield...

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 8:44pm On Oct 09, 2014
Day 34....My Godfather just passed away in London this morning...Still had to visit my watermelons and felt much better.Guess agriculture can posses some therapeutic effect when you least expect...
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by iiichidodo: 11:49am On Oct 11, 2014
Jahool!! ....36th day.....
elements of Crop one are setting fruit...**smacking my fat lips**

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 6:53pm On Oct 14, 2014
Day 39.....Got around doing tech gardening work and Voila!....Crop one Watermelon balls are coming on schedule.....**smacking my fat lips***

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 9:46pm On Oct 17, 2014
Day 42...Past few days have been hot with evening thunderstorms,at a point crop two wasn't looking to be doing so good with threats of foliar fungal attacks which was resolved pruning their hedgerow covers and all...Crop one has been setting fruit and my worker bees are workin overtime making watermelon balls...We are looking at a bounty crop one..
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by YesScatter: 12:47pm On Oct 18, 2014
drop me here.

2 Likes

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 7:35pm On Oct 21, 2014
Day 46.....Ball$$,Ball$$,Ball$$...

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by LONGFELLOW02(m): 1:19am On Oct 28, 2014
Nwanne wat happen. . U hv not been gving us update about ur farm
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 9:21pm On Nov 08, 2014
^^^Sorry bro,Up to my gills with my desk-job...but hey!! the show must go on.Day 62...Balls are getting bigger every week will have to take a weighing scale to jamaica..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oil Palm Farmers Complain Of Little Government Support / Cucumber Farm / Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.