Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,704 members, 7,802,095 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

[help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria (32713 Views)

Can A B.sc.ed Chemistry 1st Class Graduate Master In Chemical Engr Field? / Re: Difference Between B.sc.ed And B.sc In Accounting. Is There Discrimination / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by NLProblemChild(m): 12:44am On Mar 23, 2017
darkhorizon:
@Livebygrace

Finally let me layout the structure of Bsc. and Bsc(Ed) in my discipline(Physics) for my university.
100 level: Bsc(Ed) and Bsc students offer the same core courses in Physics/ Math,infact we did all the math courses of 100 level.
Total number of physics courses done:6 for both Bsc and Bsc(Ed) students

200 level:Bsc(Ed) and Bsc students offer the same core courses,only that electives were chosen from faculty of education for Bsc(Ed) students,and electives from faculty of physical sciences for Bsc students.
Total number of physics courses done:7 for both Bsc and Bsc(Ed) students

300 level(The difference begin here): Bsc students offer all core physics courses,which is 12 in total and also 3 required courses from math( completing the maximum allowed credit of 48). While Bsc(Ed) students offer just 6 out of the twelve completing their credits in courses of the faculty of education.
Total number of physics courses done:12 for Bsc students and 6 for Bsc(Ed) students

400 level: Out of 35 physics courses to chose from,Bsc students are required to select a minimum of 14 courses for the session. While only 11 of the 35 courses is available to Bsc(Ed) students to choose from.
And they are allowed to choose between 5 and 6 completing their remaining credit at the faculty of Education.
Total number of physics courses done:14-16 for both Bsc students 5-6 for Bsc(Ed) students.

So from this analysis,you can see that we didn't do the same number of physics courses throughout our stay in the university. And mind you,i can confidently say that I did 50-60% of Bsc Math entire coursework but still I can't outrightly say I am equal and superior to Bsc Math students/graduates. Bsc Math students only did 4 Physics courses in 100 level and that's all.

And moreover Project topics in Bsc and Bsc(Ed) is a clear indication that they are not the same.

In Bsc Physics for example,your project might have you researching on latest cutting edge technologies,fabricating stuffs,or do a pure mathematical analysis of a physical system.

While in Bsc(Ed) Physics your project might have you researching on how to improve the standard of teaching Physics at the secondary school level, or taking about how the teaching of specific areas of Physics will benefit the society at large. And so on.

u must be a lasuite or !?
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by Livebygrace: 8:23am On Mar 23, 2017
darkhorizon:
@Livebygrace

Finally let me layout the structure of Bsc. and Bsc(Ed) in my discipline(Physics) for my university.
100 level: Bsc(Ed) and Bsc students offer the same core courses in Physics/ Math,infact we did all the math courses of 100 level.

200 level:Bsc(Ed) and Bsc students offer the same core courses,only that electives were chosen from faculty of education for Bsc(Ed) students,and electives from faculty of physical sciences for Bsc students.

300 level(The difference begin here): Bsc students offer all core physics courses,which is 12 in total and also 3 required courses from math( completing the maximum allowed credit of 48). While Bsc(Ed) students offer just 6 out of the twelve completing their credits in courses of the faculty of education.
Total number of physics courses done:12 for Bsc students and 6 for Bsc(Ed) students

400 level: Out of 35 physics courses to chose from,Bsc students are required to select a minimum of 14 courses for the session. While only 11 of the 35 courses is available to Bsc(Ed) students to choose from.
And they are allowed to choose between 5 and 6 completing their remaining credit at the faculty of Education.
Total number of physics courses done:14-16 for both Bsc students 5-6 for Bsc(Ed) students.

So from this analysis,you can see that we didn't do the same number of physics courses throughout our stay in the university. And mind you,i can confidently say that I did 50-60% of Bsc Math entire coursework but still I can't outrightly say I am equal and superior to Bsc Math students/graduates. Bsc Math students only did 4 Physics courses in 100 level and that's all.

And moreover Project topics in Bsc and Bsc(Ed) is a clear indication that they are not the same.

In Bsc Physics for example,your project might have you researching on latest cutting edge technologies,fabricating stuffs,or do a pure mathematical analysis of a physical system.

While in Bsc(Ed) Physics your project might have you researching on how to improve the standard of teaching Physics at the secondary school level, or taking about how the teaching of specific areas of Physics will benefit the society at large. And so on.

Imagine! And u use ur SCHL to generalize? I am telling u what is obtainable with Bsc. Ed. Cert and u're arguing even when u don't have type of cert. Anyway, ccontinue but for your info. Science Education is an application of science to education, the reason they write projects on education while other sciences only apply to Physical sciences. Believe it or not, someone with BSc. Ed. is at advantage over those with only BSc. I have friends we graduated 2gether working in industries but u wouldn't believe because I've programmed itself that way. Maybe when u get out of ur schl, u'll learn better. Better still, consult ur lecturers for more clarifications.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by darkhorizon: 9:13am On Mar 23, 2017
Livebygrace:

Imagine! And u use ur SCHL to generalize? I am telling u what is obtainable with Bsc. Ed. Cert and u're arguing even when u don't have type of cert. Anyway, ccontinue but for your info. Science Education is an application of science to education, the reason they write projects on education while other sciences only apply to Physical sciences. Believe it or not, someone with BSc. Ed. is at advantage over those with only BSc. I have friends we graduated 2gether working in industries but u wouldn't believe because I've programmed itself that way. Maybe when u get out of ur schl, u'll learn better. Better still, consult ur lecturers for more clarifications.

You are not making any sense with your arguments,how are they better than Bsc students,and since you said you offered all the Bsc courses,tell me how you managed to do that without exceeding your maximum allowed credit,and that in the span of just 4 years.
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by darkhorizon: 9:29am On Mar 23, 2017
Livebygrace:

Anyway, ccontinue but for your info. Science Education is an application of science to education, the reason they write projects on education while other sciences only apply to Physical sciences.

Is this not what I have been saying since the beginning of this argument.

Livebygrace:
I have friends we graduated 2gether working in industries

What position do they hold in the industry/ what type of industry are you talking about here. Moreover we are in a lawless country where anyone with good connections can get to work anywhere.

Livebygrace:
Better still, consult ur lecturers for more clarifications.

Hahaha my lecturers?? I can remember back in school ,they used to call Bsc(Ed) students "our secondary school teachers" . So I don't need any further clarifications.
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by Livebygrace: 9:32am On Mar 23, 2017
darkhorizon:

You are not making any sense with your arguments,how are they better than Bsc students,and since you said you offered all the Bsc courses,tell me how you managed to do that without exceeding your maximum allowed credit,and that in the span of just 4 years.

I can't just but laugh but I won't answer your question. Even if I answered, u will still continue this way because it seems u're wiser than all the universities that offer MSC admissions to BSc. Ed. graduates. Bye for now.
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by xtian234(m): 9:43am On Mar 23, 2017
[quote author=darkhorizon post=54851615]@Livebygrace

[/quot

This is a convincing analogy.... currently a 300level students I also noticed this so captioned subject matter in Bsc biology and Biology bsc Ed. there are courses the BSc students offer that the BSc Ed. didn't do.
in addition, during practical in my school the group is different the Ed. dept are not allowed to use the microscope individually the instructor will just connect the microscope to the projector and they will see it displayed on the screen while the bsc biology and microbiology will be splited in group to view the specimen one after the other in different resolution directly from the microscope. when the instructor was asked while it's done dat way he said the Bsc Edu. only needs the knowledge and not the practical and industrial experience.
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by darkhorizon: 9:53am On Mar 23, 2017
[quote author=xtian234 post=54861230][/quote]

Exactly what I have been saying,but Livebygrace no wan gree
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by darkhorizon: 9:58am On Mar 23, 2017
@ Livebygrace, this is from your school.

"Faculty of Science Education
Philosophy, Objective and Scope
The basic objective of the Department of Science Education is to train Science teachers who are academically and professionally competent to educate pupils, and make them literate in the sciences at all levels of the educational system. The purpose is to turn out dedicated and reliable science educators knowledgeable in all areas of science, and skilled in classroom management as well as in dealing with human beings.
Job Opportunities
Students who successfully complete the programme have ample teaching opportunities with the various Ministries of Education and Private Schools in the country.
Subject Combinations
The following subject combinations are available in the Department:
Education / Biology
Education / Chemistry
Education / Mathematics
Education / Physics
Education / Integrated Science
Students of the Department of Science Education take general Education courses from the Department of Educational Foundations. They also take courses from the various Departments in which their teaching subjects are based.
Two Education Courses housed in the Department of Science Education, are service courses for most Departments in the Faculty of Education. They are:
EDUÂ Â Â 441Â Â Â -Â Â Â Measurement and Evaluation
EDUÂ Â Â 341Â Â Â -Â Â Â Research Methods, Statistics and Computer Usage "
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by stanliwise(m): 11:11pm On Mar 29, 2017
I created this thread some years back and that was because I had issues concerning Bsc(ED) AND Bsc. One fundamental truth is that no course is greater than the other and one thing to notice is that both courses offer the core of their discipline and the differences is the elective and mandatory courses that both offer, So both courses offer the same credit of core courses(There are also exception). @darkhorizon

In Nigeria currently, It is not helpful to start distracting your mind as to whether or not one course is better than the other, the truth is that there are millions of youth out there with cert just like your own and with same grade of even better grades than you do and they haven't gotten job anywhere or are anywhere close to been fulfilled. Choose your course based on your perception and understanding of life and this can be easily be made known by inquiry and self-discovery and rediscovery.

Education courses where introduced to university to train Educationist who will be fit to carryout Educational research and modern methodologies and also to teach at higher level of education, which include secondary school, polytechnics and with additional certificate one could teach anywhere. It is now even getting better as government are restricting education teaching and research to individual who has an Edu., cert, There by making Education certificate more relevant in present economy.

Yes, Am an Education student studying Computer Science Education, am in 300 level, and I don't feel I wrote this to just support my course, improve my morale or something, I could as well remain silent If I felt bad about what am studying now, but the reverse is the case. I love Education as a course now. And previously, I thought it would dash out the hope of me being a scientist, but NO!. I am now a Science Educationist if I may use such word.

Feel free to reply me if you have any issues

6 Likes

Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by Fidelmak(m): 10:48pm On May 03, 2017
am studying physics edu. does that mean i can do my masters in electrical electronics or computer science
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by shettima97835: 6:16am On Jul 18, 2017
Hello everyone. Well I always feel annoyed when people loose hope on opportunities the have while others are dying to have that. I have three people in my family who studied education and presently are living very comfortable, my elder brother studied English education and after Nysc with 5 month he got a job with Nigerian airforce as a flying Officer ( two star). My aunty studied biology education and presently works with the united nation. That women has flown to many country in the world. My uncle is the worst of all, that man studied the most disrespectful education course in fact education single honour called (continuous education) in unimaid but presently he is a bank manager in Gombe with his staff car living not only comfortable but extremely comfortable. But one thing with all of them the graduated with a good grade (2:1). So hope this may encourage all students of edu to study hard because success await you. Bye!!!

7 Likes

Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by Donmarvy: 2:29am On Jan 28, 2018
Considering the fact that I'm a graduate with a Bsc( Ed) degree andi can most definitely tell this isnt correct because Bsc(Ed) holders do both IT and TP not one instead of the other... I had my IT in 300l and T.P 409And no your project doesnt have to be in education. There are two types to select from: research (in education) or moelling and/or designing(science). I actually did design of a mobile application so yeah i created a software not education whatever. Like they said it is double honours ... Problem is its not yet widely acceptable as it should be.. Thats why people think its trash...
magnificient7:
As a Bsc(ed), you are trained majorly for teaching or lecturing and not for industry. Instead of IT, you do teaching practice, and your project is in Education and not even in your other major course.

IMO, In Nigeria, its better to have Bsc than Bsc(ed) especially if you want to have a great chance of working in the industry.

in summary, its easier for one with BSc to become a lecturer than Bsc(ed) to work in industry.
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by aydunamis: 7:12am On Feb 06, 2018
Pls, can someone with BscEd in chemistry do her master science in health care?
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by gaikhena: 7:02pm On Dec 28, 2019
Please do Tai Solarin do PGDE with a double honour? As in one get M.ed added? I read somewhere
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by CryptoJnath(m): 11:16pm On Feb 14, 2020
This is interesting!!! Ignorance can actually kill.
Re: [help] B.Sc, B.Sc(ED) And B.ED certificate discrimination in Nigeria by Stanleywise: 9:28am On Jan 26
Pls oo I am doing science education is it only teaching than I can do after graduating

(1) (2) (Reply)

MTN Concert At University Of Ilorin; Few Students Show-up - See Photos / 8 Nairalanders Who Grew Up Together, Recreate Their Picture After 8 Years / How Sylvester Oromoni Died: The Inside Details By Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.