Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,237 members, 7,807,788 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa (23847 Views)

Forget Ice Bucket Challenge, Now You Can Press Br*asts For Charity / ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Do You Know What You Are Supporting? / Nigerian Celebrities And The Ice Bucket Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by gorociano: 10:16am On Sep 02, 2014
Pursuant to this post here: https://www.nairaland.com/1848812/10-nigerians-climbing-mt-kilimanjaro#25322842 i found this here: http://ajalayemi./2014/09/02/ice-bucket-challenge-naah-we-climb-in-africa/ and decided to share. Story can also be found here: http://www.thecable.ng/charity-hikers-revel-in-success-of-mt-kilimanjaro-climb

While the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness and funding for treatment of ALS was making viral laps of honour around the world, some Africans were doing their own challenge to raise awareness for another rare but serious health condition. In a bid to raise awareness on Down syndrome and fundraise for the Down syndrome Foundation, 2 Nigerians and a Cameroonian professional summited Mt Kilimanjaro on Friday 22nd August at about 9.00am. The charity hike called Climb for Down syndrome was organized by Inspired by charity, a Lagos based social enterprise. The professionals, Umar Farouk Umar a UK based software engineer, Thierry Mbimi, Director of Financial Risk Management at KPMG Lagos and Adedotun Eyinade, a Tanzania based Global Fellow with Acumen Fund embarked on the 6-day hike on Monday 18th August through the Machame route.

“This is by far the most challenging thing I have done in my three decades of existence”, said Eyinade Adedotun, co-founder of Inspired by Charity. “We braved the odds of Altitude Mountain Sickness (AMS), physical exhaustion and freezing sub-zero temperature of the summit night to reach Uhuru Peak, the roof of Africa. According to Thierry Mbimi, one of the hikers, summiting Mt Kilimanjaro was no mean feat, and remains a testament to the team’s determination and undying courage in the quest of championing a worthy cause.

Machame route, one of the seven routes to Uhuru peak is said to be the most scenic and is preferred because it allows for hikers to acclimatize to the altitude. In all the team hiked for close to 40 hours across five distinct ecological zones to reach Uhuru peak (5,895meters)

We hope more Nigerians will be encouraged to donate to support the outstanding work that the Down Syndrome Foundation is doing to provide succor and care to persons living with Down Syndrome, said, Umar Farouk Umar who joined the hiking party from his base in London. “That was the very motivation for our climb; we are grateful for the encouragement we received during the climb and we hope that more people will be inspired to give out of appreciation for our modest efforts”, he added. In order to supplement the donations already received, pictures from the climb will be packaged into a coffee table book, and a public exhibition of the pictures will also be made. Proceeds from the sales of the book and the exhibition will be donated to support the work of the Down Syndrome Foundation Nigeria.

Donations to the Down Syndrome Foundation can be made directly to their bank account as well as on 234give.com, a crowdfunding site.

Climb for Down Syndrome was supported by: KPMG, Ynaija, Premium Times, The cable news, Ekekee, One Life Initiatives, Development Diaries and Jobberman

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by eemjay17(m): 10:43am On Sep 02, 2014
Nice one.

6 Likes

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 02, 2014
Nonsense exercise...there is Obudu mountain here in Nigeria.
Waste of foreign currency....Hope this is not sponsored by TAN grin
I won't be surprised to see Uncle Jona taking the "hilltop" task as well. grin
Who send una message? angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by kultimate009: 10:49am On Sep 02, 2014
Down syndrome (DS) or Down's syndrome,
also known as trisomy 21, is a genetic disorder
caused by the presence of all or part of a third
copy of chromosome 21.

It is typically associated with physical growth delays, characteristic facial features, and mild to
moderate intellectual disability.

The average IQ of a young adult with Down syndrome is 50, equivalent to the mental age of an 8- or 9-year-old child, but this varies widely.

It is also one of the most relegated illnesses in Africa and probably the one that needs the most attention. A lot of down syndrome sufferers in Africa experience a lot of mental and physical discrimination from mostly ignorant folks. Glad to see them bring the issue to light and educate more people on it. Will be donating a token to their cause. God bless Nigeria, God bless Africa.

26 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by wellmax(m): 10:49am On Sep 02, 2014
I celebrate my friend and fellow Great Ife Alumni Eyinade Adedotun for this feat.
Goro I see you, welldone gorociano

8 Likes

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by Wisdomkosi(m): 10:50am On Sep 02, 2014
OK
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by korel9: 10:50am On Sep 02, 2014
Okay!

But wait, how e dey do dem sef? undecided

1 Like

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by ncoolboiy(m): 10:51am On Sep 02, 2014
That's good
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by flowjoe: 10:51am On Sep 02, 2014
Mencade5 shey u wan donate ..oya see ya chance

3 Likes

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by Segadem(m): 10:52am On Sep 02, 2014
I was there
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by firstolalekan(m): 10:53am On Sep 02, 2014
WHY HAS ANYONE NOT CLIMBED ZUMA ROCK

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by publicenemy(m): 10:53am On Sep 02, 2014
Keneking: Nonsense exercise...there is Obudu mountain here in Nigeria.

Obudu Mountain cannot raise universal
awareness because its not amohg the highest
moutains in the world or even africa and its
located in your village where only you and your
fellow villagers know it even exists.

If you must criticize anything,atleast be
reasonable.

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by wellmax(m): 10:54am On Sep 02, 2014

You sick, the guy resides in Tanzania presently. You in Nigeria, what have you done?

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by obailala(m): 10:55am On Sep 02, 2014
smh for the reasoning of some individuals undecided

Do you realise it's suppose to be a challenge?
do you realise Kilomanjaro is the highest mountain in Africa?
Is Obudu even a mountain?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by Segadem(m): 10:55am On Sep 02, 2014
haba Mr. madam die-die now wetin Oga Jona do u?

5 Likes

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by Bryan12(m): 10:55am On Sep 02, 2014
I see you.brothers. #teamspacebookers
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by akpanikpe(m): 10:55am On Sep 02, 2014
?
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by SmooshCHN: 10:55am On Sep 02, 2014
Those Americans think they're tough ehn angry Can IPhone 5 nominate Samsung Galaxy S5 for Ice Bucket Challenge?? cheesy cheesy
Well, as far as the awareness is raised.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by afribookorg(m): 10:55am On Sep 02, 2014
Bought a new Toyota car from Aba. If Aba made doesn't kill me who will? grin grin

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by lirusehn(m): 10:56am On Sep 02, 2014
have climed tha Ish more than a hundred times cool

1 Like

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 02, 2014
wellmax:

You sick, the guy resides in Tanzania presently. You in Nigeria, what have you done?

All of them? grin
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by chelseabmw(m): 10:57am On Sep 02, 2014
Wow
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by akpanikpe(m): 10:57am On Sep 02, 2014
firstolalekan: WHY HAS ANYONE NOT CLIMBED ZUMA ROCK
Abi all the mountains in plateau state.

1 Like

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by lilprinze: 10:57am On Sep 02, 2014
wow the highest mountain in the whole of Africa so we still have some brave and courageous Nigerians who are brave enough to think of climbing the highest mountain in Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by Samfigo1(m): 10:57am On Sep 02, 2014
Mount Kili? I've climbed Everest b4
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by saintfizzo(m): 10:57am On Sep 02, 2014
Me likey grin
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 02, 2014
Segadem: haba Mr. madam die-die now wetin Oga Jona do u?

"die-die" means what please?
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by Moblord(m): 10:58am On Sep 02, 2014
Claf po them

1 Like

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by Jhosh(m): 10:58am On Sep 02, 2014
End time tinz..
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 02, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 5 Advantages Of Drinking Water Early Morning(empty Stomach) / Why Pregnant Women Should Watch Their Diet / The Real Reason Nigerian Hospitals Ask For Police Report In Trauma Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.