Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,788 members, 7,802,461 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Nigeria's Navy Is On The Right Track, And Here Is Why - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Navy Is On The Right Track, And Here Is Why (1300 Views)

Buhari On Right Track In Battle Against Boko Haram – US / 100 Days: Buhari On The Right Track, Says Tukur / Nigeria Navy Military Capabilities Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Navy Is On The Right Track, And Here Is Why by Chxta(m): 8:08am On Sep 03, 2014
On arrival at the base, our first port of call was the Underwater Warfare Training Facility. This is basically a four storey high tank that simulates the conditions underwater, in order to let naval divers learn, and perfect their craft. The tank is in use, and we were shown an example of how it is made use of. Following the tank, we were taken to see some of their workshops. The Nigerian military, since the days of Abacha, when sanctions decimated its ability to service its equipment, has been making efforts to look inwards in terms of fabrication and maintenance. Like in Victoria Island, I saw vessels under repair, and a device, outfitted for making repairs underwater. What I found most interesting was the fact that there were trainees being taught how to make those repairs. One of my hosts, who of course did not want to be identified, spoke with some pride about the NNS Andoni, a made-in-Nigeria warship of the P100 class. I did not get to see the ship though.

Following the tour of the maintenance facilities, we were ‘given’ front-row seats to a training session of the Nigerian Navy’s Special Boat Service. This training was being conducted by American Delta Force operators. For those of you who may not know, Nigeria’s Special Boat Service (SBS), is a special operations unit of our Navy. It is a male only outfit, modelled after the British Special Boat Service. It’s primary focus is riverine operations, but its scope has been expanded to include counter-terrorism. On a personal note, the constant fire from the training exercise put a lot of context as to how our fellow citizens in Borno state live their daily lives.

Read about the rest of my visit to Navy Town, Ojo, here.
Re: Nigeria's Navy Is On The Right Track, And Here Is Why by F117A: 8:27am On Sep 03, 2014
Nigerian navy is the most promising branch of the military.
They are very proactive and in tune with the 21st century unlike the army and the airforce.
Re: Nigeria's Navy Is On The Right Track, And Here Is Why by F117A: 8:36am On Sep 03, 2014
I expect Nigerians to pay a visit to these dockyards and enjoy the intricacies of the indigenous ship building industry.
God bless china for the much needed technology transfer.
Re: Nigeria's Navy Is On The Right Track, And Here Is Why by Ibnsultan01: 10:15am On Sep 03, 2014
The navy is the only modern and moderately equip fighting force. In Nigeria for Now. Thanks to intellectual leadership and professionalism

(1) (Reply)

Protest @ INEC HQ, Lagos / This Was How (buhari) Constituted His Government When He Was Head Of State. / Ekiti APC Lawmakers Used Room & Palour For Their Sitting Yesterday ! (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.