Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,507 members, 7,801,333 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Is Getting A Higher Education Really Worth It Anymore? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Getting A Higher Education Really Worth It Anymore? (644 Views)

Nigeria Higher Education Foundation Scholarship Essay Competition 2016 - Apply / Buhari Declares Free Higher Education / London Academy For Higher Education (lahe) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Getting A Higher Education Really Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 03, 2014
Everyone knows that education is a very important aspect in one’s life. Without some sort of education, one can’t succeed in this world. A saying goes that “if you say education is not worth it, then try ignorance” , but is it really worth it if you can learn a trade or have a skill and use that to your advantage?

Everyone knows that the highest paid people in the world today are athletes. We hear of these people signing muti-million dollar contracts. They drive the best and most expensive cars, live in the most expensive houses and all they need to do is either kick a ball or do some competitive sport, something that a “formal” education is not needed for.

Another set of people who make mega bucks is those in the entertainment industry. Actors, musicians, comedians these days make millions if you are very good at your skill. Here in the US, it is known that actors in the popular series being shown on TV make as much as a million dollars per episode. Yet these people (except for a very few of them) don’t have Masters Degrees nor Phds. The likes of Davido, Wizkid, Michael Jackson, Tupac Shakur all made millions from their careers, but yet they all don’t have higher forms of education.

We also have the Aliko Dangotes, the Dantatas, even Bill Gates left Harvard and he is a multi-millionaire today. Baba Iyabo is a farmer, and yet he makes millions from his farm. I could go on and on. I know of so many professionals out there who make a lot of money with their research areas as Phd holders and after getting quality education, bit is it really worth it? Why do we all need to clamor for a degree which at the end of the day may not grant you a job? One foolish idiot was asking me once in Nigeria when I went for an interview whether the Masters degree I worked so hard for was an online degree. I felt like yanking him by his stupid afro and pulling out a fistful of hairs. Till today I keep on insulting the stupid guy.

I’m presently studying for my Doctorate in Computer Science, but as each day passes and I see so many of these kind of people on TV making more money than they can spend by just kicking or throwing a ball into a net, or by acting or making fools of themselves, I sometimes get discouraged.

So my question is, is it really worth the stress at all? Do we all need to stress ourselves out when the final destination is still this Dollars and Naira? Your intelligent views are welcome.
Re: Is Getting A Higher Education Really Worth It Anymore? by theplanmaker: 6:09pm On Sep 03, 2014
with the number of unemployed graduates roaming the streets, I make hold to say that university education is overrated. Even those with jobs, how much do they earn? Learn a skill, a highly valued one at that, set up your own business, and you ll be far better than a jobless graduate. I have a friend, who makes furnitures for a living. I don't think an average doctor in the civil service earns more than him
Re: Is Getting A Higher Education Really Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 03, 2014
and that is what i mean. with the shortage of jobs out there, is it really worth it going through the hassles of furthering your education only for someone who didn't even finish high school to be your boss? Most footballers and actors and entertainers earn in a week what someone can never make in a lifetime.

(1) (Reply)

Religious Studies And Philosophy Students Nationwide Let's Meet Here. / UNIZIK 2014/2015 First Admission List Is Out On JAMB Website:call 07036382167 / A Comprehensive List Of Low Tuition Universities In France

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.