Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:46 PM

My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) (42336 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / Man Selling Expired Yogurt In Kaduna Dealt With (photos) / 17 Health Benefits Of Egg Plant (garden Egg) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by otokx(m): 4:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
passion007:
Tonye001, this is brilliant. The soup looks quite tasty.
On a side note, how far is Ogbadigbo from Obollo Afor? Thanks.

The market location got me wondering too; good job any way.
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
TONYE001:

Sir, trust me, you don't want to hang halfway...lolz.. grin
grin
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Shinsam: 5:10pm On Oct 07, 2014
Good job
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 07, 2014
mmmm! looks yummy!! wink but..... tonye, are you sure that after eating this, I won't spend 8hrz in the toilet? undecided grin I would love to try it tomorrow afternoon,smiley
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by StoneColdBiceps(m): 5:17pm On Oct 07, 2014
TONYE001:
grin

The other day at the Corps Members' Lodge, I was bored, lonely, and hungry. There was nothing to eat basically because no one was around to cook. We were all away, enjoying our break (school break) which is still on, technically (no thanks to the Ebola outbreak).

...so I decided to make a pot of soup. Being an adventurer and someone that loves to try new things, I decided to cook "something" I've never done before; something out of my imagination. The idea of garden egg-cabbage-egusi soup played on my mind's screen...

Enjoy as you read through the thread...

Name of Dish: Garden egg, Cabbage, and Egusi Soup,

Location: The Corps Members' Lodge in a Remote Village in Ogbadibo LGA, Benue State,

Market (where items were bought): Enugu's Obollo-Afor Market,

Cook: Tonye001.

INGREDIENTS:

Clean water, salt, dry pepper, some cubes of maggi, palm oil, garden eggs, grounded egusi, cabbage, crayfish, bitter leaves, onions, fresh fish (iced), ogba (or ogiri).

....to be continued

Hmm, welcome to my ville(age). But y not teach em aw to cook 'okoho'? Lol
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by blank(f): 6:02pm On Oct 07, 2014
Nobody has tried it yet?
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Coldfaya(m): 6:10pm On Oct 07, 2014
Oyi better learn how to arrange okoho soup b4 u finish from ogbadibo. Orokam or owukpa. And sip enuf fresh palmie b4 u leave too. Hehehe
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by hensben(m): 6:33pm On Oct 07, 2014
how is this news

*taste the soup*......the soup nor even sweet self
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 07, 2014
On top of that big plate of garri, they still add malt join....that's why people are so oooo big!
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 07, 2014
TONYE001:

Lolz.. Yea, I just love trying new things...

If I begin to gist you of the food mixtures wey I don chop just to get a feel of the unique tastes wey them fit offer eh...lolz..(Story for another day).

I trust that you are OK over there at Kenya?.. smiley
abeg jist me oh. I love it jor. I will try it this month this your combination. But what is ogba? Haven't heard of that before.
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 8:16pm On Oct 07, 2014
Greenage:
You are not only experimental, you are also meticulous. I particularly appreciate the way you have documented the experiment. You have left a bases for people to work upon. However, i think the palm oil was too much but that's my taste you may enjoy it like that. Please apply this attiude to other areas of your life.

Thanks... smiley
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
Od31:
good recipe
Yes
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by cecildeeva: 8:32pm On Oct 07, 2014
Nice one,,,,,will try it out one day.
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 8:55pm On Oct 07, 2014
walearoy:
Be my friend TONYE001

Hello Walearoy... smiley
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by TONYE001(m): 9:04pm On Oct 07, 2014
passion007:
Tonye001, this is brilliant. The soup looks quite tasty.
On a side note, how far is Ogbadigbo from Obollo Afor? Thanks.

Not far... From my post to Afor market is about 40 - 45 minutes...
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by walearoy(m): 9:12pm On Oct 07, 2014
TONYE001:

Hello Walearoy... smiley

Hi,
Were are you serving?
I'll like to visit someday!
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by peter4d2(m): 9:17pm On Oct 07, 2014
Well call me d gr8t taster cos d village I served I ate stuffs acientt 2 me but my system was all up 2 it n guess dey all luved me s it too

I wuld b willing 2 taste ur adventure @ op but d problem ur a male.
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Expsbterror(m): 9:19pm On Oct 07, 2014
TONYE001:
MY FINDINGS AND CONCLUSION

1. The soup was thick and heavy. This may be due to the grated garden eggs, the ogba, and of course, the egusi...

2. The soup had a "seedy" appearance which was obviously due to the garden eggs used,

3. There was a unique, pleasing taste the garden eggs offered, it gave the egusi a different taste from the usual,

4. The overall taste of the soup was FANTASTIC! (as confirmed by my colleagues).

Conclusion: I may not be wrong if I call myself an Experimentalist. I love trying out new things...just for the fun of it.

My garden eggs, cabbage, and egusi soup stunt was a huge success. In fact, one of my colleagues had to eat it twice that evening!

I encourage fellow Nairalanders to give this a try at home, I'm sure you all would enjoy it.

Nairalanders, over to you... Your comments please...

Moderators, kindly help me push this to the Frontpage, please... Thanks, in advance.. smiley

Next batch shld further develop this project using the problems,conclusion nd limitations.
#vandeikya. grin nice.

NB: I guess next time the seeds from the egg shld b removed to avoid the seedlike view nd then dry fish can follow with kanda...
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by pazienza(m): 9:35pm On Oct 07, 2014
Too much oil for my liking, O.p must be from that side. Soup looks good though,with 1/10 of the oil content,i would have liked it.
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Forwetinnah: 11:45pm On Oct 07, 2014
TONYE001:
MY FINDINGS AND CONCLUSION

1. The soup was thick and heavy. This may be due to the grated garden eggs, the ogba, and of course, the egusi...

2. The soup had a "seedy" appearance which was obviously due to the garden eggs used,

3. There was a unique, pleasing taste the garden eggs offered, it gave the egusi a different taste from the usual,

4. The overall taste of the soup was FANTASTIC! (as confirmed by my colleagues).

Conclusion: I may not be wrong if I call myself an Experimentalist. I love trying out new things...just for the fun of it.

My garden eggs, cabbage, and egusi soup stunt was a huge success. In fact, one of my colleagues had to eat it twice that evening!

I encourage fellow Nairalanders to give this a try at home, I'm sure you all would enjoy it.

Nairalanders, over to you... Your comments please...

Moderators, kindly help me push this to the Frontpage, please... Thanks, in advance.. smiley

Go PATENT am before person use am for their cookery book o.
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by fightforchange1(f): 2:36am On Oct 08, 2014
Yummy...
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by Malex111: 5:38am On Oct 08, 2014
AWESOME GOD BY MALEX
DOWNLOAD NOW @ http://sharemobile.ro/file/779818
AWESOME GOD, A TRULY INSPIRING LIVE WORSHIP BY MALEX, NOW OUT... DOWNLOAD NOW... AND WITNESS THE MIGHTY HANDS OF GOD UPON UR LIFE. BLESS U! CLICK TO DOWNLOAD OR CLICK http://sharemobile.ro/file/779818

Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by saintbukie: 9:25am On Oct 08, 2014
U tried sha! but U didn't tell us the nutritional benefits of ur new soup. Give it a name and tell us the benefits. Weldone
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by alphalpha(m): 3:23pm On Oct 08, 2014
ROSYL:
On top of that big plate of garri, they still add malt join....that's why people are so oooo big!

not persons like the OP and me. we are gifted with the ability to eat very well without gaining significant weight
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by chibuikebright(m): 4:35pm On Oct 08, 2014
please you people should stop shouting until you test the soup because i guest, this is
ofe nma nu
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by naijainfogalery: 6:47pm On Jan 01, 2015
Garden Egg is an African favorite

This variety has a brilliant red exterior and is about the size and shape of an egg, giving it the name “garden egg"

http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/garden-eggs
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by naijainfogalery: 6:49pm On Jan 01, 2015
palm oil stew is not waning in its deliciousness and its popularity.

http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/palm-oil-carotino-0-9
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by naijainfogalery: 2:34pm On Jan 02, 2015
Palm oil (also known as dendê oil, from Portuguese) is an edible vegetable oil derived from the mesocarp (reddish pulp) of the fruit of the oil palms, primarily the African oil palm Elaeis guineensis.

http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/palm-oil-carotino-0-9
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by phintohlar(f): 8:50am On Apr 16, 2015
Lemme get my jot ter & a pen 2 write dis down b4 I rate nonyen001
Re: My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) by bbstarr(f): 5:03pm On Nov 05, 2019
TONYE001:
grin

The other day at the Corps Members' Lodge, I was bored, lonely, and hungry. There was nothing to eat basically because no one was around to cook. We were all away, enjoying our break (school break) which is still on, technically (no thanks to the Ebola outbreak).

...so I decided to make a pot of soup. Being an adventurer and someone that loves to try new things, I decided to cook "something" I've never done before; something out of my imagination. The idea of garden egg-cabbage-egusi soup played on my mind's screen...

Enjoy as you read through the thread...

Name of Dish: Garden egg, Cabbage, and Egusi Soup,

Location: The Corps Members' Lodge in a Remote Village in Ogbadibo LGA, Benue State,

Market (where items were bought): Enugu's Obollo-Afor Market,

Cook: Tonye001.

INGREDIENTS:

Clean water, salt, dry pepper, some cubes of maggi, palm oil, garden eggs, grounded egusi, cabbage, crayfish, bitter leaves, onions, fresh fish (iced), ogba (or ogiri).

....to be continued

I bought some garden eggs today but they were too sweet so I couldn't eat much( I prefer bitter garden eggs). I'm too stingy to throw them away so I searched Google on how to prepare garden eggs sauce with egusi. Boom! Google led me to your thread. You know the funniest thing? I'll also be preparing this tonight at one of the corpers lodges in kwara state.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Catfish Soup A Broke Nairalander Prepared. / Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home / What Are You Eating/Drinking Right Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.