Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,162 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. (46822 Views)

Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market / Akon Signs Wizkid,psquare And Tubaba / Psquare And 2face - Possibility (with lyrics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 05, 2014
ShoryuKen: It boils down to technicality – they are not perfectionists! Iyanya was on the radio the other day, complaining bitterly, that when he was doing R'n'B, no one appreciated him, till he went local [kpangolo music]. So, if you go local, stay local, and enjoy your intermittent trips to the U.S for events like the NEA. Let the artists, that are artistes, create the art – you've got to add/subtract, come with some new, yet not polarizing, and the world will love it.
Plus their managers/A&Rs should be more proactive, rather than being Instagram celebs.

Those that care about the craft, those that research, those that are embrace efficient minimalism, will be the ones to take the music industry to the next level – people like Tay [The Box]; smooth, rhythmic delivery of international standard, while incorporating the Bongo drums to give it a somewhat local flavor.

All these guys – Tuface and co. – are just living off past glory. I'm looking to the new generation, who care about "crafting", to make it happen – Aramide, Asa, Eva, M.I, Tay, etc. smiley

u spoke well.are u into music bro
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by prof800(m): 12:59pm On Sep 05, 2014
This is not different from their previous hits... Funny you are just seeing it.
The video looks similar to the 'do me' video plus 'testimony' video put together -- same old shi.tty tracks.

I don't hate Psquare. I'm a believer in their group.
I think they are more talented than what they are giving nigerians, but they have no choice because they believe it is what nigerians want.

As regards breaking into US market, I think they CAN achieve that. Afterall, there are worst shi.tty stuffs in US.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Sweetlemon(f): 12:59pm On Sep 05, 2014
Just saw the video now.

I'm still trying to figure out how the video or even the song warrants such criticism.

Well.......... they could reduce the number of girls in their videos though.

6 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 05, 2014
Just watched the first minute. Production (video and audio) was very amateur. I guess the budget got spent on T.I.

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Dennison27(m): 1:00pm On Sep 05, 2014
johnwizey: We are on the same side on this. The video is rubbish, the song no sweet sef. When I downloaded the video and showed it to a friend he merely asked me to forward it to TI's part. I think they are loosing it and they should try and go back to the old Psquare we knew. They should try and be original and not try to sound like one foreign artist.
end time thnx
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Cwaya(m): 1:00pm On Sep 05, 2014
Bigsteveg:

So game over sold 8 million copies!!! One day someone will tell u ur mum is not ur mother and u'll believe without processing it with ur brain. grin

Same people that told us and keeps records of Michael Jackson world best selling album, 50cent In da club album, 2face 12th world top selling album in 2weeks etc....

Leave my mama outta this!

2 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by hensben(m): 1:00pm On Sep 05, 2014
Emeca:

justin who?? Am not dat into rap music bt am sure Eminem is still alive.
justin bibier is not a rapper lol, he is one overrated kid
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Neldrizzy(m): 1:04pm On Sep 05, 2014
johnwizey: We are on the same side on this. The video is rubbish, the song no sweet sef. When I downloaded the video and showed it to a friend he merely asked me to forward it to TI's part. I think they are loosing it and they should try and go back to the old Psquare we knew. They should try and be original and not try to sound like one foreign artist.
you guys are saying arrant nonsense!!! If they (psquare ) were trying 2 sound like the Americans i don't think they would hav name the song "ejeajo".......
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Sep 05, 2014
a bit long.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Sunshinelady(f): 1:05pm On Sep 05, 2014
RedEboe: Till date I have been unable to watch Psquare's Ejeajo music video from begining to end for no other reason than the fact that i find that video/song utterly disgraceful.

Most devoted/diehard Psquare fans feel the same way too, but many will not say a word; some keep on replaying Ejeajo, hoping the song will eventually grow on them...its not happening.

Psquare has released its first major flop and the inclusion of American rapper T.I will not save them this time around.

The Ejeajo song sounded below average, ordinary, nothing catchy, no rhythm and to sum it all up, totally tasteless. It seems as though the sole purpose of this song was just to feature T.I and break into the American market.

I can bet my very last kobo that any American (Black) who's opportuned to watch Ejeajo video will laugh off his seat saying, "Who are these African booty scratchers trying too hard to sound like us and dance better than Usher?"
I felt the same way watching Peter Okoye putting in so much "gra gra" into his dance moves.

But on a serious note, about Nigerian artistes wanting to break into the American market; do these Nigerian artistes think that the Jay Zs, P Diddys and Dr Dre's will sit back and watch Nigerian music break into US Hip hop market? Especially in an America where music and sports are the few things black Americans can really hold on to. So they (Black American artistes) will allow some black African musician to come in and steal their domestic market share?

Nigerian music is already big in many African countries like Kenya,Zambia,Ghana and even South Africa. Do we think indigenous artistes and music promoters in these African countries are happy with Nigerians dominating their respective music scenes?

Why will Black Americans not stay proactive and stop Nigerian music from gaining foothold in their market?

Now here's the truth,someone should tell Psquare that its time to go back to the drawing board and re-invent themselves. I don't know the duo's football age but i'm guessing they are in their mid thirties. When dancing musicians start growing older or maturing, they concentrate more on the quality of their music, where more matured dance steps are incorporated. 'Matured dance steps' here simply means slow but sleeker dance moves, just like USHER in GOOD KISSER. And definitely not the 'gra gra' Peter Okoye was showcasing in Ejeajo, epecially to a lousy song.

I think it's time the Okoye twins take a break from music for some time; perhaps they can go concentrate on their respective marriages or try to mentor younger musicians with the ability to sing and dance.

After a few years, Psquare can return with a new style and sound.

For now,Psquare has lost it and i hope their closest fans and admirers tell them this truth before it's too late.

Remember Dbanj?
. Seun & co, sori to say but are u pple high on cheap weed to hav brought dis nonsense on FP? Dis OP is a saddist. I loved Ejeajo video & still lov it weneva i watch it. D OP if he was reasonabl wuld hav made constructiv criticisms of d video (if any) insted of dismissin it totally as if , if dey giv him microphone he wuld be abl to make out anythin from his croaky voice. D only lil criticism I hav of d video is dat Paul is a better & smoother dancer & shuld feature more, Peter can dance but tends to dance more forcefully. But all d same d video rocks

7 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Sep 05, 2014
hensben: justin bibier is not a rapper lol, he is one overrated kid

Actually he's incredibly talented. He was playing the piano and the guitar expertly at a very young age, and singing songs to artists and blowing them away. He got discovered on youtube. Watch the videos of him when he was a kid, and you'll know what musical talent is.

When you see Usher's face when he sang his own somg to him, you'll understand why there was a bidding war to sign him.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 05, 2014
Sweetlemon: Just saw the video now.

I'm still trying to figure out how the video or even the song warrants such criticism.

Well.......... they could reduce the number of girls in their videos though.
Were there too many video vixens?
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by hensben(m): 1:09pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya:

Actually he's incredibly talented. He was playing the piano and the guitar expertly at a very young age, and singing songs to artists and blowing them away. He got discovered on youtube. Watch the videos of him when he was a kid, and you'll know what musical talent is.

When you see Usher's face when he sang his own somg to him, you'll understand why there was a bidding war to sign him.
yeah i know he is good but they overrate him too much
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by tuffgongjo(m): 1:09pm On Sep 05, 2014
Johnnoah1st: dis small kids of nairaland self, anytime dey manage load recharge card and mtn dash dem free mb, na to rush come nairaland come post trash, while forgetting to connect there brain with there hands before posting something on public forum.
Guy you harsh o,take it on d dude now abeg.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by merieam16(f): 1:09pm On Sep 05, 2014
Una welldone o, hw market? Just passin by singin in psquare voice *with ur bizzy body eeehhhh

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Sunshinelady(f): 1:10pm On Sep 05, 2014
yuzjet: Hmmmmm! Ur opnions ni yen ☺º°˚˚°ºo

As long as it is Psquare, there's always something unique about their music. And, I'll still choose them over some other lacklustres Nigerian music.

They only want to let American know. And now, America don know! Shikena...

Edited...... I bet some people are suffering from a phobia dat hasn't been discovered yet. How could u condemned dis one unique video from one of the unique African Artists

Just watched the video and it was a uniqueness @its best from the duo. A video dat both Jude Engees Okoye and Clarence Peters directed together.

@OP, tell us what's wrong with u?
. I swear I can't understand wats wrong wit dat OP, mayb he is blind , deaf & dumb or somthin , because dat Ejeajo video is truelly unique & classy

6 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by kernel504(m): 1:11pm On Sep 05, 2014
RedEboe: Till date I have been unable to watch Psquare's Ejeajo music video from begining to end for no other reason than the fact that i find that video/song utterly disgraceful.

Most devoted/diehard Psquare fans feel the same way too, but many will not say a word; some keep on replaying Ejeajo, hoping the song will eventually grow on them...its not happening.

Psquare has released its first major flop and the inclusion of American rapper T.I will not save them this time around.

The Ejeajo song sounded below average, ordinary, nothing catchy, no rhythm and to sum it all up, totally tasteless. It seems as though the sole purpose of this song was just to feature T.I and break into the American market.

I can bet my very last kobo that any American (Black) who's opportuned to watch Ejeajo video will laugh off his seat saying, "Who are these African booty scratchers trying too hard to sound like us and dance better than Usher?"
I felt the same way watching Peter Okoye putting in so much "gra gra" into his dance moves.

But on a serious note, about Nigerian artistes wanting to break into the American market; do these Nigerian artistes think that the Jay Zs, P Diddys and Dr Dre's will sit back and watch Nigerian music break into US Hip hop market? Especially in an America where music and sports are the few things black Americans can really hold on to. So they (Black American artistes) will allow some black African musician to come in and steal their domestic market share?

Nigerian music is already big in many African countries like Kenya,Zambia,Ghana and even South Africa. Do we think indigenous artistes and music promoters in these African countries are happy with Nigerians dominating their respective music scenes?

Why will Black Americans not stay proactive and stop Nigerian music from gaining foothold in their market?

Now here's the truth,someone should tell Psquare that its time to go back to the drawing board and re-invent themselves. I don't know the duo's football age but i'm guessing they are in their mid thirties. When dancing musicians start growing older or maturing, they concentrate more on the quality of their music, where more matured dance steps are incorporated. 'Matured dance steps' here simply means slow but sleeker dance moves, just like USHER in GOOD KISSER. And definitely not the 'gra gra' Peter Okoye was showcasing in Ejeajo, epecially to a lousy song.

I think it's time the Okoye twins take a break from music for some time; perhaps they can go concentrate on their respective marriages or try to mentor younger musicians with the ability to sing and dance.

For now,Psquare has lost it and i hope their closest fans and admirers tell them this truth before it's too late.

Remember Dbanj?

You have a point, but then remember "No venture, No success".
And it doesn't mean they're failure, is called "attempt".They still remain champion coming all the way from Africa.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Neldrizzy(m): 1:11pm On Sep 05, 2014

Remember Dbanj?
what do you Nigerians actually want?? They sing love song, you complain, they sing party song, you also complain dat they r copying, they dance, you complain, is either yu pple complain of 2much repeatation of lyrics or you complain of copying of beat..... Oga see ehn, this ejeajo song is 1st of its kind in Nigeria! The pattern is different and unique And they deserve applause for the effort, give them their credit pls or are you a hatter or sadist??

10 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by iceberylin(m): 1:11pm On Sep 05, 2014
i Believe
[quote
author=melojames]M.I and Wizkid are the two big Nigerian artists i
believe can break into the American music industry.[/quote]
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 1:12pm On Sep 05, 2014
hensben: yeah i know he is good but they overrate him too much

He was a cute preteen boy with an incredible voice, backed by USHER. Standard formula to drive little girls batshit crazy. He's not the first, he won't be the last.

If Chris Brown had been white, when he was still a "good boy" it would've been exactly the same. Even as it was, girls were gaga for him.

And those girls drive the market.

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Emeca: 1:12pm On Sep 05, 2014
hensben: justin bibier is not a rapper lol, he is one overrated kid

am talking of d hottest artiste right now taking every music genre into account.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Sweetlemon(f): 1:13pm On Sep 05, 2014
CFCfan:
Were there too many video vixens?

Yea. Just like Do Me, Testimony, Temptation, and most of their other party song videos. That's my only problem with them. Aside that, they are near perfect.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by musicwriter(m): 1:14pm On Sep 05, 2014
What will you do, if you see an artiste that do not sing with fake acent but promote Africa?.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by tuffgongjo(m): 1:15pm On Sep 05, 2014
RFella: True word......they should knw entertainment is all about constant upgrading, else the more vibrant and upcoming ones"ll push u out of the market...pls where's Ruggedman grin
Ruggedman is betwixt Maheeda's leg,na joke o

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by officialcharlz(m): 1:15pm On Sep 05, 2014
frankly, i wasnt feelin d song, its nt dat kinda track i'd luv to put on replay. d MJ tin z ok buh can dey move on alredi? der are alota artistes dat MJ influenced buh show it in a subtle way. dey need to up dier game. look at 2baba.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by sucess001(m): 1:16pm On Sep 05, 2014

Remember Dbanj?

i agree that the song and video was wack...

however, you need to also realise that the sound was tailored to sounds tha americans like...

it was madeor an american audience....

still i tkhey can do better....

and OP...even if the song is wack...featuring TI alone will ensure they reman relevant and theeir internatonal profile will keep growing...

its t all jayz or kanye's songs dt makes sen but all thier sons ensure they are 'visible'.

thy may not hit the US music industry with a bang but trust me, they now have a lot of following in the US.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by yuzjet(m): 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2014
Sunshinelady: . I swear I can't understand wats wrong wit dat OP, mayb he is blind , deaf & dumb or somthin , because dat Ejeajo video is truelly unique & classy

Something must have befalled on him, just saying....

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by hensben(m): 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya:

He was a cute preteen boy with an incredible voice, backed by USHER. Standard formula to drive little girls batshit crazy. He's not the first, he won't be the last.

If Chris Brown had been white, when he was still a "good boy" it would've been exactly the same. Even as it was, girls were gaga for him.

And those girls drive the market.
hmm..i am just hearing that for the first time.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by otokx(m): 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2014
melojames: M.I and Wizkid are the two big Nigerian artists i believe can break into the American music industry.

Fela Kuti, Femi Kuti broke into that industry long long time ago.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Biggiestep(m): 1:18pm On Sep 05, 2014
cant say any thing abt dis than you just get a life
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by MztrChukwu(m): 1:19pm On Sep 05, 2014
melojames: M.I and Wizkid are the two big Nigerian artists i believe can break into the American music industry.

Which kid r u talking abt Biko?

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by joelenesleek(f): 1:19pm On Sep 05, 2014
Dreyl: They re busy making massive money with their craps while you are here hating,eating garri everyday,sorry for you.
Dude not everything is hate. I am no fan of them but I like some of their music because it's more like them even though they have songs that sound the same. They should just stick to Africa than trying to go over the Atlantic to embarrass themselves, Music is been appreciated by it's originality.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Kingdom Wins Nigerian Idol 2021 (Season 6) / 10 Nigerian Artistes Who Defy The Usual Lyrics Of Butts And Boobs / Davido Performs At Eniola Badmus' 20 Years On Stage Party, Bows To Greet Kwam 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.