Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,768 members, 7,802,350 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday (31956 Views)

See The Lizard With Funny Tail I Saw Close To My Lab, Today. / What The Earth Would Look Like If The Planets Were As Close As The Moon / Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by tmx21(m): 7:27am On Sep 05, 2014
A newly discovered asteroid will pass “very close” to Earth on Sunday, NASA says.
The space rock is estimated to be 60 feet (18 meters) long. It’s expected to fly over New Zealand about 2:18 p.m. EDT (18:18 GMT).
It won’t hit Earth or any of the thousands of satellites orbiting the planet, NASA says. It will give astronomers and scientists a chance to study it.
The asteroid won’t be visible the naked eye, but amateur astronomers should be able to see it with telescopes.
Called 2014 RC, the asteroid was discovered on August 31 by the Catalina Sky Survey near Tucson, Arizona.
NASA’s Near Earth Object Program estimates there arethousands of asteroids that could threaten Earth, but experts say none of the ones being tracked are expected to hit the planet anytime soon.
Sometimes, though, space rocks sneak by the scientists and amateur astronomers who track them. On February 15, 2013, a nearly 60-foot-wide meteor plunged into Earth’s atmosphere and exploded over the Russian city of Chelyabinsk with the force of about 30 nuclear bombs. The blast injured about 1,500 people.
The Chelyabinsk meteor was undetected before it was spotted by local residents as it streaked across the sky. It exploded on the same day that Asteroid 2012 DA14, one that was being carefully tracked by NASA, safely passed by Earth.
NASA is trying to speed up the way it tracks potentially hazardous asteroids and to learn how to deflect rocks that threaten Earth. ItsAsteroid Initiative includes a plan to capture an asteroid and tug it into orbit around the moon in the 2020s. If it works, astronauts will land on the asteroid, take samples and bring them back to Earth.
www.punchng.com/news/asteroid-to-pass-close-to-earth-on-sunday/

6 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Bholutife18(f): 7:41am On Sep 05, 2014
Ouch! I pray it doesnt take earth as last burst stop.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 05, 2014
Oh.....but its not my business.
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by tejpot(m): 8:09am On Sep 05, 2014
Although I love space stuffs, but if the Asteroid is not going to hit the Earth, if its not going to be visible to the naked eye and if it's not going to pass over Nigeria even West Africa, why is it a news? Apart from that the mesosphere is a layer of the atmosphere that is designed to shield us from all of these asteroids mishap

27 Likes

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Dsegsam(m): 8:09am On Sep 05, 2014
Bholutife18: Ouch! I pray it doesm take earth as last bust stop.
Amen oooooo

1 Like

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by guttentag(m): 8:09am On Sep 05, 2014
Will that bring an end to ebola virus?

2 Likes

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Nobody: 8:09am On Sep 05, 2014
Bholutife18: Ouch! I pray it doesm take earth as last bust stop.
No babe its not gonna hit earth. Even if it does, I'll keep you safe. You'll be safe in my arms.

9 Likes

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 05, 2014
It's an Alien surveillance comet. Don't be deceive prepare your Homes.

4 Likes

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Brahms(m): 8:10am On Sep 05, 2014
tejpot: T
Kasynpaulsyn1997: .

Bet why?

12 Likes

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by deeptechcool(m): 8:10am On Sep 05, 2014
Asteroid ko, Nisterooy ni

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by dude99(m): 8:11am On Sep 05, 2014
hmmm!first time on front page!I must watch its passing.
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Canme4u(m): 8:11am On Sep 05, 2014
Good Morning Nigeria

and

God Bless Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by eemalex(m): 8:12am On Sep 05, 2014
If it hit the earth an alien evolves
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by adrainuche(m): 8:12am On Sep 05, 2014

1 Like

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Neroanna(f): 8:12am On Sep 05, 2014
Its none of my business.
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by emmyw(m): 8:12am On Sep 05, 2014
Ok
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by nwaobitex: 8:12am On Sep 05, 2014
ok o
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by wisedrugz: 8:13am On Sep 05, 2014
Ok I hav one telescope at home anybdy who wants to see it can cm around
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Nobody: 8:13am On Sep 05, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: Oh.....but its not my business.
_

...except when it explodes over your head and you die.

22 Likes

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Nobody: 8:13am On Sep 05, 2014
I hope say no side effect o
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by nwachinemelu(m): 8:13am On Sep 05, 2014
End time tins...
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by RayMcBlue(m): 8:13am On Sep 05, 2014
Aliens are passing through. tongue
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by dridowu: 8:13am On Sep 05, 2014
tmx21:
The asteroid won’t be visible the naked eye, but amateur astronomers should be able to see it with telescopes.
So not visible to the naked eye, so any amateur astronomers in the house that will get me telescopes

India Girl Marry Dog (Detail Pics and Video) https://www.nairaland.com/1886677/indian-girl-marries-dog-warn
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Elnino4ladies: 8:14am On Sep 05, 2014
Space booked
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Weezystar1(m): 8:14am On Sep 05, 2014
space booked
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by slap1(m): 8:14am On Sep 05, 2014
Where's it going to?

1 Like

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by MrRhymes101(m): 8:14am On Sep 05, 2014
is it going to heaven?? I won send am to person abeg

3 Likes

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by kayce911(f): 8:14am On Sep 05, 2014
Thank you NASA, thank you US

8 Likes

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 05, 2014
Afghanistan:
No babe its not gonna hit earth. Even if it does, I'll keep you safe. You'll be safe in my arms.
_

No, she'll be dead in your dead arms.

29 Likes

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by itsIYKE(m): 8:14am On Sep 05, 2014
They shuld call superman to push it away nd save the day cool

9 Likes

Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by nwachinemelu(m): 8:14am On Sep 05, 2014
End time tins...!
Re: Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth On Sunday by AFOHYBEE(m): 8:15am On Sep 05, 2014
So shuld I start runing up and down matchaw....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

First Anti-Aging Pills To Hit Shelves In 2028, Expert Predicts / 5 Planets to Line Up In The Sky In Rare Space Showcase ( Pics) / This Snake Was Killed In Our Factory. What's The Name - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.