Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,881 members, 7,806,542 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names (2461 Views)

Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by thinkdip(m): 9:56am On Sep 06, 2014
Well if u were born in the millennium era, you might not understand what am saying. Now, I have realised that our ancient birth yoruba names which was always given to us through the way we came out from the womb when we were given birth to had faded away. Now, what we bear now is the western culture names and forget our ancient yoruba names..some are the name I know and while I feel we should continue naming our child at least one of these names so as to carry our culture ahead.

1-IGE-It was well known that when a child at the point of birth come out with the leg first, this child is always called IGE
2-OKE-A child who is covered around with a sac when given birth to
3-OJO-When a child is been given birth to with the umbilical cord crossed around his neck
4-DADA-When a child comes out with hard coiled hair at birth.
Well am OJO, but most of these names are no where to be found again..why?
Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by perry2020(f): 10:00am On Sep 06, 2014
Civilization has swept it under the carpet.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 06, 2014
I know people of this generation who still bear those names.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by eph12(m): 10:17am On Sep 06, 2014
Forgotten maybe but names don't define who a person is or what he's gonna be so not so important

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by thinkdip(m): 10:31am On Sep 06, 2014
eph12: Forgotten maybe but names don't define who a person is or what he's gonna be so not so important
sure the names doesn't define your person, but the culture? Doesn't it demand we uphold it?
Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by eph12(m): 10:41am On Sep 06, 2014
thinkdip: sure the names doesn't define your person, but the culture? Doesn't it demand we uphold it?
Culture? Tell me where has our culture and beliefs taken us to? Idgaf about any culture and please this is my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by Funjosh(m): 12:09pm On Sep 06, 2014
How about these onces,
APEKE
ASAKE
ABIKE
AMOKE
AINA
ABAKE
AKANJI
AREMU
AKANMU
AKANNI
ATANDA
They are going gradualy now.

While we are hearing names like
SUSSY
JENNY
KENNY
SAMMY
PILE
BLIND
FUNKIE
LOLIPOP
STOOL

Am still wondering while we bear all those baby names self.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by macof(m): 7:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
eph12:
Culture? Tell me where has our culture and beliefs taken us to? Idgaf about any culture and please this is my opinion.

You must be a bastrd child for uttering such nonsense. People like you are the reasons why African values are being polluted and there's so much chaos and corruption in society

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by eph12(m): 8:53pm On Sep 11, 2014
macof:

You must be a bastrd child for uttering such nonsense. People like you are the reasons why African values are being polluted and there's so much chaos and corruption in society
Sorry sir. Enjoy your culture cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by macof(m): 9:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
eph12:
Sorry sir. Enjoy your culture cheesy cheesy
Better grin

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by MetaPhysical: 12:23pm On Sep 12, 2014
thinkdip: Well if u were born in the millennium era, you might not understand what am saying. Now, I have realised that our ancient birth yoruba names which was always given to us through the way we came out from the womb when we were given birth to had faded away. Now, what we bear now is the western culture names and forget our ancient yoruba names..some are the name I know and while I feel we should continue naming our child at least one of these names so as to carry our culture ahead.

1-IGE-It was well known that when a child at the point of birth come out with the leg first, this child is always called IGE
2-OKE-A child who is covered around with a sac when given birth to
3-OJO-When a child is been given birth to with the umbilical cord crossed around his neck
4-DADA-When a child comes out with hard coiled hair at birth.
Well am OJO, but most of these names are no where to be found again..why?

Good point!

We had pride in these names back in the days when it was common to see in the community people in danshiki, kembe, bante, buba, iro, ibori, fila, agbada and so on... Yoruba identity was vivid!

You look around today in the communities people are in jeans, shirts, cargo pants, skirts, blouse, tie, suits. Yoruba identity is blurred.

The consciousness for Yoruba nationality must be accompanied by Yoruba identity in public places. This has to be driven by policy makers at the top. Our leaders are academia-centric, they view Western ideologies as an ideal standard and thus shape our society to be as close to that as is possible.

This is my view!

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by kingston277(m): 5:04pm On Sep 12, 2014
perry2020: Civilization has swept it under the carpet.
Then technically it should've happened millennia ago.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by kingston277(m): 5:05pm On Sep 12, 2014
eph12:
Go read the Oyo, Ife Kingdoms and weep at your current, sorry state.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by eph12(m): 5:18pm On Sep 12, 2014
kingston277:
Go read the Oyo, Ife Kingdoms and weep at your current, sorry state.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by thinkdip(m): 8:27pm On Sep 12, 2014
MetaPhysical:

Good point!

We had pride in these names back in the days when it was common to see in the community people in danshiki, kembe, bante, buba, iro, ibori, fila, agbada and so on... Yoruba identity was vivid!

You look around today in the communities people are in jeans, shirts, cargo pants, skirts, blouse, tie, suits. Yoruba identity is blurred.

The consciousness for Yoruba nationality must be accompanied by Yoruba identity in public places. This has to be driven by policy makers at the top. Our leaders are academia-centric, they view Western ideologies as an ideal standard and thus shape our society to be as close to that as is possible.

This is my view!
Your view is on point
Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by macof(m): 9:05pm On Sep 12, 2014
eph12:
never heard of oyo or ife Kingdom?

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by tpiander: 11:30pm On Jul 01, 2015
eph12:
Forgotten maybe but names don't define who a person is or what he's gonna be so not so important

sometimes they do.
Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by tpiander: 11:30pm On Jul 01, 2015
thinkdip:
sure the names doesn't define your person, but the culture? Doesn't it demand we uphold it?

names change over time.
Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by amor4ce(m): 4:22am On Jul 02, 2015
The names are preserved in the Ifa literary corpus and are still born by Ifa devotees.
Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by tpiander: 5:33am On Jul 02, 2015
i think now they are mostly descriptive, instead of being given names.
Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 02, 2015
Funjosh:
How about these onces,

While we are hearing names like
SUSSY
JENNY
KENNY
SAMMY
PILE
BLIND
FUNKIE
LOLIPOP
STOOL

Am still wondering while we bear all those baby names self.

You forgot to add these names:

SAHEED
SIKIRU
WASIU
IDIAT
SHAKIRAT
RAUFU ETC
Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by absoluteSuccess: 2:37pm On Jul 02, 2015
walexy30:

You forgot to add these names:

SAHEED
SIKIRU
WASIU
IDIAT
SHAKIRAT
RAUFU ETC
Growing up on the street then with other kids with weird names sometimes get me noughts. one boy answers mongidi (aburo kaxim) I kept wandering if the father purposely do that to punish the child when we were children. the name was strange to me then, thank God for refinement, when Yoruba handle your foreign name, shame go catch you deny yourself.
Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by tpiander: 4:33pm On Jul 02, 2015
I prefer saidi to saheed, for some reason.
Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by absoluteSuccess: 10:26pm On Jul 02, 2015
tpiander:
I prefer saidi to saheed, for some reason.
The refined one is okay for trained tongue.
Re: What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names by tpiar: 5:06pm On Dec 09, 2015
what are the really ancient Yoruba names besides the ones mentioned by the op which btw might not be as ancient as the extremely olden days ones.

(1) (Reply)

"Kill The Imbaise Man Before The Snake",are They So Wicked? / Rebuttal- Why Are Igbos Trying So Hard To Claim Delta Igbos Are Igbos. / All You Need To Know About Igbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.